|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the students call the Dutch Oven?
2. Why is it suggested that the foundation be at least 18" high?
3. What do the students say is one reason why they have asked Beulah to help them make a basket?
4. What was NOT added to the clay to help the chinking in the chimney set up more quickly?
5. How does Wigginton explain that the information in this book was originally given to the people that were interviewed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are a few of the tales that are told about Chimneys from those interviewed in 'Chimney Building?'
2. What instructions does Aunt Arie give about making souse meat?
3. Describe how the article "This is the Way I was Raised Up" was written.
4. How are the instructions divided up in the chapter titled 'Building a Log Cabin?'
5. Describe the events that surround the first time Mrs. Watts sees a car.
6. Describe what Aunt Arie tells the students about doing things they are ashamed of?
7. What are the students responsible for doing for the magazine?
8. Explain why the Foxfire magazine is originally started?
9. What does Wigginton say is part of the Foxfire magazine although proper English is not a concern?
10. What are the uses for wood as it is described in the first chapter of the section titled "Wood?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take a closer look at the purpose of a quilting circle.
Part 1) What images come to mind when the phrase 'quilting circle' is mentioned? Why?
Part 2) Explain the practicality of a quilting circle?
Part 3) Would it be possible to get a quilting circle together in modern times? How would it be different? How would it be the same? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Daniel Manous, Aunt Arie, and Hillard Green are the only people in the book to have an article named after them.
Part 1) Compare these people together. What do they have in common that makes them people of interest?
Part 2) Which of these people stands out the most and why.
Part 3) Rename these three articles. Explain why you chose the new titles that you decided on.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Which of the people interviewed seemed to be the most important or to have the biggest impact on the story? Explain why you chose this person.
Part 2) Which character stood out the most in the story? Why do you think this was?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)