|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it typically unnecessary for farmers to hunt for food in the forest?
2. What does Scrapple taste like according to Mrs. Mann Norton?
3. What is often mixed with hog brains when being cooked?
4. What can you do with deer meat?
5. What type of milk should be used when churning butter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the process of drying and why it was done.
2. How does Taylor Crockett say that bear meat was divided up?
3. Explain basically how moonshining began.
4. What is explained about the remedies looked at in 'Home Remedies' before the remedies are given?
5. Describe the directions given for skinning a raccoon.
6. Explain the basic differences between curing and smoking.
7. Describe the hoop snake.
8. Explain the reasons that mountain men hunted.
9. In the beginning of the chapter 'Hunting Tales' what do the beginning chapters explain?
10. How do you prepare frog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one to write about.
Part 1) How would the story have been different if the articles had been "How To" only without the human stories and personal touches included? Explain your answer.
Part 2) Could any of the stories given been made into short stories or books on their own? Explain why or why not.
Part 3) Is the Foxfire Book a realistic help to a person that intended to live off the land? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Law enforcement and revenuers are looked at.
Part 1) Is it likely that the law enforcement and those making moonshine were truly as friendly as the story suggests?
Part 2) Does this explanation of the relationship between local law enforcement and the moonshiners contradict or reinforce preconceived notions as to the interaction between these two groups? Explain your answer.
Part 3) What does this information reveal about the moonshiners and the law enforcement?
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of solitude talked about in the story.
Part 1) What does it indicate that so many of the people in the story talked about their solitude or the fact that they were cut off from the world?
Part 2) What seems to be the main reason for the solitude that people endured?
Part 3) What does it appear that the solitude gave the people?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)