|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Daisy Justice say is the best time to pickle vegetables?
(a) When the moon is new.
(b) In the spring.
(c) When the moon is full.
(d) When you first hear the whipporwill.
2. What is one of the factors that slowed the production and appeal of moonshining?
(a) Stop of prohibition.
(b) People realizes it was wrong to be drunk.
(c) Modern medicine.
(d) Heavier law enforcement.
3. What does a hunter mean when he says 'I cut him down.'?
(a) That he cut the animal down after skinning it.
(b) That he opened fire.
(c) That he cut down the tree.
(d) That he insulted the creature badly.
4. What is the bag of fertilizer described as smelling like?
(a) A crooked politician.
(c) Rotton hog meat.
(d) An outhouse.
5. What does the bull snake do that gave it its name?
(a) Blow like a bull when a bull gets mad.
(c) Grows horns.
(d) Rakes the ground with it's tail.
6. What should you remove when making Tomato Catsup?
(a) Anything that doesn't look like catsup.
(b) Any bad spots and the skins.
(c) Seeds and any dirt.
(d) Skin and seeds.
7. What is it that whited the apples in the bleaching process?
8. What do the squirrels do if it is going to be a bad winter?
(a) Gather nuts early.
(b) Gather nuts late.
(c) Begin to get sick.
(d) Fight each other for food.
9. What does Mrs. Algie Norton say makes the best Hominy?
(a) Big grain white corn.
(b) No such thing as good hominy.
(c) Small grain white corn.
(d) Big grain yellow corn.
10. What bit the preacher in Daniel's story?
11. Which of the following was said to cure asthma?
(a) Suck salty water up your nose.
(b) Sleep in the dog's bed.
(c) Avoid any food that was picked or killed in a month with an R.
(d) Tie maple leaves in your hair and leave them.
12. What does Lon Reid say that his family used the wings of the turkey for?
(c) To put on dresses.
13. Which of these wolly worm actions does NOT does not imply there is going to be a bad winter?
(a) Is harder to find.
(b) Has a heavy coat.
(c) Lots of them are seen.
(d) Is found crawling before the first frost.
14. What type of milk should be used when churning butter?
(a) Butter milk.
(b) Fresh milk.
(c) Skim milk.
(d) Rich milk, mostly cream.
15. Which of following is NOT a remedy for arthritis.
(a) Make tea from alfalfa seeds or leaves.
(b) Use a magnet to draw it out of your body.
(c) Whip your face with a rabbit's foot.
(d) Drink a honey, vinegar and moonshine mixutre.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it typically unnecessary for farmers to hunt for food in the forest?
2. What do the students say that stories about hunting inevitably turn to?
3. What do you cut out of the hog's head before making souse and is one of the only things on the hog's head not used in souse?
4. Where is the art of moonshining said to have begun?
5. What is the process of laying fruit out on trays in front of the fire called?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)