|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who slams the bedroom door in Chapter 4?
2. In what country was Amy/Anne supposed to reunite with her family?
3. In what month were the Franks' whereabouts betrayed?
4. What does Amy say she has to be to everyone?
5. At breakfast, Nathan references Henry James' line, "the consequences of his" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amy realize when she hears the woman say "Oh, no" in the theater?
2. How does the diary come to be published?
3. Why does Hope storm out of the kitchen in Chapter 4?
4. What does Amy believe she has the power to teach through the diary, if she remains dead to everyone?
5. Why does Hope think Amy wants to take her place as Lonoff's companion?
6. How does Amy obtain a copy of "Het Achterhuis?"
7. Why does Amy make marks in her copy of Anne Frank's diary?
8. To whom does Zuckerman compare Anne Frank when he is talking to Amy in Chapter 4?
9. What does Amy do after leaving the dentist's office where she found the "Time" article?
10. Why does Hope think she has embarrassed Amy in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Ghost Writer," Roth explores the idea of an author's responsibility to his subjects and characters. Write a response exploring how this idea of responsibility is portrayed in the story. How does Roth connect this idea to the characters in the story? How is Roth responsible for the subjects and characters in the story? How are the writers in the story responsible for their own subjects and characters? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Roth writes "The Ghost Writer" in first person with Zuckerman as the narrator. Write a response explaining why it is important that the story is presented in first person. What does this point of view allow the reader to know about the story's plot? What does a first-person point of view deny the reader? Use specific references to the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Each of "The Ghost Writer"s four chapters has a different title. Explain the relevance of each chapter's title in relation to the events of that particular chapter. What does each chapter title mean? How does the chapter title connect to the events of that chapter? Use specific references to the story in the response.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)