|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do most healers claim will happen if others hear them speak the words that God has given them to speak to heal someone?
(a) The healer will loose their power.
(b) God ignores the request to heal the person.
(c) The person listening will go deaf over a period of time.
(d) God will transfer the gift.
2. What does Lon Reid say that his family used the wings of the turkey for?
(a) To put on dresses.
3. What mixture was put on a broken arm?
(a) Ashes and lye.
(b) Salt water and baccon grease.
(c) Red clay.
(d) Spider web and dirt.
4. What is 'side meat' made into?
(a) Pork chops.
5. What do you do with the meat after it is off the bone?
(a) Put it in a dutch oven.
(b) Lay it out to dry.
(c) Run it through a food chopper.
(d) Salt it.
6. What does Minyard Conner say the bear died of in her story?
(a) Hung itself.
(b) Shot in the head.
(c) Must have been sick.
(d) Was scared to death.
7. Which of the following is NOT a name for Souse?
(b) Hog eye.
(c) Pressed hog's head.
(d) Souse meat.
8. What type of milk should be used when churning butter?
(a) Rich milk, mostly cream.
(b) Fresh milk.
(c) Skim milk.
(d) Butter milk.
9. What kind of coals were used for bleaching according to Mrs. Carrie Dillard Garrison, because they held heat longer and stayed alive longer?
(c) White Oak.
10. What were the October Beans used as a substitute for?
(a) Black eyed peas.
(d) Soup beans.
11. What is often mixed with hog brains when being cooked?
12. Why is it typically unnecessary for farmers to hunt for food in the forest?
(a) It's a mystery.
(b) They keep track of where the forst animals are and take them when asleep.
(c) They keep enough of their own livestock.
(d) They can easily set out traps.
13. What does a hunter mean when he says 'I cut him down.'?
(a) That he cut the animal down after skinning it.
(b) That he insulted the creature badly.
(c) That he opened fire.
(d) That he cut down the tree.
14. What does Mrs. Lake Stiles say to do with the rest of the frog after you have cut the legs off?
(a) Gut it.
(b) Back it in a pie.
(c) Put it on to soak.
(d) Throw it away.
15. How long should the carcass of a possum be soaked before cooking to eat?
(a) At least overnight.
(b) Forty-eight hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Doesn't have to be soaked.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dog was preferred for hunting rabbit?
2. Which of these childhood illnesses was looked at in terms of faith healing?
3. What can be used in place of a churn for quicker results?
4. When does Daisy Justice say is the best time to pickle vegetables?
5. What was the dog called that was trained to round up and bring in the livestock for butchering or for selling?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)