|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon do the British use, which the Colonists have no hope of using?
2. What does Simon Girty tell the Whites in Chapter 6?
3. Why is Edgar's wife so loathe to see Kenton go?
4. What State does Chapter 6 begin in?
5. Who does John Yaeger say that he lived with for many years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is 'the gauntlet', and why does Simon have to run it?
2. In what ways do chiefs Cornstalk and Logan both change their minds?
3. Who is Ruth?
4. How is Simon adopted into the Shawnee tribe?
5. What happens to Chief Cornstalk when he goes to Fort Randolph?
6. What does Simon Kenton become famous for?
7. What is the impressive action Kenton takes that awards him the job with Bill Grills?
8. In Chapter 3, who are the colonists at war with?
9. How does Simon's father die?
10. What role does Simon Kenton play in the battles with the Indians in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think about Blue Jacket's conversion to the Shawnee tribe? Does Blue Jacket lose some of his own heritage in doing so? Assess Blue Jacket's character in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Studying the use of foreshadowing, dramatic tension and resolution, discuss whether the ending of the story is a fitting resolution to the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the differences between the living conditions of the early settlers and the life of someone such as yourself today.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)