|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Gertrude marry when she was 26?
(a) Raymond Telephause Bonnin.
(b) Robert Lopez.
(c) Thomas Marshall.
(d) Carlos Montezuma.
2. How did Zitkala-Sa feel about the Ute reservation?
(a) It dissatisfied her.
(b) It made her happy.
(c) It frightened her.
(d) It pleased her.
3. Why did Zitkala-Sa not attend the last hearing regarding the Osage Indians?
(a) She was too ill.
(b) It was too far to travel.
(c) She had a scheduling conflict.
(d) She was afraid of being murdered.
4. Who was Ohiya?
(a) Zitkala-Sa's brother.
(b) Zitkala-Sa's father.
(c) Zitkala-Sa's husband.
(d) Zitkala-Sa's son.
5. Which one of Zitkala-Sa's former boyfriends started the Society of American Indians?
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what type of boarding school did Zitkala-Sa place her son?
2. Zitkala-Sa wanted peyote to be ____________________.
3. Which were the only Indians who received fertile land when the U.S. government divided up the tribal land?
4. Who wrote the document entitled "Oklahoma's Poor Rich Indians"?
5. Who was the greedy agent at the Indian Bureau with whom Raymond had trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is peyote, and how did the Indians use it?
2. How did Zitkala-Sa's heritage, especially the Iktomi story, help equip her to manage in the white man's world?
3. Who did Zitkala-Sa marry and why did she choose him over Carlos Montezuma?
4. What did Zitkala-Sa's opera signify to the world regarding the integration of Indian and white cultures?
5. Explain how Zitkala-Sa's name meaning Red Bird symbolized both her life and afterlife.
6. How did Raymond fight for the Ute Indians?
7. What troubles were created for Zitkala-Sa and Raymond's marriage by F. Baker, the Indian Bureau agent?
8. What did the U.S. government do with the tribal land and how did David fare in the action?
9. What was the dire situation Gertrude found when she returned to the Yankton Reservation after being gone for six years?
10. Why were Zitkala-Sa and Raymond happy to move to Washington D.C.?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)