|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the 'leaf lard?'
(a) The fat on the backbone.
(b) The fat on the belly.
(c) The fat around the neck.
(d) The fat that held the intestines.
2. What did a steady diet of acorns do to the meat of a hog?
(a) Made it bitter.
(b) Made it salty.
(c) Had no effect.
(d) No one ever paid any attention.
3. What do you do with the meat after it is off the bone?
(a) Lay it out to dry.
(b) Salt it.
(c) Run it through a food chopper.
(d) Put it in a dutch oven.
4. What is it that whited the apples in the bleaching process?
5. What is one of the factors that slowed the production and appeal of moonshining?
(a) People realizes it was wrong to be drunk.
(b) Modern medicine.
(c) Stop of prohibition.
(d) Heavier law enforcement.
6. What does a hunter mean when he says 'I cut him down.'?
(a) That he opened fire.
(b) That he cut the animal down after skinning it.
(c) That he cut down the tree.
(d) That he insulted the creature badly.
7. Which of the following was said to cure asthma?
(a) Avoid any food that was picked or killed in a month with an R.
(b) Tie maple leaves in your hair and leave them.
(c) Sleep in the dog's bed.
(d) Suck salty water up your nose.
8. What were the October Beans used as a substitute for?
(b) Black eyed peas.
(c) Soup beans.
9. What is the process of laying fruit out on trays in front of the fire called?
10. Which of these is NOT a reason that some of the mountain people enjoy hunting?
(a) Change of meat.
(b) The boom of the gun.
(c) Money from the fur.
(d) Thrill of the hunt.
11. Those who believe in the signs in part base their belief on what?
(a) Radio programs.
12. What can you do with deer meat?
(a) Put it in souse.
(b) Smoke it.
(c) Eat it raw.
(d) Cure it.
13. Why is it typically unnecessary for farmers to hunt for food in the forest?
(a) It's a mystery.
(b) They can easily set out traps.
(c) They keep track of where the forst animals are and take them when asleep.
(d) They keep enough of their own livestock.
14. What does the bull snake do that gave it its name?
(a) Rakes the ground with it's tail.
(c) Blow like a bull when a bull gets mad.
(d) Grows horns.
15. What kind of coals were used for bleaching according to Mrs. Carrie Dillard Garrison, because they held heat longer and stayed alive longer?
(a) White Oak.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Daniel Manous described in the first line of the chapter titled 'Daniel Manous?'
2. When does Daisy Justice say is the best time to pickle vegetables?
3. How long should the carcass of a possum be soaked before cooking to eat?
4. What kind of dog was preferred for hunting rabbit?
5. What happens to the price of the pelt if you make a bad ear hole on a raccoon?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)