|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the October Beans used as a substitute for?
2. What is it that whited the apples in the bleaching process?
3. Those who believe in the signs in part base their belief on what?
4. What is it said that a joint snake can do?
5. The number of days old the moon is at the first snow tells what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain where the expression "That must'a had a dead hog in it" comes from.
2. How does Taylor Crockett say that bear meat was divided up?
3. Explain the reasons that hogs were the mountain people's main meat.
4. What does Mrs. Andy Webb explain about her gift.
5. Explain how cracklin's are made.
6. Describe the joint snake.
7. Describe the way the recipes in 'Mountain Recipes' are told.
8. Describe the hoop snake.
9. Describe what kind of interviews that were done for the section on 'Planting by the Signs.'
10. What is Daniel's story about that he tells the students?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Which of the articles seemed to be the most helpful as a 'how to' guide? Explain.
Part 2) Which of the articles seemed to be the least helpful as a 'how to' guide? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Daniel Manous, Aunt Arie, and Hillard Green are the only people in the book to have an article named after them.
Part 1) Compare these people together. What do they have in common that makes them people of interest?
Part 2) Which of these people stands out the most and why.
Part 3) Rename these three articles. Explain why you chose the new titles that you decided on.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Discuss religion and the role that it played for the majority of the people interviewed.
Part 2) Why does it seem that religion was so strong a theme in each person's life?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)