|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is said to have been the prime source of meat for the early family in the mountains?
2. What does the bull snake do that gave it its name?
(a) Grows horns.
(c) Blow like a bull when a bull gets mad.
(d) Rakes the ground with it's tail.
3. How long should the carcass of a possum be soaked before cooking to eat?
(a) At least overnight.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Doesn't have to be soaked.
(d) Forty-eight hours.
4. What does Scrapple taste like according to Mrs. Mann Norton?
5. Which of these is NOT a reason that some of the mountain people enjoy hunting?
(a) Thrill of the hunt.
(b) The boom of the gun.
(c) Change of meat.
(d) Money from the fur.
6. What can you do with deer meat?
(a) Put it in souse.
(b) Smoke it.
(c) Cure it.
(d) Eat it raw.
7. Where is the art of moonshining said to have begun?
(a) Revenue officers.
(b) No one is sure.
(c) The hatred of the Britons and their excise tax.
(d) Prohibition laws.
8. What does Lon Reid say that his family used the wings of the turkey for?
(b) To put on dresses.
9. What does Daniel live in?
(a) Abandoned bread truck.
(b) An old cargo van.
(c) An Indian tepee.
(d) A broke down school bus.
10. How does a coachwhip snake kill animals?
(a) Wraps around them and whips them so that they run to death.
(c) Causing madness.
(d) Wriggling into the ear canal.
11. What is 'side meat' made into?
(b) Pork chops.
12. Why is it typically unnecessary for farmers to hunt for food in the forest?
(a) They can easily set out traps.
(b) They keep enough of their own livestock.
(c) It's a mystery.
(d) They keep track of where the forst animals are and take them when asleep.
13. When was hog killing generally done?
(a) Whenever the hog got fat.
(b) Whenever the farmer got hungry.
(c) Late November.
14. What is the first recipe given in Mountain Recipes?
(a) Aunt Arie's Cornbread.
(b) Apple Dumplings.
(c) Brunswick Stew.
(d) Potato Bread.
15. What do you do with the meat after it is off the bone?
(a) Salt it.
(b) Run it through a food chopper.
(c) Lay it out to dry.
(d) Put it in a dutch oven.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grady Waldroop cut off of the turkey and leave for the old man along with a note?
2. What do the students write the 'Faith Healing ' chapter admit in reference to their own beliefs about faith healing?
3. What do the squirrels do if it is going to be a bad winter?
4. What does the soaking do to the meat?
5. What is the 'leaf lard?'
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)