|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Gertrude when she got on the train?
(a) She nearly passed out.
(b) She fainted.
(c) She vomited.
(d) She got pushed to the floor.
2. What was forbidden to the Indian children?
(a) Telling jokes.
(b) Going home to see their parents.
(c) Buying candy.
(d) Drinking lemonade.
3. What is a tiyospaye?
(a) A social unit.
(b) A tool.
(c) An enemy.
(d) A headpiece.
4. Where did Gertrude return to teach in 1891?
(a) The Yankton reservation.
(b) White's boarding school.
(c) Washington school.
(d) Apple Valley school.
5. What is a winyan?
(a) A woman.
(b) A bird.
(c) A brook.
(d) A wound.
6. What did the girls wear at the boarding school?
(a) Jeans and shirt.
(c) Stiff dresses.
(d) Long shirt.
7. Which disease did Gertrude contract while at college?
(d) Scarlet Fever.
8. How many children did Tate have?
9. What was the only way the staff could cut Gertrude's hair?
(a) They sedated her.
(b) They waited until she was asleep.
(c) They threatened to starve her.
(d) They tied her to a chair.
10. In which state was the college in #84 located?
(b) South Dakota.
11. What image did Gertrude scratch out in the Bible?
(a) Jesus with the little children.
(b) Moses parting the Red Sea.
(c) God descending on clouds.
(d) The devil's eyes.
12. Which Indian chief was murdered on December 15, 1890?
(b) Sitting Bull.
(d) Crazy Horse.
13. What was Gertrude's last name as a girl?
14. What is a tipi?
(a) A white man.
(b) A bird.
(c) A canoe.
(d) An Indian shelter.
15. Where did Gertrude hide to try to avoid getting her hair cut?
(a) In the cellar.
(b) In the orchard.
(c) In the chapel.
(d) Under a bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many marriages did Tate have with white men?
2. According to Gertrude's mother, who were the only people who had their hair cut off?
3. Until what time did the children at the boarding school have to work each night?
4. Which of the following is NOT something the girls did at the boarding school?
5. The older boys at the school worked as what?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)