|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Wigginton explain that the information in this book was originally given to the people that were interviewed?
2. What ailment does Aunt Arie have according to the author?
3. What often attacked fresh chinking in chimneys?
4. What are the students responsible for getting when Foxfire is first started?
5. What do the students say that quilting patterns are like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the different women interviewed have to say about making the soap?
2. How are the mallet and maul described in 'Tools and Skills.'
3. In the chapter entitled "Aunt Arie", what does the author suggest might be the reasons for the void between youth and the older generations which the author felt?
4. What does Aunt Arie tell the students about her parents?
5. What are the uses for wood as it is described in the first chapter of the section titled "Wood?"
6. Describe the Friendship Quilt.
7. Describe the events that surround the first time Mrs. Watts sees a car.
8. What skills and tools are told about for building a log cabin?
9. How is Beulah's house described?
10. What are a few of the tales that are told about Chimneys from those interviewed in 'Chimney Building?'
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Which of the articles seemed to be the most helpful as a 'how to' guide? Explain.
Part 2) Which of the articles seemed to be the least helpful as a 'how to' guide? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the people in the book are described as self-sufficient.
Part 1) Describe what it means to be self-sufficient.
Part 2) How is being self-sufficient today different from that of Aunt Arie or Hillard Green? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Pick on person that was interviewed for the Foxfire Book to do another interview with. Which person did you pick and why?
Part 2) What subject would you be interested in finding out about that could easily fit into the Foxfire Book themes? Why did you pick that subject and how does it fit?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)