|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Daniel play?
2. What does the sweet potato do to indicate a harsh winter?
3. What does the healer, Charley Tyler, say causes Thrush?
4. What is said to have been the prime source of meat for the early family in the mountains?
5. What do the squirrels do if it is going to be a bad winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the hoop snake.
2. What is explained about the remedies looked at in 'Home Remedies' before the remedies are given?
3. Explain the process of drying and why it was done.
4. How do you prepare frog?
5. Explain the reasons that mountain men hunted.
6. What is the difference between the direction given by Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Philips' method for churning butter and that of Mrs. Norton's?
7. Explain where the expression "That must'a had a dead hog in it" comes from.
8. Describe the story that Bill Lamb tells about why they remove the eyes from the hog's head before cooking it.
9. How does Taylor Crockett say that bear meat was divided up?
10. Describe what kind of interviews that were done for the section on 'Planting by the Signs.'
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different homes that are described in the book.
Part 1) Which home seems the most unique to you? Explain why this home stuck out for you.
Part 2) What is significant about knowing that Daniel Manous lived in a bread truck?
Part 3) Does knowing where these people live affect the reader's thoughts about the person? Explain why or why not and how.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the people in the book are described as self-sufficient.
Part 1) Describe what it means to be self-sufficient.
Part 2) How is being self-sufficient today different from that of Aunt Arie or Hillard Green? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Which of the articles seemed to be the most helpful as a 'how to' guide? Explain.
Part 2) Which of the articles seemed to be the least helpful as a 'how to' guide? Why?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)