|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bit the preacher in Daniel's story?
2. What does a hunter mean when he says 'I cut him down.'?
(a) That he cut down the tree.
(b) That he opened fire.
(c) That he insulted the creature badly.
(d) That he cut the animal down after skinning it.
3. How do you cure cramps in your feet?
(a) Walk barefoot on a wood fence.
(b) Put pine leaves in your shoes.
(c) Turn your shoes upside down before going to bed.
(d) Put a Bible at the foot of the bed.
4. Which of these wolly worm actions does NOT does not imply there is going to be a bad winter?
(a) Is found crawling before the first frost.
(b) Has a heavy coat.
(c) Is harder to find.
(d) Lots of them are seen.
5. What is the process of laying fruit out on trays in front of the fire called?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it typically unnecessary for farmers to hunt for food in the forest?
2. When does Daisy Justice say is the best time to pickle vegetables?
3. Those who believe in the signs in part base their belief on what?
4. How long should the carcass of a possum be soaked before cooking to eat?
5. What is it that whited the apples in the bleaching process?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story that Bill Lamb tells about why they remove the eyes from the hog's head before cooking it.
2. Describe Daniel's home and how Daniel is described.
3. Explain the reasons that mountain men hunted.
4. Explain the basic differences between curing and smoking.
5. Explain the reasons that hogs were the mountain people's main meat.
6. What is the difference between the direction given by Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Philips' method for churning butter and that of Mrs. Norton's?
7. Describe the hoop snake.
8. What different processes are looked at in Preserving Vegetables?
9. In the beginning of the chapter 'Hunting Tales' what do the beginning chapters explain?
10. Describe what kind of interviews that were done for the section on 'Planting by the Signs.'
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)