|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the earliest simple mattresses called?
(a) Rope Beds.
(b) Feather Cushions.
(c) Hay Mats.
2. What do the students call the Dutch Oven?
(a) A bread pan.
(b) Cake slab.
(c) One of the most useful cooking utensils.
(d) A timeless invention.
3. What kind of grease does Pearl Martin say she usually likes to use in her soap, although you can use most any kind?
(a) Chicken grease.
(b) Whatever she has on hand.
(c) Hog grease.
(d) Mutton tallow.
4. What does it suggest in the instructions that the foundation of the log cabin should be made out of?
(a) Cured white oat logs that have been scorched to prevent termite damage.
(b) An elevated dirt floor.
(c) Solid rock spanning the length and width of the house.
(d) Large boulders placed at the four corners of the house and each 10 foot between.
5. Which of these methods was not a way to cure wood?
(b) Stack the Lumber Crosswise.
(c) Use Dry Kiln.
(d) Salt the Ends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Harriet Echols say was done to clean a rope bed?
2. What does Wigginton suggest could be an answer to student failure?
3. What are Aunt Arie's stories said to be "spiced" with?
4. What does Wigginton say is NOT a primary concern in the magazine?
5. What does Mrs. Watts say her brothers used pine to build?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the last paragraph in the section titled 'Wood' say about wood and the mountain men?
2. Describe the events that surround the first time Mrs. Watts sees a car.
3. What are a few of the tales that are told about Chimneys from those interviewed in 'Chimney Building?'
4. How are the mallet and maul described in 'Tools and Skills.'
5. What do the different women interviewed have to say about making the soap?
6. What are the uses for wood as it is described in the first chapter of the section titled "Wood?"
7. In the chapter entitled "Aunt Arie", what does the author suggest might be the reasons for the void between youth and the older generations which the author felt?
8. What are the students responsible for doing for the magazine?
9. Describe what is explained about Chinking.
10. What does Aunt Arie tell the students about her parents?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)