|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do the students say it took them to gather information about building the log cabin?
2. What is the last thing that Mrs. Watts describes in her essay?
3. When does Mrs. Lester Norton say that they changed the straw in her straw mattress?
4. What is NOT included in the article 'Rope, Straw, and Feathers are to Sleep on?'
5. How long does it take to produce coals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the differences between using the fire in the winter and in the warmer months.
2. Describe what is explained about Chinking.
3. What are a few of the tales that are told about Chimneys from those interviewed in 'Chimney Building?'
4. What are the students responsible for doing for the magazine?
5. Explain why the Foxfire magazine is originally started?
6. What do the different women interviewed have to say about making the soap?
7. How is Beulah's house described?
8. What kind of questions do the girls ask Pearl Martin?
9. What are the uses for wood as it is described in the first chapter of the section titled "Wood?"
10. What skills and tools are told about for building a log cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Explain the importance of the students that were interviewing the people.
Part 2) How would the story have been different if they had not been students but had been adult reporters of some type? Explain your point of view.
Part 3) Is there any indication in the articles that the students put pieces of their own thoughts or ideas into the stories? Support your answer and cite the places in the book where this information is found.
Essay Topic 2
Law enforcement and revenuers are looked at.
Part 1) Is it likely that the law enforcement and those making moonshine were truly as friendly as the story suggests?
Part 2) Does this explanation of the relationship between local law enforcement and the moonshiners contradict or reinforce preconceived notions as to the interaction between these two groups? Explain your answer.
Part 3) What does this information reveal about the moonshiners and the law enforcement?
Essay Topic 3
Pick one to write about.
Part 1) How would the story have been different if the articles had been "How To" only without the human stories and personal touches included? Explain your answer.
Part 2) Could any of the stories given been made into short stories or books on their own? Explain why or why not.
Part 3) Is the Foxfire Book a realistic help to a person that intended to live off the land? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)