|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which family is Kenton staying with in Chapter 5?
2. Who is the protagonist of the novel?
3. What happens to Daniel Boone's expedition?
4. What sort of friction is there between Colonel Lewis and General Dunmore?
5. Who is Ellen Cummings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Yaeger and George Strader at the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. What happens to the Moravian Indians in Chapter 6?
3. How do the hostilities with the Indians start in Chapter 2?
4. What is 'the gauntlet', and why does Simon have to run it?
5. What was Simon Kenton known for as a youth and why?
6. How is Simon rescued?
7. Why does Bill Grills quit the Frontier?
8. What is the Shawnee Nation divided over in Chapter 5?
9. Why has Simon got so much land in Chapter 6?
10. What town is Simon Kenton hiding in at the beginning of Chaper 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the Federal Scout, and why is Simon Kenton not allowed to become one? Consider the duties and the time that the federal scout was employed.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Simon's first encounters with Bill Grills. How does he learn from these events? What does he think of the other men of Grills's party?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the actions of the character Simon Girty in the book. Why does he appear to help two sides of the war at the same time? What quotes point towards his real motivations and inner character?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)