|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the factors that slowed the production and appeal of moonshining?
(a) Modern medicine.
(b) People realizes it was wrong to be drunk.
(c) Stop of prohibition.
(d) Heavier law enforcement.
2. What were the October Beans used as a substitute for?
(c) Black eyed peas.
(d) Soup beans.
3. What term do the mountain people use to describe houses, meadows or caves that they will refuse to enter?
(a) Snake infested.
(c) Snake like.
(d) Snake bitten.
4. Which of these wolly worm actions does NOT does not imply there is going to be a bad winter?
(a) Is harder to find.
(b) Lots of them are seen.
(c) Has a heavy coat.
(d) Is found crawling before the first frost.
5. What does Daniel live in?
(a) A broke down school bus.
(b) Abandoned bread truck.
(c) An old cargo van.
(d) An Indian tepee.
6. What does Grady Waldroop cut off of the turkey and leave for the old man along with a note?
(a) A wing.
(b) The head.
(c) A tail feather.
(d) A foot.
7. What is the 'leaf lard?'
(a) The fat on the backbone.
(b) The fat on the belly.
(c) The fat that held the intestines.
(d) The fat around the neck.
8. What was a dog called whose job it was to keep the hogs and cows out of the corn?
(b) Plantation dog.
(c) Farm dog.
(d) Cattle dog.
9. What is at the beginning of the chapter titled 'Planting by the Signs?'
(a) Bible scriptures.
(b) Days best for writing a magazine.
(c) Quotes from farmers.
(d) The reasons the students wrote this article.
10. What mixture was put on a broken arm?
(a) Red clay.
(b) Spider web and dirt.
(c) Ashes and lye.
(d) Salt water and baccon grease.
11. What does Scrapple taste like according to Mrs. Mann Norton?
12. What did a steady diet of acorns do to the meat of a hog?
(a) No one ever paid any attention.
(b) Made it salty.
(c) Had no effect.
(d) Made it bitter.
13. What farm animal is rumored to eat snakes?
14. What is it that whited the apples in the bleaching process?
15. How long should the carcass of a possum be soaked before cooking to eat?
(a) Doesn't have to be soaked.
(b) Forty-eight hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) At least overnight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT a reason that some of the mountain people enjoy hunting?
2. What do you do with the meat after it is off the bone?
3. What does Bill Lamb tell Buck Carver he is scared of?
4. How does a coachwhip snake kill animals?
5. What do the hogs eat that generally produce the sweetest meat?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)