|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gertrude observe that was important to the Quaker teachers?
(a) Female equality.
(b) Religious fervor.
(d) Higher education.
2. Gertrude had a bad dream in which _________________ came to get Tate and her guest.
(b) the soldiers.
(c) the headmaster.
(d) the devil.
3. In which state was the college in #84 located?
(b) South Dakota.
4. How many children did Tate have?
5. The U.S. government forced Tate to send David to _____________________.
(a) a hospital.
(c) boarding school.
(d) another reservation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the white hunter promise to give to Prairie Flower?
2. How old is Gertrude in the chapter, "The Returned Student"?
3. In what state was Gertrude's second boarding school located?
4. What was Gertrude ordered to mash one day?
5. What did Tate say when Gertrude decided to go to the boarding school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the devil in the Bible stories symbolize for Gertrude?
2. Explain how the physical abuse of the Indian children was the beginning of Gertrude's rebellious nature and the beginning of her life as Zitkala-Sa.
3. Ironically, what did Gertrude do in 1891 when she returned to White's boarding school?
4. What were some of the shocking experiences of Gertrude and the other children on the first day of school?
5. Why did the Indian children at the boarding school get sick and what happened to them during serious illnesses?
6. In what ways did Red Apple Country represent the white man's world to the Indian children?
7. Describe what daily life was like for the Indian children at the boarding school.
8. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
9. What sorts of punishment were handed out to the Indian children at the boarding school and how did Gertrude get revenge one day?
10. What did Gertrude recall about what her mother said about people who had their hair cut off and what did Gertrude do to try to avoid losing her own hair?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)