|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zitkala-Sa love about the white world?
2. To what state did Zitkala-Sa and her husband move after their marriage?
3. What fib did Zitkala-Sa tell the government in Washington?
4. What role did Zitkala-Sa take on in the Society of American Indians?
5. Where did Zitkala-Sa long to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the dire situation Gertrude found when she returned to the Yankton Reservation after being gone for six years?
2. Why was peyote legalized and why did Zitkala-Sa resign as secretary and treasurer of the Society of American Indians?
3. What was the main problem facing the Ute Indians?
4. How did Zitkala-Sa reconnect with Carlos Montezuma in Boston?
5. What was the project Zitkala-Sa collaborated with William Hanson on in Vernal?
6. How did Raymond fight for the Ute Indians?
7. Why did Zitkala-Sa write a report entitled "Oklahoma's Poor Rich Indians" and what effect did it have on changes being made for the Osage Indians?
8. Explain the cultural conflict Zitkala-Sa experienced no matter where she was?
9. What major success did Zitkala-Sa have for the Ute Indians several years after her death and what was her legacy to other Indian rights activists who would come after her?
10. Who was Carlos Montezuma and why did Zitkala-Sa not marry him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why is it called simply "The Flight of Red Bird"? What was Rappaport trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Zitkala-Sa. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? Was she strong or weak? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 3
It is said that a writer writes what he knows and an artist creates what he knows. What does this statement mean? Did Zitkala-Sa create what she knew? Give three examples to support your answer.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)