|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is 'side meat' made into?
(c) Pork chops.
2. What bit the preacher in Daniel's story?
3. What does a hunter mean when he says 'I cut him down.'?
(a) That he insulted the creature badly.
(b) That he opened fire.
(c) That he cut the animal down after skinning it.
(d) That he cut down the tree.
4. What is Andy Webb's turkey call made out of?
(a) Cown horn.
(b) An old modified tin whistle.
(c) Piece of hollowed out wood.
(d) White Oak.
5. What do you cut out of the hog's head before making souse and is one of the only things on the hog's head not used in souse?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the healer, Charley Tyler, say causes Thrush?
2. What does the soaking do to the meat?
3. What should you remove when making Tomato Catsup?
4. What can you do with deer meat?
5. Why is it typically unnecessary for farmers to hunt for food in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Taylor Crockett say that bear meat was divided up?
2. Explain the basic differences between curing and smoking.
3. In the beginning of the chapter 'Hunting Tales' what do the beginning chapters explain?
4. What does Andy Webb say is the difference between when he was younger and when he is an old man in terms of the wildlife hunted?
5. Explain basically how moonshining began.
6. Explain the reasons that hogs were the mountain people's main meat.
7. Explain the reasons that mountain men hunted.
8. Describe the joint snake.
9. Explain where the expression "That must'a had a dead hog in it" comes from.
10. Describe the directions given for skinning a raccoon.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)