|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are many of the mountain men descended from?
2. What does the soaking do to the meat?
3. What do the squirrels do if it is going to be a bad winter?
4. Which of following is NOT a remedy for arthritis.
5. What sometimes falls into the mash and drowns?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the basic differences between curing and smoking.
2. Describe the hoop snake.
3. Describe the joint snake.
4. Explain the process of drying and why it was done.
5. Describe the story of 'The Buzzard and the Dog.'
6. What is Daniel's story about that he tells the students?
7. What is the difference between the direction given by Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Philips' method for churning butter and that of Mrs. Norton's?
8. Explain how cracklin's are made.
9. Describe what kind of interviews that were done for the section on 'Planting by the Signs.'
10. In the beginning of the chapter 'Hunting Tales' what do the beginning chapters explain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family is often talked about in the story.
Part 1) What role does family seem to play for the majority of the people in the Foxfire Book that were interviewed? Explain.
Part 2) Is this view still widely held by people today? Explain why or why not.
Part 3) Are there any of the people in the book that didn't seem to feel the same way about family? Explain who, if any, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Discuss religion and the role that it played for the majority of the people interviewed.
Part 2) Why does it seem that religion was so strong a theme in each person's life?
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of solitude talked about in the story.
Part 1) What does it indicate that so many of the people in the story talked about their solitude or the fact that they were cut off from the world?
Part 2) What seems to be the main reason for the solitude that people endured?
Part 3) What does it appear that the solitude gave the people?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)