|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something the girls did at the boarding school?
(d) Made pottery.
2. Gertrude enjoyed the stories about which Indian character?
3. What was the only way the staff could cut Gertrude's hair?
(a) They threatened to starve her.
(b) They waited until she was asleep.
(c) They sedated her.
(d) They tied her to a chair.
4. Gertrude had a bad dream in which _________________ came to get Tate and her guest.
(a) the soldiers.
(b) the headmaster.
(d) the devil.
5. Why did Gertrude cry at the boarding school?
(a) She wanted her mother.
(b) She was ill.
(c) She was tired.
(d) She was hungry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was forbidden to the Indian children?
2. What was the name of the Indian agency where Tate and the others received their government food rations?
3. What was the name of the man in #24?
4. The Indian children did not have immunity to ______________________.
5. The Yankton Indians were part of which Indian nation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Raymond fight for the Ute Indians?
2. In what ways did Red Apple Country represent the white man's world to the Indian children?
3. How many times was Tate married, and how many children did she have?
4. What was the plot of Zitkala-Sa's opera?
5. How was Gertrude able to attend college in Indiana?
6. Why did Captain Richard Henry Pratt develop the idea to remove Indian infants from their homes and transfer them to the homes of white people and how did this plan extend into reality?
7. Explain how the physical abuse of the Indian children was the beginning of Gertrude's rebellious nature and the beginning of her life as Zitkala-Sa.
8. What troubles were created for Zitkala-Sa and Raymond's marriage by F. Baker, the Indian Bureau agent?
9. Explain the symbolism of Lewis and Clark wrapping an Indian baby in an American flag.
10. What was the dire situation Gertrude found when she returned to the Yankton Reservation after being gone for six years?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)