|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Sleepers?
(b) Floor beams of the cabin.
(c) Tools that are used to create notches.
2. What does it suggest in the instructions that the foundation of the log cabin should be made out of?
(a) An elevated dirt floor.
(b) Cured white oat logs that have been scorched to prevent termite damage.
(c) Large boulders placed at the four corners of the house and each 10 foot between.
(d) Solid rock spanning the length and width of the house.
3. Why does the author, Paul Gillespie, say he is apprehensive about meeting Aunt Arie for the first time?
(a) He knew she was crazy.
(b) He had heard she was very ill.
(c) He didn't know what to expect.
(d) He believed she would not welcome him.
4. What does Mrs. Watts say her brothers used pine to build?
(c) Bows and Arrows.
5. What did Dan's father say to do if the limbs on the white oak droop?
(a) Avoid all trees within a twenty foot spread of that one.
(b) Let the tree stand.
(c) Take that tree.
(d) Cut off the limbs and let it be for a week.
6. Why does Aunt Arie explain that she doesn't want to cut the eye if she can help it?
(a) Black stuff will run out onto everything.
(b) It is sticky.
(c) It will give the souse meat a rancid flavor.
(d) It's bad luck.
7. How long does it take to produce coals?
(a) An hour.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) You have to check the fire periodically.
(d) Three hours.
8. Why is green wood put on after the fire has caught?
(a) It gives the food a better taste.
(b) It was easier to find.
(c) It gives off more heat and lasts longer.
(d) It saves the seasoned wood.
9. What tool is needed for drilling holes?
(c) Drawing knife.
10. What do the students call the Dutch Oven?
(a) One of the most useful cooking utensils.
(b) A bread pan.
(c) A timeless invention.
(d) Cake slab.
11. At the end of the interview what does the student say men like Lon live oblivious to?
(a) That the world has changed so much in the past 100 years.
(b) That there are skyscrapers covering the world.
(c) That there is anything unique about Lon's life.
(d) That men are on the moon.
12. What are Aunt Arie's stories said to be "spiced" with?
(a) Local gossip.
(b) Quaint Euphemisms.
13. What does Aunt Arie say she would put in if she had plenty of money?
(a) A new roof.
(b) A sink.
(c) A new hog pen.
(d) A toilet.
14. Why does Aunt Arie say she never left her home?
(a) She was too scared.
(b) She felt as if someone was coming.
(c) She couldn't stand to leave her home.
(d) This is where her stuff was.
15. What does Mrs. Watts say her dolls were made from?
(b) Animal Bones.
(c) Animal Hide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the students say that quilting patterns are like?
2. What are the students responsible for getting when Foxfire is first started?
3. What do the students say is one reason why they have asked Beulah to help them make a basket?
4. What kind of ashes does Pearl Martin say they typically used?
5. What does Mrs. Watts say she and her brothers received one Christmas from Santa Clause?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)