|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did some of the children at the boarding school sneak out to do?
2. What did the devil in Gertrude's dream symbolize?
3. What was the name of the boarding school?
4. Which of the following does NOT describe the character in #21?
5. How many marriages did Tate have with white men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Indian children at the boarding school get sick and what happened to them during serious illnesses?
2. What publication did Gertrude write for when she was 24, and what was the content of her article?
3. What was Red Apple Country and what lies did the white men tell Gertrude about it?
4. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
5. Why did Captain Richard Henry Pratt develop the idea to remove Indian infants from their homes and transfer them to the homes of white people and how did this plan extend into reality?
6. Why did Gertrude experience an identity crisis in her pre-teen years?
7. What role did oral stories serve in the Indian society, and which story character did Gertrude like best?
8. What is the premise of "The Flight of Red Bird: The Life of Zitkala-Sa"?
9. What was Gertrude's experience upon her arrival at the boarding school?
10. Explain the symbolism in the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conflict takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of conflict that plagued Zitkala-Sa throughout her life? What was the source of conflict for the Indian people overall? Cite examples.
Essay Topic 2
Rappaport was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Raymond Bonnin. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)