|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the students promise not to print in their interview?
(a) Prison records.
(c) Still locations.
2. Why is it typically unnecessary for farmers to hunt for food in the forest?
(a) They keep track of where the forst animals are and take them when asleep.
(b) It's a mystery.
(c) They keep enough of their own livestock.
(d) They can easily set out traps.
3. What kind of reading material does Daniel have with him?
(b) Music books.
(d) Hunting and trapping guides.
4. What does Mrs. Algie Norton say makes the best Hominy?
(a) Big grain yellow corn.
(b) No such thing as good hominy.
(c) Big grain white corn.
(d) Small grain white corn.
5. What kind of coals were used for bleaching according to Mrs. Carrie Dillard Garrison, because they held heat longer and stayed alive longer?
(a) White Oak.
6. What is the 'leaf lard?'
(a) The fat on the backbone.
(b) The fat around the neck.
(c) The fat that held the intestines.
(d) The fat on the belly.
7. Where are many of the mountain men descended from?
(c) Outcast Britains.
8. Which of these wolly worm actions does NOT does not imply there is going to be a bad winter?
(a) Is harder to find.
(b) Has a heavy coat.
(c) Lots of them are seen.
(d) Is found crawling before the first frost.
9. What was Daniel's job?
(a) Watch over the fish hatchery.
(b) He was unemployed.
(c) To keep watch on timber fields.
(d) To keep track of wild birds.
10. What is the first recipe given in Mountain Recipes?
(a) Aunt Arie's Cornbread.
(b) Potato Bread.
(c) Apple Dumplings.
(d) Brunswick Stew.
11. What do the hogs eat that generally produce the sweetest meat?
12. What can you do with deer meat?
(a) Cure it.
(b) Smoke it.
(c) Put it in souse.
(d) Eat it raw.
13. What do the squirrels do if it is going to be a bad winter?
(a) Fight each other for food.
(b) Begin to get sick.
(c) Gather nuts early.
(d) Gather nuts late.
14. What must you remove from the raccoon if you intend to eat it?
(a) Musk glands.
(b) His eyes.
15. What does Mrs. Lake Stiles say to do with the rest of the frog after you have cut the legs off?
(a) Gut it.
(b) Back it in a pie.
(c) Throw it away.
(d) Put it on to soak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a painter as it is referred to by the mountain people interviewed?
2. What does the bull snake do that gave it its name?
3. What do the students write the 'Faith Healing ' chapter admit in reference to their own beliefs about faith healing?
4. What does a hunter mean when he says 'I cut him down.'?
5. What does Grady Waldroop cut off of the turkey and leave for the old man along with a note?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)