|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the character in #132 have to dance a sun dance in the opera?
(a) To insure luck on the buffalo hunt.
(b) To bring an end to the rains.
(c) To bring an abundant harvest.
(d) To prove his worthiness to his beloved.
2. Zitkala-Sa wanted to leave Washington D. C. and go ____________________.
(a) to Boston.
(b) back to the reservation.
(c) to Indiana.
(d) to the West coast.
3. What was the name of the reservation where Zitkala-Sa and her husband lived in the state in #110?
(a) Lakota Reservation.
(b) Yankton Reservation.
(c) Uintah Reservation.
(d) Colorado Reservation.
4. Who was the main character in Zitkala-Sa's opera?
5. In one example of how the whites swindled the Osage Indians, one woman was entitled to $15,000 a year but her white guardian gave her only __________ a week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zitkala-Sa was a trailblazer for ___________________.
2. Zitkala-Sa died on January 26 in what year?
3. Who was Ohiya?
4. From which tribe did the young man in #98 come?
5. Zitkala-Sa protested the use of peyote because ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompted Gertrude to change her name to Zitkala-Sa?
2. What troubles were created for Zitkala-Sa and Raymond's marriage by F. Baker, the Indian Bureau agent?
3. How did Zitkala-Sa's heritage, especially the Iktomi story, help equip her to manage in the white man's world?
4. Why did Gertrude like living in Boston?
5. Why did peyote represent a lack of control that Zitkala-Sa had in both her Indian and white worlds?
6. Who did Zitkala-Sa marry and why did she choose him over Carlos Montezuma?
7. What was the dire situation Gertrude found when she returned to the Yankton Reservation after being gone for six years?
8. What major success did Zitkala-Sa have for the Ute Indians several years after her death and what was her legacy to other Indian rights activists who would come after her?
9. What was Zitkala-Sa's opinion of peyote?
10. What conditions did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond find when they moved to Utah?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)