|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Aunt Arie say she never left her home?
(a) She was too scared.
(b) This is where her stuff was.
(c) She felt as if someone was coming.
(d) She couldn't stand to leave her home.
2. In what area do the people interviewed for Foxfire live?
(a) Mississippi River.
(b) Ozark Mountains.
(c) Kentucky Plains.
(d) Appalachian Mountains.
3. What kind of meat does Aunt Arie say she doesn't want?
4. Why does the author, Paul Gillespie, say he is apprehensive about meeting Aunt Arie for the first time?
(a) He didn't know what to expect.
(b) He believed she would not welcome him.
(c) He had heard she was very ill.
(d) He knew she was crazy.
5. What has caused the loss of the fine art of building a genuine log cabin?
(a) Desire for unique looking houses.
(b) European influence.
(c) Trend toward an easier life.
(d) Lack of trees.
6. Which of these is NOT used as an acceptable wood for making the chairs?
7. What do the students ask about making homemade soap that makes Pearl Martin laugh?
(a) They ask what colors she can make.
(b) They ask if it is better than dial soap.
(c) They ask where she got her recipe.
(d) They ask about putting perfume in it.
8. What two things were said to have been brought to the forests our ancestors settled in the chapter titled "Tools and Skills?"
(a) Tools and faith.
(b) Love and hope.
(c) Knowledge and determination.
(d) Tools and igenuity.
9. What does Mrs. Watts say her dolls were made from?
(a) Animal Hide.
(d) Animal Bones.
10. Which of the following is NOT a reason that someone might receive a blanket?
(a) A baby was born.
(b) They were moving away.
(c) Someone's house burned down.
(d) A couple were married.
11. What does Wigginton say is NOT a primary concern in the magazine?
(b) Historical Facts.
(c) Proper English.
12. What was "This is the Way I was Raised Up" written on?
(a) Cardboard Box.
(b) Back of the People Magazine.
(c) Small piece of paper.
13. What kind of grease does Pearl Martin say she usually likes to use in her soap, although you can use most any kind?
(a) Hog grease.
(b) Mutton tallow.
(c) Whatever she has on hand.
(d) Chicken grease.
14. What is the last thing that Mrs. Watts describes in her essay?
(a) The first car her family ever saw.
(b) When her parents died.
(c) When her brother's got married.
(d) The first time she left her home to go to the city.
15. What does Pearl Martin say about the coloring of homemade soap?
(a) It never came out looking the same twice.
(b) It depends on the ingredients used.
(c) It is always a darker color.
(d) It is almost clear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the once plentiful Chestnut trees?
2. What does Mrs. Watts say was their reaction to the gifts that Santa Clause had left them?
3. What does Mrs. Watts say she and her brothers received one Christmas from Santa Clause?
4. What do the Friendship Quilts typically have stitched on them?
5. What would happen if the wood used in tight-fitting tools and other objects wasn't seasoned?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)