|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Daisy and Fred go on their first "date"?
2. Who speaks to Daisy about the importance of Fred's marital status to his Junior Fellowship?
3. Who owns the paper?
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Section 12, who is seated in the library's reading room when Daisy enters?
5. Who visits Fred during the week of the Disobligers' Society debates?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 4, Section 22, Daisy is leaving Cambridge. What happens as she nears Guestingley Road? Who offers Daisy a ride? Why does Daisy not reach London?
2. At the beginning of Part 4, Section 20, who does Fred call after arriving back at St. Angelicus following the day in court ? Why?
3. Who is cited concerning Fred's accident? What are the charges?
4. Who comes to visit Fred in Cambridge? What does Fred reveal to the visitors?
5. Who suddenly appears in the courtroom? What knowledge does he share about the accident?
6. When Daisy returns to the hospital after visiting the newspaper, what does she discover about patient 23? Who is patient 23?
7. Where does Fred go after leaving the courtroom? Why?
8. How does Daisy respond to Kelly's remarks during her newspaper office visit?
9. While taking a country walk, where do Fred and Daisy stop? What do they find inside on the floor? What comment does Fred make after their discovery?
10. At the beginning of Part 4, Section 17, who is dwelling on the aspects of Fred's biking accident? Why? Who is fearful of this undue interest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Daisy's mother dies a short time after their visit to Selfridge's opening. 1) How does the chaos during the store's opening foreshadow upheaval in Daisy's life? 2) What analogy can be drawn from the store's "opening" to Daisy's life?
Essay Topic 2
Daisy's early life is one of poverty and love. 1) Discuss Daisy's early lifestyle with her mother in London. 2) What values were instilled in Daisy by her mother's own work ethic? 3) How could the relationship between Daisy and her mother be described? Give details for support.
Essay Topic 3
In making plans to tell his father about his unbelief, Fred overlooks the father's "human" role in a son's life. 1) Compare/contrast the two roles (minister/father) that Mr. Fairly plays in Fred's life. 2) If a parishoner approached Mr. Fairly with the same unbelief, would his reaction be different? Why or why not?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)