|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of 'Wood,' what does the author say is the most vital factor in determining the way of life of a self-sufficient people in a particular area?
(b) Natural resources.
2. What was NOT added to the clay to help the chinking in the chimney set up more quickly?
3. How do the authors say they have written down the information on building a log cabin?
(a) As a easily understood story.
(b) As a blue print.
(c) As a set of instructions.
(d) With detailed explanations.
4. What does Wigginton suggest could be an answer to student failure?
(a) Parent Involvement.
(b) Inventive Teaching.
(c) Pride in Thier Community.
(d) A Hobby
5. How does Wigginton explain that the information in this book was originally given to the people that were interviewed?
(a) Sang about in songs.
(b) Written down in family Bibles.
(c) Passed generation to generation.
(d) People just seemed to know it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pearl Martin say about the coloring of homemade soap?
2. What did the sign read when the students reached Lon Reid's property?
3. What often attacked fresh chinking in chimneys?
4. Who are the students NOT told to interview for Foxfire?
5. Why is green wood put on after the fire has caught?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the last paragraph in the section titled 'Wood' say about wood and the mountain men?
2. Describe how the article "This is the Way I was Raised Up" was written.
3. What instructions does Aunt Arie give about making souse meat?
4. How are the instructions divided up in the chapter titled 'Building a Log Cabin?'
5. Describe what a 'rope bed' is.
6. What are the uses for wood as it is described in the first chapter of the section titled "Wood?"
7. How is Beulah's house described?
8. What information is given in 'An Old Chair Maker Shows How?'
9. What are a few of the tales that are told about Chimneys from those interviewed in 'Chimney Building?'
10. What is explained to the reader about picking the correct timber for making white oak splits?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)