|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sacristan take from a cupboard inside the door of the pillars?
2. What year is the setting for Dr.Matthews' story?
3. Who is Thomas Kelly?
4. Who is charged before the witnesses are allowed into the courtroom?
5. Who at Blackfriars Hospital discovers that Daisy has given information about a patient to the newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 4, Section 21, after his lecture, where does Fred go looking for "Nurse Saunders"? What does Fred discover about Daisy's new job?
2. How does Daisy respond to Kelly's remarks during her newspaper office visit?
3. Who helps Fred after his brawl with Kelly? Where do they take Kelly?
4. Who is cited concerning Fred's accident? What are the charges?
5. At the beginning of Part 4, Section 20, who does Fred call after arriving back at St. Angelicus following the day in court ? Why?
6. While waiting in the courtroom, what does Fred notice about Daisy's appearance? When does her appearance become even more noticeable to Fred?
7. Who comes to visit Fred in Cambridge? What does Fred reveal to the visitors?
8. Fred asks Daisy why she lied in court about not knowing Kelly. What answer is Fred hoping to hear from Daisy? What answer does Daisy give?
9. Who has written Fred another note about Daisy Saunders? What does the note say about Daisy?
10. When Daisy returns to the hospital after visiting the newspaper, what does she discover about patient 23? Who is patient 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss at least four instances in the book where the motif "seeing is believing" can be found. 2) Does the adage benefit or hinder the characters in each event?
Essay Topic 2
Fellows of St. Angelicus are not allowed to marry. What are possible reasons for this rule? Are the reasons still valid for continuing this practice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Fred visits his father because he wants to share that he is now an unbeliever. He corrects his title to a "conditional unbeliever." 1) According to Fred, what is the difference between an "unbeliever" and a "conditional unbeliever"? 2) Which title is more appropriate for Fred? Why? Give at least three examples of Fred's reactions to story events that support your answer.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)