|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grady Waldroop cut off of the turkey and leave for the old man along with a note?
(a) A wing.
(b) The head.
(c) A foot.
(d) A tail feather.
2. What kind of dog was preferred for hunting rabbit?
3. What is 'side meat' made into?
(c) Pork chops.
4. What is said to have been the prime source of meat for the early family in the mountains?
5. What can you do with deer meat?
(a) Cure it.
(b) Smoke it.
(c) Eat it raw.
(d) Put it in souse.
6. What do the hogs eat that generally produce the sweetest meat?
7. What is the 'leaf lard?'
(a) The fat that held the intestines.
(b) The fat on the belly.
(c) The fat on the backbone.
(d) The fat around the neck.
8. What does Mrs. Lake Stiles say to do with the rest of the frog after you have cut the legs off?
(a) Gut it.
(b) Throw it away.
(c) Back it in a pie.
(d) Put it on to soak.
9. How is Daniel Manous described in the first line of the chapter titled 'Daniel Manous?'
10. What does Aunt Nora Garland say she cannot heal?
(c) Draw out fire.
(d) Removing warts.
11. Which of these is NOT a reason that some of the mountain people enjoy hunting?
(a) Money from the fur.
(b) Thrill of the hunt.
(c) Change of meat.
(d) The boom of the gun.
12. What does Minyard Conner say the bear died of in her story?
(a) Hung itself.
(b) Shot in the head.
(c) Was scared to death.
(d) Must have been sick.
13. Which of the following was said to cure asthma?
(a) Avoid any food that was picked or killed in a month with an R.
(b) Suck salty water up your nose.
(c) Tie maple leaves in your hair and leave them.
(d) Sleep in the dog's bed.
14. What bit the preacher in Daniel's story?
15. What were the October Beans used as a substitute for?
(b) Black eyed peas.
(c) Soup beans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT a way to keep your still hidden?
2. What kind of coals were used for bleaching according to Mrs. Carrie Dillard Garrison, because they held heat longer and stayed alive longer?
3. How do you cure cramps in your feet?
4. What sometimes falls into the mash and drowns?
5. What kind of reading material does Daniel have with him?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)