|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Wigginton explain that the information in this book was originally given to the people that were interviewed?
(a) Passed generation to generation.
(b) People just seemed to know it.
(c) Sang about in songs.
(d) Written down in family Bibles.
2. What were early chimneys called?
(a) Stick-and-Mud chimneys.
(b) Possum cages.
(c) Smoke stacks.
(d) Brick Rock chimenys
3. What two things were said to have been brought to the forests our ancestors settled in the chapter titled "Tools and Skills?"
(a) Love and hope.
(b) Knowledge and determination.
(c) Tools and igenuity.
(d) Tools and faith.
4. What does Mrs. Claude Darnell suggest might be the reason that there has been a revival in an interest in quilting?
(a) It is a novelty.
(b) Because people want to get back to the good old days.
(c) Because they have fond memories of their grandparents quilting.
(d) Because it is a part of their heritage.
5. Why does the author, Paul Gillespie, say he is apprehensive about meeting Aunt Arie for the first time?
(a) He had heard she was very ill.
(b) He didn't know what to expect.
(c) He believed she would not welcome him.
(d) He knew she was crazy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the wood for chairs usually gathered in the winter or fall?
2. Which of these is NOT used as an acceptable wood for making the chairs?
3. What were the earliest simple mattresses called?
4. What happened to the once plentiful Chestnut trees?
5. What would happen if the wood used in tight-fitting tools and other objects wasn't seasoned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skills and tools are told about for building a log cabin?
2. In the beginning of the chapter 'Hunting Tales' what do the beginning chapters explain?
3. What are the students responsible for doing for the magazine?
4. Explain the process of drying and why it was done.
5. What is the difference between the direction given by Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Philips' method for churning butter and that of Mrs. Norton's?
6. What does Harley Carpenter say about faith healing?
7. Describe the joint snake.
8. What are the uses for wood as it is described in the first chapter of the section titled "Wood?"
9. Describe the hoop snake.
10. What different processes are looked at in Preserving Vegetables?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)