|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the U.S. Army captain who wanted to remove Indian infants from their homes?
(a) Edward Lee Bonifice.
(b) Philip Alan Bowman.
(c) Richard Henry Pratt.
(d) Robert James Starke.
2. Why did so many of the Indian children have chronic health problems or die?
(a) They were weak from starvation.
(b) They did not get enough Vitamin C.
(c) They were always out in inclement weather.
(d) There was no medicine.
3. What did the cutting of Gertrude's braids symbolize?
(a) The elimination of vanity.
(b) Rigorous hygiene.
(c) Submission to the white man.
4. The Federal agents took away Indian children as young as ___________________.
5. Until what time did the children at the boarding school have to work each night?
(a) 5 o'clock.
(b) 10 o'clock.
(c) 9 o'clock.
(d) 6 o'clock.
6. Who was Tate's son from her second marriage?
7. At the boarding school, there were cruel and unusual punishments such as whippings and ____________________.
(a) body mutilation.
(c) kneeling on raw grits.
(d) solitary confinement.
8. What was the name of the man in #24?
(a) Man of Big Heart.
(b) Man of Empty Words.
(c) Man of Many Winters.
(d) Man of Little Ears.
9. Which famous people did Tate tell Gertrude she saw?
(a) Clemons and Tate.
(b) Gilchrest and Monnin.
(c) Jefferson and Adams.
(d) Lewis and Clark.
10. How many children did Tate have?
11. How old is Gertrude in the chapter, "The Returned Student"?
12. Gertrude attended the white man's school what timeframe?
13. What was Gertrude ordered to mash one day?
(d) Sweet potatoes.
14. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
(a) Wasted their food.
(b) Played in the snow.
(c) Flirted with the boys.
(d) Picked unripe apples.
15. Who is Tate?
(a) The president's wife.
(b) Gertrude's mother.
(c) A young warrior.
(d) A Sioux chief.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Indian society, the elders told stories to teach ______________ to the young people.
2. What was the name of the boarding school?
3. Where did Gertrude hide to try to avoid getting her hair cut?
4. A Quaker woman offered to pay for Gertrude's education at which school?
5. What was the name of the Indian agency where Tate and the others received their government food rations?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)