|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what state did Zitkala-Sa and her husband move after their marriage?
2. How did Zitkala-Sa feel about the Ute reservation?
(a) It pleased her.
(b) It dissatisfied her.
(c) It frightened her.
(d) It made her happy.
3. Which one of Zitkala-Sa's former boyfriends started the Society of American Indians?
4. What part of Zitkala-Sa emerged when on the Ute reservation?
(a) Her female identity.
(b) Her white identity.
(c) Her Sioux identity.
(d) Her maternal identity.
5. How many children did Ohiya have?
Short Answer Questions
1. With what illness was Zitkala-Sa very sick at this time?
2. What happened to the land belonging to Indians who were murdered?
3. With whom did Zitkala-Sa collaborate on an opera?
4. Who did Gertrude marry when she was 26?
5. Zitkala-Sa was a trailblazer for ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Zitkala-Sa so conflicted about where to live--Washington D.C. or the reservation?
2. Why were Zitkala-Sa and Raymond happy to move to Washington D.C.?
3. What was Zitkala-Sa's opinion of peyote?
4. What prompted Gertrude to change her name to Zitkala-Sa?
5. How did Zitkala-Sa's heritage, especially the Iktomi story, help equip her to manage in the white man's world?
6. How did Raymond fight for the Ute Indians?
7. Explain the cultural conflict Zitkala-Sa experienced no matter where she was?
8. Explain how Zitkala-Sa's name meaning Red Bird symbolized both her life and afterlife.
9. What is peyote, and how did the Indians use it?
10. What conditions did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond find when they moved to Utah?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)