|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the U.S. government finally award the Utes their $3 million?
2. How did Zitkala-Sa feel about the Ute reservation?
3. With whom did Zitkala-Sa collaborate on an opera?
4. Who was the main character in Zitkala-Sa's opera?
5. Zitkala-Sa protested the use of peyote because ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What conditions did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond find when they moved to Utah?
2. What was the project Zitkala-Sa collaborated with William Hanson on in Vernal?
3. Why were Zitkala-Sa and Raymond happy to move to Washington D.C.?
4. What did the U.S. government do with the tribal land and how did David fare in the action?
5. Explain the cultural conflict Zitkala-Sa experienced no matter where she was?
6. What were the conditions on the Uintah Reservation that Zitkala-Sa wanted to escape?
7. What major success did Zitkala-Sa have for the Ute Indians several years after her death and what was her legacy to other Indian rights activists who would come after her?
8. What was Zitkala-Sa's state of mind at the time of her death in 1938?
9. What was Zitkala-Sa's opinion of peyote?
10. How did Raymond fight for the Ute Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Zitkala-Sa. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? Was she strong or weak? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of man's inhumanity to man is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)