|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Federal agents do to force the Indians to give up their children?
(a) Withheld money.
(b) Withheld their food rations.
(c) Burned their villages.
(d) Raped the women.
2. Who was the U.S. Army captain who wanted to remove Indian infants from their homes?
(a) Philip Alan Bowman.
(b) Edward Lee Bonifice.
(c) Robert James Starke.
(d) Richard Henry Pratt.
3. What did the devil in Gertrude's dream symbolize?
(a) The white man.
(b) The headmaster.
(c) Her father.
(d) The president.
4. According to Gertrude's mother, who were the only people who had their hair cut off?
(a) White women.
(b) Captured white men.
(c) Little boys.
(d) Unskilled warriors.
5. What did some of the children at the boarding school sneak out to do?
(a) Pick apples.
(b) Post letters.
(c) Went to town.
(d) Swim in the creek.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being home with her mother for ________________, Gertrude went to another boarding school.
2. Which disease did Gertrude contract while at college?
3. Like many Indian children who attended boarding school, Gertrude suffered __________________.
4. Gertrude's playmates at the boarding school were Judewin and _____________.
5. Which of the following did Gertrude NOT do during her happy Summer days?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gertrude Bonnin get her name, and what would she change it to later in her life?
2. Why did Gertrude experience an identity crisis in her pre-teen years?
3. How many times was Tate married, and how many children did she have?
4. What did the devil in the Bible stories symbolize for Gertrude?
5. In what ways did Tate show Gertrude how to be a strong woman?
6. Why did the Indian children at the boarding school get sick and what happened to them during serious illnesses?
7. What was Gertrude's experience upon her arrival at the boarding school?
8. How did Gertrude begin her fight for both women and Indian rights?
9. What shocked Gertrude about punishment meted out on Judewin for playing in the snow?
10. Describe what daily life was like for the Indian children at the boarding school.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)