|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Mrs. Carrie Dillard Garrison say that that she used to make her soap?
(a) Whenever she got dirty enough.
(b) In the spring time.
(c) Whenever they had enough ashes.
(d) When she had enough lard.
2. What did a chimney have to do so that it didn't smoke?
(a) Face southeast.
(b) Go straight up.
(d) Have a hole under it to let the ashes fall out.
3. What does Aunt Arie say she would put in if she had plenty of money?
(a) A sink.
(b) A new hog pen.
(c) A toilet.
(d) A new roof.
4. What were the earliest simple mattresses called?
(a) Hay Mats.
(b) Rope Beds.
(d) Feather Cushions.
5. When does Mrs. Algie Norton say she saw her first real mattress?
(a) When her daughter got married.
(b) She has never seen a real mattress.
(c) When she was grown.
(d) When she was about ten or twelve.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Aunt Arie's stories said to be "spiced" with?
2. What is said to be just as important as the tools?
3. What two things are white oak splits traditionally used for?
4. Why is the wood for chairs usually gathered in the winter or fall?
5. Aunt Arie tells the students not to do anything that they wouldn't want WHO to know?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain basically how moonshining began.
2. What does Wigginton say is part of the Foxfire magazine although proper English is not a concern?
3. Explain how the Watt's family lived.
4. What does Harley Carpenter say about faith healing?
5. What does the last paragraph in the section titled 'Wood' say about wood and the mountain men?
6. What does Andy Webb say is the difference between when he was younger and when he is an old man in terms of the wildlife hunted?
7. Describe the story that Bill Lamb tells about why they remove the eyes from the hog's head before cooking it.
8. Describe the directions given for skinning a raccoon.
9. Explain the process of drying and why it was done.
10. Describe what a 'rope bed' is.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)