|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is green wood put on after the fire has caught?
(a) It gives off more heat and lasts longer.
(b) It saves the seasoned wood.
(c) It was easier to find.
(d) It gives the food a better taste.
2. What does it suggest in the instructions that the foundation of the log cabin should be made out of?
(a) Large boulders placed at the four corners of the house and each 10 foot between.
(b) Solid rock spanning the length and width of the house.
(c) Cured white oat logs that have been scorched to prevent termite damage.
(d) An elevated dirt floor.
3. What does Bill Lamb say a out the first chimney he ever built?
(a) It lasted one winter and fell appart.
(b) A tornado took it a week after it was built.
(c) It'd smoke apossum out'a th' house.
(d) It took a year to build.
4. What were many of the tools made out of that the pioneers used?
(c) Blood, sweat, and tears.
5. What does Mrs. Watts say she and her brothers received one Christmas from Santa Clause?
(a) An apple and a bag of marbles.
(b) Three pieces of candy and an orange.
(c) Pig tails and a lump of coal.
(d) A candy bar and some new socks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a reason that someone might receive a blanket?
2. What does Pearl Martin say about the coloring of homemade soap?
3. What ailment does Aunt Arie have according to the author?
4. What was the Black Gum NOT used for?
5. How far does Mrs. Watts say they had to travel to see the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are a few of the tales that are told about Chimneys from those interviewed in 'Chimney Building?'
2. Describe what Emma Jean sees when she sits in on a quilting circle and what the women tell her about the quilting circles.
3. What is explained to the reader about picking the correct timber for making white oak splits?
4. How are Dutch Ovens used?
5. What kind of information is to go into the Foxfire magazine?
6. What are the uses for wood as it is described in the first chapter of the section titled "Wood?"
7. Describe what a 'rope bed' is.
8. In the chapter entitled "Aunt Arie", what does the author suggest might be the reasons for the void between youth and the older generations which the author felt?
9. What kind of questions do the girls ask Pearl Martin?
10. What does the last paragraph in the section titled 'Wood' say about wood and the mountain men?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)