|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tate teach Gertrude to do?
(b) Catch salmon.
(c) Trap small animals.
(d) Ride a horse.
2. What is a tipi?
(a) A white man.
(b) A bird.
(c) A canoe.
(d) An Indian shelter.
3. What was Gertrude ordered to mash one day?
(c) Sweet potatoes.
4. When did Gertrude realize she had made a mistake by going to the boarding school?
(a) On the carriage ride.
(b) During her first night there.
(c) During the first weekend.
(d) When she was on the train.
5. The baby in #13 grew up to sign a treaty with the U.S. government to give away how much Indian land?
(a) 2 million acres.
(b) 500,000 acres.
(c) 5 acres.
(d) 11 million acres.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state was Gertrude's second boarding school located?
2. Where did Gertrude return to teach in 1891?
3. What did Gertrude observe that was important to the Quaker teachers?
4. The Indian children did not have immunity to ______________________.
5. Who is Tate?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did Tate show Gertrude how to be a strong woman?
2. Explain how the physical abuse of the Indian children was the beginning of Gertrude's rebellious nature and the beginning of her life as Zitkala-Sa.
3. How did the Indian children's loneliness exhibit with them physically?
4. Why did Captain Richard Henry Pratt develop the idea to remove Indian infants from their homes and transfer them to the homes of white people and how did this plan extend into reality?
5. What did Gertrude recall about what her mother said about people who had their hair cut off and what did Gertrude do to try to avoid losing her own hair?
6. Why did the Indian children at the boarding school get sick and what happened to them during serious illnesses?
7. Ironically, what did Gertrude do in 1891 when she returned to White's boarding school?
8. What sorts of punishment were handed out to the Indian children at the boarding school and how did Gertrude get revenge one day?
9. What two tragic events occurred for Indian people in December of 1890?
10. Explain the symbolism in the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)