|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Gertrude cry on the train?
(a) She had a bad sunburn.
(b) She was getting the flu.
(c) Someone took her bag of possessions.
(d) She realized she had left her mother.
2. Until what time did the children at the boarding school have to work each night?
(a) 10 o'clock.
(b) 6 o'clock.
(c) 5 o'clock.
(d) 9 o'clock.
3. What was forbidden to the Indian children?
(a) Telling jokes.
(b) Drinking lemonade.
(c) Buying candy.
(d) Going home to see their parents.
4. What was the name of the boarding school?
(a) White's Christian Day School.
(b) White's School for Indian Integration.
(c) White's Manual Labor Institute.
(d) White's Boarding School.
5. Gertrude attended the white man's school what timeframe?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which state was the college in #84 located?
2. In Indian society, the elders told stories to teach ______________ to the young people.
3. Why did Gertrude cry at the boarding school?
4. According to Gertrude's mother, who were the only people who had their hair cut off?
5. How did Gertrude get revenge on the matron who ordered her to mash the item in #59?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
2. How many times was Tate married, and how many children did she have?
3. What was Gertrude's experience on the train headed to the boarding school?
4. Explain the symbolism of Lewis and Clark wrapping an Indian baby in an American flag.
5. Describe what daily life was like for the Indian children at the boarding school.
6. How was Gertrude able to attend college in Indiana?
7. How did the Indian children's loneliness exhibit with them physically?
8. What was Red Apple Country and what lies did the white men tell Gertrude about it?
9. What shocked Gertrude about punishment meted out on Judewin for playing in the snow?
10. What role did oral stories serve in the Indian society, and which story character did Gertrude like best?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)