|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tate's family did not have _________________ for food.
(a) cooking utensils.
2. How did Zitkala-Sa feel about the Ute reservation?
(a) It made her happy.
(b) It frightened her.
(c) It dissatisfied her.
(d) It pleased her.
3. The Utes won a settlement from the U.S. government in the amount of ______________ for their land.
(a) $1 million.
(b) $10 million.
(c) $50 million.
(d) $3 million.
4. From which tribe did the young man in #98 come?
5. What did Raymond want the government to give to the Utes?
(a) Food for the land they took.
(b) Money for the land they took.
(c) Housing for the land they took.
(d) Buffalo for the land they took.
6. Which were the only Indians who received fertile land when the U.S. government divided up the tribal land?
(a) Those who were not ill.
(b) Those who had little children.
(c) Those who accepted the white culture.
(d) Those who had old people.
7. With whom did Zitkala-Sa collaborate on an opera?
(a) William Hanson.
(b) James Hennigan.
(c) Joseph Samuels.
(d) Edward Coates.
8. Why did Zitkala-Sa not attend the last hearing regarding the Osage Indians?
(a) She was afraid of being murdered.
(b) She was too ill.
(c) She had a scheduling conflict.
(d) It was too far to travel.
9. In what year did the U.S. government finally award the Utes their $3 million?
10. Who wrote the document entitled "Oklahoma's Poor Rich Indians"?
(a) Zitkala-Sa and Raymond.
(b) Zitkala-Sa and others.
(c) Richard Henry Pratt.
11. Which of the following is NOT something which Gertrude needed?
(a) City Life.
12. Zitkala-Sa was a trailblazer for ___________________.
(b) Indian rights.
(c) indigent people.
13. How old was Zitkala-Sa's son in the chapter, "Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Bonnin"?
14. Who did Gertrude marry when she was 26?
(a) Robert Lopez.
(b) Raymond Telephause Bonnin.
(c) Thomas Marshall.
(d) Carlos Montezuma.
15. Why did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond travel around in the chapter entitled, "Despair"?
(a) They were covering the West for a Boston publication.
(b) They looked for some land to purchase.
(c) They looked for a good place to start a school.
(d) They documented Indian injustices.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the membership fee for Indians to belong to the National Council of American Indians?
2. What was peyote?
3. Gertrude wrote an article which appeared in which publication?
4. Ruthless men swindled money from the Utes by selling __________________-.
5. Who lived near the Indian village?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)