|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Gertrude return home from the second boarding school?
2. What is a tipi?
(a) An Indian shelter.
(b) A canoe.
(c) A white man.
(d) A bird.
3. The Yankton Indians were part of which Indian nation?
4. Who was the U.S. Army captain who wanted to remove Indian infants from their homes?
(a) Robert James Starke.
(b) Richard Henry Pratt.
(c) Philip Alan Bowman.
(d) Edward Lee Bonifice.
5. What last name was given to Gertrude?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the man in #24?
2. How old is Gertrude in the chapter, "The Returned Student"?
3. The Federal agents took away Indian children as young as ___________________.
4. Gertrude's playmates at the boarding school were Judewin and _____________.
5. The older boys at the school worked as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did Tate show Gertrude how to be a strong woman?
2. How did the Indian children's loneliness exhibit with them physically?
3. What did the devil in the Bible stories symbolize for Gertrude?
4. Ironically, what did Gertrude do in 1891 when she returned to White's boarding school?
5. How was Gertrude able to attend college in Indiana?
6. What sorts of punishment were handed out to the Indian children at the boarding school and how did Gertrude get revenge one day?
7. Was Gertrude conflicted while experiencing an identity crisis as a girl?
8. What was Gertrude's experience on the train headed to the boarding school?
9. Explain the symbolism of Lewis and Clark wrapping an Indian baby in an American flag.
10. Explain how the physical abuse of the Indian children was the beginning of Gertrude's rebellious nature and the beginning of her life as Zitkala-Sa.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)