|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Harriet Echols say was done to clean a rope bed?
(a) There was new material laid over the rope frame when needed.
(b) They never needed cleaning.
(c) The rope was replaced every two to five years.
(d) The rope was boiled every spring.
2. What are the students responsible for getting when Foxfire is first started?
3. In the beginning of 'Wood,' what does the author say is the most vital factor in determining the way of life of a self-sufficient people in a particular area?
(a) Natural resources.
4. What was made from the white oak splits that were made during the article 'White Oak Splits?'
(a) A large chair.
(b) A jug.
(c) Two baskets.
(d) A guitar.
5. What is said to be just as important as the tools?
(a) Hope and Love.
(b) Food and shelter.
(c) The knowledge to use them.
(d) The ability to pass this information down to future generations.
6. What is NOT included in the article 'Rope, Straw, and Feathers are to Sleep on?'
(c) Places to buy your own hand crafted feather bed.
7. What does Wigginton say is NOT a primary concern in the magazine?
(c) Historical Facts.
(d) Proper English.
8. Which of these is NOT used as an acceptable wood for making the chairs?
9. Why does Aunt Arie explain that she doesn't want to cut the eye if she can help it?
(a) It's bad luck.
(b) It is sticky.
(c) It will give the souse meat a rancid flavor.
(d) Black stuff will run out onto everything.
10. What does Mrs. Pearl Martin say she does to clean her straw bed?
(a) She takes the straw out and suns it then puts it back in.
(b) She hangs it up and gives it a thrashing.
(c) She puts new straw in it once a year.
(d) She takes a wet cloth and wets it down.
11. How long does it take to produce coals?
(a) Twenty minutes.
(b) You have to check the fire periodically.
(c) An hour.
(d) Three hours.
12. What does Mrs. Claude Darnell suggest might be the reason that there has been a revival in an interest in quilting?
(a) Because they have fond memories of their grandparents quilting.
(b) It is a novelty.
(c) Because people want to get back to the good old days.
(d) Because it is a part of their heritage.
13. What does Wigginton suggest could be an answer to student failure?
(a) A Hobby
(b) Inventive Teaching.
(c) Pride in Thier Community.
(d) Parent Involvement.
14. What kind of ashes does Pearl Martin say they typically used?
(d) White Oak.
15. What does Aunt Arie ask the students to do when they walk into her house for the first time?
(a) Gut a chicken.
(b) Kill a snake.
(c) Remove the eyes from a hog's head.
(d) Build a fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these methods was not a way to cure wood?
2. What do the students ask about making homemade soap that makes Pearl Martin laugh?
3. What do the Friendship Quilts typically have stitched on them?
4. What often attacked fresh chinking in chimneys?
5. How does Wigginton explain that the information in this book was originally given to the people that were interviewed?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)