|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At college, Gertrude won honors in which field?
2. Which of the following is NOT something the girls did at the boarding school?
3. What role did Cloud Elk have in the tribe?
4. Gertrude enjoyed the stories about which Indian character?
5. What did Tate say when Gertrude decided to go to the boarding school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two tragic events occurred for Indian people in December of 1890?
2. What did the devil in the Bible stories symbolize for Gertrude?
3. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
4. Describe what you can recall about the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
5. In what ways did Red Apple Country represent the white man's world to the Indian children?
6. What sorts of punishment were handed out to the Indian children at the boarding school and how did Gertrude get revenge one day?
7. In what ways did Tate show Gertrude how to be a strong woman?
8. How was Gertrude able to attend college in Indiana?
9. Explain the symbolism of Lewis and Clark wrapping an Indian baby in an American flag.
10. What was Gertrude's experience on the train headed to the boarding school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Zitkala-Sa have felt periods of loneliness in her life? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of man's inhumanity to man is an important one in the book. Describe how it extends through setting, subjects, technique, etc. and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Zitkala-Sa was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of her life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)