|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are many of the mountain men descended from?
(a) Outcast Britains.
2. What can you do with deer meat?
(a) Put it in souse.
(b) Smoke it.
(c) Cure it.
(d) Eat it raw.
3. What does Mrs. Algie Norton say makes the best Hominy?
(a) No such thing as good hominy.
(b) Small grain white corn.
(c) Big grain white corn.
(d) Big grain yellow corn.
4. What is often mixed with hog brains when being cooked?
5. What kind of coals were used for bleaching according to Mrs. Carrie Dillard Garrison, because they held heat longer and stayed alive longer?
(a) White Oak.
6. What do the students say that stories about hunting inevitably turn to?
(a) Hunting tales.
(b) How their parents taught them to hunt.
(c) Tales about dogs.
7. What do the students write the 'Faith Healing ' chapter admit in reference to their own beliefs about faith healing?
(a) They are skeptical.
(b) They don't believe in it.
(c) They want badly for it too work.
(d) They have absolutely no opinion about it.
8. When does Daisy Justice say is the best time to pickle vegetables?
(a) In the spring.
(b) When the moon is full.
(c) When the moon is new.
(d) When you first hear the whipporwill.
9. What is a painter as it is referred to by the mountain people interviewed?
(a) A creature of legend.
(b) A panther.
(c) A large mountain lion.
(d) A person who paints houses.
10. What is it that whited the apples in the bleaching process?
11. What is the process of laying fruit out on trays in front of the fire called?
12. What kind of reading material does Daniel have with him?
(c) Hunting and trapping guides.
(d) Music books.
13. What was a dog called whose job it was to keep the hogs and cows out of the corn?
(b) Cattle dog.
(c) Farm dog.
(d) Plantation dog.
14. How do you cure cramps in your feet?
(a) Put a Bible at the foot of the bed.
(b) Walk barefoot on a wood fence.
(c) Turn your shoes upside down before going to bed.
(d) Put pine leaves in your shoes.
15. What did the students promise not to print in their interview?
(b) Still locations.
(d) Prison records.
Short Answer Questions
1. The number of days old the moon is at the first snow tells what?
2. What term do the mountain people use to describe houses, meadows or caves that they will refuse to enter?
3. Those who believe in the signs in part base their belief on what?
4. What type of milk should be used when churning butter?
5. What was the dog called that was trained to round up and bring in the livestock for butchering or for selling?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)