|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Amy change her name from Anne to Amy?
2. How many letters does Lonoff have?
3. Where is Amy going after breakfast in Chapter 4?
4. In what month did Amy/Anne last see her mother?
5. What does Amy say she has to be to everyone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Amy make marks in her copy of Anne Frank's diary?
2. Zuckerman notices that Lonoff has also changed at breakfast. To what does Zuckerman attribute the change in Lonoff and Hope?
3. What does Zuckerman notice has happened to Hope at breakfast the next morning?
4. What does Zuckerman imagine saying to his family as he sits at breakfast with Amy and the Lonoffs?
5. What does Amy do after leaving the dentist's office where she found the "Time" article?
6. What does Amy fear Lonoff will think about her after she tells him her story in Chapter 3?
7. Why does Amy say she wrote and kept the diary while in hiding?
8. How does Amy obtain a copy of "Het Achterhuis?"
9. What does Hope come down the stairs with in Chapter 4?
10. Why is Amy not surprised when Zuckerman tells her she looks like Anne Frank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Ghost Writer," Roth uses the theme of the importance and role of family. What role does family play for each main character (Amy, Lonoff, Hope, Zuckerman)? How is each characters' family portrayed? How do the characters' families influence the book's plot? Use specific references to the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Ghost Writer," one chapter is devoted to Zuckerman's imagining of Amy as Anne Frank. Write a response explaining why Zuckerman comes up with this imagined scenario. What impact does this imagined story have on the plot? How does the story impact the characters, if at all? Use specific references to the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Each of "The Ghost Writer"s four chapters has a different title. Explain the relevance of each chapter's title in relation to the events of that particular chapter. What does each chapter title mean? How does the chapter title connect to the events of that chapter? Use specific references to the story in the response.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)