|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were things fried?
(a) The pan was put into the middle of the fire.
(b) The pan was suspended on a metal frame 3-5 inches above.
(c) Depended on the meat.
(d) Hot coals were raked onto the hearth and the pan put on it.
2. What does Aunt Arie say she would put in if she had plenty of money?
(a) A new roof.
(b) A sink.
(c) A new hog pen.
(d) A toilet.
3. In what area do the people interviewed for Foxfire live?
(a) Appalachian Mountains.
(b) Kentucky Plains.
(c) Mississippi River.
(d) Ozark Mountains.
4. What were many of the tools made out of that the pioneers used?
(d) Blood, sweat, and tears.
5. What has caused the loss of the fine art of building a genuine log cabin?
(a) Desire for unique looking houses.
(b) Lack of trees.
(c) European influence.
(d) Trend toward an easier life.
6. What does Mrs. Harriet Echols say that she used to put in her soap to thicken up the soap?
(c) Pieces of rope.
(d) Soft corn shucks.
7. Aunt Arie tells the students not to do anything that they wouldn't want WHO to know?
(a) Yarn Pastor.
(d) Mommy and Poppy.
8. What kind of meat does Aunt Arie say she doesn't want?
9. How long does it take to produce coals?
(a) An hour.
(b) You have to check the fire periodically.
(c) Twenty minutes.
(d) Three hours.
10. What are Aunt Arie's stories said to be "spiced" with?
(a) Local gossip.
(b) Quaint Euphemisms.
11. What is NOT needed for hewing?
(c) Pole axe.
(d) Foot adze.
12. What are the students responsible for getting when Foxfire is first started?
13. What was said would happen to a young girl that slept under a new quilt?
(a) She would soon find a large sum of money.
(b) She would dream of the one she would marry.
(c) She would be in good health for the next six months.
(d) She would marry within a year.
14. What kind of ashes does Pearl Martin say they typically used?
(c) White Oak.
15. What does Pearl Martin say about the coloring of homemade soap?
(a) It never came out looking the same twice.
(b) It is almost clear.
(c) It is always a darker color.
(d) It depends on the ingredients used.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wigginton suggest could be an answer to student failure?
2. Why does the author, Paul Gillespie, say he is apprehensive about meeting Aunt Arie for the first time?
3. How far does Mrs. Watts say they had to travel to see the car?
4. What was NOT added to the clay to help the chinking in the chimney set up more quickly?
5. What would happen if the wood used in tight-fitting tools and other objects wasn't seasoned?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)