|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the U.S. Army captain who wanted to remove Indian infants from their homes?
(a) Philip Alan Bowman.
(b) Richard Henry Pratt.
(c) Edward Lee Bonifice.
(d) Robert James Starke.
2. Which Indian chief was murdered on December 15, 1890?
(a) Sitting Bull.
(b) Crazy Horse.
3. What last name was given to Gertrude?
4. What was forbidden to the Indian children?
(a) Drinking lemonade.
(b) Buying candy.
(c) Telling jokes.
(d) Going home to see their parents.
5. Why did Gertrude cry on the train?
(a) She had a bad sunburn.
(b) She realized she had left her mother.
(c) She was getting the flu.
(d) Someone took her bag of possessions.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1897, Gertrude taught at the most famous Indian boarding school in America located in which state?
2. A Quaker woman offered to pay for Gertrude's education at which school?
3. What did the cutting of Gertrude's braids symbolize?
4. Which disease did Gertrude contract while at college?
5. A white woman tossed Gertrude around like ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbolism of Lewis and Clark wrapping an Indian baby in an American flag.
2. What did Gertrude recall about what her mother said about people who had their hair cut off and what did Gertrude do to try to avoid losing her own hair?
3. What was Gertrude's experience upon her arrival at the boarding school?
4. Describe what you can recall about the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
5. Explain the symbolism in the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
6. Ironically, what did Gertrude do in 1891 when she returned to White's boarding school?
7. In what ways did Red Apple Country represent the white man's world to the Indian children?
8. What two tragic events occurred for Indian people in December of 1890?
9. Describe what daily life was like for the Indian children at the boarding school.
10. Why did the Indian children at the boarding school get sick and what happened to them during serious illnesses?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)