|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the story of 'The Buzzard and the Dog?'
(a) Bill Lamb.
(b) Pearl Martin.
(c) Mrs. Norton.
(d) Tom Cruise.
2. What did a steady diet of acorns do to the meat of a hog?
(a) Made it bitter.
(b) Made it salty.
(c) No one ever paid any attention.
(d) Had no effect.
3. When does Daisy Justice say is the best time to pickle vegetables?
(a) In the spring.
(b) When the moon is full.
(c) When the moon is new.
(d) When you first hear the whipporwill.
4. What mixture was put on a broken arm?
(a) Spider web and dirt.
(b) Ashes and lye.
(c) Red clay.
(d) Salt water and baccon grease.
5. Which of following is NOT a remedy for arthritis.
(a) Whip your face with a rabbit's foot.
(b) Use a magnet to draw it out of your body.
(c) Drink a honey, vinegar and moonshine mixutre.
(d) Make tea from alfalfa seeds or leaves.
6. Which of the following was said to cure asthma?
(a) Suck salty water up your nose.
(b) Avoid any food that was picked or killed in a month with an R.
(c) Tie maple leaves in your hair and leave them.
(d) Sleep in the dog's bed.
7. What happens to the price of the pelt if you make a bad ear hole on a raccoon?
(a) Goes down by half.
(b) Depends on the dealer.
(c) Goes down a dollar.
(d) Goes down fifty cents.
8. Where are many of the mountain men descended from?
(a) Outcast Britains.
9. What does Aunt Nora Garland say she cannot heal?
(a) Draw out fire.
(d) Removing warts.
10. What kind of coals were used for bleaching according to Mrs. Carrie Dillard Garrison, because they held heat longer and stayed alive longer?
(d) White Oak.
11. What is 'side meat' made into?
(b) Pork chops.
12. What does Scrapple taste like according to Mrs. Mann Norton?
13. What does a hunter mean when he says 'I cut him down.'?
(a) That he insulted the creature badly.
(b) That he opened fire.
(c) That he cut down the tree.
(d) That he cut the animal down after skinning it.
14. Which of these is NOT a way to keep your still hidden?
(a) Built a camaflogue building around it.
(b) Constantly move it.
(c) Disguise it as a rock.
(d) Dig a ravine to put it in.
15. What was Daniel's job?
(a) To keep track of wild birds.
(b) Watch over the fish hatchery.
(c) To keep watch on timber fields.
(d) He was unemployed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the students write the 'Faith Healing ' chapter admit in reference to their own beliefs about faith healing?
2. What is the bag of fertilizer described as smelling like?
3. What does the sweet potato do to indicate a harsh winter?
4. What is the first recipe given in Mountain Recipes?
5. What does the soaking do to the meat?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)