|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which were the only Indians who received fertile land when the U.S. government divided up the tribal land?
(a) Those who were not ill.
(b) Those who had old people.
(c) Those who had little children.
(d) Those who accepted the white culture.
2. What role did Zitkala-Sa take on in the Society of American Indians?
(b) Board member.
(c) Public Relations agent.
3. How much land had the U.S. government taken from the Ute Indians?
(a) 2 million acres.
(b) 500,000 acres.
(c) 10 million acres.
(d) 50 million acres.
4. What did Zitkala-Sa hate about the white world?
5. Tate's family did not have _________________ for food.
(b) cooking utensils.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fib did Zitkala-Sa tell the government in Washington?
2. Zitkala-Sa died on January 26 in what year?
3. What part of Zitkala-Sa emerged when on the Ute reservation?
4. From which tribe did the young man in #98 come?
5. The Ute Indians had problems with drinking and __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is peyote, and how did the Indians use it?
2. Who did Zitkala-Sa marry and why did she choose him over Carlos Montezuma?
3. What was the dire situation Gertrude found when she returned to the Yankton Reservation after being gone for six years?
4. What was Zitkala-Sa's state of mind at the time of her death in 1938?
5. Why did Gertrude like living in Boston?
6. What did the U.S. government do with the tribal land and how did David fare in the action?
7. Explain how Zitkala-Sa's name meaning Red Bird symbolized both her life and afterlife.
8. Why was Zitkala-Sa so conflicted about where to live--Washington D.C. or the reservation?
9. How did Raymond fight for the Ute Indians?
10. Why was peyote legalized and why did Zitkala-Sa resign as secretary and treasurer of the Society of American Indians?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)