|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the bull snake do that gave it its name?
(a) Rakes the ground with it's tail.
(b) Grows horns.
(d) Blow like a bull when a bull gets mad.
2. When was hog killing generally done?
(a) Whenever the hog got fat.
(c) Late November.
(d) Whenever the farmer got hungry.
3. What do the students say that stories about hunting inevitably turn to?
(b) Hunting tales.
(c) Tales about dogs.
(d) How their parents taught them to hunt.
4. What sometimes falls into the mash and drowns?
(a) Free range hogs.
5. What is the process of laying fruit out on trays in front of the fire called?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is often mixed with hog brains when being cooked?
2. How does a coachwhip snake kill animals?
3. What does Grady Waldroop cut off of the turkey and leave for the old man along with a note?
4. What does the healer, Charley Tyler, say causes Thrush?
5. What did a steady diet of acorns do to the meat of a hog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the hoop snake.
2. Describe Daniel's home and how Daniel is described.
3. Explain the reasons that hogs were the mountain people's main meat.
4. Explain the reasons that mountain men hunted.
5. How does Taylor Crockett say that bear meat was divided up?
6. What does Mrs. Andy Webb explain about her gift.
7. Explain how cracklin's are made.
8. What does Harley Carpenter say about faith healing?
9. Describe the story of 'The Buzzard and the Dog.'
10. Describe the story that Bill Lamb tells about why they remove the eyes from the hog's head before cooking it.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)