|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nathan want from Lonoff in Chapter 1?
(a) Publishing rights.
(b) A place to stay.
(d) Moral sponsorship.
2. Who is the city's first Jewish mayor?
(a) Doctor Zuckerman.
(b) E.I. Lonoff.
(c) Meyer Ellenstein.
(d) Leopold Wapter.
3. How many years are there between Lonoff's first book and his sixth book?
4. What is the title of Nathan's story?
(a) The Middle Years.
(b) Higher Education.
(c) Aspects of the Novel.
(d) The Ghost Writer.
5. What kind of car does Amy drive?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lonoff tell Nathan that Amy is from?
2. How long is Nathan's short story that he references in Chapter 2?
3. What game does Sidney teach Nathan and his brother?
4. What book contains the only photograph of Lonoff?
5. What year is it in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is surprising to Zuckerman about the typewriter in Lonoff's study?
2. How does Zuckerman come to Quahsay?
3. Why does Zuckerman read Henry James' "The Middle Years" twice in one night?
4. Why does Zuckerman begin writing a letter to his father as he sits in Lonoff's study?
5. What does Zuckerman think might be a good idea for a writer based on the reactions of the New York party-goers at the publishing party?
6. Why does Amy want a room with a telephone?
7. According to the story in Chapter 3, why does Amy take a new name?
8. What does Zuckerman notice has happened to Hope at breakfast the next morning?
9. Why does Amy get up from the table to leave in Chapter 4?
10. How does Zuckerman convince Lonoff to meet with him?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)