|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can you do with deer meat?
(a) Eat it raw.
(b) Smoke it.
(c) Put it in souse.
(d) Cure it.
2. What does Mrs. Algie Norton say makes the best Hominy?
(a) Big grain yellow corn.
(b) No such thing as good hominy.
(c) Small grain white corn.
(d) Big grain white corn.
3. What is the process of laying fruit out on trays in front of the fire called?
4. Which of these wolly worm actions does NOT does not imply there is going to be a bad winter?
(a) Is harder to find.
(b) Is found crawling before the first frost.
(c) Lots of them are seen.
(d) Has a heavy coat.
5. What do the students say that stories about hunting inevitably turn to?
(b) How their parents taught them to hunt.
(c) Tales about dogs.
(d) Hunting tales.
6. Where are many of the mountain men descended from?
(a) Outcast Britains.
7. What can be used in place of a churn for quicker results?
(a) A frying pan.
(b) A wash tub.
(c) A jar.
(d) A cake pan.
8. What does the sweet potato do to indicate a harsh winter?
(a) Put's on a winter coat.
(b) Produce very few.
(c) Grow a tougher skin.
(d) Produce more heavily.
9. What kind of dog was preferred for hunting rabbit?
10. What does Minyard Conner say the bear died of in her story?
(a) Was scared to death.
(b) Shot in the head.
(c) Must have been sick.
(d) Hung itself.
11. Which of the following is NOT a name for Souse?
(a) Souse meat.
(b) Pressed hog's head.
(d) Hog eye.
12. What is Andy Webb's turkey call made out of?
(a) White Oak.
(b) Piece of hollowed out wood.
(c) Cown horn.
(d) An old modified tin whistle.
13. How does a coachwhip snake kill animals?
(a) Causing madness.
(b) Wraps around them and whips them so that they run to death.
(c) Wriggling into the ear canal.
14. What is the liquid left in the churn after the butter has been made called?
(d) Skim milk.
15. What does the healer, Charley Tyler, say causes Thrush?
(a) A cat in the house.
(b) Letting the child be dirty too long.
(c) Letting the child put somethin dirty in his mouth.
(d) Condemnation from God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soaking do to the meat?
2. What did a steady diet of acorns do to the meat of a hog?
3. Those who believe in the signs in part base their belief on what?
4. What is the first recipe given in Mountain Recipes?
5. Which of these is NOT a way to keep your still hidden?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)