|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Editor do so that the contents were not altered for the story?
(a) Published it just as Mrs. Watts wrote it.
(b) Provided many pictures and details for the article.
(c) Had Mrs. Watts proof read it.
(d) Had the English teacher go over it.
2. What tool is needed for drilling holes?
(b) Drawing knife.
3. What is done to the Dutch Oven before cooking with it?
(a) Dry scrubbed.
(b) Greased heavily.
4. What kind of ashes does Pearl Martin say they typically used?
(c) White Oak.
5. What two things are white oak splits traditionally used for?
(a) Bottoming chairs and baskets.
(b) Bottoming chairs and animal pens.
(c) Furniture and laundry baskets.
(d) Making guitars and banjos.
6. At the end of the interview what does the student say men like Lon live oblivious to?
(a) That the world has changed so much in the past 100 years.
(b) That there is anything unique about Lon's life.
(c) That there are skyscrapers covering the world.
(d) That men are on the moon.
7. Why is green wood put on after the fire has caught?
(a) It gives the food a better taste.
(b) It saves the seasoned wood.
(c) It gives off more heat and lasts longer.
(d) It was easier to find.
8. What is NOT needed for hewing?
(a) Pole axe.
(c) Foot adze.
9. How long do the students say it took them to gather information about building the log cabin?
(a) A full year.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) An entire summer.
10. What does Mrs. Watts say her brothers used pine to build?
(a) Bows and Arrows.
11. What did a chimney have to do so that it didn't smoke?
(a) Go straight up.
(c) Have a hole under it to let the ashes fall out.
(d) Face southeast.
12. What are Aunt Arie's stories said to be "spiced" with?
(a) Quaint Euphemisms.
(b) Local gossip.
13. What was said would happen to a young girl that slept under a new quilt?
(a) She would marry within a year.
(b) She would dream of the one she would marry.
(c) She would soon find a large sum of money.
(d) She would be in good health for the next six months.
14. What were many of the tools made out of that the pioneers used?
(b) Blood, sweat, and tears.
15. What do the students say that quilting patterns are like?
(b) Family stories.
(c) Folk lore and legends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of grease does Pearl Martin say she usually likes to use in her soap, although you can use most any kind?
2. What would happen if the wood used in tight-fitting tools and other objects wasn't seasoned?
3. What had the Foxfire magazine's purpose started out being when they looked into writing about quilts?
4. What were the earliest simple mattresses called?
5. What might happen if there wasn't a proper footing on the chimney?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)