|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond move to which made them both happy?
2. Which Indians were the richest people in the world?
3. With what illness was Zitkala-Sa very sick at this time?
4. Why did Raymond accuse Zitkala-Sa of having an affair?
5. Ruthless men swindled money from the Utes by selling __________________-.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gertrude like living in Boston?
2. Why was Zitkala-Sa so conflicted about where to live--Washington D.C. or the reservation?
3. Why were Zitkala-Sa and Raymond happy to move to Washington D.C.?
4. What was Zitkala-Sa's opinion of peyote?
5. How did Zitkala-Sa's heritage, especially the Iktomi story, help equip her to manage in the white man's world?
6. Why was peyote legalized and why did Zitkala-Sa resign as secretary and treasurer of the Society of American Indians?
7. How did Raymond fight for the Ute Indians?
8. What did the U.S. government do with the tribal land and how did David fare in the action?
9. What conditions did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond find when they moved to Utah?
10. Why did peyote represent a lack of control that Zitkala-Sa had in both her Indian and white worlds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Zitkala-Sa's legacy? Why did she die in despair? Would she be pleased at the foundation she laid if she were to view the lives of Native Americans in American today?
Essay Topic 2
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of conflict that plagued Zitkala-Sa throughout her life? What was the source of conflict for the Indian people overall? Cite examples.
Essay Topic 3
Rappaport was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)