Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Yankton Indians were part of which Indian nation?
2. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
3. What was the name of the man in #24?
4. Until what time did the children at the boarding school have to work each night?
5. In which state was the college in #84 located?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did Tate show Gertrude how to be a strong woman?
2. Why was peyote legalized and why did Zitkala-Sa resign as secretary and treasurer of the Society of American Indians?
3. Explain how the physical abuse of the Indian children was the beginning of Gertrude's rebellious nature and the beginning of her life as Zitkala-Sa.
4. What did Gertrude recall about what her mother said about people who had their hair cut off and what did Gertrude do to try to avoid losing her own hair?
5. Describe what daily life was like for the Indian children at the boarding school.
6. What did the U.S. government do with the tribal land and how did David fare in the action?
7. Why were Zitkala-Sa and Raymond happy to move to Washington D.C.?
8. Why did Zitkala-Sa write a report entitled "Oklahoma's Poor Rich Indians" and what effect did it have on changes being made for the Osage Indians?
9. Explain the symbolism in the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
10. Why did Gertrude like living in Boston?
Describe the overall setting and time period for Gertrude's young adulthood? What was America like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Gertrude, her family and friends?
Explain the impact that Zitkala-Sa's childhood had on her as an adult. What did it mean to be an Indian girl in late 19th century America? What stigmas did Zitkala-Sa live with for her entire life? How did Zitkala-Sa use her childhood experiences to create her life's work?
Create a brief character study of Tate. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)