|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After less than a year at her first job, where does Daisy take employment?
2. Who does Fred's friend hope to train with in Manchester?
3. At the beginning of Part 1, Section 7, how many weeks have passed since Fred's bicycle accident?
4. What is the cause of Fred's bicycle accident?
5. Who has offered Fred a post at Cambridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Daisy seek references from? Who declines to give her a reference?
2. In Part 1, Section 4, how does Fred feel towards the Master of the college? Give details for support.
3. Does Fred agree with Flowerdew's non-belief in God? Give details for support?
4. What information does Dr. Matthews share with the Master about the gate on the college's south-west wall?
5. What is Skippey asking Fred to debate on at the next Disobligers' Society's meeting? Why does he ask Fred to take this side at the debate? What are the religious beliefs of Fred's debate opponent?
6. Who does Fred Fairly meet on his way to his room? What is their conversation about?
7. What are Professor Flowerdew's religious beliefs?
8. According to Fred In Part 1, Section 7, why is he writing Daisy? Why is the letter out of line with Fred's usual reasoning?
9. In Part 1, Section 4, Dr. Matthews is introduced. Describe Dr. Matthews, the Provost of James's.
10. Describe the artwork that is above the Great Gate.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In making plans to tell his father about his unbelief, Fred overlooks the father's "human" role in a son's life. 1) Compare/contrast the two roles (minister/father) that Mr. Fairly plays in Fred's life. 2) If a parishoner approached Mr. Fairly with the same unbelief, would his reaction be different? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Fred visits his father because he wants to share that he is now an unbeliever. He corrects his title to a "conditional unbeliever." 1) According to Fred, what is the difference between an "unbeliever" and a "conditional unbeliever"? 2) Which title is more appropriate for Fred? Why? Give at least three examples of Fred's reactions to story events that support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
St. Angelicus has the dubious distinction of being founded by Pope Benedict, who was later dethroned. Discuss the unsettling history of the place that is now considered to be the home of "logic and reason."
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)