|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who winters with Kenton in Chapter 5, proving to have become a drunk?
2. Where is Simon trying to get to in Chapter 1?
3. What does Simon immediately notice about Western Kentucky?
4. Which family is Kenton staying with in Chapter 5?
5. What state was Simon born in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the impressive action Kenton takes that awards him the job with Bill Grills?
2. What is 'the gauntlet', and why does Simon have to run it?
3. What happens to Chief Cornstalk when he goes to Fort Randolph?
4. Where and when was Simon Kenton born?
5. How does Simon Girty try to stop the retaliation in Chapter 6?
6. How is Simon rescued?
7. Where is Simon Kenton attempting to travel to in Chapter 1?
8. What town is Simon Kenton hiding in at the beginning of Chaper 5?
9. How do the hostilities with the Indians start in Chapter 2?
10. What happens to Yaeger and George Strader at the beginning of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Simon Kenton's wilful stubbornness as a character. At first it appears to be a flaw in childhood, only to be a virtue in his later career as a frontiersman. How would you agree or disagree with this?
Essay Topic 2
In your own words, would you suggest that The Frontiersman presents an accurate picture of American history? How could you agree or disagree?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Simon's first encounters with Bill Grills. How does he learn from these events? What does he think of the other men of Grills's party?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)