|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Daisy reside when she reaches Cambridge?
2. What is Daisy's reaction to Fred's brawl with Kelly?
3. According to Fred, who is a writer of fiction, not to be trusted?
4. Where do Daisy and Fred go on their first "date"?
5. At the beginning of Part 4, Section 21, where does Fred go?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 4, Section 20, who does Fred call after arriving back at St. Angelicus following the day in court ? Why?
2. Why does Daisy lose her job at the hospital? Where does she intend to seek her next job?
3. Who comes to visit Fred in Cambridge? What does Fred reveal to the visitors?
4. Fred asks Daisy why she lied in court about not knowing Kelly. What answer is Fred hoping to hear from Daisy? What answer does Daisy give?
5. Who has written Fred another note about Daisy Saunders? What does the note say about Daisy?
6. At the beginning of Part 3, Section 14, Fred is still attempting to write a letter to Daisy. Why does he not want to throw away his previous attempts? How much contact has he actually had with Daisy at this point?
7. How does Daisy respond to Kelly's remarks during her newspaper office visit?
8. At the beginning of Part 3, Section 16, Mr. Wrayburn is speaking to Daisy about her involvement with Fred. What does he want Daisy to do in regards to the relationship? Why?
9. While waiting in the courtroom, what does Fred notice about Daisy's appearance? When does her appearance become even more noticeable to Fred?
10. While taking a country walk, where do Fred and Daisy stop? What do they find inside on the floor? What comment does Fred make after their discovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story opens with a stormy scene. The road to Cambridge has been strewn with willow branches. 1) Discuss an analogy that can be drawn between the strewn willow branches and Daisy's life. 2) How does the storm foreshadow a change in Fred's life?
Essay Topic 2
Early in the story, Fred appears to be a one-dimensional character. Discuss Fred's early persona. Identify qualities that emerge as Fred interacts with specific story characters.
Essay Topic 3
Daisy's mother dies a short time after their visit to Selfridge's opening. 1) How does the chaos during the store's opening foreshadow upheaval in Daisy's life? 2) What analogy can be drawn from the store's "opening" to Daisy's life?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)