|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does the first bus north arrive?
2. What is Amy's father's name?
3. How long did the Franks live in the Amsterdam building?
4. What does Amy say Lonoff has been named when she sees the foreign postmark?
5. How many books does Lonoff have on the paperback book racks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hope come down the stairs with in Chapter 4?
2. According to Chapter 3, why does Lonoff drive to New York in the middle of the night?
3. Why do the women at the play upset Amy?
4. What does Amy do after leaving the dentist's office where she found the "Time" article?
5. Why does Amy get up from the table to leave in Chapter 4?
6. Why does Hope tell Lonoff that he does not want her to leave?
7. Why does Amy make marks in her copy of Anne Frank's diary?
8. Why does Amy want a room with a telephone?
9. To whom does Zuckerman compare Anne Frank when he is talking to Amy in Chapter 4?
10. What does Amy realize when she hears the woman say "Oh, no" in the theater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Ghost Writer", there is a reference to Henry James' "The Middle Years." Zuckerman comes across the following quote in James' story: "We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art." Write a response exploring the relevance of this quote to the story. What does the quote mean? How does it connect to the book? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Underlying themes in "The Ghost Writer" are the roles and "confusion" of fact and fiction. Write a response explaining how fact and fiction are confused and misinterpreted in the story. What elements of fiction are presented as fact? What elements are presented as fiction, but are indeed facts? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "The Ghost Writer," Roth explores the theme and idea of needing inspiration to create art. Write a response exploring this theme in the story. Which characters are looking for inspiration to create their art? Which characters and events serve as inspiration for this art? Use specific references to the story in the response.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)