|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the students say that quilting patterns are like?
2. What had the Foxfire magazine's purpose started out being when they looked into writing about quilts?
3. What is Lon Reid said to still have?
4. What were early chimneys called?
5. Where is Aunt Arie's husband at the time the story is written?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Watts describe Christmas and the children's reactions to their gifts?
2. How are Dutch Ovens used?
3. Describe what a 'rope bed' is.
4. What information is given in 'An Old Chair Maker Shows How?'
5. How are the mallet and maul described in 'Tools and Skills.'
6. In the chapter entitled "Aunt Arie", what does the author suggest might be the reasons for the void between youth and the older generations which the author felt?
7. What kind of information is to go into the Foxfire magazine?
8. How are the instructions divided up in the chapter titled 'Building a Log Cabin?'
9. What does Aunt Arie tell the students about her parents?
10. Explain why the Foxfire magazine is originally started?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Which of the articles seemed to be the most helpful as a 'how to' guide? Explain.
Part 2) Which of the articles seemed to be the least helpful as a 'how to' guide? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Discuss religion and the role that it played for the majority of the people interviewed.
Part 2) Why does it seem that religion was so strong a theme in each person's life?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Describe Hillard Green's character.
Part 2) Pick one word, or short phrase, to describe Hillard Green. Explain why you have chosen that word or phrase.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)