|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Watts' family use to make coffee?
2. What were early chimneys called?
3. What was made from the white oak splits that were made during the article 'White Oak Splits?'
4. What was Eliot Wigginton's job at the time that he helped to start Foxfire?
5. How were things fried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is given in 'An Old Chair Maker Shows How?'
2. What instructions does Aunt Arie give about making souse meat?
3. Describe how the article "This is the Way I was Raised Up" was written.
4. Explain why the Foxfire magazine is originally started?
5. Describe what is explained about Chinking.
6. What skills and tools are told about for building a log cabin?
7. Describe the Friendship Quilt.
8. What do the different women interviewed have to say about making the soap?
9. Explain how the Watt's family lived.
10. How are Dutch Ovens used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though certain subjects are given an entire article all to itself there are many subjects that are repeatedly looked at throughout the book.
Part 1) Name three subjects that are discussed, at least in a minor detail, throughout the book.
Part 2) Pick one of these three subjects and speculate on why it tied in to so many different areas in the book.
Part 3) Would it have been possible to have written the book without this subject? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Discuss religion and the role that it played for the majority of the people interviewed.
Part 2) Why does it seem that religion was so strong a theme in each person's life?
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of solitude talked about in the story.
Part 1) What does it indicate that so many of the people in the story talked about their solitude or the fact that they were cut off from the world?
Part 2) What seems to be the main reason for the solitude that people endured?
Part 3) What does it appear that the solitude gave the people?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)