|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What date does Cornstalk attack Colonel Lewis's force?
2. In Chapter 4, who is Girty about to work for?
3. What town do the Kentucky Colonists retreat to in Chapter 5?
4. What job does Simon get after saving Strader?
5. What happens to the Native American delegation in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who surveys the site for the first city in Kentucky?
2. How does Simon find out in Chapter 5 that he can use his real name once again?
3. What is so devastating about the British military force?
4. Why has Simon got so much land in Chapter 6?
5. What is the impressive action Kenton takes that awards him the job with Bill Grills?
6. What does Simon Kenton become famous for?
7. How does Simon Girty try to stop the retaliation in Chapter 6?
8. How do the hostilities with the Indians start in Chapter 2?
9. What is 'the gauntlet', and why does Simon have to run it?
10. In what ways do chiefs Cornstalk and Logan both change their minds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of 'Coming of Age' in The Frontiersman. To whom does this theme apply? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Studying the use of foreshadowing, dramatic tension and resolution, discuss whether the ending of the story is a fitting resolution to the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of foreshadowing in the book. How can we detect the spiralling violence, the escalation of threat in the players’ lives? Cite examples from the text.
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)