|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month did Amy/Anne last see her mother?
2. Where is Amy staying when she calls Lonoff?
3. Who does Amy feel responsible to in Chapter 3?
4. What was the first title of the published diary?
5. Who does Nathan imagine telling his parents he is marrying in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Amy obtain a copy of "Het Achterhuis?"
2. What does Zuckerman imagine saying to his family as he sits at breakfast with Amy and the Lonoffs?
3. Why is Amy not surprised when Zuckerman tells her she looks like Anne Frank?
4. What significance does Zuckerman see in Amy's wool cap in Chapter 4?
5. Why does Hope tell Lonoff that he does not want her to leave?
6. What does Amy do when she receives the copy of the book?
7. What does Amy fear Lonoff will think about her after she tells him her story in Chapter 3?
8. How does Amy find out about her father, according to the story in Chapter 3?
9. Why does Amy get up from the table to leave in Chapter 4?
10. Why does Amy say she wrote and kept the diary while in hiding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Philip Roth tends to use some of his characters as alter egos of himself. Explore Roth's use of characters in "The Ghost Writer" as alter egos. Who is Roth's alter ego in the story? Can more than one character serve as an alter ego? How do the characters become alter egos? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Philip Roth is a Jewish writer, and many of his books focus on the treatment and conditions of Jews in America. "The Ghost Writer" is no exception to this topic. Write a response exploring how Roth views the treatment and status of Jews through "The Ghost Writer." How are Jews portrayed in the book? How does the portrayal reflect Roth's own beliefs and interpretation of the treatment of Jews? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "The Ghost Writer," Roth explores the theme and idea of needing inspiration to create art. Write a response exploring this theme in the story. Which characters are looking for inspiration to create their art? Which characters and events serve as inspiration for this art? Use specific references to the story in the response.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)