|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term do the mountain people use to describe houses, meadows or caves that they will refuse to enter?
(a) Snake infested.
(b) Snake like.
(d) Snake bitten.
2. What does Mrs. Lake Stiles say to do with the rest of the frog after you have cut the legs off?
(a) Throw it away.
(b) Back it in a pie.
(c) Put it on to soak.
(d) Gut it.
3. What is the process of laying fruit out on trays in front of the fire called?
4. What happens to the price of the pelt if you make a bad ear hole on a raccoon?
(a) Goes down fifty cents.
(b) Goes down a dollar.
(c) Depends on the dealer.
(d) Goes down by half.
5. What should you remove when making Tomato Catsup?
(a) Any bad spots and the skins.
(b) Anything that doesn't look like catsup.
(c) Skin and seeds.
(d) Seeds and any dirt.
6. What is at the beginning of the chapter titled 'Planting by the Signs?'
(a) Bible scriptures.
(b) The reasons the students wrote this article.
(c) Days best for writing a magazine.
(d) Quotes from farmers.
7. What is a painter as it is referred to by the mountain people interviewed?
(a) A creature of legend.
(b) A person who paints houses.
(c) A panther.
(d) A large mountain lion.
8. What does Lon Reid say that his family used the wings of the turkey for?
(b) To put on dresses.
9. What can you do with deer meat?
(a) Cure it.
(b) Put it in souse.
(c) Eat it raw.
(d) Smoke it.
10. What must you remove from the raccoon if you intend to eat it?
(b) His eyes.
(d) Musk glands.
11. What does the bull snake do that gave it its name?
(a) Blow like a bull when a bull gets mad.
(c) Rakes the ground with it's tail.
(d) Grows horns.
12. What is often mixed with hog brains when being cooked?
13. What is 'side meat' made into?
(d) Pork chops.
14. What sometimes falls into the mash and drowns?
(b) Free range hogs.
15. What kind of coals were used for bleaching according to Mrs. Carrie Dillard Garrison, because they held heat longer and stayed alive longer?
(a) White Oak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the hogs eat that generally produce the sweetest meat?
2. What is Andy Webb's turkey call made out of?
3. How do you cure cramps in your feet?
4. What was Daniel's job?
5. How long should the carcass of a possum be soaked before cooking to eat?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)