|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Simon hide up a tree?
2. What job does Simon get after saving Strader?
3. Whom does Simon first meet on the road after running away?
4. Who is Ellen Cummings?
5. How do the Indian hostilities start in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who surveys the site for the first city in Kentucky?
2. What role does Simon Kenton play in the battles with the Indians in Chapter 2?
3. What happens to Yaeger and George Strader at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. What happens to the Moravian Indians in Chapter 6?
5. What crime does Simon Kenton think that he has committed in Chapter 1?
6. Where and when was Simon Kenton born?
7. Who is Ruth?
8. What is 'the gauntlet', and why does Simon have to run it?
9. What family is hiding Kenton in Chapter 5?
10. How does Simon Kenton save Daniel's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Simon Kenton's wilful stubbornness as a character. At first it appears to be a flaw in childhood, only to be a virtue in his later career as a frontiersman. How would you agree or disagree with this?
Essay Topic 2
Studying the use of foreshadowing, dramatic tension and resolution, discuss whether the ending of the story is a fitting resolution to the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the notion of historical veracity in fiction. How can it be said that Eckert's book is biased? Is it historically accurate?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)