|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the price of the pelt if you make a bad ear hole on a raccoon?
2. What does Minyard Conner say the bear died of in her story?
3. What do the students say that stories about hunting inevitably turn to?
4. What term do the mountain people use to describe houses, meadows or caves that they will refuse to enter?
5. What is often mixed with hog brains when being cooked?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of the chapter 'Hunting Tales' what do the beginning chapters explain?
2. Describe the story that Bill Lamb tells about why they remove the eyes from the hog's head before cooking it.
3. Describe the joint snake.
4. Explain basically how moonshining began.
5. Describe what kind of interviews that were done for the section on 'Planting by the Signs.'
6. What different processes are looked at in Preserving Vegetables?
7. Explain the reasons that mountain men hunted.
8. How does Taylor Crockett say that bear meat was divided up?
9. What does Mrs. Andy Webb explain about her gift.
10. Describe the story of 'The Buzzard and the Dog.'
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Discuss religion and the role that it played for the majority of the people interviewed.
Part 2) Why does it seem that religion was so strong a theme in each person's life?
Essay Topic 2
Daniel Manous, Aunt Arie, and Hillard Green are the only people in the book to have an article named after them.
Part 1) Compare these people together. What do they have in common that makes them people of interest?
Part 2) Which of these people stands out the most and why.
Part 3) Rename these three articles. Explain why you chose the new titles that you decided on.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Which of the people interviewed seemed to be the most important or to have the biggest impact on the story? Explain why you chose this person.
Part 2) Which character stood out the most in the story? Why do you think this was?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)