|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Shawnee tribe split?
2. What year does Chapter 6 begin with?
3. Whom does Simon fight before running away?
4. Who of Boone's family dies in an ambush?
5. In Chapter 4, who is Girty about to work for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Simon find out in Chapter 5 that he can use his real name once again?
2. Why has Simon got so much land in Chapter 6?
3. How is Simon rescued?
4. What is 'the gauntlet', and why does Simon have to run it?
5. Why does Simon Kenton start stealing horses?
6. Where is Simon Kenton attempting to travel to in Chapter 1?
7. What happens to Yaeger and George Strader at the beginning of Chapter 2?
8. Who is Ruth?
9. How does Simon's father die?
10. What crime does Simon Kenton think that he has committed in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Contrast and compare the two lead Native American characters; Tecumseh and Blue Jacket. Who is the most loyal? What are their different strengths and weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the actions and the eventual fate of the Greathouse party/expedition. Do you think they deserved their fate? Why do you think they did what they did?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of 'Coming of Age' in The Frontiersman. To whom does this theme apply? Cite examples from the text.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)