|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Simon hide up a tree?
2. What does Simon Kenton decide to do in Chapter 5 to even the odds between British and Colonist?
3. Who becomes the new governor of Kentucky?
4. How long was Boone's fort under siege and yet didn't fall?
5. Who is the protagonist of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Simon got so much land in Chapter 6?
2. What happens to Chief Cornstalk when he goes to Fort Randolph?
3. How is Boone captured, and what happens to him thereafter?
4. What town is Simon Kenton hiding in at the beginning of Chaper 5?
5. What is so devastating about the British military force?
6. How is Simon rescued?
7. What does Simon Kenton become famous for?
8. What role does Simon Kenton play in the battles with the Indians in Chapter 2?
9. What happens to Yaeger and George Strader at the beginning of Chapter 2?
10. What is 'the gauntlet', and why does Simon have to run it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Simon Kenton become known as Simon Butler? When does he change his name back?
Essay Topic 2
Contrast and compare the two lead Native American characters; Tecumseh and Blue Jacket. Who is the most loyal? What are their different strengths and weaknesses?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the actions and the eventual fate of the Greathouse party/expedition. Do you think they deserved their fate? Why do you think they did what they did?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)