Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what area do the people interviewed for Foxfire live?
2. Why does Beulah say that she has had a possum head cooked for her in her past?
3. What is the fireplace once said to have been?
4. What was Eliot Wigginton's job at the time that he helped to start Foxfire?
5. What was used for bread when cornmeal and wheat could not be ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story that Bill Lamb tells about why they remove the eyes from the hog's head before cooking it.
2. In the beginning of the chapter 'Hunting Tales' what do the beginning chapters explain?
3. Describe the story of 'The Buzzard and the Dog.'
4. How does Mrs. Watts describe Christmas and the children's reactions to their gifts?
5. Describe how the article "This is the Way I was Raised Up" was written.
6. Describe the differences between using the fire in the winter and in the warmer months.
7. Why do the students realize that it would be impossible to give a set a blue prints for each cabin?
8. How are Dutch Ovens used?
9. How does Taylor Crockett say that bear meat was divided up?
10. What does Mrs. Andy Webb explain about her gift.
Essay Topic 1
Though certain subjects are given an entire article all to itself there are many subjects that are repeatedly looked at throughout the book.
Part 1) Name three subjects that are discussed, at least in a minor detail, throughout the book.
Part 2) Pick one of these three subjects and speculate on why it tied in to so many different areas in the book.
Part 3) Would it have been possible to have written the book without this subject? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Describe Hillard Green's character.
Part 2) Pick one word, or short phrase, to describe Hillard Green. Explain why you have chosen that word or phrase.
Essay Topic 3
There are many different homes that are described in the book.
Part 1) Which home seems the most unique to you? Explain why this home stuck out for you.
Part 2) What is significant about knowing that Daniel Manous lived in a bread truck?
Part 3) Does knowing where these people live affect the reader's thoughts about the person? Explain why or why not and how.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)