|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Watts say she and her brothers received one Christmas from Santa Clause?
(a) Pig tails and a lump of coal.
(b) Three pieces of candy and an orange.
(c) A candy bar and some new socks.
(d) An apple and a bag of marbles.
2. What did a chimney have to do so that it didn't smoke?
(b) Go straight up.
(c) Face southeast.
(d) Have a hole under it to let the ashes fall out.
3. In the beginning of 'Wood,' what does the author say is the most vital factor in determining the way of life of a self-sufficient people in a particular area?
(c) Natural resources.
4. What is NOT included in the article 'Rope, Straw, and Feathers are to Sleep on?'
(b) Places to buy your own hand crafted feather bed.
5. Why does the author, Paul Gillespie, say he is apprehensive about meeting Aunt Arie for the first time?
(a) He believed she would not welcome him.
(b) He didn't know what to expect.
(c) He knew she was crazy.
(d) He had heard she was very ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Watts say was their reaction to the gifts that Santa Clause had left them?
2. What does Wigginton suggest could be an answer to student failure?
3. How long do the students say it took them to gather information about building the log cabin?
4. Which of the following is NOT a reason that someone might receive a blanket?
5. What kind of meat does Aunt Arie say she doesn't want?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Watts describe Christmas and the children's reactions to their gifts?
2. What are the uses for wood as it is described in the first chapter of the section titled "Wood?"
3. What kind of information is to go into the Foxfire magazine?
4. What does the last paragraph in the section titled 'Wood' say about wood and the mountain men?
5. Where do the students go to find a rope bed?
6. What are the students responsible for doing for the magazine?
7. Describe the events that surround the first time Mrs. Watts sees a car.
8. What does Aunt Arie tell the students about her parents?
9. What information is given in 'An Old Chair Maker Shows How?'
10. How are the instructions divided up in the chapter titled 'Building a Log Cabin?'
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)