|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the devil in Gertrude's dream symbolize?
(a) The white man.
(b) Her father.
(c) The headmaster.
(d) The president.
2. What was the name of the boarding school?
(a) White's Boarding School.
(b) White's School for Indian Integration.
(c) White's Christian Day School.
(d) White's Manual Labor Institute.
3. What did the Indian children serve as when they were sent to live with white families?
(b) Foster children.
4. According to Gertrude's mother, who were the only people who had their hair cut off?
(a) Unskilled warriors.
(b) Little boys.
(c) White women.
(d) Captured white men.
5. What last name was given to Gertrude?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the people in #12 wrap a newborn baby in during their visit with Tate's tribe?
2. The U.S. government forced Tate to send David to _____________________.
3. A white woman tossed Gertrude around like ______________.
4. What is the meaning of Zitkala-Sa?
5. What did the headmistress do to Totowin for playing in the snow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Gertrude's experience upon her arrival at the boarding school?
2. What two tragic events occurred for Indian people in December of 1890?
3. How does the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk foreshadow Gertrude's life in white society?
4. What publication did Gertrude write for when she was 24, and what was the content of her article?
5. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
6. Why did Captain Richard Henry Pratt develop the idea to remove Indian infants from their homes and transfer them to the homes of white people and how did this plan extend into reality?
7. What was Red Apple Country and what lies did the white men tell Gertrude about it?
8. Describe what you can recall about the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
9. How did Gertrude begin her fight for both women and Indian rights?
10. Why did Gertrude experience an identity crisis in her pre-teen years?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)