|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Yankton Indians were part of which Indian nation?
2. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
(a) Picked unripe apples.
(b) Flirted with the boys.
(c) Played in the snow.
(d) Wasted their food.
3. What was the name of the man in #24?
(a) Man of Empty Words.
(b) Man of Little Ears.
(c) Man of Big Heart.
(d) Man of Many Winters.
4. Until what time did the children at the boarding school have to work each night?
(a) 5 o'clock.
(b) 10 o'clock.
(c) 9 o'clock.
(d) 6 o'clock.
5. In which state was the college in #84 located?
(a) South Dakota.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children slept in each bed at the boarding house?
2. Gertrude's playmates at the boarding school were Judewin and _____________.
3. What last name was given to Gertrude?
4. Like many Indian children who attended boarding school, Gertrude suffered __________________.
5. How many marriages did Tate have with white men?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did Tate show Gertrude how to be a strong woman?
2. Why was peyote legalized and why did Zitkala-Sa resign as secretary and treasurer of the Society of American Indians?
3. Explain how the physical abuse of the Indian children was the beginning of Gertrude's rebellious nature and the beginning of her life as Zitkala-Sa.
4. What did Gertrude recall about what her mother said about people who had their hair cut off and what did Gertrude do to try to avoid losing her own hair?
5. Describe what daily life was like for the Indian children at the boarding school.
6. What did the U.S. government do with the tribal land and how did David fare in the action?
7. Why were Zitkala-Sa and Raymond happy to move to Washington D.C.?
8. Why did Zitkala-Sa write a report entitled "Oklahoma's Poor Rich Indians" and what effect did it have on changes being made for the Osage Indians?
9. Explain the symbolism in the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
10. Why did Gertrude like living in Boston?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)