|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ailment does Aunt Arie have according to the author?
(a) Deaf due to fever.
(b) Crazy due to living in the woods alone.
(c) Blind due to cataracts.
(d) Paralyzed due to stroke.
2. What does Pearl Martin say about the coloring of homemade soap?
(a) It is always a darker color.
(b) It is almost clear.
(c) It depends on the ingredients used.
(d) It never came out looking the same twice.
3. What is Lon Reid said to still have?
(a) An ox and cart.
(b) An old stihl.
(c) Active bee gum hives.
(d) His mother and father's sorghum mill.
4. What did Dan's father say to do if the limbs on the white oak droop?
(a) Let the tree stand.
(b) Avoid all trees within a twenty foot spread of that one.
(c) Take that tree.
(d) Cut off the limbs and let it be for a week.
5. What do the students ask about making homemade soap that makes Pearl Martin laugh?
(a) They ask about putting perfume in it.
(b) They ask where she got her recipe.
(c) They ask what colors she can make.
(d) They ask if it is better than dial soap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fireplace once said to have been?
2. What does Mrs. Pearl Martin say she does to clean her straw bed?
3. What is NOT needed for hewing?
4. Why is green wood put on after the fire has caught?
5. What are the students responsible for getting when Foxfire is first started?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harley Carpenter say about faith healing?
2. Explain where the expression "That must'a had a dead hog in it" comes from.
3. Describe what is explained about Chinking.
4. What are a few of the tales that are told about Chimneys from those interviewed in 'Chimney Building?'
5. Describe the joint snake.
6. What does Mrs. Andy Webb explain about her gift.
7. Describe the differences between using the fire in the winter and in the warmer months.
8. Describe what Aunt Arie tells the students about doing things they are ashamed of?
9. Why do the students realize that it would be impossible to give a set a blue prints for each cabin?
10. Describe the events that surround the first time Mrs. Watts sees a car.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)