|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Zitkala-Sa's former boyfriends started the Society of American Indians?
2. For how long did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond travel around in the chapter entitled, "Despair"?
3. Who was the greedy agent at the Indian Bureau with whom Raymond had trouble?
4. How much land had the U.S. government taken from the Ute Indians?
5. What was a major problem with the Indian tribe in #112?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Zitkala-Sa. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? Was she strong or weak? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact that Zitkala-Sa's childhood had on her as an adult. What did it mean to be an Indian girl in late 19th century America? What stigmas did Zitkala-Sa live with for her entire life? How did Zitkala-Sa use her childhood experiences to create her life's work?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of man's inhumanity to man is an important one in the book. Describe how it extends through setting, subjects, technique, etc. and provide examples for each.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)