|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Indian society, the elders told stories to teach ______________ to the young people.
2. Who stared at Gertrude and the other Indian children?
3. In what state was Gertrude's second boarding school located?
4. How many children slept in each bed at the boarding house?
5. A Quaker woman offered to pay for Gertrude's education at which school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Red Apple Country and what lies did the white men tell Gertrude about it?
2. Explain the symbolism of Lewis and Clark wrapping an Indian baby in an American flag.
3. Why did the Indian children at the boarding school get sick and what happened to them during serious illnesses?
4. In what ways did Red Apple Country represent the white man's world to the Indian children?
5. How was Gertrude able to attend college in Indiana?
6. What was Gertrude's experience on the train headed to the boarding school?
7. In what ways did Tate show Gertrude how to be a strong woman?
8. What were some of the shocking experiences of Gertrude and the other children on the first day of school?
9. What did the devil in the Bible stories symbolize for Gertrude?
10. Was Gertrude conflicted while experiencing an identity crisis as a girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Doreen Rappaport's writing style. How is she different from other writers of her time? What are some of her characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of her classic style in "The Flight of Red Bird".
Essay Topic 2
Rappaport was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Zitkala-Sa was able to incorporate Indian culture into her white world and her white world into her Indian life. What did Zitkala-Sa crave from both worlds? Why was she always restless regardless of the world in which she was currently living?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)