|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dangerfield receive in the mail in Chapter 17?
(a) A notice of inheritance.
(b) His G.I. Bill check.
(c) Divorce papers.
(d) A registered letter.
2. What name does Dangerfield tell Mary to use when she corresponds with him?
(a) Lord Darlington.
(b) Clayton Whittington.
(c) Percivil Bettermere.
(d) James Hall IV.
3. What prompts Dangerfield to run from the house?
(a) Skully appears.
(b) Someone is breaking in.
(c) The sound of a mob approaching.
(d) A fire starts.
4. Why is Mary stuck at home for awhile yet?
(a) She has a newborn and can't afford to move out.
(b) She is still in high school.
(c) She's trying to save money for her own place.
(d) She cares for her father and brothers.
5. What does Lilly tell Dangerfield about how they should communicate?
(a) They should make brief phone calls.
(b) They should send telegrams only.
(c) They should not write each other.
(d) They should write every day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tony Malarkey living behind a bolted door in his apartment?
2. What does Dangerfield wear when he, MacDoon and Parnell go out drinking?
3. What does O'Keefe demand from Dangerfield?
4. Why does Dangerfield sneak into the landlady's bedroom?
5. Who is the girl that Dangerfield talks to at the party in #90?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the worlds of Mary and Dangerfield.
2. How do Dangerfield and Lilly differ in their views about consequences?
3. Describe the dire straits in which Tony Malarkey is living.
4. What is the role of women in Ireland as evidenced by the lives of Lilly and Mary?
5. What is Dangerfield's new plan to move to London and does he ask Miss Frost to go with him?
6. How does Dangerfield's upswing in Chapter 19 come at the expense of Mary and O'Keefe?
7. Why does Dangerfield relent and go to the party Clocklan invited him to attend?
8. Why does Dangerfield believe that his father's death is the end to all of Dangerfield's problems?
9. What objective has O'Keefe still not attained in his life?
10. Why is Miss Frost so conflicted by having sex with Dangerfield?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)