|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gertrude and her husband headed to a reservation located in which state?
2. How did Zitkala-Sa feel about the Ute reservation?
(a) It frightened her.
(b) It made her happy.
(c) It dissatisfied her.
(d) It pleased her.
3. How many years have passed since Gertrude was home at the Yankton Reservation?
4. To what city did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond return after their travels in "Despair"?
(a) Washington D.C.
(b) New York.
5. What fib did Zitkala-Sa tell the government in Washington?
(a) Her mother was killed by white soldiers.
(b) Her little brother was massacred at Wounded Knee.
(c) Her mother was captured by the Sioux Indians.
(d) Her father was full-blooded Indian.
6. What happened to the land belonging to Indians who were murdered?
(a) It was given to white guardians.
(b) It was given to white settlers.
(c) It was given to their families.
(d) It was given to Negro slaves.
7. With whom did Zitkala-Sa collaborate on an opera?
(a) Edward Coates.
(b) Joseph Samuels.
(c) James Hennigan.
(d) William Hanson.
8. What did Mormon families come to the white settlement to see?
(a) The Indians.
(b) Farm implements.
(c) Indian housing.
(d) An opera.
9. Zitkala-Sa's name meant _________________.
(a) black crow.
(b) mourning dove.
(c) little turtle.
(d) red bird.
10. How old is Gertrude in the chapter, "A Second Visit Home"?
11. What was Zitkala-Sa's husband's name?
12. What role did Zitkala-Sa take on in the Society of American Indians?
(b) Board member.
(c) Public Relations agent.
13. Which Indians were the richest people in the world?
(a) The Dakotas.
(b) The Potawatomis.
(c) The Crees.
(d) The Osages.
14. What problem did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond have with Ohiya's children when they took them in?
(a) They had no formal schooling.
(b) They were malnourished.
(c) They had no table manners.
(d) They were too out of control.
15. At which school did Gertrude study music?
(a) New York Arts Academy.
(b) The Julliard School.
(c) Boston Conservatory.
(d) Cincinnati Conservatory of the Arts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the state of Zitkala-Sa and Raymond's financial situation?
2. Which one of Zitkala-Sa's former boyfriends started the Society of American Indians?
3. Which of the following was NOT a use for peyote among the Indians?
4. Zitkala-Sa told the government that Sitting Bull was her ___________________.
5. Zitkala-Sa's best memories were from living ____________________.
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)