|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zitkala-Sa's name meant _________________.
(a) red bird.
(b) black crow.
(c) little turtle.
(d) mourning dove.
2. Which one of Zitkala-Sa's former boyfriends started the Society of American Indians?
3. Zitkala-Sa's best memories were from living ____________________.
(a) in Indiana.
(b) in Boston.
(c) at the reservation.
(d) in Pennsylvania.
4. The Utes won a settlement from the U.S. government in the amount of ______________ for their land.
(a) $3 million.
(b) $1 million.
(c) $10 million.
(d) $50 million.
5. Who lived near the Indian village?
(a) White soldiers.
(b) White settlers.
(c) White missionaries.
(d) White robbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years have passed since Gertrude was home at the Yankton Reservation?
2. What was the name of the reservation where Zitkala-Sa and her husband lived in the state in #110?
3. To what state did Zitkala-Sa and her husband move after their marriage?
4. Why did David lose his job at the Indian Bureau?
5. What was the membership fee for Indians to belong to the National Council of American Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is peyote, and how did the Indians use it?
2. How did Zitkala-Sa's heritage, especially the Iktomi story, help equip her to manage in the white man's world?
3. Who was Carlos Montezuma and why did Zitkala-Sa not marry him?
4. Why was peyote legalized and why did Zitkala-Sa resign as secretary and treasurer of the Society of American Indians?
5. Why did Zitkala-Sa separate herself from the Ute Indians?
6. What major success did Zitkala-Sa have for the Ute Indians several years after her death and what was her legacy to other Indian rights activists who would come after her?
7. What conditions did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond find when they moved to Utah?
8. Why were Zitkala-Sa and Raymond happy to move to Washington D.C.?
9. Explain how Zitkala-Sa's name meaning Red Bird symbolized both her life and afterlife.
10. What prompted Gertrude to change her name to Zitkala-Sa?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)