|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what city did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond return after their travels in "Despair"?
(c) Washington D.C.
(d) New York.
2. How did Gertrude sign the article that appeared in the publication in #103?
(a) Gertrude Bonnin.
(c) Red Bird.
(d) G. Bonnin.
3. What fib did Zitkala-Sa tell the government in Washington?
(a) Her mother was captured by the Sioux Indians.
(b) Her little brother was massacred at Wounded Knee.
(c) Her father was full-blooded Indian.
(d) Her mother was killed by white soldiers.
4. Why did the character in #132 have to dance a sun dance in the opera?
(a) To bring an end to the rains.
(b) To prove his worthiness to his beloved.
(c) To insure luck on the buffalo hunt.
(d) To bring an abundant harvest.
5. Which of the following is NOT something the white men did to the Osage Indians?
(a) They kept their money.
(b) They forced them to live in extreme poverty.
(c) They stole their money.
(d) They returned a parcel of their land.
6. Who was the main character in Zitkala-Sa's opera?
7. How old is Gertrude in the chapter, "A Second Visit Home"?
8. Ohiya's children can be described as ______________ in this chapter.
9. Who was the greedy agent at the Indian Bureau with whom Raymond had trouble?
(a) F. Barker.
(b) F. Baker.
(c) F. Bolton.
(d) F. Bowen.
10. Gertrude and her husband headed to a reservation located in which state?
11. What did Mormon families come to the white settlement to see?
(a) Farm implements.
(b) Indian housing.
(c) The Indians.
(d) An opera.
12. In what year did the U.S. government finally award the Utes their $3 million?
13. Who was the young man who became engaged to Gertrude when she returned to Pennsylvania in 1897?
(a) Thomas Miller.
(b) Thomas Marshall.
(c) Thomas Martin.
(d) Thomas Mulgrove.
14. In what state was the school in #139 located?
15. Who wrote the document entitled "Oklahoma's Poor Rich Indians"?
(a) Zitkala-Sa and Raymond.
(b) Zitkala-Sa and others.
(d) Richard Henry Pratt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Ohiya?
2. Who testified on Zitkala-Sa's behalf before a senate sub-committee?
3. What was the state of Zitkala-Sa and Raymond's financial situation?
4. Why did Zitkala-Sa resign her position of secretary-treasurer of the Society of American Indians?
5. Zitkala-Sa protested the use of peyote because ________________________.
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)