|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Watts say her brothers used pine to build?
(b) Bows and Arrows.
2. In what area do the people interviewed for Foxfire live?
(a) Mississippi River.
(b) Appalachian Mountains.
(c) Kentucky Plains.
(d) Ozark Mountains.
3. What kind of grease does Pearl Martin say she usually likes to use in her soap, although you can use most any kind?
(a) Hog grease.
(b) Whatever she has on hand.
(c) Mutton tallow.
(d) Chicken grease.
4. Which of the following is NOT a reason that someone might receive a blanket?
(a) A couple were married.
(b) They were moving away.
(c) A baby was born.
(d) Someone's house burned down.
5. How long does it take to produce coals?
(a) An hour.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) Three hours.
(d) You have to check the fire periodically.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might happen if there wasn't a proper footing on the chimney?
2. What were many of the tools made out of that the pioneers used?
3. What is NOT included in the article 'Rope, Straw, and Feathers are to Sleep on?'
4. What two things are white oak splits traditionally used for?
5. When does Mrs. Carrie Dillard Garrison say that that she used to make her soap?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the last paragraph in the section titled 'Wood' say about wood and the mountain men?
2. Explain how the Watt's family lived.
3. Describe how the article "This is the Way I was Raised Up" was written.
4. What instructions does Aunt Arie give about making souse meat?
5. How does Mrs. Watts describe Christmas and the children's reactions to their gifts?
6. What do the different women interviewed have to say about making the soap?
7. Describe what Emma Jean sees when she sits in on a quilting circle and what the women tell her about the quilting circles.
8. What are a few of the tales that are told about Chimneys from those interviewed in 'Chimney Building?'
9. How is Beulah's house described?
10. What are the uses for wood as it is described in the first chapter of the section titled "Wood?"
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)