|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what disease did Gertrude's fiance die?
2. Why did Raymond accuse Zitkala-Sa of having an affair?
(a) She was away for opera rehearsals.
(b) She spoke another man's name in her sleep.
(c) She was no longer affectionate toward him.
(d) She would gaze longingly at another man.
3. Ruthless men swindled money from the Utes by selling __________________-.
4. What was the name of the opera co-written by Zitkala-Sa?
(a) The Sun Dance.
(b) Indian Summer.
(c) The Buffalo Moon.
(d) Dances with Wolves.
5. Who was the Indian doctor who wanted to marry Gertrude in Boston?
(a) Carlos Santana.
(b) Carlos Lopez.
(c) Carlos Ackley.
(d) Carlos Montezuma.
6. Zitkala-Sa died on January 26 in what year?
7. What was the membership fee for Indians to belong to the National Council of American Indians?
8. Which of the following was NOT true about Kitkala-Sa's opera?
(a) Indians donated costumes.
(b) Indians danced in the dance scene.
(c) It had Indian lyrics.
(d) It was performed in Indiana.
9. Gertrude wrote an article which appeared in which publication?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) Atlantic Monthly.
(c) New York Post.
(d) The Boston Globe.
10. In one example of how the whites swindled the Osage Indians, one woman was entitled to $15,000 a year but her white guardian gave her only __________ a week.
11. Who was the young man who became engaged to Gertrude when she returned to Pennsylvania in 1897?
(a) Thomas Martin.
(b) Thomas Miller.
(c) Thomas Mulgrove.
(d) Thomas Marshall.
12. Who lived near the Indian village?
(a) White soldiers.
(b) White robbers.
(c) White settlers.
(d) White missionaries.
13. The Utes won a settlement from the U.S. government in the amount of ______________ for their land.
(a) $10 million.
(b) $3 million.
(c) $1 million.
(d) $50 million.
14. Who was the main character in Zitkala-Sa's opera?
15. What part of Zitkala-Sa emerged when on the Ute reservation?
(a) Her Sioux identity.
(b) Her maternal identity.
(c) Her white identity.
(d) Her female identity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Zitkala-Sa not attend the last hearing regarding the Osage Indians?
2. Who was the greedy agent at the Indian Bureau with whom Raymond had trouble?
3. How did Gertrude sign the article that appeared in the publication in #103?
4. What Indian tribe lived on the reservation in #111?
5. Which of the following is NOT something which Gertrude needed?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)