|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which state was the college in #84 located?
(b) South Dakota.
2. How many marriages did Tate have with white men?
3. What is a tipi?
(a) An Indian shelter.
(b) A bird.
(c) A white man.
(d) A canoe.
4. How did the boarding school make money off the Indian children?
(a) They made them sew blankets.
(b) They sold their braids.
(c) They made them perform native dances.
(d) They made them bead moccasins.
5. Where was the boarding school located?
(a) Wabash, Indiana.
(b) Indianapolis, Indiana.
(c) Portland, Indiana.
(d) Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was forbidden to the Indian children?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe the character in #21?
3. Where did the Federal agent tell Gertrude the boarding school was located?
4. What did Tate say when Gertrude decided to go to the boarding school?
5. What image did Gertrude scratch out in the Bible?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the physical abuse of the Indian children was the beginning of Gertrude's rebellious nature and the beginning of her life as Zitkala-Sa.
2. How many times was Tate married, and how many children did she have?
3. Describe what daily life was like for the Indian children at the boarding school.
4. How did Gertrude begin her fight for both women and Indian rights?
5. Explain the symbolism of Lewis and Clark wrapping an Indian baby in an American flag.
6. What was Gertrude's experience on the train headed to the boarding school?
7. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
8. Why did the Indian children at the boarding school get sick and what happened to them during serious illnesses?
9. What did Gertrude recall about what her mother said about people who had their hair cut off and what did Gertrude do to try to avoid losing her own hair?
10. Why did Captain Richard Henry Pratt develop the idea to remove Indian infants from their homes and transfer them to the homes of white people and how did this plan extend into reality?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)