|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Gertrude return to teach in 1891?
(a) Washington school.
(b) Apple Valley school.
(c) White's boarding school.
(d) The Yankton reservation.
2. Who was Prairie Flower's ill husband?
(a) Wise Owl.
(b) Red Bird.
(c) Cloud Elk.
(d) Moving Wind.
3. What animals were slaughtered by the white hunters?
4. According to Gertrude's mother, who were the only people who had their hair cut off?
(a) Captured white men.
(b) Little boys.
(c) Unskilled warriors.
(d) White women.
5. How many marriages did Tate have with white men?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the devil in Gertrude's dream symbolize?
2. What did Gertrude become at the age of 17?
3. What happened to Gertrude when she got on the train?
4. Who was David's wife?
5. What did some of the children at the boarding school sneak out to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What publication did Gertrude write for when she was 24, and what was the content of her article?
2. Describe what daily life was like for the Indian children at the boarding school.
3. Explain the symbolism of Lewis and Clark wrapping an Indian baby in an American flag.
4. Ironically, what did Gertrude do in 1891 when she returned to White's boarding school?
5. What was Gertrude's experience on the train headed to the boarding school?
6. How did the Indian children's loneliness exhibit with them physically?
7. What role did oral stories serve in the Indian society, and which story character did Gertrude like best?
8. Why did Gertrude experience an identity crisis in her pre-teen years?
9. Describe what you can recall about the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
10. What were some of the shocking experiences of Gertrude and the other children on the first day of school?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)