|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fails to kill Pope Benedict by poisoning him?
2. Why does Professor Flowerdew need an assistant?
3. How many applicants are accepted at Blackfriars Hospital every year?
4. In Part 1, Section 1, which city is home to "logic and reason?"
5. AT the beginning of Part 2, Section 11, what does James Elder do on January 16th, 1912?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the debate, who asks that the motion concerning the soul be repeated? What statement does this person make about the debate's topic?
2. What happens to Daisy's mother after visiting the opening of Selfridge Department Store? How is Daisy affected by this mentally? What changes occur in Daisy's lifestyle after the event?
3. What are Professor Flowerdew's religious beliefs?
4. What incident does Fred recall concerning Daisy and a recent biking trip? Give details about the incident.
5. Explain how accepting Christianity on faith is contrary to Fred's education.
6. Does Fred agree with Flowerdew's non-belief in God? Give details for support?
7. In Part 2, Section 11, who tries to commit suicide by jumping into the Thames? What is the outcome of the attempt?
8. How many notes are waiting for Fred when he returns to his room at the beginning of the book? Who are the notes from?
9. At the beginning of Part 1, Section 1, what is happening on the way into Cambridge?
10. In Part 2, Section 9, where does Daisy seek employment? Describe the job applicants' waiting room.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Daisy's early life is one of poverty and love. 1) Discuss Daisy's early lifestyle with her mother in London. 2) What values were instilled in Daisy by her mother's own work ethic? 3) How could the relationship between Daisy and her mother be described? Give details for support.
Essay Topic 2
Kelly is deceptive on several occasions in the story. Choose two such occasions and elaborate on what occurred.
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss at least four instances in the book where the motif "seeing is believing" can be found. 2) Does the adage benefit or hinder the characters in each event?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)