|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what kind of sickness does half the crew suffer?
2. What is spilling out of Marygay's body?
3. What is the name of the company's captain on Charon?
4. In what subject does Mandella have a background?
5. What is the name of Mandella's team?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have the Taurens improved their technology since the last meeting?
2. Describe Sergeant Cortez.
3. What are the students' responses to the film?
4. Describe the battle against the Taurans in Chapter 15.
5. How does Stott demonstrate how dangerous the suit can be?
6. How does Mandella try and help Marygay as they wait for a medic?
7. What is the company's job on darkside?
8. Why does Cortez state capital punishment is usually unnecessary?
9. With what have the platoon commanders been pre-programmed?
10. What problems does Mandella voice about Potter at the beginning of Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Forever War is part of the science fiction genre.
1) What are the conventions of the science fiction genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Forever War help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Forever War?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Haldeman use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a scene from the novel and critically analyze it in terms of the following:
1) Character development
2) Plot development.
3) Its significance to the book overall.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)