|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of Jew is Judge Wapter?
2. Where does the narrator go at the beginning of the book?
(a) The Appalachians.
(b) The White House.
(c) The Adirondacks.
(d) The Berkshires.
3. Who is the man that the narrator is going to visit in Chapter 1?
(a) Nathan Zuckerman.
(b) E.I. Lonoff.
(c) Dr. Zuckerman.
(d) Otto Frank.
4. What does Lonoff leave at home during Sunday walks?
(a) His dog.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His sweater.
(d) His watch.
5. What do Nathan's parents listen to on the radio on Sundays?
(a) Church services.
(b) Classical music.
(c) The Eternal Light.
(d) The Newark Sunday papers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What battleship was Sidney on, according to Nathan's story?
2. What does Betsy do for her art?
3. Who is the city's first Jewish mayor?
4. How long have Nathan and his father not been speaking in Chapter 1?
5. Where does Amy work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zuckerman describe a typical Lonoff hero?
2. Why do the Wapters include a list of questions in their response to Zuckerman's "Higher Education" story?
3. Describe the Zuckerman family's typical Sunday brunch.
4. What does Zuckerman's first reading of Lonoff's work show him about his own life?
5. Describe the girl-woman Zuckerman sees at Lonoff's house in Chapter 1.
6. How does Zuckerman come to Quahsay?
7. Why is Zuckerman skeptical of the party-goers' analysis of Lonoff?
8. Why is Zuckerman surprised when Lonoff says nothing happens to him during their conversation in Chapter 1?
9. Describe Lonoff's living room as Zuckerman sees it in Chapter 1.
10. How does Zuckerman react to the decor in Lonoff's home?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)