|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Amy read the diary?
2. Why is Amy in a hotel room?
3. What does Hope tell Lonoff he is frightened to lose?
4. How far is Lonoff behind schedule in the morning in Chapter 4?
5. How much interest is Lonoff's money in the bank earning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amy do when she receives the copy of the book?
2. According to the story in Chapter 3, why does Amy take a new name?
3. Zuckerman notices that Lonoff has also changed at breakfast. To what does Zuckerman attribute the change in Lonoff and Hope?
4. According to Chapter 3, why does Lonoff drive to New York in the middle of the night?
5. Why does Amy want a room with a telephone?
6. How does the diary come to be published?
7. Why does Hope think she has embarrassed Amy in Chapter 4?
8. Why does Amy make marks in her copy of Anne Frank's diary?
9. What does Hope come down the stairs with in Chapter 4?
10. Why does Amy say she wrote and kept the diary while in hiding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Ghost Writer," one chapter is devoted to Zuckerman's imagining of Amy as Anne Frank. Write a response explaining why Zuckerman comes up with this imagined scenario. What impact does this imagined story have on the plot? How does the story impact the characters, if at all? Use specific references to the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Ghost Writer," Zuckerman worships "high art," while Lonoff tends to dismiss it. Write a response exploring the pros and cons of worshiping this "high art." How do the characters demonstrate these pros and cons? Use specific references to the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Roth, a Jewish writer, also uses Jewish characters in his story. Those characters, in turn, reference other Jews and Jewish traditions and beliefs. Write a response exploring the importance of Zuckerman's repeated references to Anne Frank in light of being Jewish. Use specific references to the story in the response.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)