|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Raymond accuse Zitkala-Sa of having an affair?
(a) She was no longer affectionate toward him.
(b) She spoke another man's name in her sleep.
(c) She would gaze longingly at another man.
(d) She was away for opera rehearsals.
2. Why did the character in #132 have to dance a sun dance in the opera?
(a) To bring an end to the rains.
(b) To insure luck on the buffalo hunt.
(c) To bring an abundant harvest.
(d) To prove his worthiness to his beloved.
3. Who was the greedy agent at the Indian Bureau with whom Raymond had trouble?
(a) F. Baker.
(b) F. Bolton.
(c) F. Barker.
(d) F. Bowen.
4. Who was the Indian doctor who wanted to marry Gertrude in Boston?
(a) Carlos Santana.
(b) Carlos Ackley.
(c) Carlos Montezuma.
(d) Carlos Lopez.
5. Zitkala-Sa died on January 26 in what year?
6. What gave Zitkala-Sa the cultural joy she most craved?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The white culture.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her Indian home.
7. Zitkala-Sa's name meant _________________.
(a) little turtle.
(b) red bird.
(c) mourning dove.
(d) black crow.
8. Where did Zitkala-Sa long to live?
(a) A beach area.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A city.
(d) A reservation.
9. Why did David lose his job at the Indian Bureau?
(a) He stole some money.
(b) The job was given to a white man.
(c) He came in drunk after lunch one day.
(d) He was late too many times.
10. What did David do that helped with the family's prosperity?
11. Which Indians were the richest people in the world?
(a) The Osages.
(b) The Potawatomis.
(c) The Crees.
(d) The Dakotas.
12. What Indian tribe lived on the reservation in #111?
13. In what state was the school in #139 located?
14. Ruthless men swindled money from the Utes by selling __________________-.
15. Who was Ohiya?
(a) Zitkala-Sa's brother.
(b) Zitkala-Sa's father.
(c) Zitkala-Sa's husband.
(d) Zitkala-Sa's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which school did Gertrude study music?
2. What was the name of the reservation where Zitkala-Sa and her husband lived in the state in #110?
3. With whom did Zitkala-Sa collaborate on an opera?
4. Who did Gertrude marry when she was 26?
5. What happened to the land belonging to Indians who were murdered?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)