|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do the students say it took them to gather information about building the log cabin?
2. What does Mrs. Watts say she and her brothers received one Christmas from Santa Clause?
3. When does Mrs. Algie Norton say she saw her first real mattress?
4. What is the last thing that Mrs. Watts describes in her essay?
5. What is NOT needed for hewing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the students go to find a rope bed?
2. What information is given in 'An Old Chair Maker Shows How?'
3. Why do the students realize that it would be impossible to give a set a blue prints for each cabin?
4. Describe how the article "This is the Way I was Raised Up" was written.
5. How is Beulah's house described?
6. How does Mrs. Watts describe Christmas and the children's reactions to their gifts?
7. How are Dutch Ovens used?
8. What do the different women interviewed have to say about making the soap?
9. What instructions does Aunt Arie give about making souse meat?
10. What are a few of the tales that are told about Chimneys from those interviewed in 'Chimney Building?'
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Which of the people interviewed seemed to be the most important or to have the biggest impact on the story? Explain why you chose this person.
Part 2) Which character stood out the most in the story? Why do you think this was?
Essay Topic 2
Daniel Manous, Aunt Arie, and Hillard Green are the only people in the book to have an article named after them.
Part 1) Compare these people together. What do they have in common that makes them people of interest?
Part 2) Which of these people stands out the most and why.
Part 3) Rename these three articles. Explain why you chose the new titles that you decided on.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Discuss religion and the role that it played for the majority of the people interviewed.
Part 2) Why does it seem that religion was so strong a theme in each person's life?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)