|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gertrude become at the age of 17?
(a) An activist for Indians' rights.
(b) An agent who separated Indian children from their parents.
(c) A young mother who gave up her children.
(d) A young wife who left the area with her husband.
2. What were the children not allowed to wear at the boarding school?
3. Which of the following was NOT something the government promised the Indians?
4. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
(a) Flirted with the boys.
(b) Played in the snow.
(c) Wasted their food.
(d) Picked unripe apples.
5. What animals were slaughtered by the white hunters?
6. What did the Indian children serve as when they were sent to live with white families?
(b) Foster children.
7. Which disease did Gertrude contract while at college?
(d) Scarlet Fever.
8. At the boarding school, there were cruel and unusual punishments such as whippings and ____________________.
(a) solitary confinement.
(b) body mutilation.
(c) kneeling on raw grits.
9. What is a tipi?
(a) An Indian shelter.
(b) A canoe.
(c) A bird.
(d) A white man.
10. Gertrude attended the white man's school what timeframe?
11. Like many Indian children who attended boarding school, Gertrude suffered __________________.
(a) scarlet fever.
(d) an identity crisis.
12. How did the boarding school make money off the Indian children?
(a) They sold their braids.
(b) They made them bead moccasins.
(c) They made them perform native dances.
(d) They made them sew blankets.
13. In what state was Gertrude's second boarding school located?
14. Until what time did the children at the boarding school have to work each night?
(a) 10 o'clock.
(b) 9 o'clock.
(c) 6 o'clock.
(d) 5 o'clock.
15. In what year did Gertrude return home from the second boarding school?
Short Answer Questions
1. What last name was given to Gertrude?
2. When did Gertrude realize she had made a mistake by going to the boarding school?
3. On December 29, 1890, ______________ Indians were massacred at Wounded Knee.
4. What did the white hunter promise to give to Prairie Flower?
5. What was Gertrude's last name as a girl?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)