|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can you do with deer meat?
2. What is the process of laying fruit out on trays in front of the fire called?
3. Where is the art of moonshining said to have begun?
4. Which of the following was said to cure asthma?
5. Which of these is NOT a way to keep your still hidden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the reasons that mountain men hunted.
2. Describe Daniel's home and how Daniel is described.
3. What is Daniel's story about that he tells the students?
4. Describe what kind of interviews that were done for the section on 'Planting by the Signs.'
5. Describe the basics for weather signs and the different ways they are obtained.
6. What does Mrs. Andy Webb explain about her gift.
7. Describe the joint snake.
8. In the beginning of the chapter 'Hunting Tales' what do the beginning chapters explain?
9. Describe the way the recipes in 'Mountain Recipes' are told.
10. Explain the basic differences between curing and smoking.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"White Oak Splits," "Making a Hamper out of White Oak Splits" and "Making a Basket out of White Oak Splits" were all separate articles that could have been easily grouped together.
Part 1) What were the reasons that these three articles were not put together?
Part 2) What other articles in the book could have been easily grouped together? Explain why these articles fit together.
Part 3) Would it have made the articles more or less understandable to have grouped them together? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the people in the book are described as self-sufficient.
Part 1) Describe what it means to be self-sufficient.
Part 2) How is being self-sufficient today different from that of Aunt Arie or Hillard Green? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Describe Hillard Green's character.
Part 2) Pick one word, or short phrase, to describe Hillard Green. Explain why you have chosen that word or phrase.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)