|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon his religious conversion, what changes about Kenton's character?
2. Why is Simon Kenton imprisoned in Chapter 12?
3. How does Simon Kenton's wife, Martha, die?
4. When is Kentucky given statehood?
5. How many Indians does Tecumseh want to raise against the Whites?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is literacy and education becoming important in Chapter 8?
2. Why is St. Claire forced to resign?
3. What happens to Simon Kenton's family in Chapter 10?
4. Why do the Indians hate Greathouse?
5. In what way does Tecumseh's brother almost fumble Tecumseh's best-laid plans?
6. What impact do the deaths of Simon Kenton's family have on his character?
7. How does Simon take to protecting his fellow colonists in Chapter 7?
8. In Chapter 8, why do the French colonists arrive in Ohio?
9. What does Kenton witness, that causes him to urge for increased military action against Tecumseh?
10. What is the significance of the death of Johnny Logan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Contrast and compare the two lead Native American characters; Tecumseh and Blue Jacket. Who is the most loyal? What are their different strengths and weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the actions and the eventual fate of the Greathouse party/expedition. Do you think they deserved their fate? Why do you think they did what they did?
Essay Topic 3
What are ‘tomahawk improvements’? What happens to many of the claims made in this manner?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)