|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Harriet Echols say that she used to put in her soap to thicken up the soap?
2. What does Foxfire first start out as?
3. Which of these methods was not a way to cure wood?
4. What do the students ask about making homemade soap that makes Pearl Martin laugh?
5. When does Mrs. Algie Norton say she saw her first real mattress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story that Bill Lamb tells about why they remove the eyes from the hog's head before cooking it.
2. Describe the differences between using the fire in the winter and in the warmer months.
3. Explain the reasons that mountain men hunted.
4. How do you prepare frog?
5. What are a few of the tales that are told about Chimneys from those interviewed in 'Chimney Building?'
6. Describe the Friendship Quilt.
7. What is explained about the remedies looked at in 'Home Remedies' before the remedies are given?
8. How does Mrs. Watts describe Christmas and the children's reactions to their gifts?
9. What information is given in 'An Old Chair Maker Shows How?'
10. How does Taylor Crockett say that bear meat was divided up?
Essay Topic 1
Law enforcement and revenuers are looked at.
Part 1) Is it likely that the law enforcement and those making moonshine were truly as friendly as the story suggests?
Part 2) Does this explanation of the relationship between local law enforcement and the moonshiners contradict or reinforce preconceived notions as to the interaction between these two groups? Explain your answer.
Part 3) What does this information reveal about the moonshiners and the law enforcement?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Pick on person that was interviewed for the Foxfire Book to do another interview with. Which person did you pick and why?
Part 2) What subject would you be interested in finding out about that could easily fit into the Foxfire Book themes? Why did you pick that subject and how does it fit?
Essay Topic 3
Daniel Manous, Aunt Arie, and Hillard Green are the only people in the book to have an article named after them.
Part 1) Compare these people together. What do they have in common that makes them people of interest?
Part 2) Which of these people stands out the most and why.
Part 3) Rename these three articles. Explain why you chose the new titles that you decided on.
This section contains 2,115 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)