|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role did Cloud Elk have in the tribe?
(b) Medicine man.
2. The Federal agent told Gertrude that she could have as much as she wanted of what?
3. What is a tiyospaye?
(a) A tool.
(b) A headpiece.
(c) An enemy.
(d) A social unit.
4. What was Gertrude's last name as a girl?
5. Until what time did the children at the boarding school have to work each night?
(a) 6 o'clock.
(b) 10 o'clock.
(c) 5 o'clock.
(d) 9 o'clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of Zitkala-Sa?
2. How many children did Tate have?
3. Who stared at Gertrude and the other Indian children?
4. How did Gertrude travel to the boarding school?
5. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ironically, what did Gertrude do in 1891 when she returned to White's boarding school?
2. How did Raymond fight for the Ute Indians?
3. Why did Captain Richard Henry Pratt develop the idea to remove Indian infants from their homes and transfer them to the homes of white people and how did this plan extend into reality?
4. What role did oral stories serve in the Indian society, and which story character did Gertrude like best?
5. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
6. Why did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond travel for five months of 1917?
7. Why did Gertrude experience an identity crisis in her pre-teen years?
8. What was Gertrude's experience on the train headed to the boarding school?
9. In what ways did Red Apple Country represent the white man's world to the Indian children?
10. Why did peyote represent a lack of control that Zitkala-Sa had in both her Indian and white worlds?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)