|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which state was the college in #84 located?
2. What happened to Gertrude when she got on the train?
3. Why did so many of the Indian children have chronic health problems or die?
4. Gertrude's playmates at the boarding school were Judewin and _____________.
5. What did the cutting of Gertrude's braids symbolize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of "The Flight of Red Bird: The Life of Zitkala-Sa"?
2. Explain the symbolism of Lewis and Clark wrapping an Indian baby in an American flag.
3. In what ways did Tate show Gertrude how to be a strong woman?
4. Describe what you can recall about the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
5. Ironically, what did Gertrude do in 1891 when she returned to White's boarding school?
6. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
7. What publication did Gertrude write for when she was 24, and what was the content of her article?
8. What two tragic events occurred for Indian people in December of 1890?
9. In what ways did Red Apple Country represent the white man's world to the Indian children?
10. How did the Indian children's loneliness exhibit with them physically?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Zitkala-Sa have felt periods of loneliness in her life? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
What is Zitkala-Sa's legacy? Why did she die in despair? Would she be pleased at the foundation she laid if she were to view the lives of Native Americans in American today?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Raymond Bonnin. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)