|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the healer, Charley Tyler, say causes Thrush?
(a) Condemnation from God.
(b) Letting the child put somethin dirty in his mouth.
(c) Letting the child be dirty too long.
(d) A cat in the house.
2. What is a painter as it is referred to by the mountain people interviewed?
(a) A creature of legend.
(b) A person who paints houses.
(c) A large mountain lion.
(d) A panther.
3. What bit the preacher in Daniel's story?
4. Where is the art of moonshining said to have begun?
(a) The hatred of the Britons and their excise tax.
(b) Prohibition laws.
(c) No one is sure.
(d) Revenue officers.
5. Which of the following is NOT a name for Souse?
(a) Pressed hog's head.
(b) Hog eye.
(c) Souse meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of coals were used for bleaching according to Mrs. Carrie Dillard Garrison, because they held heat longer and stayed alive longer?
2. What do you cut out of the hog's head before making souse and is one of the only things on the hog's head not used in souse?
3. What sometimes falls into the mash and drowns?
4. A person that can heal a burn is said to do what?
5. What do most healers claim will happen if others hear them speak the words that God has given them to speak to heal someone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how cracklin's are made.
2. What does Mrs. Andy Webb explain about her gift.
3. Describe the joint snake.
4. What is the difference between the direction given by Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Philips' method for churning butter and that of Mrs. Norton's?
5. Describe the story that Bill Lamb tells about why they remove the eyes from the hog's head before cooking it.
6. How do you prepare frog?
7. How does Taylor Crockett say that bear meat was divided up?
8. Describe the story of 'The Buzzard and the Dog.'
9. Describe the directions given for skinning a raccoon.
10. Explain where the expression "That must'a had a dead hog in it" comes from.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)