|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Zitkala-Sa love about the white world?
2. Why did David lose his job at the Indian Bureau?
(a) He was late too many times.
(b) He came in drunk after lunch one day.
(c) The job was given to a white man.
(d) He stole some money.
3. Zitkala-Sa was always reminded of which folklore character when dealing with the government?
(a) Brother Moon.
(b) Little Turtle.
4. Zitkala-Sa was a trailblazer for ___________________.
(c) indigent people.
(d) Indian rights.
5. What did Zitkala-Sa hate about her life in Utah?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gertrude and her husband headed to a reservation located in which state?
2. In what year did the U.S. government finally award the Utes their $3 million?
3. Which of the following was NOT true about Kitkala-Sa's opera?
4. What role did Zitkala-Sa take on in the Society of American Indians?
5. What was the name of the white settlement where Zitkala-Sa and her family lived in 1913?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did peyote represent a lack of control that Zitkala-Sa had in both her Indian and white worlds?
2. What was Zitkala-Sa's state of mind at the time of her death in 1938?
3. Explain the cultural conflict Zitkala-Sa experienced no matter where she was?
4. Why were Zitkala-Sa and Raymond happy to move to Washington D.C.?
5. What is peyote, and how did the Indians use it?
6. Who was Carlos Montezuma and why did Zitkala-Sa not marry him?
7. What did the U.S. government do with the tribal land and how did David fare in the action?
8. What was the plot of Zitkala-Sa's opera?
9. How did Raymond fight for the Ute Indians?
10. How did Zitkala-Sa's heritage, especially the Iktomi story, help equip her to manage in the white man's world?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)