|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Federal agents do to force the Indians to give up their children?
(a) Raped the women.
(b) Withheld money.
(c) Burned their villages.
(d) Withheld their food rations.
2. Who was the U.S. Army captain who wanted to remove Indian infants from their homes?
(a) Richard Henry Pratt.
(b) Robert James Starke.
(c) Edward Lee Bonifice.
(d) Philip Alan Bowman.
3. Gertrude attended the white man's school what timeframe?
4. What did the Indian children serve as when they were sent to live with white families?
(a) Foster children.
5. Why did Gertrude cry at the boarding school?
(a) She was tired.
(b) She wanted her mother.
(c) She was hungry.
(d) She was ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was David's wife?
2. Where did the Federal agent tell Gertrude the boarding school was located?
3. When did Gertrude realize she had made a mistake by going to the boarding school?
4. Until what time did the children at the boarding school have to work each night?
5. In 1897, Gertrude taught at the most famous Indian boarding school in America located in which state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did oral stories serve in the Indian society, and which story character did Gertrude like best?
2. Describe what you can recall about the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
3. Explain the symbolism of Lewis and Clark wrapping an Indian baby in an American flag.
4. How many times was Tate married, and how many children did she have?
5. How did the Indian children's loneliness exhibit with them physically?
6. Ironically, what did Gertrude do in 1891 when she returned to White's boarding school?
7. Explain the symbolism in the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
8. Why did Captain Richard Henry Pratt develop the idea to remove Indian infants from their homes and transfer them to the homes of white people and how did this plan extend into reality?
9. What shocked Gertrude about punishment meted out on Judewin for playing in the snow?
10. Why did the Indian children at the boarding school get sick and what happened to them during serious illnesses?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)