|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what war did Raymond enlist?
2. What was peyote?
3. In her lifetime, Zitkala-Sa had difficulty with _________________.
4. What problem did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond have with Ohiya's children when they took them in?
5. What part of Zitkala-Sa emerged when on the Ute reservation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances that had Zitkala-Sa sick, broke and exhausted?
2. Why did Zitkala-Sa write a report entitled "Oklahoma's Poor Rich Indians" and what effect did it have on changes being made for the Osage Indians?
3. What was the project Zitkala-Sa collaborated with William Hanson on in Vernal?
4. What major success did Zitkala-Sa have for the Ute Indians several years after her death and what was her legacy to other Indian rights activists who would come after her?
5. What were the conditions on the Uintah Reservation that Zitkala-Sa wanted to escape?
6. How did Zitkala-Sa reconnect with Carlos Montezuma in Boston?
7. Who was Carlos Montezuma and why did Zitkala-Sa not marry him?
8. What was Zitkala-Sa's opinion of peyote?
9. How did Zitkala-Sa's heritage, especially the Iktomi story, help equip her to manage in the white man's world?
10. Why did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond travel for five months of 1917?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why is it called simply "The Flight of Red Bird"? What was Rappaport trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Tate. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)