|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were many of the tools made out of that the pioneers used?
(c) Blood, sweat, and tears.
2. What is NOT needed for hewing?
(b) Pole axe.
(c) Foot adze.
3. What tool is needed for drilling holes?
(a) Drawing knife.
4. Why is green wood put on after the fire has caught?
(a) It was easier to find.
(b) It saves the seasoned wood.
(c) It gives off more heat and lasts longer.
(d) It gives the food a better taste.
5. What had the Foxfire magazine's purpose started out being when they looked into writing about quilts?
(a) To find all patterns native to the area.
(b) To teach individuals the basics for making a quilt.
(c) To learn about the history of quilting.
(d) To look at modern day applications for the ageless process.
6. What were early chimneys called?
(a) Smoke stacks.
(b) Possum cages.
(c) Brick Rock chimenys
(d) Stick-and-Mud chimneys.
7. What are the students responsible for getting when Foxfire is first started?
8. What was "This is the Way I was Raised Up" written on?
(a) Back of the People Magazine.
(b) Small piece of paper.
(c) Cardboard Box.
9. In the beginning of 'Wood,' what does the author say is the most vital factor in determining the way of life of a self-sufficient people in a particular area?
(c) Natural resources.
10. What do the students say is one reason why they have asked Beulah to help them make a basket?
(a) Because they enjoy her company.
(b) So they can learn from her.
(c) Because she makes good cakes.
(d) She has offered.
11. What did the sign read when the students reached Lon Reid's property?
(a) Beware of Bees.
(b) No trespassing.
(c) No revenuers.
(d) Beware of Dogs.
12. How long do the students say it took them to gather information about building the log cabin?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) An entire summer.
(d) A full year.
13. What does Aunt Arie say she is going to make?
(c) Souse Meat.
14. What does Mrs. Claude Darnell suggest might be the reason that there has been a revival in an interest in quilting?
(a) Because people want to get back to the good old days.
(b) Because they have fond memories of their grandparents quilting.
(c) Because it is a part of their heritage.
(d) It is a novelty.
15. What do the Friendship Quilts typically have stitched on them?
(a) The date the quilt was created.
(b) A name for the person whom the quilt would be given.
(c) The names of those quilting.
(d) A verse from the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was NOT added to the clay to help the chinking in the chimney set up more quickly?
2. What does Aunt Arie say she would put in if she had plenty of money?
3. What is NOT included in the article 'Rope, Straw, and Feathers are to Sleep on?'
4. What did Mrs. Watts' family use to make coffee?
5. What was the Black Gum NOT used for?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)