|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something which Gertrude needed?
2. Who was the Indian doctor who wanted to marry Gertrude in Boston?
3. How did Zitkala-Sa feel about the Ute reservation?
4. Why did Zitkala-Sa resign her position of secretary-treasurer of the Society of American Indians?
5. Zitkala-Sa wanted peyote to be ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompted Gertrude to change her name to Zitkala-Sa?
2. What conditions did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond find when they moved to Utah?
3. What major success did Zitkala-Sa have for the Ute Indians several years after her death and what was her legacy to other Indian rights activists who would come after her?
4. Explain the cultural conflict Zitkala-Sa experienced no matter where she was?
5. What troubles were created for Zitkala-Sa and Raymond's marriage by F. Baker, the Indian Bureau agent?
6. What did Zitkala-Sa's opera signify to the world regarding the integration of Indian and white cultures?
7. What were the circumstances that had Zitkala-Sa sick, broke and exhausted?
8. What was Zitkala-Sa's state of mind at the time of her death in 1938?
9. How did Raymond fight for the Ute Indians?
10. What was the project Zitkala-Sa collaborated with William Hanson on in Vernal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Zitkala-Sa's legacy? Why did she die in despair? Would she be pleased at the foundation she laid if she were to view the lives of Native Americans in American today?
Essay Topic 2
It is said that a writer writes what he knows and an artist creates what he knows. What does this statement mean? Did Zitkala-Sa create what she knew? Give three examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Zitkala-Sa. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? Was she strong or weak? What were her primary motivations during her life?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)