|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stared at Gertrude and the other Indian children?
(a) White people.
(b) The nuns.
(c) The Indian men.
(d) The train conductor.
2. What was the name of the boarding school?
(a) White's Christian Day School.
(b) White's Manual Labor Institute.
(c) White's School for Indian Integration.
(d) White's Boarding School.
3. Which Indian chief was murdered on December 15, 1890?
(a) Sitting Bull.
(b) Crazy Horse.
4. Why did Gertrude cry on the train?
(a) She had a bad sunburn.
(b) She realized she had left her mother.
(c) She was getting the flu.
(d) Someone took her bag of possessions.
5. What did Tate say when Gertrude decided to go to the boarding school?
(a) I will never see you again.
(b) The white man is a liar.
(d) You will be back soon.
6. Gertrude had a bad dream in which _________________ came to get Tate and her guest.
(a) the devil.
(b) the headmaster.
(d) the soldiers.
7. Where was the boarding school located?
(a) Portland, Indiana.
(b) Wabash, Indiana.
(c) Fort Wayne, Indiana.
(d) Indianapolis, Indiana.
8. The Yankton Indians were part of which Indian nation?
9. Where did Gertrude return to teach in 1891?
(a) The Yankton reservation.
(b) White's boarding school.
(c) Washington school.
(d) Apple Valley school.
10. How did the boarding school make money off the Indian children?
(a) They made them bead moccasins.
(b) They sold their braids.
(c) They made them sew blankets.
(d) They made them perform native dances.
11. What did the cutting of Gertrude's braids symbolize?
(a) Rigorous hygiene.
(c) Submission to the white man.
(d) The elimination of vanity.
12. What is the meaning of Zitkala-Sa?
(a) Red bird.
(c) Blue skies.
(d) Wise owl.
13. What did Tate teach Gertrude to do?
(a) Catch salmon.
(c) Ride a horse.
(d) Trap small animals.
14. In Indian society, the elders told stories to teach ______________ to the young people.
15. Which of the following was NOT a behavior exhibited by the Indian children?
(a) They wet their beds.
(b) They had diarrhea.
(c) They stopped eating.
(d) They read the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. The older boys at the school worked as what?
2. At the boarding school, there were cruel and unusual punishments such as whippings and ____________________.
3. What did the girls wear at the boarding school?
4. Which of the following was NOT something the government promised the Indians?
5. In what year did Gertrude return home from the second boarding school?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)