|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 10-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hyeonseo heard the news that some local young women had been caught listening to South Korean pop music, what was their allocated punishment?
(a) They are forced to move to a different county.
(b) They are executed.
(c) They are sentenced to a prison camp.
(d) They are exiled from North Korea.
2. Hyeonseo says that she has learned that people can do without almost anything, but they cannot do without what?
3. How long after Hyeonseo's father disappeared did the family hear that he had been released to a hospital in Hyesan?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
4. What does seo mean in Korean?
(b) Good fortune.
5. To what figure is Chapter 14's title referring in its statement that "The great heart has stopped beating" on the chapter's title page?
(a) Kim Il-sung.
(b) Kim Jong-Il.
(c) Hyeonseo's father.
(d) Kim Jong-un.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that while schooling in North Korea is technically free, what other condition is true?
2. Hyeonseo says that her parents' jobs and business dealings meant that her family had enough what?
3. Only members of which class are allowed to live in Pyongyang?
4. Whose daughter told Hyeonseo that illegal South Korean pop cassettes could be bought discreetly from certain dealers?
5. Attendance at what event is mandatory for children from the time they enter North Korean elementary school?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)