|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tate teach Gertrude to do?
2. What last name was given to Gertrude?
3. What did the cutting of Gertrude's braids symbolize?
4. What was Gertrude's last name as a girl?
5. Which of the following is NOT something the girls did at the boarding school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Indian children at the boarding school get sick and what happened to them during serious illnesses?
2. How was Gertrude able to attend college in Indiana?
3. Why did Gertrude experience an identity crisis in her pre-teen years?
4. In what ways did Tate show Gertrude how to be a strong woman?
5. What role did oral stories serve in the Indian society, and which story character did Gertrude like best?
6. Was Gertrude conflicted while experiencing an identity crisis as a girl?
7. What was Red Apple Country and what lies did the white men tell Gertrude about it?
8. In what ways did Red Apple Country represent the white man's world to the Indian children?
9. What sorts of punishment were handed out to the Indian children at the boarding school and how did Gertrude get revenge one day?
10. Describe what you can recall about the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would Zitkala-Sa have felt periods of loneliness in her life? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Zitkala-Sa was able to incorporate Indian culture into her white world and her white world into her Indian life. What did Zitkala-Sa crave from both worlds? Why was she always restless regardless of the world in which she was currently living?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of man's inhumanity to man is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)