|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Zitkala-Sa's separate herself from the Ute Indians?
(a) She still wanted things like books and music.
(b) She did not speak their language.
(c) She did not practice their religion.
(d) There were tribal differences.
2. How did Gertrude sign the article that appeared in the publication in #103?
(b) G. Bonnin.
(c) Gertrude Bonnin.
(d) Red Bird.
3. Who was the Indian doctor who wanted to marry Gertrude in Boston?
(a) Carlos Santana.
(b) Carlos Ackley.
(c) Carlos Lopez.
(d) Carlos Montezuma.
4. Why did Zitkala-Sa not attend the last hearing regarding the Osage Indians?
(a) It was too far to travel.
(b) She had a scheduling conflict.
(c) She was too ill.
(d) She was afraid of being murdered.
5. Which of the following was NOT true about Kitkala-Sa's opera?
(a) It had Indian lyrics.
(b) Indians danced in the dance scene.
(c) Indians donated costumes.
(d) It was performed in Indiana.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the membership fee for Indians to belong to the National Council of American Indians?
2. What was the name of the organization founded by Zitkala-Sa and Raymond?
3. Zitkala-Sa's best memories were from living ____________________.
4. Zitkala-Sa wanted peyote to be ____________________.
5. What part of Zitkala-Sa emerged when on the Ute reservation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zitkala-Sa write a report entitled "Oklahoma's Poor Rich Indians" and what effect did it have on changes being made for the Osage Indians?
2. What was the dire situation Gertrude found when she returned to the Yankton Reservation after being gone for six years?
3. Why did Gertrude like living in Boston?
4. How did Zitkala-Sa reconnect with Carlos Montezuma in Boston?
5. What were the circumstances that had Zitkala-Sa sick, broke and exhausted?
6. Why were Zitkala-Sa and Raymond happy to move to Washington D.C.?
7. Why did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond travel for five months of 1917?
8. Explain how Zitkala-Sa's name meaning Red Bird symbolized both her life and afterlife.
9. Who did Zitkala-Sa marry and why did she choose him over Carlos Montezuma?
10. What was the main problem facing the Ute Indians?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)