|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What image did Gertrude scratch out in the Bible?
(a) God descending on clouds.
(b) The devil's eyes.
(c) Jesus with the little children.
(d) Moses parting the Red Sea.
2. How many children did Tate have?
3. What did Tate say when Gertrude decided to go to the boarding school?
(a) You will be back soon.
(c) The white man is a liar.
(d) I will never see you again.
4. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
(a) Played in the snow.
(b) Wasted their food.
(c) Picked unripe apples.
(d) Flirted with the boys.
5. What is a tiyospaye?
(a) An enemy.
(b) A social unit.
(c) A headpiece.
(d) A tool.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Federal agents took away Indian children as young as ___________________.
2. The baby in #13 grew up to sign a treaty with the U.S. government to give away how much Indian land?
3. What last name was given to Gertrude?
4. How many years has Gertrude been at the boarding school?
5. Who was Judewin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the shocking experiences of Gertrude and the other children on the first day of school?
2. How did the Indian children's loneliness exhibit with them physically?
3. Describe what you can recall about the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
4. What did Gertrude recall about what her mother said about people who had their hair cut off and what did Gertrude do to try to avoid losing her own hair?
5. What publication did Gertrude write for when she was 24, and what was the content of her article?
6. What was Red Apple Country and what lies did the white men tell Gertrude about it?
7. Why did Captain Richard Henry Pratt develop the idea to remove Indian infants from their homes and transfer them to the homes of white people and how did this plan extend into reality?
8. What shocked Gertrude about punishment meted out on Judewin for playing in the snow?
9. What was Gertrude's experience on the train headed to the boarding school?
10. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)