|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gertrude observe that was important to the Quaker teachers?
2. What did the Federal agents do to force the Indians to give up their children?
3. In what year did Gertrude return home from the second boarding school?
4. What image did Gertrude scratch out in the Bible?
5. According to Gertrude's mother, who were the only people who had their hair cut off?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gertrude experience an identity crisis in her pre-teen years?
2. What is the premise of "The Flight of Red Bird: The Life of Zitkala-Sa"?
3. Describe what you can recall about the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
4. How many times was Tate married, and how many children did she have?
5. What did Gertrude recall about what her mother said about people who had their hair cut off and what did Gertrude do to try to avoid losing her own hair?
6. What were some of the shocking experiences of Gertrude and the other children on the first day of school?
7. Was Gertrude conflicted while experiencing an identity crisis as a girl?
8. Explain the symbolism of Lewis and Clark wrapping an Indian baby in an American flag.
9. In what ways did Tate show Gertrude how to be a strong woman?
10. How does the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk foreshadow Gertrude's life in white society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Zitkala-Sa. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? Was she strong or weak? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 2
Zitkala-Sa was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of her life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Raymond Bonnin. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)