|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Sleepers?
(a) Floor beams of the cabin.
(d) Tools that are used to create notches.
2. Which of these methods was not a way to cure wood?
(a) Use Dry Kiln.
(b) Stack the Lumber Crosswise.
(c) Salt the Ends.
3. When does Mrs. Carrie Dillard Garrison say that that she used to make her soap?
(a) In the spring time.
(b) Whenever they had enough ashes.
(c) When she had enough lard.
(d) Whenever she got dirty enough.
4. What does Wigginton say is NOT a primary concern in the magazine?
(a) Proper English.
(c) Historical Facts.
5. What year was Foxfire established?
6. What has caused the loss of the fine art of building a genuine log cabin?
(a) Lack of trees.
(b) European influence.
(c) Trend toward an easier life.
(d) Desire for unique looking houses.
7. What does Mrs. Pearl Martin say she does to clean her straw bed?
(a) She takes the straw out and suns it then puts it back in.
(b) She hangs it up and gives it a thrashing.
(c) She takes a wet cloth and wets it down.
(d) She puts new straw in it once a year.
8. What two things are white oak splits traditionally used for?
(a) Bottoming chairs and animal pens.
(b) Bottoming chairs and baskets.
(c) Furniture and laundry baskets.
(d) Making guitars and banjos.
9. What did Mrs. Watts' family use to make coffee?
10. What did Dan's father say to do if the limbs on the white oak droop?
(a) Let the tree stand.
(b) Cut off the limbs and let it be for a week.
(c) Avoid all trees within a twenty foot spread of that one.
(d) Take that tree.
11. In the beginning of 'Wood,' what does the author say is the most vital factor in determining the way of life of a self-sufficient people in a particular area?
(b) Natural resources.
12. How many copies of Foxfire are printed the very first time it is printed?
(a) They Lost Count.
(b) A Thousand.
(c) Two Hundred.
(d) Six Hundred.
13. What did a chimney have to do so that it didn't smoke?
(a) Have a hole under it to let the ashes fall out.
(b) Face southeast.
(d) Go straight up.
14. What is the last thing that Mrs. Watts describes in her essay?
(a) The first time she left her home to go to the city.
(b) When her brother's got married.
(c) When her parents died.
(d) The first car her family ever saw.
15. Which of the following is NOT a reason that someone might receive a blanket?
(a) Someone's house burned down.
(b) A baby was born.
(c) They were moving away.
(d) A couple were married.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aunt Arie tells the students not to do anything that they wouldn't want WHO to know?
2. How were things fried?
3. Why is the wood for chairs usually gathered in the winter or fall?
4. What does Mrs. Harriet Echols say was done to clean a rope bed?
5. What kind of grease does Pearl Martin say she usually likes to use in her soap, although you can use most any kind?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)