|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these methods was not a way to cure wood?
(a) Use Dry Kiln.
(b) Stack the Lumber Crosswise.
(d) Salt the Ends.
2. How long do the students say it took them to gather information about building the log cabin?
(a) Six months.
(b) A full year.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) An entire summer.
3. What does Aunt Arie ask the students to do when they walk into her house for the first time?
(a) Remove the eyes from a hog's head.
(b) Build a fire.
(c) Gut a chicken.
(d) Kill a snake.
4. Who are the students NOT told to interview for Foxfire?
(b) Parents .
(d) Area Residents.
5. What does Aunt Arie say she would put in if she had plenty of money?
(a) A toilet.
(b) A new hog pen.
(c) A sink.
(d) A new roof.
6. What is crucial when making splits?
(a) Picking the correct timber.
(b) Making clean cuts.
(c) Making each split even.
(d) Making the splits long enough.
7. What might happen if there wasn't a proper footing on the chimney?
(a) It might tilt away from the house or collapse.
(b) Animals would burrow under it.
(c) It could catch on fire.
(d) It wouldn't draw properly.
8. What does Aunt Arie say she is going to make?
(a) Souse Meat.
9. What do the students call the Dutch Oven?
(a) A timeless invention.
(b) One of the most useful cooking utensils.
(c) A bread pan.
(d) Cake slab.
10. What year was Foxfire established?
11. At the end of the interview what does the student say men like Lon live oblivious to?
(a) That there is anything unique about Lon's life.
(b) That the world has changed so much in the past 100 years.
(c) That men are on the moon.
(d) That there are skyscrapers covering the world.
12. What was said would happen to a young girl that slept under a new quilt?
(a) She would soon find a large sum of money.
(b) She would be in good health for the next six months.
(c) She would marry within a year.
(d) She would dream of the one she would marry.
13. Why is it suggested that the foundation be at least 18" high?
(a) No one is sure.
(b) To be well above the water satuation point.
(c) To prevent small animals from entering the house.
(d) Termites won't go any higher than 18"
14. How does Wigginton explain that the information in this book was originally given to the people that were interviewed?
(a) People just seemed to know it.
(b) Passed generation to generation.
(c) Sang about in songs.
(d) Written down in family Bibles.
15. What is done to the Dutch Oven before cooking with it?
(b) Dry scrubbed.
(d) Greased heavily.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the first printing of Foxfire to sell out?
2. What had the Foxfire magazine's purpose started out being when they looked into writing about quilts?
3. When does Mrs. Lester Norton say that they changed the straw in her straw mattress?
4. What is the last thing that Mrs. Watts describes in her essay?
5. What do the students say is one reason why they have asked Beulah to help them make a basket?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)