|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is charged before the witnesses are allowed into the courtroom?
2. At the beginning of Part 4, Section 22, who does Fred call upon?
3. Who owns the paper?
4. Who invites Herbert Wrayburn to dine at Angels?
5. Where do Daisy and Fred go on their first "date"?
Short Essay Questions
1. While waiting in the courtroom, what does Fred notice about Daisy's appearance? When does her appearance become even more noticeable to Fred?
2. Who comes to visit Fred in Cambridge? What does Fred reveal to the visitors?
3. Who is cited concerning Fred's accident? What are the charges?
4. Why is Daisy back in Cambridge in Part 3, Section 14? Where is she staying and why?
5. At the beginning of Part 4, Section 20, who does Fred call after arriving back at St. Angelicus following the day in court ? Why?
6. At the beginning of Part 4, Section 17, who is dwelling on the aspects of Fred's biking accident? Why? Who is fearful of this undue interest?
7. Where does Fred go after leaving the courtroom? Why?
8. How does Daisy respond to Kelly's remarks during her newspaper office visit?
9. At the beginning of Part 3, Section 14, Fred is still attempting to write a letter to Daisy. Why does he not want to throw away his previous attempts? How much contact has he actually had with Daisy at this point?
10. Fred asks Daisy why she lied in court about not knowing Kelly. What answer is Fred hoping to hear from Daisy? What answer does Daisy give?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fred attends the Disobliger's Society to speak in favor of the soul's existence. This motion, of course, is against his present unbelief. 1) What is Fred's childhood connection to religion? 2) Why would this connection make it easier for him to defend this motion? 3) What scientific reasons does Fred give for rebuking his childhood's beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Fred meets Daisy after a biking accident. 1) Describe the first meeting between Fred and Daisy. 2) What is a plausible explanation for Fred's love at first sight? 3) How does Daisy's inaccessibility fuel Fred's feelings?
Essay Topic 3
St. Angelicus has the dubious distinction of being founded by Pope Benedict, who was later dethroned. Discuss the unsettling history of the place that is now considered to be the home of "logic and reason."
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)