|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following national groups have supported Foxfire?
2. What has caused the loss of the fine art of building a genuine log cabin?
3. What was the Black Gum NOT used for?
4. What year was Foxfire established?
5. Which of the following is NOT a reason that someone might receive a blanket?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what a 'rope bed' is.
2. What does Aunt Arie tell the students about her parents?
3. What is explained to the reader about picking the correct timber for making white oak splits?
4. Where do the students go to find a rope bed?
5. Describe what is explained about Chinking.
6. Explain how the Watt's family lived.
7. What does Wigginton say is part of the Foxfire magazine although proper English is not a concern?
8. Describe how the article "This is the Way I was Raised Up" was written.
9. What does the last paragraph in the section titled 'Wood' say about wood and the mountain men?
10. Describe the events that surround the first time Mrs. Watts sees a car.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one to write about.
Part 1) How would the story have been different if the articles had been "How To" only without the human stories and personal touches included? Explain your answer.
Part 2) Could any of the stories given been made into short stories or books on their own? Explain why or why not.
Part 3) Is the Foxfire Book a realistic help to a person that intended to live off the land? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Which of the articles seemed to be the most helpful as a 'how to' guide? Explain.
Part 2) Which of the articles seemed to be the least helpful as a 'how to' guide? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Law enforcement and revenuers are looked at.
Part 1) Is it likely that the law enforcement and those making moonshine were truly as friendly as the story suggests?
Part 2) Does this explanation of the relationship between local law enforcement and the moonshiners contradict or reinforce preconceived notions as to the interaction between these two groups? Explain your answer.
Part 3) What does this information reveal about the moonshiners and the law enforcement?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)