|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gertrude wrote an article which appeared in which publication?
(a) New York Post.
(b) The Boston Globe.
(c) The New Yorker.
(d) Atlantic Monthly.
2. For how long did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond travel around in the chapter entitled, "Despair"?
(a) 18 months.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 5 months.
(d) 1 year.
3. Zitkala-Sa wanted to leave Washington D. C. and go ____________________.
(a) to the West coast.
(b) back to the reservation.
(c) to Boston.
(d) to Indiana.
4. What was the name of the reservation where Zitkala-Sa and her husband lived in the state in #110?
(a) Lakota Reservation.
(b) Uintah Reservation.
(c) Colorado Reservation.
(d) Yankton Reservation.
5. Who testified on Zitkala-Sa's behalf before a senate sub-committee?
(a) Clayton Edward Hall.
(b) Richard Henry Pratt.
(c) James Allan Michener.
(d) Samuel Edward Pruitt.
6. In one example of how the whites swindled the Osage Indians, one woman was entitled to $15,000 a year but her white guardian gave her only __________ a week.
7. Who was the main character in Zitkala-Sa's opera?
8. At which school did Gertrude study music?
(a) New York Arts Academy.
(b) Cincinnati Conservatory of the Arts.
(c) The Julliard School.
(d) Boston Conservatory.
9. What Indian tribe lived on the reservation in #111?
10. In her lifetime, Zitkala-Sa had difficulty with _________________.
(b) fitting in.
11. What happened to the land belonging to Indians who were murdered?
(a) It was given to Negro slaves.
(b) It was given to white settlers.
(c) It was given to their families.
(d) It was given to white guardians.
12. Who was the Indian doctor who wanted to marry Gertrude in Boston?
(a) Carlos Santana.
(b) Carlos Montezuma.
(c) Carlos Lopez.
(d) Carlos Ackley.
13. With what illness was Zitkala-Sa very sick at this time?
14. Zitkala-Sa wanted peyote to be ____________________.
15. What did David do that helped with the family's prosperity?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a major problem with the Indian tribe in #112?
2. To what city did Zitkala-Sa and Raymond return after their travels in "Despair"?
3. Zitkala-Sa protested the use of peyote because ________________________.
4. In what state was the school in #139 located?
5. What did Zitkala-Sa hate about the white world?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)