|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a tipi?
2. What was Gertrude ordered to mash one day?
3. What did the devil in Gertrude's dream symbolize?
4. What image did Gertrude scratch out in the Bible?
5. In 1897, Gertrude taught at the most famous Indian boarding school in America located in which state?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Captain Richard Henry Pratt develop the idea to remove Indian infants from their homes and transfer them to the homes of white people and how did this plan extend into reality?
2. What was Gertrude's experience on the train headed to the boarding school?
3. What was Gertrude's experience upon her arrival at the boarding school?
4. Explain how the physical abuse of the Indian children was the beginning of Gertrude's rebellious nature and the beginning of her life as Zitkala-Sa.
5. Ironically, what did Gertrude do in 1891 when she returned to White's boarding school?
6. What did the devil in the Bible stories symbolize for Gertrude?
7. Why did Gertrude experience an identity crisis in her pre-teen years?
8. How many times was Tate married, and how many children did she have?
9. Explain the symbolism in the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
10. What was Red Apple Country and what lies did the white men tell Gertrude about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Zitkala-Sa. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? Was she strong or weak? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Zitkala-Sa have felt periods of loneliness in her life? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)