|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Daisy's position at the asylum?
2. Which experiments are being conducted by Skippey that need more funding?
3. How many years ago did the events occur in Dr. Matthews' ghost story?
4. At the beginning of Part 4, Section 20, who is Fred preparing to address?
5. How many undergraduate students are at the Cavendish when Fred arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 4, Section 21, after his lecture, where does Fred go looking for "Nurse Saunders"? What does Fred discover about Daisy's new job?
2. At the beginning of Part 3, Section 14, Fred is still attempting to write a letter to Daisy. Why does he not want to throw away his previous attempts? How much contact has he actually had with Daisy at this point?
3. Who is cited concerning Fred's accident? What are the charges?
4. How does Daisy respond to Kelly's remarks during her newspaper office visit?
5. In Part 2, Section 12, why is Daisy visiting the newspaper office? What happens during the visit?
6. At the beginning of Part 3, Section 16, Mr. Wrayburn is speaking to Daisy about her involvement with Fred. What does he want Daisy to do in regards to the relationship? Why?
7. Where does Fred go after leaving the courtroom? Why?
8. In Part 3, Section 15, why does Mr. Wrayburn regret his having been hospitable to Fred and Daisy after their biking accident?
9. While waiting in the courtroom, what does Fred notice about Daisy's appearance? When does her appearance become even more noticeable to Fred?
10. While taking a country walk, where do Fred and Daisy stop? What do they find inside on the floor? What comment does Fred make after their discovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fred visits his father because he wants to share that he is now an unbeliever. He corrects his title to a "conditional unbeliever." 1) According to Fred, what is the difference between an "unbeliever" and a "conditional unbeliever"? 2) Which title is more appropriate for Fred? Why? Give at least three examples of Fred's reactions to story events that support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Fred seems to be very much in awe of the work of a particular scientist named Rutherford. Taking all of Fred's comments and actions into account, is his reverence for Rutherford genuine or a contrived? Give several details for support.
Essay Topic 3
Daisy is quite competent and confident in her Nurse Probationer's position at Blackfriars, and then one day, she mistakenly answers a question by Dr. Sage. 1) What question is posed by the doctor? 2) What is Daisy's answer? 3) What is the source of Daisy's answer? 4) Is Dr. Sage's name consistent with his response to Daisy? Why or why not?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)