|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of reading material does Daniel have with him?
2. When was hog killing generally done?
3. What is Andy Webb's turkey call made out of?
4. Which of these childhood illnesses was looked at in terms of faith healing?
5. How do you cure cramps in your feet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harley Carpenter say about faith healing?
2. In the beginning of the chapter 'Hunting Tales' what do the beginning chapters explain?
3. Describe the story of 'The Buzzard and the Dog.'
4. What is the difference between the direction given by Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Philips' method for churning butter and that of Mrs. Norton's?
5. What different processes are looked at in Preserving Vegetables?
6. How do you prepare frog?
7. Explain the reasons that hogs were the mountain people's main meat.
8. What is explained about the remedies looked at in 'Home Remedies' before the remedies are given?
9. Describe the directions given for skinning a raccoon.
10. Explain how cracklin's are made.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different homes that are described in the book.
Part 1) Which home seems the most unique to you? Explain why this home stuck out for you.
Part 2) What is significant about knowing that Daniel Manous lived in a bread truck?
Part 3) Does knowing where these people live affect the reader's thoughts about the person? Explain why or why not and how.
Essay Topic 2
"White Oak Splits," "Making a Hamper out of White Oak Splits" and "Making a Basket out of White Oak Splits" were all separate articles that could have been easily grouped together.
Part 1) What were the reasons that these three articles were not put together?
Part 2) What other articles in the book could have been easily grouped together? Explain why these articles fit together.
Part 3) Would it have made the articles more or less understandable to have grouped them together? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of people that talk about their lives and how proud they are of their family or other pieces of this life.
Part 1) Discuss pride and the general role that it played in the book.
Part 2) Pick three characters from the book that seemed like people that had sincere pride in their lives. Explain why you chose these three.
Part 3) Do these people seem to be boastful in their pride? Explain why or why not?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)