|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose life does Simon save by carrying him to a fort, under Indian attack?
2. What is the name of the woman that Simon has feelings for in Chapter 4?
3. Why does the Shawnee tribe split?
4. Why does Bill Grills leave the frontier?
5. Whom does Simon fight before running away?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Simon's father die?
2. What family is hiding Kenton in Chapter 5?
3. What is the Shawnee Nation divided over in Chapter 5?
4. How does Simon Girty try to stop the retaliation in Chapter 6?
5. What town is Simon Kenton hiding in at the beginning of Chaper 5?
6. How do the hostilities with the Indians start in Chapter 2?
7. Why does Bill Grills quit the Frontier?
8. Why has Simon got so much land in Chapter 6?
9. Who surveys the site for the first city in Kentucky?
10. In what ways do chiefs Cornstalk and Logan both change their minds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Simon's first encounters with Bill Grills. How does he learn from these events? What does he think of the other men of Grills's party?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the differences between the living conditions of the early settlers and the life of someone such as yourself today.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Simon Kenton's wilful stubbornness as a character. At first it appears to be a flaw in childhood, only to be a virtue in his later career as a frontiersman. How would you agree or disagree with this?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)