|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT something the government promised the Indians?
2. Gertrude attended the white man's school what timeframe?
3. In Indian society, the elders told stories to teach ______________ to the young people.
4. Who was Tate's son from her second marriage?
5. What was Gertrude's last name as a girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbolism in the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
2. What was Gertrude's experience upon her arrival at the boarding school?
3. What is the premise of "The Flight of Red Bird: The Life of Zitkala-Sa"?
4. What did the devil in the Bible stories symbolize for Gertrude?
5. What was Gertrude's experience on the train headed to the boarding school?
6. How does the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk foreshadow Gertrude's life in white society?
7. In what ways did Tate show Gertrude how to be a strong woman?
8. Describe what you can recall about the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
9. How did Gertrude begin her fight for both women and Indian rights?
10. What shocked Gertrude about punishment meted out on Judewin for playing in the snow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Zitkala-Sa. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? Was she strong or weak? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of man's inhumanity to man is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Tate. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)