|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a tiyospaye?
(a) A tool.
(b) A headpiece.
(c) An enemy.
(d) A social unit.
2. According to Gertrude's mother, who were the only people who had their hair cut off?
(a) Captured white men.
(b) Unskilled warriors.
(c) Little boys.
(d) White women.
3. What did the Federal agents do to force the Indians to give up their children?
(a) Withheld their food rations.
(b) Withheld money.
(c) Raped the women.
(d) Burned their villages.
4. In what year did Gertrude return home from the second boarding school?
5. A popular topic for Gertrude's speeches was __________________.
(a) Female equality.
(d) Indian rights.
6. How old is Gertrude in the chapter, "The Returned Student"?
7. Gertrude had a bad dream in which _________________ came to get Tate and her guest.
(a) the headmaster.
(b) the soldiers.
(d) the devil.
8. How many years has Gertrude been at the boarding school?
9. What was Gertrude ordered to mash one day?
(a) Sweet potatoes.
10. What did Gertrude become at the age of 17?
(a) A young wife who left the area with her husband.
(b) An agent who separated Indian children from their parents.
(c) A young mother who gave up her children.
(d) An activist for Indians' rights.
11. How many marriages did Tate have with white men?
12. Why did Gertrude cry on the train?
(a) She was getting the flu.
(b) She had a bad sunburn.
(c) She realized she had left her mother.
(d) Someone took her bag of possessions.
13. What is the meaning of Zitkala-Sa?
(b) Wise owl.
(c) Blue skies.
(d) Red bird.
14. Where did Gertrude hide to try to avoid getting her hair cut?
(a) In the cellar.
(b) In the orchard.
(c) In the chapel.
(d) Under a bed.
15. What was Gertrude's last name as a girl?
Short Answer Questions
1. A white woman tossed Gertrude around like ______________.
2. How many children did Tate have?
3. Who was David's wife?
4. Who stared at Gertrude and the other Indian children?
5. Where did Gertrude return to teach in 1891?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)