|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did some of the children at the boarding school sneak out to do?
2. At college, Gertrude won honors in which field?
3. What did the Indian children serve as when they were sent to live with white families?
4. How old was Gertrude when she wrote a scathing article in "Atlantic Monthly" regarding the mistreatment of Indians?
5. What were the children not allowed to wear at the boarding school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the physical abuse of the Indian children was the beginning of Gertrude's rebellious nature and the beginning of her life as Zitkala-Sa.
2. How did the Indian children's loneliness exhibit with them physically?
3. How many times was Tate married, and how many children did she have?
4. How does the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk foreshadow Gertrude's life in white society?
5. Why did the Indian children at the boarding school get sick and what happened to them during serious illnesses?
6. Was Gertrude conflicted while experiencing an identity crisis as a girl?
7. What publication did Gertrude write for when she was 24, and what was the content of her article?
8. Describe what daily life was like for the Indian children at the boarding school.
9. In what ways did Red Apple Country represent the white man's world to the Indian children?
10. Why did Gertrude experience an identity crisis in her pre-teen years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Raymond Bonnin. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice and discrimination against Indians was a fact of life during Zitkala-Sa's life. What limitations did Zitkala-Sa struggle against? How did ethnic discrimination hold her back? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Zitkala-Sa was able to incorporate Indian culture into her white world and her white world into her Indian life. What did Zitkala-Sa crave from both worlds? Why was she always restless regardless of the world in which she was currently living?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)