|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing that Mrs. Watts describes in her essay?
2. What does Mrs. Watts say was their reaction to the gifts that Santa Clause had left them?
3. What does Wigginton say is NOT a primary concern in the magazine?
4. How were things fried?
5. Why is green wood put on after the fire has caught?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of questions do the girls ask Pearl Martin?
2. How are Dutch Ovens used?
3. Describe what is explained about Chinking.
4. Explain how the Watt's family lived.
5. How is Beulah's house described?
6. How are the mallet and maul described in 'Tools and Skills.'
7. What does Aunt Arie tell the students about her parents?
8. Describe what Aunt Arie tells the students about doing things they are ashamed of?
9. Where do the students go to find a rope bed?
10. What does Wigginton say is part of the Foxfire magazine although proper English is not a concern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different homes that are described in the book.
Part 1) Which home seems the most unique to you? Explain why this home stuck out for you.
Part 2) What is significant about knowing that Daniel Manous lived in a bread truck?
Part 3) Does knowing where these people live affect the reader's thoughts about the person? Explain why or why not and how.
Essay Topic 2
Take a closer look at the purpose of a quilting circle.
Part 1) What images come to mind when the phrase 'quilting circle' is mentioned? Why?
Part 2) Explain the practicality of a quilting circle?
Part 3) Would it be possible to get a quilting circle together in modern times? How would it be different? How would it be the same? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Law enforcement and revenuers are looked at.
Part 1) Is it likely that the law enforcement and those making moonshine were truly as friendly as the story suggests?
Part 2) Does this explanation of the relationship between local law enforcement and the moonshiners contradict or reinforce preconceived notions as to the interaction between these two groups? Explain your answer.
Part 3) What does this information reveal about the moonshiners and the law enforcement?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)