|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the hogs eat that generally produce the sweetest meat?
2. Why is it typically unnecessary for farmers to hunt for food in the forest?
(a) They keep track of where the forst animals are and take them when asleep.
(b) It's a mystery.
(c) They keep enough of their own livestock.
(d) They can easily set out traps.
3. What does Lon Reid say that his family used the wings of the turkey for?
(b) To put on dresses.
4. What must you remove from the raccoon if you intend to eat it?
(b) Musk glands.
(d) His eyes.
5. What does the soaking do to the meat?
(a) Gives it a good flavor.
(b) Prepares it for the next step.
(c) Removes the excess blood.
(d) Gives you time to get your nerve up to eat it.
6. What does a hunter mean when he says 'I cut him down.'?
(a) That he cut the animal down after skinning it.
(b) That he cut down the tree.
(c) That he insulted the creature badly.
(d) That he opened fire.
7. Where are many of the mountain men descended from?
(d) Outcast Britains.
8. What type of milk should be used when churning butter?
(a) Fresh milk.
(b) Rich milk, mostly cream.
(c) Skim milk.
(d) Butter milk.
9. What is a painter as it is referred to by the mountain people interviewed?
(a) A person who paints houses.
(b) A creature of legend.
(c) A large mountain lion.
(d) A panther.
10. What do you cut out of the hog's head before making souse and is one of the only things on the hog's head not used in souse?
11. Who tells the story of 'The Buzzard and the Dog?'
(a) Tom Cruise.
(b) Pearl Martin.
(c) Bill Lamb.
(d) Mrs. Norton.
12. Which of the following is NOT a name for Souse?
(a) Souse meat.
(c) Hog eye.
(d) Pressed hog's head.
13. Where is the art of moonshining said to have begun?
(a) Revenue officers.
(b) Prohibition laws.
(c) The hatred of the Britons and their excise tax.
(d) No one is sure.
14. What does Scrapple taste like according to Mrs. Mann Norton?
15. What term do the mountain people use to describe houses, meadows or caves that they will refuse to enter?
(a) Snake like.
(b) Snake infested.
(d) Snake bitten.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grady Waldroop cut off of the turkey and leave for the old man along with a note?
2. What were the October Beans used as a substitute for?
3. What does the healer, Charley Tyler, say causes Thrush?
4. What do the squirrels do if it is going to be a bad winter?
5. What do the students write the 'Faith Healing ' chapter admit in reference to their own beliefs about faith healing?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)