|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does the visitor bring to Fred?
2. Who is interviewing Daisy for a "vacancy" while riding in the country?
3. What leaving present do Daisy's co-workers give to her?
4. Where do Daisy and Fred go on their first "date"?
5. At the beginning of Part 4, Section 21, where does Fred go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Daisy respond to Kelly's remarks during her newspaper office visit?
2. Why does Daisy lose her job at the hospital? Where does she intend to seek her next job?
3. At the beginning of Part 4, Section 17, who is dwelling on the aspects of Fred's biking accident? Why? Who is fearful of this undue interest?
4. What door does Daisy reach that is standing open? What does she hear as she tries to walk away from the door? Who does she encounter as a result of a delay?
5. In Part 3, Section 15, why does Mr. Wrayburn regret his having been hospitable to Fred and Daisy after their biking accident?
6. Fred asks Daisy why she lied in court about not knowing Kelly. What answer is Fred hoping to hear from Daisy? What answer does Daisy give?
7. When Daisy returns to the hospital after visiting the newspaper, what does she discover about patient 23? Who is patient 23?
8. In Part 2, Section 12, why is Daisy visiting the newspaper office? What happens during the visit?
9. In Part 4, Section 22, Daisy is leaving Cambridge. What happens as she nears Guestingley Road? Who offers Daisy a ride? Why does Daisy not reach London?
10. At the beginning of Part 3, Section 16, Mr. Wrayburn is speaking to Daisy about her involvement with Fred. What does he want Daisy to do in regards to the relationship? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kelly is deceptive on several occasions in the story. Choose two such occasions and elaborate on what occurred.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the story, it seems that "fate" has brought Fred his wish for being with Daisy. Discuss fate's role in bringing the two face to face at the end of the story.
Essay Topic 3
The story opens with a stormy scene. The road to Cambridge has been strewn with willow branches. 1) Discuss an analogy that can be drawn between the strewn willow branches and Daisy's life. 2) How does the storm foreshadow a change in Fred's life?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)