|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the character in #132 have to dance a sun dance in the opera?
(a) To bring an abundant harvest.
(b) To insure luck on the buffalo hunt.
(c) To prove his worthiness to his beloved.
(d) To bring an end to the rains.
2. What did Zitkala-Sa love about the white world?
3. Why did Zitkala-Sa resign her position of secretary-treasurer of the Society of American Indians?
(a) She had more creative pursuits now.
(b) They elected a peyote majority leader.
(c) Her family required more of her time.
(d) She was too ill to serve.
4. What was the name of the organization founded by Zitkala-Sa and Raymond?
(a) American Indian Association.
(b) Native American Council.
(c) National Indian Association of America.
(d) National Council of American Indians.
5. Where did Zitkala-Sa long to live?
(a) A city.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A reservation.
(d) A beach area.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Ute Indians had problems with drinking and __________________.
2. How many children did Ohiya have?
3. Who lived near the Indian village?
4. What was the state of Zitkala-Sa and Raymond's financial situation?
5. To what state did Zitkala-Sa and her husband move after their marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Zitkala-Sa reconnect with Carlos Montezuma in Boston?
2. Who did Zitkala-Sa marry and why did she choose him over Carlos Montezuma?
3. Why was peyote legalized and why did Zitkala-Sa resign as secretary and treasurer of the Society of American Indians?
4. What was Zitkala-Sa's opinion of peyote?
5. Why did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond travel for five months of 1917?
6. What did the U.S. government do with the tribal land and how did David fare in the action?
7. Explain how Zitkala-Sa's name meaning Red Bird symbolized both her life and afterlife.
8. How did Zitkala-Sa's heritage, especially the Iktomi story, help equip her to manage in the white man's world?
9. What was the project Zitkala-Sa collaborated with William Hanson on in Vernal?
10. What is peyote, and how did the Indians use it?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)