|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gertrude wrote an article which appeared in which publication?
(a) Atlantic Monthly.
(b) New York Post.
(c) The Boston Globe.
(d) The New Yorker.
2. Why did David lose his job at the Indian Bureau?
(a) The job was given to a white man.
(b) He came in drunk after lunch one day.
(c) He was late too many times.
(d) He stole some money.
3. To what city did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond return after their travels in "Despair"?
(b) Washington D.C.
(c) New York.
4. How old is Gertrude in the chapter, "A Second Visit Home"?
5. Which of the following was NOT true about Kitkala-Sa's opera?
(a) Indians danced in the dance scene.
(b) It was performed in Indiana.
(c) Indians donated costumes.
(d) It had Indian lyrics.
6. Tate's family did not have _________________ for food.
(c) cooking utensils.
7. Zitkala-Sa was always reminded of which folklore character when dealing with the government?
(c) Little Turtle.
(d) Brother Moon.
8. Zitkala-Sa told the government that Sitting Bull was her ___________________.
9. How many children did Ohiya have?
10. What lie did the Indian Bureau agent tell about Raymond?
(a) That he gambled his money away.
(b) That he stole food from the bureau.
(c) That he was a drunk.
(d) That he beat Zitkala-Sa.
11. What part of Zitkala-Sa emerged when on the Ute reservation?
(a) Her Sioux identity.
(b) Her maternal identity.
(c) Her female identity.
(d) Her white identity.
12. Where did Zitkala-Sa long to live?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A reservation.
(c) A city.
(d) A beach area.
13. What did Zitkala-Sa hate about her life in Utah?
14. What role did Zitkala-Sa take on in the Society of American Indians?
(a) Public Relations agent.
(c) Board member.
15. Gertrude received recognition with performances using which musical instrument?
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond have with Ohiya's children when they took them in?
2. Which city did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond move to which made them both happy?
3. The Utes won a settlement from the U.S. government in the amount of ______________ for their land.
4. What fib did Zitkala-Sa tell the government in Washington?
5. Zitkala-Sa died on January 26 in what year?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)