|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the factors that slowed the production and appeal of moonshining?
(a) People realizes it was wrong to be drunk.
(b) Heavier law enforcement.
(c) Stop of prohibition.
(d) Modern medicine.
2. What term do the mountain people use to describe houses, meadows or caves that they will refuse to enter?
(a) Snake like.
(c) Snake infested.
(d) Snake bitten.
3. What do the students say that stories about hunting inevitably turn to?
(a) Tales about dogs.
(c) Hunting tales.
(d) How their parents taught them to hunt.
4. What does Aunt Arie burn to keep snakes away?
(b) Fresh peach limbs.
(c) Snake skins.
(d) Old shoes.
5. When was hog killing generally done?
(b) Late November.
(c) Whenever the farmer got hungry.
(d) Whenever the hog got fat.
6. What is the first recipe given in Mountain Recipes?
(a) Aunt Arie's Cornbread.
(b) Potato Bread.
(c) Brunswick Stew.
(d) Apple Dumplings.
7. How do you cure cramps in your feet?
(a) Put a Bible at the foot of the bed.
(b) Turn your shoes upside down before going to bed.
(c) Put pine leaves in your shoes.
(d) Walk barefoot on a wood fence.
8. What were the October Beans used as a substitute for?
(b) Soup beans.
(d) Black eyed peas.
9. What does a hunter mean when he says 'I cut him down.'?
(a) That he cut the animal down after skinning it.
(b) That he insulted the creature badly.
(c) That he opened fire.
(d) That he cut down the tree.
10. What did a steady diet of acorns do to the meat of a hog?
(a) Made it salty.
(b) Had no effect.
(c) Made it bitter.
(d) No one ever paid any attention.
11. Which of these is NOT a way to keep your still hidden?
(a) Constantly move it.
(b) Disguise it as a rock.
(c) Built a camaflogue building around it.
(d) Dig a ravine to put it in.
12. What does Daniel live in?
(a) Abandoned bread truck.
(b) A broke down school bus.
(c) An Indian tepee.
(d) An old cargo van.
13. What bit the preacher in Daniel's story?
14. Who tells the story of 'The Buzzard and the Dog?'
(a) Tom Cruise.
(b) Mrs. Norton.
(c) Bill Lamb.
(d) Pearl Martin.
15. What should you remove when making Tomato Catsup?
(a) Seeds and any dirt.
(b) Any bad spots and the skins.
(c) Skin and seeds.
(d) Anything that doesn't look like catsup.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the price of the pelt if you make a bad ear hole on a raccoon?
2. What sometimes falls into the mash and drowns?
3. What type of milk should be used when churning butter?
4. What does the soaking do to the meat?
5. Which of following is NOT a remedy for arthritis.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)