|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What last name was given to Gertrude?
2. Gertrude had a bad dream in which _________________ came to get Tate and her guest.
3. What did the girls wear at the boarding school?
4. What was the name of the man in #24?
5. Until what time did the children at the boarding school have to work each night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two tragic events occurred for Indian people in December of 1890?
2. What shocked Gertrude about punishment meted out on Judewin for playing in the snow?
3. What role did oral stories serve in the Indian society, and which story character did Gertrude like best?
4. What sorts of punishment were handed out to the Indian children at the boarding school and how did Gertrude get revenge one day?
5. Explain the symbolism of Lewis and Clark wrapping an Indian baby in an American flag.
6. In what ways did Red Apple Country represent the white man's world to the Indian children?
7. Why did Gertrude experience an identity crisis in her pre-teen years?
8. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
9. What were some of the shocking experiences of Gertrude and the other children on the first day of school?
10. How does the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk foreshadow Gertrude's life in white society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the impact that Zitkala-Sa's childhood had on her as an adult. What did it mean to be an Indian girl in late 19th century America? What stigmas did Zitkala-Sa live with for her entire life? How did Zitkala-Sa use her childhood experiences to create her life's work?
Essay Topic 2
It is said that a writer writes what he knows and an artist creates what he knows. What does this statement mean? Did Zitkala-Sa create what she knew? Give three examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Raymond Bonnin. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)