|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The older boys at the school worked as what?
2. The U.S. government forced Tate to send David to _____________________.
3. How did Gertrude travel to the boarding school?
4. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
5. What is the meaning of Zitkala-Sa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of "The Flight of Red Bird: The Life of Zitkala-Sa"?
2. How was Gertrude able to attend college in Indiana?
3. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
4. How did Gertrude begin her fight for both women and Indian rights?
5. What role did oral stories serve in the Indian society, and which story character did Gertrude like best?
6. What did Gertrude recall about what her mother said about people who had their hair cut off and what did Gertrude do to try to avoid losing her own hair?
7. What did the devil in the Bible stories symbolize for Gertrude?
8. What two tragic events occurred for Indian people in December of 1890?
9. Explain the symbolism in the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
10. Why did Gertrude experience an identity crisis in her pre-teen years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Raymond Bonnin. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Zitkala-Sa have felt periods of loneliness in her life? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of man's inhumanity to man is an important one in the book. Describe how it extends through setting, subjects, technique, etc. and provide examples for each.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)