|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what area do the people interviewed for Foxfire live?
2. What did Mrs. Watts' family use to make coffee?
3. What does Mrs. Harriet Echols say that she used to put in her soap to thicken up the soap?
4. What does Mrs. Pearl Martin say she does to clean her straw bed?
5. What do the students call the Dutch Oven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wigginton say is part of the Foxfire magazine although proper English is not a concern?
2. How are the instructions divided up in the chapter titled 'Building a Log Cabin?'
3. What does Aunt Arie tell the students about her parents?
4. Describe the Friendship Quilt.
5. What skills and tools are told about for building a log cabin?
6. Explain how the Watt's family lived.
7. What are the uses for wood as it is described in the first chapter of the section titled "Wood?"
8. What instructions does Aunt Arie give about making souse meat?
9. How are Dutch Ovens used?
10. What do the different women interviewed have to say about making the soap?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Daniel Manous, Aunt Arie, and Hillard Green are the only people in the book to have an article named after them.
Part 1) Compare these people together. What do they have in common that makes them people of interest?
Part 2) Which of these people stands out the most and why.
Part 3) Rename these three articles. Explain why you chose the new titles that you decided on.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Should all of this book be considered non-fiction even though there is no proof that many of the things in the book are fact? Explain.
Part 2) What role does folklore and legends have in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the people in the book are described as self-sufficient.
Part 1) Describe what it means to be self-sufficient.
Part 2) How is being self-sufficient today different from that of Aunt Arie or Hillard Green? Explain.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)