|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gertrude was born on February 22 in what year?
2. Where did Gertrude hide to try to avoid getting her hair cut?
(a) In the chapel.
(b) In the orchard.
(c) Under a bed.
(d) In the cellar.
3. Which of the following was NOT something the government promised the Indians?
4. What were the children not allowed to wear at the boarding school?
5. What did the Indian children serve as when they were sent to live with white families?
(d) Foster children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the girls wear at the boarding school?
2. How did Gertrude travel to the boarding school?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe the character in #21?
4. Which of the following was NOT a behavior exhibited by the Indian children?
5. The U.S. government forced Tate to send David to _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Ironically, what did Gertrude do in 1891 when she returned to White's boarding school?
2. How does the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk foreshadow Gertrude's life in white society?
3. How was Gertrude able to attend college in Indiana?
4. What publication did Gertrude write for when she was 24, and what was the content of her article?
5. What is the premise of "The Flight of Red Bird: The Life of Zitkala-Sa"?
6. In what ways did Red Apple Country represent the white man's world to the Indian children?
7. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
8. Explain how the physical abuse of the Indian children was the beginning of Gertrude's rebellious nature and the beginning of her life as Zitkala-Sa.
9. Describe what you can recall about the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
10. What sorts of punishment were handed out to the Indian children at the boarding school and how did Gertrude get revenge one day?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)