|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is mistaken for Fred's wife?
2. Who comes to Fred and his friends' door at Bruckmann's Hotel?
3. Who asks Fred to join the evening's Disobligers' Society debate?
4. What is the meaning of "Estoy in mis trece?"
5. Who refruses to let the constable see James Elder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Mrs. Wrayburn's statement that she wouldn't have mistaken Daisy as being Fred's wife after the accident if she had known he was a Fellow at St. Angelicus.
2. Describe the artwork that is above the Great Gate.
3. During the debate, who enters the room to speak to Fred? What does he tell Fred?
4. In Part 1, Section 4, Dr. Matthews is introduced. Describe Dr. Matthews, the Provost of James's.
5. What happens during Daisy's childhood that changes the plight of her and her mother?
6. Describe the inconveniences experienced by students due to the size of St. Angelicus.
7. During the debate, who asks that the motion concerning the soul be repeated? What statement does this person make about the debate's topic?
8. According to Skippey, why is Fred's opponent's performance at the debate not very noteworthy?
9. What happens to Daisy's mother after visiting the opening of Selfridge Department Store? How is Daisy affected by this mentally? What changes occur in Daisy's lifestyle after the event?
10. In Part 2, Section 11, who tries to commit suicide by jumping into the Thames? What is the outcome of the attempt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fred seems to be very much in awe of the work of a particular scientist named Rutherford. Taking all of Fred's comments and actions into account, is his reverence for Rutherford genuine or a contrived? Give several details for support.
Essay Topic 2
In making plans to tell his father about his unbelief, Fred overlooks the father's "human" role in a son's life. 1) Compare/contrast the two roles (minister/father) that Mr. Fairly plays in Fred's life. 2) If a parishoner approached Mr. Fairly with the same unbelief, would his reaction be different? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The logical side of St. Angelicus is made apparent by its professors and Fellows. 1) Discuss the aesthetic qualities that are part of the college. 2) Explore a specific character's role/contribution for each venue.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)