|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond travel around in the chapter entitled, "Despair"?
(a) They documented Indian injustices.
(b) They looked for a good place to start a school.
(c) They looked for some land to purchase.
(d) They were covering the West for a Boston publication.
2. Zitkala-Sa protested the use of peyote because ________________________.
(a) it was easy to get.
(b) it was addictive.
(c) it caused cancer.
(d) it was toxic.
3. Zitkala-Sa wanted to leave Washington D. C. and go ____________________.
(a) back to the reservation.
(b) to Boston.
(c) to the West coast.
(d) to Indiana.
4. What did Zitkala-Sa love about the white world?
5. In her lifetime, Zitkala-Sa had difficulty with _________________.
(c) fitting in.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Gertrude marry when she was 26?
2. Who was the main character in Zitkala-Sa's opera?
3. What did David do that helped with the family's prosperity?
4. Ruthless men swindled money from the Utes by selling __________________-.
5. To what city did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond return after their travels in "Despair"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was peyote legalized and why did Zitkala-Sa resign as secretary and treasurer of the Society of American Indians?
2. Why did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond travel for five months of 1917?
3. What major success did Zitkala-Sa have for the Ute Indians several years after her death and what was her legacy to other Indian rights activists who would come after her?
4. Who did Zitkala-Sa marry and why did she choose him over Carlos Montezuma?
5. What did Zitkala-Sa's opera signify to the world regarding the integration of Indian and white cultures?
6. What conditions did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond find when they moved to Utah?
7. Who was Carlos Montezuma and why did Zitkala-Sa not marry him?
8. How did Zitkala-Sa's heritage, especially the Iktomi story, help equip her to manage in the white man's world?
9. How did Raymond fight for the Ute Indians?
10. Why were Zitkala-Sa and Raymond happy to move to Washington D.C.?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)