|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the students promise not to print in their interview?
2. Who tells the story of 'The Buzzard and the Dog?'
3. A person that can heal a burn is said to do what?
4. What does the soaking do to the meat?
5. What do the hogs eat that generally produce the sweetest meat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andy Webb say is the difference between when he was younger and when he is an old man in terms of the wildlife hunted?
2. What is explained about the remedies looked at in 'Home Remedies' before the remedies are given?
3. Describe what kind of interviews that were done for the section on 'Planting by the Signs.'
4. Describe the way the recipes in 'Mountain Recipes' are told.
5. What different processes are looked at in Preserving Vegetables?
6. Describe the story that Bill Lamb tells about why they remove the eyes from the hog's head before cooking it.
7. Explain the reasons that hogs were the mountain people's main meat.
8. Describe the joint snake.
9. Explain basically how moonshining began.
10. Describe the story of 'The Buzzard and the Dog.'
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Describe Hillard Green's character.
Part 2) Pick one word, or short phrase, to describe Hillard Green. Explain why you have chosen that word or phrase.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Should all of this book be considered non-fiction even though there is no proof that many of the things in the book are fact? Explain.
Part 2) What role does folklore and legends have in the book?
Essay Topic 3
"White Oak Splits," "Making a Hamper out of White Oak Splits" and "Making a Basket out of White Oak Splits" were all separate articles that could have been easily grouped together.
Part 1) What were the reasons that these three articles were not put together?
Part 2) What other articles in the book could have been easily grouped together? Explain why these articles fit together.
Part 3) Would it have made the articles more or less understandable to have grouped them together? Explain.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)