|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What last name was given to Gertrude?
2. How many years has Gertrude been at the boarding school?
3. The Indian children did not have immunity to ______________________.
(a) Eastern diseases.
(b) Adult diseases.
(c) European diseases.
(d) Asian diseases.
4. Which Indian chief was murdered on December 15, 1890?
(a) Crazy Horse.
(b) Sitting Bull.
5. Where did Gertrude return to teach in 1891?
(a) White's boarding school.
(b) Washington school.
(c) Apple Valley school.
(d) The Yankton reservation.
6. Until what time did the children at the boarding school have to work each night?
(a) 5 o'clock.
(b) 10 o'clock.
(c) 9 o'clock.
(d) 6 o'clock.
7. What was Gertrude's last name as a girl?
8. What did Tate teach Gertrude to do?
(b) Trap small animals.
(c) Catch salmon.
(d) Ride a horse.
9. Gertrude enjoyed the stories about which Indian character?
10. What did the devil in Gertrude's dream symbolize?
(a) The white man.
(b) Her father.
(c) The headmaster.
(d) The president.
11. Who was Tate's son from her second marriage?
12. After being home with her mother for ________________, Gertrude went to another boarding school.
(a) 19 months.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 6 weeks.
(d) 5 months.
13. On December 29, 1890, ______________ Indians were massacred at Wounded Knee.
(a) over 300.
(c) nearly 100.
14. How did Gertrude get revenge on the matron who ordered her to mash the item in #59?
(a) She spit in the dish of mashed food.
(b) She mashed so hard she broke the jar.
(c) She put a jalapeno pepper in the mashed food.
(d) She ran her dirty fingers through the mashed food.
15. What image did Gertrude scratch out in the Bible?
(a) God descending on clouds.
(b) Moses parting the Red Sea.
(c) The devil's eyes.
(d) Jesus with the little children.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Gertrude when she wrote a scathing article in "Atlantic Monthly" regarding the mistreatment of Indians?
2. Which famous people did Tate tell Gertrude she saw?
3. The older boys at the school worked as what?
4. According to Gertrude's mother, who were the only people who had their hair cut off?
5. What were the children not allowed to wear at the boarding school?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)