|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Pearl Martin say she does to clean her straw bed?
(a) She hangs it up and gives it a thrashing.
(b) She takes the straw out and suns it then puts it back in.
(c) She takes a wet cloth and wets it down.
(d) She puts new straw in it once a year.
2. What does Aunt Arie say she will do with the eyes?
(a) Grind them up in the sausage.
(b) Use them to make jelly.
(c) Throw them away.
(d) Put them in a soup.
3. How far does Mrs. Watts say they had to travel to see the car?
(a) One Mile.
(b) Five Miles.
(c) Over the Mountain a far piece.
(d) She was too little to recal how far.
4. What does Mrs. Harriet Echols say was done to clean a rope bed?
(a) The rope was replaced every two to five years.
(b) They never needed cleaning.
(c) There was new material laid over the rope frame when needed.
(d) The rope was boiled every spring.
5. What would happen if the wood used in tight-fitting tools and other objects wasn't seasoned?
(a) The wood would begin to rot.
(b) The wood would shrink and pull away as it dried.
(c) The wood would warp and bend as it dried.
(d) The wood would draw insects to the fresh sap.
6. What does Aunt Arie ask the students to do when they walk into her house for the first time?
(a) Build a fire.
(b) Remove the eyes from a hog's head.
(c) Gut a chicken.
(d) Kill a snake.
7. What kind of vehicle drives past Mrs. Watts and her family?
(a) An Old Jalopy.
(b) A Large Pickup.
(c) T-Model Ford.
(d) An Army Vehicle.
8. What kind of ashes does Pearl Martin say they typically used?
(b) White Oak.
9. What do the Friendship Quilts typically have stitched on them?
(a) The date the quilt was created.
(b) A name for the person whom the quilt would be given.
(c) A verse from the Bible.
(d) The names of those quilting.
10. What did the sign read when the students reached Lon Reid's property?
(a) No revenuers.
(b) Beware of Dogs.
(c) No trespassing.
(d) Beware of Bees.
11. What was made from the white oak splits that were made during the article 'White Oak Splits?'
(a) A guitar.
(b) Two baskets.
(c) A jug.
(d) A large chair.
12. How long do the students say it took them to gather information about building the log cabin?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) An entire summer.
(c) A full year.
(d) Six months.
13. Why does Aunt Arie say she never left her home?
(a) She felt as if someone was coming.
(b) This is where her stuff was.
(c) She was too scared.
(d) She couldn't stand to leave her home.
14. What does Bill Lamb say a out the first chimney he ever built?
(a) It took a year to build.
(b) It lasted one winter and fell appart.
(c) A tornado took it a week after it was built.
(d) It'd smoke apossum out'a th' house.
15. Why does Beulah say that she has had a possum head cooked for her in her past?
(a) Because they were hungry.
(b) As a reward for good behavior.
(c) Her father didn't believe in killing something for no reason.
(d) They wondered what it tasted like.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the students responsible for getting when Foxfire is first started?
2. How long does it take the first printing of Foxfire to sell out?
3. Who are the students NOT told to interview for Foxfire?
4. At the end of the interview what does the student say men like Lon live oblivious to?
5. What were many of the tools made out of that the pioneers used?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)