|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do none of the university societies meet in St. Angelicus?
(a) It is too draughty.
(b) It is forbidden by the college.
(c) It is in disrepair.
(d) It is too small.
2. According to Dr. Matthews, who would have been considered heretics in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.
(a) Geologists and paleontologists.
(b) Writers and artists.
(c) Mathematicians and scientists.
(d) Philosophers and historians.
3. How old did Pope Benedict live to be?
(a) Over 100 years old.
(b) Over 90 years old.
(c) Over 75 years old.
(d) Over 80 years old.
4. At the end of Part 1, Section 1, to whom is Fred penning a note?
(a) Miss Saunders.
(b) Mrs. Wrayburn.
(d) Professor Horne.
5. Who has offered Fred a post at Cambridge?
(a) The President of Cambridge.
(b) Professor Wilson.
(c) Professor Rutherford.
(d) Professor Flowerdew.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who looks after Fred while he is in recovery?
2. How many urgent messages await Fred when he returns after bicycling?
3. Why is Dr. Matthews attending the debate?
4. According to the matron, how much of a woman's life is spent in pain?
5. What is the name of Fred's college?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the beginning scene contrast to the actual city of Cambridge?
2. According to Fred In Part 1, Section 7, why is he writing Daisy? Why is the letter out of line with Fred's usual reasoning?
3. According to the beginning of Part 2, Section 8, where does Daisy live? Give at least three details describing the city.
4. What information does Dr. Matthews share with the Master about the gate on the college's south-west wall?
5. In Part 2, Section 9, where does Daisy seek employment? Describe the job applicants' waiting room.
6. What is Daisy's new position at Blackfriars Hospital? Describe one of the routines that Daisy performs everyday.
7. How does Fred's father react to Fred's news that he is now a non-believer? What does the father ask of Fred?
8. Recalling Daisy's childhood described in this section, where do Daisy and her mother shop? How does her mother earn a living? How does Daisy contribute to their support?
9. According to Dr. Matthews, how is science affecting the Fellows?
10. At the beginning of Part 1, Section 1, what is happening on the way into Cambridge?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)