|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it typically unnecessary for farmers to hunt for food in the forest?
(a) They keep enough of their own livestock.
(b) They can easily set out traps.
(c) It's a mystery.
(d) They keep track of where the forst animals are and take them when asleep.
2. Which of these is NOT a reason that some of the mountain people enjoy hunting?
(a) Change of meat.
(b) Thrill of the hunt.
(c) Money from the fur.
(d) The boom of the gun.
3. What does Grady Waldroop cut off of the turkey and leave for the old man along with a note?
(a) A foot.
(b) A wing.
(c) A tail feather.
(d) The head.
4. A person that can heal a burn is said to do what?
(a) Draw out the devil.
(b) Replace the skin.
(c) Draw out the fire.
(d) A dance.
5. What is 'side meat' made into?
(a) Pork chops.
6. What does the soaking do to the meat?
(a) Gives you time to get your nerve up to eat it.
(b) Removes the excess blood.
(c) Prepares it for the next step.
(d) Gives it a good flavor.
7. What is the 'leaf lard?'
(a) The fat on the belly.
(b) The fat on the backbone.
(c) The fat that held the intestines.
(d) The fat around the neck.
8. What do you cut out of the hog's head before making souse and is one of the only things on the hog's head not used in souse?
9. What does Bill Lamb tell Buck Carver he is scared of?
(b) The dark.
10. What does the bull snake do that gave it its name?
(a) Rakes the ground with it's tail.
(b) Grows horns.
(d) Blow like a bull when a bull gets mad.
11. What does Aunt Nora Garland say she cannot heal?
(a) Draw out fire.
(c) Removing warts.
12. What does the syrup in Syrup Bread replace?
13. What does the sweet potato do to indicate a harsh winter?
(a) Grow a tougher skin.
(b) Produce very few.
(c) Produce more heavily.
(d) Put's on a winter coat.
14. What does Scrapple taste like according to Mrs. Mann Norton?
15. Which of the following was said to cure asthma?
(a) Suck salty water up your nose.
(b) Avoid any food that was picked or killed in a month with an R.
(c) Tie maple leaves in your hair and leave them.
(d) Sleep in the dog's bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a painter as it is referred to by the mountain people interviewed?
2. What is the bag of fertilizer described as smelling like?
3. The number of days old the moon is at the first snow tells what?
4. Where are many of the mountain men descended from?
5. Where is the art of moonshining said to have begun?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)