|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the adopted Blue Jacket want to see happen?
2. What Native American chief goes to Fort Randolph to talk to the Whites?
3. How many Shawnee join Byrd's forces to destroy the Colonists?
4. What particular creature does Simon manage to hunt in Chapter 3?
5. Why is Simon adopted into the Shawnee Tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Simon Kenton attempting to travel to in Chapter 1?
2. Who is Ruth?
3. Who surveys the site for the first city in Kentucky?
4. How is Boone captured, and what happens to him thereafter?
5. How do the hostilities with the Indians start in Chapter 2?
6. What is the impressive action Kenton takes that awards him the job with Bill Grills?
7. What is 'the gauntlet', and why does Simon have to run it?
8. What role does Simon Kenton play in the battles with the Indians in Chapter 2?
9. Why does Simon Kenton start stealing horses?
10. What does Simon Kenton become famous for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Contrast and compare the two lead Native American characters; Tecumseh and Blue Jacket. Who is the most loyal? What are their different strengths and weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the actions and the eventual fate of the Greathouse party/expedition. Do you think they deserved their fate? Why do you think they did what they did?
Essay Topic 3
What prompts Simon to leave his family's Virginia farm? Discuss the event and its ramifications on his later life.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)