|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is playing in Hope's kitchen?
(a) A CD player.
(b) A phonograph.
(c) A Mixmaster.
(d) A tape player.
2. Who calls Nathan at Quahsay?
(b) Judge Wapter.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
3. What does Nathan's family eat at Sunday brunch?
(a) Warm rolls and turkey.
(b) Smoked fish and warm rolls.
(c) Ham and beans.
(d) Smoked fish and potatoes.
4. How often do the buses stop at Elizabeth Ave?
(a) Every hour.
(b) Every 2 hours.
(c) Every 15 minutes.
(d) Every half-hour.
5. What does Nathan stare at, in Lonoff's study?
(a) His bed.
(b) The wall.
(c) His desk.
(d) His bench.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nathan's father contact for help in getting to a higher person for advice about Nathan's story?
2. What kind of validation does Nathan want from Lonoff?
3. What do Nathan's parents listen to on the radio on Sundays?
4. How many years are there between Lonoff's first book and his sixth book?
5. How many times does Nathan read "The Middle Years"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the girl-woman Zuckerman sees at Lonoff's house in Chapter 1.
2. Why does Zuckerman's father say everyone stopped by on the Sunday Zuckerman was home before leaving for Quahsay?
3. Why does Zuckerman say he stays up in Lonoff's study?
4. Why does Zuckerman read Henry James' "The Middle Years" twice in one night?
5. What is pinned to the bulletin board in Lonoff's office?
6. What earlier connection does Zuckerman have to Judge Wapter?
7. Why is Zuckerman skeptical of the party-goers' analysis of Lonoff?
8. Why does Zuckerman begin writing a letter to his father as he sits in Lonoff's study?
9. How does Zuckerman describe a typical Lonoff hero?
10. Describe the man Nathan Zuckerman meets in the beginning of Chapter 1.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)