|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Amy when she finds her father?
2. What color is Amy's wool cap?
3. Why does Nathan want to stay after Lonoff leaves the room in Chapter 4?
4. How much is the royalty check that Lonoff receives in Chapter 4?
5. What was the first title of the published diary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amy believe she has the power to teach through the diary, if she remains dead to everyone?
2. Why does Hope think she has embarrassed Amy in Chapter 4?
3. What does Zuckerman notice has happened to Hope at breakfast the next morning?
4. How does the diary come to be published?
5. Why does Hope tell Lonoff that he does not want her to leave?
6. Why does Amy get up from the table to leave in Chapter 4?
7. How does Amy find out about her father, according to the story in Chapter 3?
8. Zuckerman notices that Lonoff has also changed at breakfast. To what does Zuckerman attribute the change in Lonoff and Hope?
9. Why does Hope think Amy wants to take her place as Lonoff's companion?
10. Why does Hope storm out of the kitchen in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "The Ghost Writer," Roth explores the theme and idea of needing inspiration to create art. Write a response exploring this theme in the story. Which characters are looking for inspiration to create their art? Which characters and events serve as inspiration for this art? Use specific references to the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Ghost Writer," Zuckerman worships "high art," while Lonoff tends to dismiss it. Write a response exploring the pros and cons of worshiping this "high art." How do the characters demonstrate these pros and cons? Use specific references to the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Amy plays a vital role in "The Ghost Writer." Write a response exploring the role and importance of Amy to the story. How does she interact with the other main characters? Why is she important? What conflicts/events involve Amy? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)