|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dangerfield call his landlady during dinner?
(a) To tell her he will be out of town for two weeks.
(b) To ask if his fiancee can stay in his room.
(c) To ask her to close his window since it looks like rain.
(d) To tell her that he left a hot plate on.
2. Dangerfield is drinking ___________ from a bottle stashed in the pouch of the kangaroo costume.
3. What does Mary comment on when she sees Dangerfield naked for his bath?
(a) How thin he is.
(b) How hairy he is.
(c) How he has gained some weight.
(d) How broad his shoulders are.
4. What does a chambermaid's suggestion prompt Dangerfield to do?
(a) Get some sleep.
(b) Eat dinner.
(c) Tidy his room.
(d) Take a bath.
5. What had some policemen found washed up on the shore?
(a) A suicide note in a whiskey bottle.
(b) A barrel of oil.
(c) A life preserver.
(d) A nude woman's body.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dangerfield go as he waits for his boat to London?
2. What does Miss Frost prepare for Dangerfield before bedtime?
3. Where does Dangerfield put the coins that are tossed at him at the pubs?
4. Why does Dangerfield sneak into the landlady's bedroom?
5. Where does Dangerfield rent a room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Marion refuses to give Dangerfield any money?
2. Describe the dire straits in which Tony Malarkey is living.
3. What is the relationship between Dangerfield and Miss Frost at this point?
4. At whose expense does Dangerfield live a better life in London?
5. Why does Mary's bath symbolize her new life?
6. Why does Dangerfield believe that his father's death is the end to all of Dangerfield's problems?
7. What is the role of women in Ireland as evidenced by the lives of Lilly and Mary?
8. Why is religion an important theme in the novel?
9. Why is Dangerfield so devastated by the terms of his father's will?
10. Why is Miss Frost so conflicted by having sex with Dangerfield?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)