|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What often attacked fresh chinking in chimneys?
2. What do the students call the Dutch Oven?
(a) Cake slab.
(b) A timeless invention.
(c) A bread pan.
(d) One of the most useful cooking utensils.
3. What might happen if there wasn't a proper footing on the chimney?
(a) It might tilt away from the house or collapse.
(b) It could catch on fire.
(c) Animals would burrow under it.
(d) It wouldn't draw properly.
4. What two things were said to have been brought to the forests our ancestors settled in the chapter titled "Tools and Skills?"
(a) Knowledge and determination.
(b) Tools and faith.
(c) Tools and igenuity.
(d) Love and hope.
5. What would happen if the wood used in tight-fitting tools and other objects wasn't seasoned?
(a) The wood would shrink and pull away as it dried.
(b) The wood would warp and bend as it dried.
(c) The wood would draw insects to the fresh sap.
(d) The wood would begin to rot.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take to produce coals?
2. What had the Foxfire magazine's purpose started out being when they looked into writing about quilts?
3. What is crucial when making splits?
4. What does Mrs. Watts say she and her brothers received one Christmas from Santa Clause?
5. What is done to the Dutch Oven before cooking with it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the Foxfire magazine is originally started?
2. Describe what a 'rope bed' is.
3. How does Mrs. Watts describe Christmas and the children's reactions to their gifts?
4. What are the students responsible for doing for the magazine?
5. How are the instructions divided up in the chapter titled 'Building a Log Cabin?'
6. What kind of questions do the girls ask Pearl Martin?
7. What instructions does Aunt Arie give about making souse meat?
8. What information is given in 'An Old Chair Maker Shows How?'
9. In the chapter entitled "Aunt Arie", what does the author suggest might be the reasons for the void between youth and the older generations which the author felt?
10. Describe what Aunt Arie tells the students about doing things they are ashamed of?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)