|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wigginton suggest could be an answer to student failure?
(a) Pride in Thier Community.
(b) Parent Involvement.
(c) Inventive Teaching.
(d) A Hobby
2. Where is Aunt Arie's husband at the time the story is written?
(a) Off working.
(b) Sick in bed.
(c) No one is sure.
3. What has caused the loss of the fine art of building a genuine log cabin?
(a) Lack of trees.
(b) European influence.
(c) Trend toward an easier life.
(d) Desire for unique looking houses.
4. What had the Foxfire magazine's purpose started out being when they looked into writing about quilts?
(a) To find all patterns native to the area.
(b) To look at modern day applications for the ageless process.
(c) To teach individuals the basics for making a quilt.
(d) To learn about the history of quilting.
5. What might happen if there wasn't a proper footing on the chimney?
(a) It might tilt away from the house or collapse.
(b) Animals would burrow under it.
(c) It wouldn't draw properly.
(d) It could catch on fire.
6. How long does it take the first printing of Foxfire to sell out?
(a) One Week.
(b) One Month.
(c) They never sell out.
(d) Six Months.
7. Which of the following is NOT a reason that someone might receive a blanket?
(a) A couple were married.
(b) They were moving away.
(c) A baby was born.
(d) Someone's house burned down.
8. What did Dan's father say to do if the limbs on the white oak droop?
(a) Take that tree.
(b) Cut off the limbs and let it be for a week.
(c) Let the tree stand.
(d) Avoid all trees within a twenty foot spread of that one.
9. What did the sign read when the students reached Lon Reid's property?
(a) No trespassing.
(b) Beware of Dogs.
(c) Beware of Bees.
(d) No revenuers.
10. What are the students responsible for getting when Foxfire is first started?
11. What is crucial when making splits?
(a) Making clean cuts.
(b) Making the splits long enough.
(c) Picking the correct timber.
(d) Making each split even.
12. What are the Sleepers?
(c) Tools that are used to create notches.
(d) Floor beams of the cabin.
13. What does Wigginton say is NOT a primary concern in the magazine?
(c) Historical Facts.
(d) Proper English.
14. Why does the author, Paul Gillespie, say he is apprehensive about meeting Aunt Arie for the first time?
(a) He knew she was crazy.
(b) He had heard she was very ill.
(c) He believed she would not welcome him.
(d) He didn't know what to expect.
15. What do the students ask about making homemade soap that makes Pearl Martin laugh?
(a) They ask about putting perfume in it.
(b) They ask what colors she can make.
(c) They ask if it is better than dial soap.
(d) They ask where she got her recipe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were many of the tools made out of that the pioneers used?
2. Which of these methods was not a way to cure wood?
3. Why is the wood for chairs usually gathered in the winter or fall?
4. What kind of vehicle drives past Mrs. Watts and her family?
5. What is the fireplace once said to have been?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)