|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is said to be just as important as the tools?
(a) The ability to pass this information down to future generations.
(b) Hope and Love.
(c) The knowledge to use them.
(d) Food and shelter.
2. What does Mrs. Harriet Echols say was done to clean a rope bed?
(a) They never needed cleaning.
(b) The rope was boiled every spring.
(c) There was new material laid over the rope frame when needed.
(d) The rope was replaced every two to five years.
3. What year was Foxfire established?
4. What does Pearl Martin say about the coloring of homemade soap?
(a) It is always a darker color.
(b) It never came out looking the same twice.
(c) It is almost clear.
(d) It depends on the ingredients used.
5. What would happen if the wood used in tight-fitting tools and other objects wasn't seasoned?
(a) The wood would draw insects to the fresh sap.
(b) The wood would begin to rot.
(c) The wood would warp and bend as it dried.
(d) The wood would shrink and pull away as it dried.
6. Why is green wood put on after the fire has caught?
(a) It gives off more heat and lasts longer.
(b) It gives the food a better taste.
(c) It saves the seasoned wood.
(d) It was easier to find.
7. Which of these methods was not a way to cure wood?
(a) Use Dry Kiln.
(b) Stack the Lumber Crosswise.
(c) Salt the Ends.
8. What often attacked fresh chinking in chimneys?
9. Where is Aunt Arie's husband at the time the story is written?
(a) Sick in bed.
(c) Off working.
(d) No one is sure.
10. Why is it suggested that the foundation be at least 18" high?
(a) To be well above the water satuation point.
(b) No one is sure.
(c) Termites won't go any higher than 18"
(d) To prevent small animals from entering the house.
11. What was Eliot Wigginton's job at the time that he helped to start Foxfire?
(b) Carnival Worker.
(c) High School Teacher.
12. When does Mrs. Lester Norton say that they changed the straw in her straw mattress?
(a) Whenever it got flat.
(b) Right before flu season hits.
(c) Whenever a new one is needed.
(d) Thrashing time each year.
13. What kind of ashes does Pearl Martin say they typically used?
(a) White Oak.
14. How many copies of Foxfire are printed the very first time it is printed?
(a) Two Hundred.
(b) Six Hundred.
(c) A Thousand.
(d) They Lost Count.
15. Which of these is NOT used as an acceptable wood for making the chairs?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Arie say she will do with the eyes?
2. What does Bill Lamb say a out the first chimney he ever built?
3. When does Mrs. Algie Norton say she saw her first real mattress?
4. How were things fried?
5. What is Lon Reid said to still have?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)