|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cortez say that capital punishment is the only punishment for not following orders?
2. What do Rogers and Mandella do together during the night?
3. Mandella is hit by _____________.
4. What does one of the men break on his fighting suit?
5. What is the name of the company's sergeant on Charon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the journey to Charon.
2. What shots are the troops given in Chapter 2, Part 1?
3. How does Mandella try and help Marygay as they wait for a medic?
4. How does Stott demonstrate how dangerous the suit can be?
5. Why does Mandella think training in the freezing cold is pointless?
6. How was Mandella a success in training in Chapter 7?
7. What mistake does Mandella make in training at the beginning of Chapter 7?
8. What is the company's job on darkside?
9. What two things does Captain Stott tell the troops on Charon?
10. How have the Taurens improved their technology since the last meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Forever War is written in the first person and with Haldeman as narrator. Why do you think Haldeman chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person? What difference does it make it make to the story that Haldeman is one of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Haldeman's writing style. How would you describe Haldeman's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Haldeman's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay that examines and answers the following question: How does Haldeman create a futuristic world, different from our own, while still making it understandable to the reader?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)