|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the price of the pelt if you make a bad ear hole on a raccoon?
2. What do the squirrels do if it is going to be a bad winter?
3. Which of these wolly worm actions does NOT does not imply there is going to be a bad winter?
4. How long should the carcass of a possum be soaked before cooking to eat?
5. What do you do with the meat after it is off the bone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What different processes are looked at in Preserving Vegetables?
2. Describe the basics for weather signs and the different ways they are obtained.
3. Describe the story that Bill Lamb tells about why they remove the eyes from the hog's head before cooking it.
4. Describe the hoop snake.
5. Explain where the expression "That must'a had a dead hog in it" comes from.
6. Explain basically how moonshining began.
7. Describe Daniel's home and how Daniel is described.
8. Describe the way the recipes in 'Mountain Recipes' are told.
9. How do you prepare frog?
10. Explain the basic differences between curing and smoking.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"White Oak Splits," "Making a Hamper out of White Oak Splits" and "Making a Basket out of White Oak Splits" were all separate articles that could have been easily grouped together.
Part 1) What were the reasons that these three articles were not put together?
Part 2) What other articles in the book could have been easily grouped together? Explain why these articles fit together.
Part 3) Would it have made the articles more or less understandable to have grouped them together? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Law enforcement and revenuers are looked at.
Part 1) Is it likely that the law enforcement and those making moonshine were truly as friendly as the story suggests?
Part 2) Does this explanation of the relationship between local law enforcement and the moonshiners contradict or reinforce preconceived notions as to the interaction between these two groups? Explain your answer.
Part 3) What does this information reveal about the moonshiners and the law enforcement?
Essay Topic 3
Pick one to write about.
Part 1) How would the story have been different if the articles had been "How To" only without the human stories and personal touches included? Explain your answer.
Part 2) Could any of the stories given been made into short stories or books on their own? Explain why or why not.
Part 3) Is the Foxfire Book a realistic help to a person that intended to live off the land? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)