|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would happen if the wood used in tight-fitting tools and other objects wasn't seasoned?
2. What might happen if there wasn't a proper footing on the chimney?
3. How long do the students say it took them to gather information about building the log cabin?
4. Why does Aunt Arie explain that she doesn't want to cut the eye if she can help it?
5. When does Mrs. Algie Norton say she saw her first real mattress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the Watt's family lived.
2. Explain why the Foxfire magazine is originally started?
3. What information is given in 'An Old Chair Maker Shows How?'
4. What are some of the things that Lon is noted for doing?
5. What skills and tools are told about for building a log cabin?
6. What kind of questions do the girls ask Pearl Martin?
7. What are a few of the tales that are told about Chimneys from those interviewed in 'Chimney Building?'
8. What does the last paragraph in the section titled 'Wood' say about wood and the mountain men?
9. What is explained to the reader about picking the correct timber for making white oak splits?
10. Describe the events that surround the first time Mrs. Watts sees a car.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) What is the author's purpose in the Foxfire Book?
Part 2) Is that purpose accomplished? Explain why or why not.
Part 3) Could this book easily be made into a continuation in current day times? Would it be popular as it was when it was originally published? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Describe Hillard Green's character.
Part 2) Pick one word, or short phrase, to describe Hillard Green. Explain why you have chosen that word or phrase.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the people in the book are described as self-sufficient.
Part 1) Describe what it means to be self-sufficient.
Part 2) How is being self-sufficient today different from that of Aunt Arie or Hillard Green? Explain.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)