|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the factors that slowed the production and appeal of moonshining?
(a) People realizes it was wrong to be drunk.
(b) Heavier law enforcement.
(c) Modern medicine.
(d) Stop of prohibition.
2. Which of these is NOT a way to keep your still hidden?
(a) Built a camaflogue building around it.
(b) Disguise it as a rock.
(c) Dig a ravine to put it in.
(d) Constantly move it.
3. How do you cure cramps in your feet?
(a) Put pine leaves in your shoes.
(b) Turn your shoes upside down before going to bed.
(c) Put a Bible at the foot of the bed.
(d) Walk barefoot on a wood fence.
4. What happens to the price of the pelt if you make a bad ear hole on a raccoon?
(a) Goes down fifty cents.
(b) Depends on the dealer.
(c) Goes down by half.
(d) Goes down a dollar.
5. What were the October Beans used as a substitute for?
(c) Black eyed peas.
(d) Soup beans.
6. Which of the following is NOT a name for Souse?
(a) Souse meat.
(c) Pressed hog's head.
(d) Hog eye.
7. What is it that whited the apples in the bleaching process?
8. What was a dog called whose job it was to keep the hogs and cows out of the corn?
(a) Plantation dog.
(b) Farm dog.
(d) Cattle dog.
9. What can you do with deer meat?
(a) Eat it raw.
(b) Put it in souse.
(c) Cure it.
(d) Smoke it.
10. How is Daniel Manous described in the first line of the chapter titled 'Daniel Manous?'
11. What do you do with the meat after it is off the bone?
(a) Lay it out to dry.
(b) Salt it.
(c) Run it through a food chopper.
(d) Put it in a dutch oven.
12. What does the syrup in Syrup Bread replace?
13. Which of following is NOT a remedy for arthritis.
(a) Whip your face with a rabbit's foot.
(b) Drink a honey, vinegar and moonshine mixutre.
(c) Use a magnet to draw it out of your body.
(d) Make tea from alfalfa seeds or leaves.
14. What does the healer, Charley Tyler, say causes Thrush?
(a) Letting the child be dirty too long.
(b) A cat in the house.
(c) Condemnation from God.
(d) Letting the child put somethin dirty in his mouth.
15. What is often mixed with hog brains when being cooked?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are many of the mountain men descended from?
2. What does Minyard Conner say the bear died of in her story?
3. What does Aunt Arie burn to keep snakes away?
4. What does the bull snake do that gave it its name?
5. Who tells the story of 'The Buzzard and the Dog?'
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)