|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did she change her name?
2. Where does Amy get a copy of the diary from?
3. What is Hope trying to leave?
4. How old is Amy's father now?
5. How does Amy burn her arm where her concentration camp number is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Amy want a room with a telephone?
2. Why does Hope think she has embarrassed Amy in Chapter 4?
3. How does Amy obtain a copy of "Het Achterhuis?"
4. Why does Hope think Amy wants to take her place as Lonoff's companion?
5. Why can Zuckerman no longer think of Amy as herself in Chapter 4?
6. Why does Amy make marks in her copy of Anne Frank's diary?
7. What does Amy do after leaving the dentist's office where she found the "Time" article?
8. According to the story in Chapter 3, why does Amy take a new name?
9. How does Amy find out about her father, according to the story in Chapter 3?
10. Why do the women at the play upset Amy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amy plays a vital role in "The Ghost Writer." Write a response exploring the role and importance of Amy to the story. How does she interact with the other main characters? Why is she important? What conflicts/events involve Amy? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Each of "The Ghost Writer"s four chapters has a different title. Explain the relevance of each chapter's title in relation to the events of that particular chapter. What does each chapter title mean? How does the chapter title connect to the events of that chapter? Use specific references to the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Roth writes "The Ghost Writer" in first person with Zuckerman as the narrator. Write a response explaining why it is important that the story is presented in first person. What does this point of view allow the reader to know about the story's plot? What does a first-person point of view deny the reader? Use specific references to the story in the response.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)