|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Andy Webb's turkey call made out of?
2. Which of the following was said to cure asthma?
3. What do you do with the meat after it is off the bone?
4. What is at the beginning of the chapter titled 'Planting by the Signs?'
5. What is the bag of fertilizer described as smelling like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story of 'The Buzzard and the Dog.'
2. Explain basically how moonshining began.
3. Describe the directions given for skinning a raccoon.
4. What does Harley Carpenter say about faith healing?
5. Describe what kind of interviews that were done for the section on 'Planting by the Signs.'
6. Describe the basics for weather signs and the different ways they are obtained.
7. How does Taylor Crockett say that bear meat was divided up?
8. Describe the joint snake.
9. Describe the hoop snake.
10. In the beginning of the chapter 'Hunting Tales' what do the beginning chapters explain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"White Oak Splits," "Making a Hamper out of White Oak Splits" and "Making a Basket out of White Oak Splits" were all separate articles that could have been easily grouped together.
Part 1) What were the reasons that these three articles were not put together?
Part 2) What other articles in the book could have been easily grouped together? Explain why these articles fit together.
Part 3) Would it have made the articles more or less understandable to have grouped them together? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Pick one to write about.
Part 1) How would the story have been different if the articles had been "How To" only without the human stories and personal touches included? Explain your answer.
Part 2) Could any of the stories given been made into short stories or books on their own? Explain why or why not.
Part 3) Is the Foxfire Book a realistic help to a person that intended to live off the land? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Which of the people interviewed seemed to be the most important or to have the biggest impact on the story? Explain why you chose this person.
Part 2) Which character stood out the most in the story? Why do you think this was?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)