|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the state of Zitkala-Sa and Raymond's financial situation?
(a) They were making more each year.
(b) They were comfortable.
(c) They were poor.
(d) They had plenty of money.
2. For how long did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond travel around in the chapter entitled, "Despair"?
(a) 5 months.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 18 months.
(d) 3 years.
3. Zitkala-Sa wanted peyote to be ____________________.
4. With whom did Zitkala-Sa collaborate on an opera?
(a) Joseph Samuels.
(b) James Hennigan.
(c) William Hanson.
(d) Edward Coates.
5. In her lifetime, Zitkala-Sa had difficulty with _________________.
(b) fitting in.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what city did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond return after their travels in "Despair"?
2. Gertrude wrote an article which appeared in which publication?
3. What did Zitkala-Sa hate about the white world?
4. Who lived near the Indian village?
5. What religion did Zitkala-Sa convert to during this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Zitkala-Sa's state of mind at the time of her death in 1938?
2. Why did peyote represent a lack of control that Zitkala-Sa had in both her Indian and white worlds?
3. What was the plot of Zitkala-Sa's opera?
4. Who did Zitkala-Sa marry and why did she choose him over Carlos Montezuma?
5. Explain how Zitkala-Sa's name meaning Red Bird symbolized both her life and afterlife.
6. How did Raymond fight for the Ute Indians?
7. What was the project Zitkala-Sa collaborated with William Hanson on in Vernal?
8. What were the conditions on the Uintah Reservation that Zitkala-Sa wanted to escape?
9. Why was Zitkala-Sa so conflicted about where to live--Washington D.C. or the reservation?
10. What prompted Gertrude to change her name to Zitkala-Sa?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)