|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Zitkala-Sa's separate herself from the Ute Indians?
(a) She did not speak their language.
(b) There were tribal differences.
(c) She still wanted things like books and music.
(d) She did not practice their religion.
2. What did Raymond want the government to give to the Utes?
(a) Food for the land they took.
(b) Housing for the land they took.
(c) Money for the land they took.
(d) Buffalo for the land they took.
3. Who testified on Zitkala-Sa's behalf before a senate sub-committee?
(a) Richard Henry Pratt.
(b) Clayton Edward Hall.
(c) James Allan Michener.
(d) Samuel Edward Pruitt.
4. What did Zitkala-Sa love about the white world?
5. What city did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond move to after their son went away to boarding school?
(a) New York.
6. Gertrude and her husband headed to a reservation located in which state?
7. What part of Zitkala-Sa emerged when on the Ute reservation?
(a) Her maternal identity.
(b) Her Sioux identity.
(c) Her white identity.
(d) Her female identity.
8. Zitkala-Sa's best memories were from living ____________________.
(a) at the reservation.
(b) in Boston.
(c) in Pennsylvania.
(d) in Indiana.
9. Zitkala-Sa protested the use of peyote because ________________________.
(a) it was toxic.
(b) it was easy to get.
(c) it was addictive.
(d) it caused cancer.
10. Which of the following is NOT something the white men did to the Osage Indians?
(a) They returned a parcel of their land.
(b) They kept their money.
(c) They stole their money.
(d) They forced them to live in extreme poverty.
11. How did Zitkala-Sa feel about the Ute reservation?
(a) It pleased her.
(b) It made her happy.
(c) It frightened her.
(d) It dissatisfied her.
12. To what state did Zitkala-Sa and her husband move after their marriage?
13. How did Gertrude sign the article that appeared in the publication in #103?
(a) G. Bonnin.
(b) Red Bird.
(d) Gertrude Bonnin.
14. For how long did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond travel around in the chapter entitled, "Despair"?
(a) 5 months.
(b) 18 months.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 1 year.
15. Why did Zitkala-Sa resign her position of secretary-treasurer of the Society of American Indians?
(a) She was too ill to serve.
(b) She had more creative pursuits now.
(c) They elected a peyote majority leader.
(d) Her family required more of her time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Indian doctor who wanted to marry Gertrude in Boston?
2. Ruthless men swindled money from the Utes by selling __________________-.
3. Who wrote the document entitled "Oklahoma's Poor Rich Indians"?
4. Gertrude wrote an article which appeared in which publication?
5. What problem did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond have with Ohiya's children when they took them in?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)