|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which disease did Gertrude contract while at college?
(a) Scarlet Fever.
2. Which Indian chief was murdered on December 15, 1890?
(a) Sitting Bull.
(d) Crazy Horse.
3. Where did Gertrude hide to try to avoid getting her hair cut?
(a) Under a bed.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In the orchard.
(d) In the chapel.
4. In Indian society, the elders told stories to teach ______________ to the young people.
5. How many years has Gertrude been at the boarding school?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Indian children did not have immunity to ______________________.
2. A Quaker woman offered to pay for Gertrude's education at which school?
3. The U.S. government forced Tate to send David to _____________________.
4. What did Gertrude observe that was important to the Quaker teachers?
5. Why did Gertrude cry on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
2. How did Gertrude begin her fight for both women and Indian rights?
3. In what ways did Red Apple Country represent the white man's world to the Indian children?
4. What was Red Apple Country and what lies did the white men tell Gertrude about it?
5. What shocked Gertrude about punishment meted out on Judewin for playing in the snow?
6. How many times was Tate married, and how many children did she have?
7. Explain the symbolism in the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
8. Ironically, what did Gertrude do in 1891 when she returned to White's boarding school?
9. What sorts of punishment were handed out to the Indian children at the boarding school and how did Gertrude get revenge one day?
10. Why did the Indian children at the boarding school get sick and what happened to them during serious illnesses?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)