|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should you remove when making Tomato Catsup?
2. What do the hogs eat that generally produce the sweetest meat?
3. What does the soaking do to the meat?
4. When was hog killing generally done?
5. What is the liquid left in the churn after the butter has been made called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harley Carpenter say about faith healing?
2. How does Taylor Crockett say that bear meat was divided up?
3. Explain basically how moonshining began.
4. Explain the reasons that mountain men hunted.
5. Describe the joint snake.
6. Describe the story that Bill Lamb tells about why they remove the eyes from the hog's head before cooking it.
7. What does Andy Webb say is the difference between when he was younger and when he is an old man in terms of the wildlife hunted?
8. Describe Daniel's home and how Daniel is described.
9. What does Mrs. Andy Webb explain about her gift.
10. Describe the basics for weather signs and the different ways they are obtained.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Law enforcement and revenuers are looked at.
Part 1) Is it likely that the law enforcement and those making moonshine were truly as friendly as the story suggests?
Part 2) Does this explanation of the relationship between local law enforcement and the moonshiners contradict or reinforce preconceived notions as to the interaction between these two groups? Explain your answer.
Part 3) What does this information reveal about the moonshiners and the law enforcement?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Pick on person that was interviewed for the Foxfire Book to do another interview with. Which person did you pick and why?
Part 2) What subject would you be interested in finding out about that could easily fit into the Foxfire Book themes? Why did you pick that subject and how does it fit?
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of solitude talked about in the story.
Part 1) What does it indicate that so many of the people in the story talked about their solitude or the fact that they were cut off from the world?
Part 2) What seems to be the main reason for the solitude that people endured?
Part 3) What does it appear that the solitude gave the people?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)