|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to King James I of England, where should one sleep at Cambridge?
(a) At Trinity.
(b) At the Rectory.
(c) At Jesus.
(d) At Angels.
2. From what century are the instruments that Fred tries to tune?
(a) The ninth.
(b) The sixteenth.
(c) The fifteenth.
(d) The thirteenth.
3. By the constable's experience, what helps patients such as James Elder recover?
(a) Condy's Fluid.
(b) Brandy and herbs.
(c) Quiet and beef-tea.
(d) Black Draught.
4. At the beginning of Part 1, Section 7, how many weeks have passed since Fred's bicycle accident?
(a) One week.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Nine weeks.
5. Who is blind, but not hearing impaired?
(a) Dr. Matthews.
(b) The Chaplain.
(c) The Master.
(d) The Provost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the inscription on Fred's letterhead?
2. What kind of family does Fred come from?
3. At the end of Part 1, Section 6, what does Fred do with his unfinished letter?
4. Where did Fred and two of his friends go for a walking holiday?
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Section 8, where does Daisy work?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Section 11, who tries to commit suicide by jumping into the Thames? What is the outcome of the attempt?
2. Why is the use of the word "fortunate" in reference to Flowerdew's appointment a shock to Fred?
3. What information does Dr. Matthews share with the Master about the gate on the college's south-west wall?
4. At the beginning of Part 1, Section 1, what is happening on the way into Cambridge?
5. What mistake does Daisy make concerning Dr. Sage?
6. According to Fred In Part 1, Section 7, why is he writing Daisy? Why is the letter out of line with Fred's usual reasoning?
7. How does the beginning scene contrast to the actual city of Cambridge?
8. Explain how accepting Christianity on faith is contrary to Fred's education.
9. According to Dr. Matthews, how is science affecting the Fellows?
10. Does Fred agree with Flowerdew's non-belief in God? Give details for support?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)