|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the students promise not to print in their interview?
2. Which of these childhood illnesses was looked at in terms of faith healing?
3. Which of these wolly worm actions does NOT does not imply there is going to be a bad winter?
4. What does Daniel live in?
5. What were the October Beans used as a substitute for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andy Webb say is the difference between when he was younger and when he is an old man in terms of the wildlife hunted?
2. Explain basically how moonshining began.
3. What does Harley Carpenter say about faith healing?
4. How does Taylor Crockett say that bear meat was divided up?
5. How do you prepare frog?
6. Describe the way the recipes in 'Mountain Recipes' are told.
7. Explain the process of drying and why it was done.
8. Explain how cracklin's are made.
9. Explain the reasons that mountain men hunted.
10. Explain the basic differences between curing and smoking.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) What is the author's purpose in the Foxfire Book?
Part 2) Is that purpose accomplished? Explain why or why not.
Part 3) Could this book easily be made into a continuation in current day times? Would it be popular as it was when it was originally published? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Should all of this book be considered non-fiction even though there is no proof that many of the things in the book are fact? Explain.
Part 2) What role does folklore and legends have in the book?
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of people that talk about their lives and how proud they are of their family or other pieces of this life.
Part 1) Discuss pride and the general role that it played in the book.
Part 2) Pick three characters from the book that seemed like people that had sincere pride in their lives. Explain why you chose these three.
Part 3) Do these people seem to be boastful in their pride? Explain why or why not?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)