|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Zitkala-Sa collaborate on an opera?
(a) Joseph Samuels.
(b) Edward Coates.
(c) William Hanson.
(d) James Hennigan.
2. Who was the Indian doctor who wanted to marry Gertrude in Boston?
(a) Carlos Montezuma.
(b) Carlos Ackley.
(c) Carlos Lopez.
(d) Carlos Santana.
3. Who was the young man who became engaged to Gertrude when she returned to Pennsylvania in 1897?
(a) Thomas Mulgrove.
(b) Thomas Marshall.
(c) Thomas Martin.
(d) Thomas Miller.
4. What was the state of Zitkala-Sa and Raymond's financial situation?
(a) They had plenty of money.
(b) They were making more each year.
(c) They were poor.
(d) They were comfortable.
5. Tate's family did not have _________________ for food.
(b) cooking utensils.
6. Into what type of boarding school did Zitkala-Sa place her son?
(a) A government boarding school.
(b) A Benedictine boarding school.
(c) A college preparatory school.
(d) An Episcopalian boarding school.
7. Gertrude wrote an article which appeared in which publication?
(a) New York Post.
(b) The Boston Globe.
(c) Atlantic Monthly.
(d) The New Yorker.
8. Who wrote the document entitled "Oklahoma's Poor Rich Indians"?
(a) Richard Henry Pratt.
(b) Zitkala-Sa and others.
(d) Zitkala-Sa and Raymond.
9. What part of Zitkala-Sa emerged when on the Ute reservation?
(a) Her white identity.
(b) Her Sioux identity.
(c) Her female identity.
(d) Her maternal identity.
10. Who testified on Zitkala-Sa's behalf before a senate sub-committee?
(a) Clayton Edward Hall.
(b) Samuel Edward Pruitt.
(c) Richard Henry Pratt.
(d) James Allan Michener.
11. From what disease did Gertrude's fiance die?
12. How much land had the U.S. government taken from the Ute Indians?
(a) 10 million acres.
(b) 50 million acres.
(c) 500,000 acres.
(d) 2 million acres.
13. In what state was the school in #139 located?
14. Zitkala-Sa's name meant _________________.
(a) little turtle.
(b) mourning dove.
(c) red bird.
(d) black crow.
15. Why did the character in #132 have to dance a sun dance in the opera?
(a) To bring an end to the rains.
(b) To prove his worthiness to his beloved.
(c) To bring an abundant harvest.
(d) To insure luck on the buffalo hunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Ute Indians had problems with drinking and __________________.
2. What happened to the land belonging to Indians who were murdered?
3. Zitkala-Sa was always reminded of which folklore character when dealing with the government?
4. With what illness was Zitkala-Sa very sick at this time?
5. What religion did Zitkala-Sa convert to during this time?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)