|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was forbidden to the Indian children?
(a) Going home to see their parents.
(b) Drinking lemonade.
(c) Telling jokes.
(d) Buying candy.
2. The Federal agents took away Indian children as young as ___________________.
3. Gertrude attended the white man's school what timeframe?
4. Which of the following was NOT something the government promised the Indians?
5. Who was Judewin?
(a) Gertrude's mother.
(b) Gertrude's grandmother.
(c) Gertrude's sister.
(d) Gertrude's friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the devil in Gertrude's dream symbolize?
2. In which state was the college in #84 located?
3. Who was Prairie Flower's ill husband?
4. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
5. At the boarding school, there were cruel and unusual punishments such as whippings and ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the shocking experiences of Gertrude and the other children on the first day of school?
2. Explain the symbolism of Lewis and Clark wrapping an Indian baby in an American flag.
3. What is peyote, and how did the Indians use it?
4. Why did peyote represent a lack of control that Zitkala-Sa had in both her Indian and white worlds?
5. What were the circumstances that had Zitkala-Sa sick, broke and exhausted?
6. How did Raymond fight for the Ute Indians?
7. Ironically, what did Gertrude do in 1891 when she returned to White's boarding school?
8. How did Zitkala-Sa's heritage, especially the Iktomi story, help equip her to manage in the white man's world?
9. What was Zitkala-Sa's opinion of peyote?
10. How was Gertrude able to attend college in Indiana?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)