|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the man in #24?
(a) Man of Little Ears.
(b) Man of Many Winters.
(c) Man of Empty Words.
(d) Man of Big Heart.
2. Gertrude enjoyed the stories about which Indian character?
3. At college, Gertrude won honors in which field?
4. How old is Gertrude in the chapter, "The Returned Student"?
5. On December 29, 1890, ______________ Indians were massacred at Wounded Knee.
(c) nearly 100.
(d) over 300.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Tate's son from her second marriage?
2. In 1897, Gertrude taught at the most famous Indian boarding school in America located in which state?
3. What is a tipi?
4. Which Indian chief was murdered on December 15, 1890?
5. Why did so many of the Indian children have chronic health problems or die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of "The Flight of Red Bird: The Life of Zitkala-Sa"?
2. How was Gertrude able to attend college in Indiana?
3. In what ways did Red Apple Country represent the white man's world to the Indian children?
4. What role did oral stories serve in the Indian society, and which story character did Gertrude like best?
5. How did the Indian children's loneliness exhibit with them physically?
6. How many times was Tate married, and how many children did she have?
7. Explain the symbolism in the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
8. What was Gertrude's experience upon her arrival at the boarding school?
9. What two tragic events occurred for Indian people in December of 1890?
10. Describe what you can recall about the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)