|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At college, Gertrude won honors in which field?
2. Who was Tate's son from her second marriage?
3. Where did Gertrude return to teach in 1891?
4. Who was Judewin?
5. Who stared at Gertrude and the other Indian children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Gertrude's experience on the train headed to the boarding school?
2. What were some of the shocking experiences of Gertrude and the other children on the first day of school?
3. What did the devil in the Bible stories symbolize for Gertrude?
4. In what ways did Red Apple Country represent the white man's world to the Indian children?
5. What shocked Gertrude about punishment meted out on Judewin for playing in the snow?
6. Explain how the physical abuse of the Indian children was the beginning of Gertrude's rebellious nature and the beginning of her life as Zitkala-Sa.
7. Describe what you can recall about the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
8. In what ways did Tate show Gertrude how to be a strong woman?
9. Why did Gertrude experience an identity crisis in her pre-teen years?
10. How many times was Tate married, and how many children did she have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Raymond Bonnin. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Zitkala-Sa. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? Was she strong or weak? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of man's inhumanity to man is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)