|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mixture was put on a broken arm?
2. What farm animal is rumored to eat snakes?
3. Those who believe in the signs in part base their belief on what?
4. How long should the carcass of a possum be soaked before cooking to eat?
5. What do you cut out of the hog's head before making souse and is one of the only things on the hog's head not used in souse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how cracklin's are made.
2. In the beginning of the chapter 'Hunting Tales' what do the beginning chapters explain?
3. What does Harley Carpenter say about faith healing?
4. Explain the reasons that hogs were the mountain people's main meat.
5. Describe the story that Bill Lamb tells about why they remove the eyes from the hog's head before cooking it.
6. Explain the reasons that mountain men hunted.
7. Describe what kind of interviews that were done for the section on 'Planting by the Signs.'
8. How do you prepare frog?
9. Describe the way the recipes in 'Mountain Recipes' are told.
10. Describe the story of 'The Buzzard and the Dog.'
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Law enforcement and revenuers are looked at.
Part 1) Is it likely that the law enforcement and those making moonshine were truly as friendly as the story suggests?
Part 2) Does this explanation of the relationship between local law enforcement and the moonshiners contradict or reinforce preconceived notions as to the interaction between these two groups? Explain your answer.
Part 3) What does this information reveal about the moonshiners and the law enforcement?
Essay Topic 2
Family is often talked about in the story.
Part 1) What role does family seem to play for the majority of the people in the Foxfire Book that were interviewed? Explain.
Part 2) Is this view still widely held by people today? Explain why or why not.
Part 3) Are there any of the people in the book that didn't seem to feel the same way about family? Explain who, if any, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Daniel Manous, Aunt Arie, and Hillard Green are the only people in the book to have an article named after them.
Part 1) Compare these people together. What do they have in common that makes them people of interest?
Part 2) Which of these people stands out the most and why.
Part 3) Rename these three articles. Explain why you chose the new titles that you decided on.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)