|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it suggested that the foundation be at least 18" high?
(a) To prevent small animals from entering the house.
(b) Termites won't go any higher than 18"
(c) No one is sure.
(d) To be well above the water satuation point.
2. What did the Editor do so that the contents were not altered for the story?
(a) Published it just as Mrs. Watts wrote it.
(b) Had Mrs. Watts proof read it.
(c) Had the English teacher go over it.
(d) Provided many pictures and details for the article.
3. What was used for bread when cornmeal and wheat could not be ground?
4. What is Lon Reid said to still have?
(a) An old stihl.
(b) An ox and cart.
(c) Active bee gum hives.
(d) His mother and father's sorghum mill.
5. What do the students ask about making homemade soap that makes Pearl Martin laugh?
(a) They ask what colors she can make.
(b) They ask where she got her recipe.
(c) They ask about putting perfume in it.
(d) They ask if it is better than dial soap.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the interview what does the student say men like Lon live oblivious to?
2. What is the fireplace once said to have been?
3. What does it suggest in the instructions that the foundation of the log cabin should be made out of?
4. Aunt Arie tells the students not to do anything that they wouldn't want WHO to know?
5. Why does the author, Paul Gillespie, say he is apprehensive about meeting Aunt Arie for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what a 'rope bed' is.
2. What do the different women interviewed have to say about making the soap?
3. In the chapter entitled "Aunt Arie", what does the author suggest might be the reasons for the void between youth and the older generations which the author felt?
4. How are the mallet and maul described in 'Tools and Skills.'
5. Explain why the Foxfire magazine is originally started?
6. What are the students responsible for doing for the magazine?
7. How are the instructions divided up in the chapter titled 'Building a Log Cabin?'
8. How are Dutch Ovens used?
9. What instructions does Aunt Arie give about making souse meat?
10. What does Aunt Arie tell the students about her parents?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)