|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what state did Zitkala-Sa and her husband move after their marriage?
2. Zitkala-Sa protested the use of peyote because ________________________.
(a) it was easy to get.
(b) it was toxic.
(c) it was addictive.
(d) it caused cancer.
3. Which of the following is NOT something which Gertrude needed?
(b) City Life.
4. Which one of Zitkala-Sa's former boyfriends started the Society of American Indians?
5. What was the name of the white settlement where Zitkala-Sa and her family lived in 1913?
6. How much land had the U.S. government taken from the Ute Indians?
(a) 2 million acres.
(b) 10 million acres.
(c) 50 million acres.
(d) 500,000 acres.
7. Why did Zitkala-Sa resign her position of secretary-treasurer of the Society of American Indians?
(a) They elected a peyote majority leader.
(b) Her family required more of her time.
(c) She had more creative pursuits now.
(d) She was too ill to serve.
8. What happened to the land belonging to Indians who were murdered?
(a) It was given to Negro slaves.
(b) It was given to white guardians.
(c) It was given to their families.
(d) It was given to white settlers.
9. Which Indians were the richest people in the world?
(a) The Osages.
(b) The Dakotas.
(c) The Crees.
(d) The Potawatomis.
10. What was peyote?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A house.
(c) A small cactus.
(d) A canoe.
11. Gertrude and her husband headed to a reservation located in which state?
12. Which were the only Indians who received fertile land when the U.S. government divided up the tribal land?
(a) Those who were not ill.
(b) Those who had old people.
(c) Those who accepted the white culture.
(d) Those who had little children.
13. What was the membership fee for Indians to belong to the National Council of American Indians?
14. Gertrude wrote an article which appeared in which publication?
(a) The Boston Globe.
(b) New York Post.
(c) Atlantic Monthly.
(d) The New Yorker.
15. Who wrote the document entitled "Oklahoma's Poor Rich Indians"?
(b) Zitkala-Sa and others.
(c) Zitkala-Sa and Raymond.
(d) Richard Henry Pratt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the character in #132 have to dance a sun dance in the opera?
2. What did Mormon families come to the white settlement to see?
3. In one example of how the whites swindled the Osage Indians, one woman was entitled to $15,000 a year but her white guardian gave her only __________ a week.
4. Ohiya's children can be described as ______________ in this chapter.
5. What fib did Zitkala-Sa tell the government in Washington?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)