|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was said would happen to a young girl that slept under a new quilt?
(a) She would dream of the one she would marry.
(b) She would be in good health for the next six months.
(c) She would marry within a year.
(d) She would soon find a large sum of money.
2. Why does Beulah say that she has had a possum head cooked for her in her past?
(a) Her father didn't believe in killing something for no reason.
(b) They wondered what it tasted like.
(c) Because they were hungry.
(d) As a reward for good behavior.
3. What is NOT included in the article 'Rope, Straw, and Feathers are to Sleep on?'
(c) Places to buy your own hand crafted feather bed.
4. What is NOT needed for hewing?
(b) Foot adze.
(d) Pole axe.
5. When does Mrs. Lester Norton say that they changed the straw in her straw mattress?
(a) Right before flu season hits.
(b) Thrashing time each year.
(c) Whenever a new one is needed.
(d) Whenever it got flat.
6. What does Mrs. Harriet Echols say that she used to put in her soap to thicken up the soap?
(a) Pieces of rope.
(c) Soft corn shucks.
7. What does Wigginton say is NOT a primary concern in the magazine?
(a) Proper English.
(c) Historical Facts.
8. What does Pearl Martin say about the coloring of homemade soap?
(a) It depends on the ingredients used.
(b) It is almost clear.
(c) It is always a darker color.
(d) It never came out looking the same twice.
9. Where is Aunt Arie's husband at the time the story is written?
(a) Sick in bed.
(c) No one is sure.
(d) Off working.
10. What is said to be just as important as the tools?
(a) Hope and Love.
(b) The ability to pass this information down to future generations.
(c) Food and shelter.
(d) The knowledge to use them.
11. What does Aunt Arie say she is going to make?
(b) Souse Meat.
12. What was NOT added to the clay to help the chinking in the chimney set up more quickly?
13. What two things are white oak splits traditionally used for?
(a) Making guitars and banjos.
(b) Furniture and laundry baskets.
(c) Bottoming chairs and baskets.
(d) Bottoming chairs and animal pens.
14. What does Aunt Arie say she would put in if she had plenty of money?
(a) A toilet.
(b) A new roof.
(c) A new hog pen.
(d) A sink.
15. What happened to the once plentiful Chestnut trees?
(b) Cut down by farmers.
(c) Global warming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the earliest simple mattresses called?
2. What kind of vehicle drives past Mrs. Watts and her family?
3. What does Mrs. Watts say her brothers used pine to build?
4. What did the sign read when the students reached Lon Reid's property?
5. When does Mrs. Carrie Dillard Garrison say that that she used to make her soap?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)