|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who compares Daisy to the father in an opera?
2. What does the sacristan take from a cupboard inside the door of the pillars?
3. What is analogous to Dr. Matthews' ghost story?
4. Who visits Fred during the week of the Disobligers' Society debates?
5. At the beginning of Part 4, Section 22, who does Fred call upon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to visit Fred in Cambridge? What does Fred reveal to the visitors?
2. How does Daisy respond to Kelly's remarks during her newspaper office visit?
3. When Daisy returns to the hospital after visiting the newspaper, what does she discover about patient 23? Who is patient 23?
4. In Part 4, Section 22, Daisy is leaving Cambridge. What happens as she nears Guestingley Road? Who offers Daisy a ride? Why does Daisy not reach London?
5. In Part 3, Section 15, why does Mr. Wrayburn regret his having been hospitable to Fred and Daisy after their biking accident?
6. What door does Daisy reach that is standing open? What does she hear as she tries to walk away from the door? Who does she encounter as a result of a delay?
7. At the beginning of Part 4, Section 20, who does Fred call after arriving back at St. Angelicus following the day in court ? Why?
8. Where does Fred go after leaving the courtroom? Why?
9. At the beginning of Part 3, Section 16, Mr. Wrayburn is speaking to Daisy about her involvement with Fred. What does he want Daisy to do in regards to the relationship? Why?
10. While waiting in the courtroom, what does Fred notice about Daisy's appearance? When does her appearance become even more noticeable to Fred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Matthews is both a fan and critic of the Fellows . 1) Discuss these two sides of his relationship with the Fellows. 2) How do the Fellows view Dr. Matthews? Give details for support.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss at least four instances in the book where the motif "seeing is believing" can be found. 2) Does the adage benefit or hinder the characters in each event?
Essay Topic 3
The allowance left by Daisy's aunt stops after her mother's death. Daisy decides to apply for work at Blackfriars Hospital. 1) Describe Daisy's visit to the hospital's employment office. 2) What happens that might discourage another applicant from waiting on an interview with the matron? 3) In spite of the less than encouraging atmosphere during the hiring process, why is Daisy not deterred from her goal of working at the hospital?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)