|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Watts say her brothers used pine to build?
2. What does Foxfire first start out as?
3. How far does Mrs. Watts say they had to travel to see the car?
4. What is said to be just as important as the tools?
5. How do the authors say they have written down the information on building a log cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of questions do the girls ask Pearl Martin?
2. Describe the basics for weather signs and the different ways they are obtained.
3. Describe the Friendship Quilt.
4. What does Wigginton say is part of the Foxfire magazine although proper English is not a concern?
5. Describe the differences between using the fire in the winter and in the warmer months.
6. How is Beulah's house described?
7. What are some of the things that Lon is noted for doing?
8. Describe the joint snake.
9. Describe what a 'rope bed' is.
10. In the beginning of the chapter 'Hunting Tales' what do the beginning chapters explain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Discuss religion and the role that it played for the majority of the people interviewed.
Part 2) Why does it seem that religion was so strong a theme in each person's life?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Wigginton tries to find a unique method to teach the students.
Part 1) Given what is told to the reader and the results in the story does it seem likely that Mr. Wigginton had a large impact on his students? Explain why or why not?
Part 2) Is it likely that this same method would work again with students today? Explain your answer.
Part 3) What does it say about Mr. Wigginton's personality that he wanted so badly to find a unique way to teach his students?
Essay Topic 3
Law enforcement and revenuers are looked at.
Part 1) Is it likely that the law enforcement and those making moonshine were truly as friendly as the story suggests?
Part 2) Does this explanation of the relationship between local law enforcement and the moonshiners contradict or reinforce preconceived notions as to the interaction between these two groups? Explain your answer.
Part 3) What does this information reveal about the moonshiners and the law enforcement?
This section contains 2,027 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)