|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can be used in place of a churn for quicker results?
(a) A jar.
(b) A wash tub.
(c) A frying pan.
(d) A cake pan.
2. What is the first recipe given in Mountain Recipes?
(a) Brunswick Stew.
(b) Aunt Arie's Cornbread.
(c) Potato Bread.
(d) Apple Dumplings.
3. How does a coachwhip snake kill animals?
(a) Wriggling into the ear canal.
(b) Wraps around them and whips them so that they run to death.
(c) Causing madness.
4. Why is it typically unnecessary for farmers to hunt for food in the forest?
(a) They keep track of where the forst animals are and take them when asleep.
(b) They can easily set out traps.
(c) They keep enough of their own livestock.
(d) It's a mystery.
5. What does Mrs. Algie Norton say makes the best Hominy?
(a) Big grain white corn.
(b) Big grain yellow corn.
(c) Small grain white corn.
(d) No such thing as good hominy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the 'leaf lard?'
2. What does Grady Waldroop cut off of the turkey and leave for the old man along with a note?
3. What does the sweet potato do to indicate a harsh winter?
4. Where are many of the mountain men descended from?
5. How is Daniel Manous described in the first line of the chapter titled 'Daniel Manous?'
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the basics for weather signs and the different ways they are obtained.
2. Explain where the expression "That must'a had a dead hog in it" comes from.
3. What is the difference between the direction given by Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Philips' method for churning butter and that of Mrs. Norton's?
4. How does Taylor Crockett say that bear meat was divided up?
5. Explain the basic differences between curing and smoking.
6. Explain how cracklin's are made.
7. What is explained about the remedies looked at in 'Home Remedies' before the remedies are given?
8. Describe the joint snake.
9. Describe the directions given for skinning a raccoon.
10. Describe the way the recipes in 'Mountain Recipes' are told.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)