|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the main character in Zitkala-Sa's opera?
2. At which school did Gertrude study music?
(a) Cincinnati Conservatory of the Arts.
(b) The Julliard School.
(c) New York Arts Academy.
(d) Boston Conservatory.
3. Why did David lose his job at the Indian Bureau?
(a) The job was given to a white man.
(b) He came in drunk after lunch one day.
(c) He was late too many times.
(d) He stole some money.
4. Gertrude wrote an article which appeared in which publication?
(a) New York Post.
(b) The Boston Globe.
(c) Atlantic Monthly.
(d) The New Yorker.
5. What did Mormon families come to the white settlement to see?
(a) The Indians.
(b) Farm implements.
(c) Indian housing.
(d) An opera.
6. What part of Zitkala-Sa emerged when on the Ute reservation?
(a) Her female identity.
(b) Her Sioux identity.
(c) Her maternal identity.
(d) Her white identity.
7. What role did Zitkala-Sa take on in the Society of American Indians?
(a) Board member.
(d) Public Relations agent.
8. How many years have passed since Gertrude was home at the Yankton Reservation?
9. Why did Raymond accuse Zitkala-Sa of having an affair?
(a) She would gaze longingly at another man.
(b) She spoke another man's name in her sleep.
(c) She was away for opera rehearsals.
(d) She was no longer affectionate toward him.
10. What did Zitkala-Sa hate about her life in Utah?
11. How much land had the U.S. government taken from the Ute Indians?
(a) 10 million acres.
(b) 500,000 acres.
(c) 50 million acres.
(d) 2 million acres.
12. In one example of how the whites swindled the Osage Indians, one woman was entitled to $15,000 a year but her white guardian gave her only __________ a week.
13. What was Zitkala-Sa's husband's name?
14. Who testified on Zitkala-Sa's behalf before a senate sub-committee?
(a) Richard Henry Pratt.
(b) Clayton Edward Hall.
(c) Samuel Edward Pruitt.
(d) James Allan Michener.
15. From which tribe did the young man in #98 come?
Short Answer Questions
1. Tate's family did not have _________________ for food.
2. What did Zitkala-Sa hate about the white world?
3. The white settlement in #127 was how many miles from the Ute reservation?
4. What did Zitkala-Sa love about the white world?
5. How many children did Ohiya have?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)