|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 19-30.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Geun-soo doing when he gets on the phone with Hyeonseo and asks her to come back?
(d) Playing a video game.
2. When Hyeonseo's Uncle Jung-gil tells her that Kim Jong-Il had not been born in Korea, where does he say Kim Jong-il had been born instead?
3. Why does Hyeonseo's mother carry a candle to the door when meeting Hyeonseo's future father and her future husband for the second time?
(a) Because her father does not permit her to waste money on electricity at night.
(b) Because she thinks it will lend a romantic air to their reunion.
(c) Because the power in the city is out.
(d) Because the power in the country is out.
4. At what age are North Koreans forced to join the Socialist Youth League?
5. After Hyeonseo talks her way out of the men's salon, in what type of vehicle does she escape?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A tuk-tuk.
(c) A bus.
(d) A taxi.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that while schooling in North Korea is technically free, what other condition is true?
2. When Hyeonseo's mother tells her not to come back to Hyesan because the family is under suspicion due to Hyeonseo's absence, what does she tell Hyeonseo she plans to do?
3. During what activity does the author say is the only time she and her classmates called each other "comrade" (33)?
4. What key word does Hyeonseo tell herself when she is trying to make it through her interrogation successfully?
5. Who stands up for Hyeonseo when the customer yells that Hyeonseo has misunderstood his request because she is North Korean?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)