|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Black Gum NOT used for?
(a) Bee gums.
(d) Wagon Wheels.
2. Hickory was a very desirable wood but what was a drawback of this wood?
(a) It attracked termites.
(b) It was hard to work.
(c) It splintered out easily.
(d) It would bow badly in humid weather.
3. What had the Foxfire magazine's purpose started out being when they looked into writing about quilts?
(a) To learn about the history of quilting.
(b) To look at modern day applications for the ageless process.
(c) To teach individuals the basics for making a quilt.
(d) To find all patterns native to the area.
4. What would happen if the wood used in tight-fitting tools and other objects wasn't seasoned?
(a) The wood would draw insects to the fresh sap.
(b) The wood would shrink and pull away as it dried.
(c) The wood would warp and bend as it dried.
(d) The wood would begin to rot.
5. What did a chimney have to do so that it didn't smoke?
(b) Go straight up.
(c) Have a hole under it to let the ashes fall out.
(d) Face southeast.
6. What tool is needed for drilling holes?
(a) Drawing knife.
7. How many copies of Foxfire are printed the very first time it is printed?
(a) A Thousand.
(b) Two Hundred.
(c) Six Hundred.
(d) They Lost Count.
8. What does Mrs. Harriet Echols say that she used to put in her soap to thicken up the soap?
(a) Soft corn shucks.
(b) Pieces of rope.
9. What are Aunt Arie's stories said to be "spiced" with?
(c) Local gossip.
(d) Quaint Euphemisms.
10. What does Wigginton say is NOT a primary concern in the magazine?
(b) Proper English.
(d) Historical Facts.
11. What does Wigginton suggest could be an answer to student failure?
(a) Parent Involvement.
(b) A Hobby
(c) Pride in Thier Community.
(d) Inventive Teaching.
12. What does Mrs. Watts say her dolls were made from?
(c) Animal Hide.
(d) Animal Bones.
13. Where is Aunt Arie's husband at the time the story is written?
(b) Sick in bed.
(c) No one is sure.
(d) Off working.
14. What does Mrs. Watts say was their reaction to the gifts that Santa Clause had left them?
(a) They were pleased.
(b) They were too sick to enjoy them.
(c) The objects were hid away and saved as if gold.
(d) They had wanted more but didn't say anything.
15. What did Dan's father say to do if the limbs on the white oak droop?
(a) Avoid all trees within a twenty foot spread of that one.
(b) Let the tree stand.
(c) Take that tree.
(d) Cut off the limbs and let it be for a week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it suggested that the foundation be at least 18" high?
2. What was said would happen to a young girl that slept under a new quilt?
3. What does Mrs. Watts say her brothers used pine to build?
4. What do the Friendship Quilts typically have stitched on them?
5. What is done to the Dutch Oven before cooking with it?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)