|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Aunt Arie's husband at the time the story is written?
2. What has caused the loss of the fine art of building a genuine log cabin?
3. What were the earliest simple mattresses called?
4. What does the term 'Dressing' refer to?
5. In the beginning of 'Wood,' what does the author say is the most vital factor in determining the way of life of a self-sufficient people in a particular area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wigginton say is part of the Foxfire magazine although proper English is not a concern?
2. What are some of the things that Lon is noted for doing?
3. How are the mallet and maul described in 'Tools and Skills.'
4. What are the students responsible for doing for the magazine?
5. Describe the basics for weather signs and the different ways they are obtained.
6. Describe the hoop snake.
7. Explain the basic differences between curing and smoking.
8. Explain why the Foxfire magazine is originally started?
9. What is Daniel's story about that he tells the students?
10. What is explained about the remedies looked at in 'Home Remedies' before the remedies are given?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different homes that are described in the book.
Part 1) Which home seems the most unique to you? Explain why this home stuck out for you.
Part 2) What is significant about knowing that Daniel Manous lived in a bread truck?
Part 3) Does knowing where these people live affect the reader's thoughts about the person? Explain why or why not and how.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Discuss religion and the role that it played for the majority of the people interviewed.
Part 2) Why does it seem that religion was so strong a theme in each person's life?
Essay Topic 3
Pick one to write about.
Part 1) How would the story have been different if the articles had been "How To" only without the human stories and personal touches included? Explain your answer.
Part 2) Could any of the stories given been made into short stories or books on their own? Explain why or why not.
Part 3) Is the Foxfire Book a realistic help to a person that intended to live off the land? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 2,053 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)