|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Tate have?
2. Where did the Federal agent tell Gertrude the boarding school was located?
(a) Red Apple Country.
(b) Sweet Grass Country.
(c) Maple Leaf Country.
(d) High Mountain Country.
3. A popular topic for Gertrude's speeches was __________________.
(a) Female equality.
(d) Indian rights.
4. Why did Gertrude cry on the train?
(a) Someone took her bag of possessions.
(b) She was getting the flu.
(c) She realized she had left her mother.
(d) She had a bad sunburn.
5. What did Tate teach Gertrude to do?
(a) Catch salmon.
(b) Trap small animals.
(d) Ride a horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1897, Gertrude taught at the most famous Indian boarding school in America located in which state?
2. Who was Judewin?
3. Which disease did Gertrude contract while at college?
4. What did the white hunter promise to give to Prairie Flower?
5. When did Gertrude realize she had made a mistake by going to the boarding school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the shocking experiences of Gertrude and the other children on the first day of school?
2. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
3. What was Gertrude's experience upon her arrival at the boarding school?
4. Ironically, what did Gertrude do in 1891 when she returned to White's boarding school?
5. What role did oral stories serve in the Indian society, and which story character did Gertrude like best?
6. Explain the symbolism in the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
7. What did the devil in the Bible stories symbolize for Gertrude?
8. How did the Indian children's loneliness exhibit with them physically?
9. In what ways did Tate show Gertrude how to be a strong woman?
10. How does the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk foreshadow Gertrude's life in white society?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)