|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Until what time did the children at the boarding school have to work each night?
(a) 10 o'clock.
(b) 9 o'clock.
(c) 5 o'clock.
(d) 6 o'clock.
2. Who was David's wife?
3. What did the headmistress do to Totowin for playing in the snow?
(a) She made her wash dishes.
(b) She withheld her supper.
(c) She sent her to her room.
(d) She beat her.
4. What were the children not allowed to wear at the boarding school?
5. What image did Gertrude scratch out in the Bible?
(a) God descending on clouds.
(b) Jesus with the little children.
(c) Moses parting the Red Sea.
(d) The devil's eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Gertrude hide to try to avoid getting her hair cut?
2. Why did so many of the Indian children have chronic health problems or die?
3. Which of the following was NOT a behavior exhibited by the Indian children?
4. Which disease did Gertrude contract while at college?
5. What was forbidden to the Indian children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Indian children's loneliness exhibit with them physically?
2. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
3. What is the premise of "The Flight of Red Bird: The Life of Zitkala-Sa"?
4. How many times was Tate married, and how many children did she have?
5. Describe what you can recall about the story of Prairie Flower and Cloud Elk.
6. What did Gertrude recall about what her mother said about people who had their hair cut off and what did Gertrude do to try to avoid losing her own hair?
7. What two tragic events occurred for Indian people in December of 1890?
8. In what ways did Tate show Gertrude how to be a strong woman?
9. Was Gertrude conflicted while experiencing an identity crisis as a girl?
10. Describe what daily life was like for the Indian children at the boarding school.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)