|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the students say that quilting patterns are like?
(c) Folk lore and legends.
(d) Family stories.
2. What does Mrs. Pearl Martin say she does to clean her straw bed?
(a) She takes the straw out and suns it then puts it back in.
(b) She hangs it up and gives it a thrashing.
(c) She puts new straw in it once a year.
(d) She takes a wet cloth and wets it down.
3. Who are the students NOT told to interview for Foxfire?
(a) Area Residents.
(c) Parents .
4. What was used for bread when cornmeal and wheat could not be ground?
5. What does Wigginton say is NOT a primary concern in the magazine?
(b) Proper English.
(d) Historical Facts.
6. How long does it take the first printing of Foxfire to sell out?
(a) One Month.
(b) One Week.
(c) Six Months.
(d) They never sell out.
7. What did a chimney have to do so that it didn't smoke?
(a) Face southeast.
(b) Have a hole under it to let the ashes fall out.
(d) Go straight up.
8. Where did Lon learn to make chairs?
(a) He learned on his own.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His father.
9. What happened to the once plentiful Chestnut trees?
(b) Global warming.
(c) Cut down by farmers.
10. Hickory was a very desirable wood but what was a drawback of this wood?
(a) It was hard to work.
(b) It would bow badly in humid weather.
(c) It attracked termites.
(d) It splintered out easily.
11. Which of these is NOT used as an acceptable wood for making the chairs?
12. What was said would happen to a young girl that slept under a new quilt?
(a) She would be in good health for the next six months.
(b) She would soon find a large sum of money.
(c) She would marry within a year.
(d) She would dream of the one she would marry.
13. What do the Friendship Quilts typically have stitched on them?
(a) The names of those quilting.
(b) A verse from the Bible.
(c) A name for the person whom the quilt would be given.
(d) The date the quilt was created.
14. How many copies of Foxfire are printed the very first time it is printed?
(a) A Thousand.
(b) Six Hundred.
(c) They Lost Count.
(d) Two Hundred.
15. What did the Editor do so that the contents were not altered for the story?
(a) Had Mrs. Watts proof read it.
(b) Had the English teacher go over it.
(c) Provided many pictures and details for the article.
(d) Published it just as Mrs. Watts wrote it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the term 'Dressing' refer to?
2. What are the Sleepers?
3. What does Mrs. Watts say was their reaction to the gifts that Santa Clause had left them?
4. What does Mrs. Watts say her brothers used pine to build?
5. What has caused the loss of the fine art of building a genuine log cabin?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)