|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tom Kelly, who is he trying to protect from embarrassment?
2. What is Daisy's reaction to Fred's brawl with Kelly?
3. Who is Thomas Kelly?
4. Who is interviewing Daisy for a "vacancy" while riding in the country?
5. Who looks at a sink loaded with dishes from her husband's daily meals?
Short Essay Questions
1. While waiting in the courtroom, what does Fred notice about Daisy's appearance? When does her appearance become even more noticeable to Fred?
2. Who is cited concerning Fred's accident? What are the charges?
3. What door does Daisy reach that is standing open? What does she hear as she tries to walk away from the door? Who does she encounter as a result of a delay?
4. How does Daisy respond to Kelly's remarks during her newspaper office visit?
5. Who comes to visit Fred in Cambridge? What does Fred reveal to the visitors?
6. Who helps Fred after his brawl with Kelly? Where do they take Kelly?
7. At the beginning of Part 4, Section 17, who is dwelling on the aspects of Fred's biking accident? Why? Who is fearful of this undue interest?
8. In Part 3, Section 15, why does Mr. Wrayburn regret his having been hospitable to Fred and Daisy after their biking accident?
9. While taking a country walk, where do Fred and Daisy stop? What do they find inside on the floor? What comment does Fred make after their discovery?
10. In Part 4, Section 21, after his lecture, where does Fred go looking for "Nurse Saunders"? What does Fred discover about Daisy's new job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fred meets Daisy after a biking accident. 1) Describe the first meeting between Fred and Daisy. 2) What is a plausible explanation for Fred's love at first sight? 3) How does Daisy's inaccessibility fuel Fred's feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Daisy's early life is one of poverty and love. 1) Discuss Daisy's early lifestyle with her mother in London. 2) What values were instilled in Daisy by her mother's own work ethic? 3) How could the relationship between Daisy and her mother be described? Give details for support.
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss at least four instances in the book where the motif "seeing is believing" can be found. 2) Does the adage benefit or hinder the characters in each event?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)