|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Ute Indians had problems with drinking and __________________.
(b) anger management.
(c) playing cards.
(d) reckless driving.
2. Who was the Indian doctor who wanted to marry Gertrude in Boston?
(a) Carlos Ackley.
(b) Carlos Santana.
(c) Carlos Montezuma.
(d) Carlos Lopez.
3. What did Mormon families come to the white settlement to see?
(a) An opera.
(b) Farm implements.
(c) The Indians.
(d) Indian housing.
4. Zitkala-Sa's name meant _________________.
(a) red bird.
(b) mourning dove.
(c) black crow.
(d) little turtle.
5. Zitkala-Sa's best memories were from living ____________________.
(a) at the reservation.
(b) in Pennsylvania.
(c) in Boston.
(d) in Indiana.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the character in #132 have to dance a sun dance in the opera?
2. How did Gertrude sign the article that appeared in the publication in #103?
3. What was a major problem with the Indian tribe in #112?
4. In her lifetime, Zitkala-Sa had difficulty with _________________.
5. What did Zitkala-Sa love about the white world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zitkala-Sa's opera signify to the world regarding the integration of Indian and white cultures?
2. Why did Zitkala-Sa write a report entitled "Oklahoma's Poor Rich Indians" and what effect did it have on changes being made for the Osage Indians?
3. How did Zitkala-Sa's heritage, especially the Iktomi story, help equip her to manage in the white man's world?
4. What conditions did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond find when they moved to Utah?
5. Why were Zitkala-Sa and Raymond happy to move to Washington D.C.?
6. What is peyote, and how did the Indians use it?
7. What major success did Zitkala-Sa have for the Ute Indians several years after her death and what was her legacy to other Indian rights activists who would come after her?
8. What prompted Gertrude to change her name to Zitkala-Sa?
9. How did Zitkala-Sa reconnect with Carlos Montezuma in Boston?
10. Why did peyote represent a lack of control that Zitkala-Sa had in both her Indian and white worlds?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)