|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the white settlement where Zitkala-Sa and her family lived in 1913?
2. On whom did the Ute Indians rely for food?
(a) Tribal farmers.
(b) Tribal hunters.
(c) The U.S. government.
(d) Tribal trappers.
3. Why did Zitkala-Sa not attend the last hearing regarding the Osage Indians?
(a) She was afraid of being murdered.
(b) She was too ill.
(c) It was too far to travel.
(d) She had a scheduling conflict.
4. Zitkala-Sa died on January 26 in what year?
5. Who was the Indian doctor who wanted to marry Gertrude in Boston?
(a) Carlos Ackley.
(b) Carlos Lopez.
(c) Carlos Montezuma.
(d) Carlos Santana.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what state did Zitkala-Sa and her husband move after their marriage?
2. What did Zitkala-Sa hate about her life in Utah?
3. What was the membership fee for Indians to belong to the National Council of American Indians?
4. Why did Zitkala-Sa's separate herself from the Ute Indians?
5. Why did David lose his job at the Indian Bureau?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did peyote represent a lack of control that Zitkala-Sa had in both her Indian and white worlds?
2. What did the U.S. government do with the tribal land and how did David fare in the action?
3. What prompted Gertrude to change her name to Zitkala-Sa?
4. How did Raymond fight for the Ute Indians?
5. What was the project Zitkala-Sa collaborated with William Hanson on in Vernal?
6. Why was Zitkala-Sa so conflicted about where to live--Washington D.C. or the reservation?
7. Why did Gertrude like living in Boston?
8. Explain the cultural conflict Zitkala-Sa experienced no matter where she was?
9. What did Zitkala-Sa's opera signify to the world regarding the integration of Indian and white cultures?
10. What troubles were created for Zitkala-Sa and Raymond's marriage by F. Baker, the Indian Bureau agent?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)