|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Yankton Indians were part of which Indian nation?
2. The baby in #13 grew up to sign a treaty with the U.S. government to give away how much Indian land?
(a) 500,000 acres.
(b) 5 acres.
(c) 2 million acres.
(d) 11 million acres.
3. How many marriages did Tate have with white men?
4. Why did so many of the Indian children have chronic health problems or die?
(a) They were always out in inclement weather.
(b) They did not get enough Vitamin C.
(c) They were weak from starvation.
(d) There was no medicine.
5. How many children did Tate have?
6. Who was Tate's son from her second marriage?
7. The Indian children did not have immunity to ______________________.
(a) Adult diseases.
(b) Eastern diseases.
(c) Asian diseases.
(d) European diseases.
8. In Indian society, the elders told stories to teach ______________ to the young people.
9. Like many Indian children who attended boarding school, Gertrude suffered __________________.
(c) an identity crisis.
(d) scarlet fever.
10. In what year did Gertrude return home from the second boarding school?
11. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
(a) Wasted their food.
(b) Flirted with the boys.
(c) Played in the snow.
(d) Picked unripe apples.
12. At the boarding school, there were cruel and unusual punishments such as whippings and ____________________.
(b) body mutilation.
(c) kneeling on raw grits.
(d) solitary confinement.
13. What did the Indian children serve as when they were sent to live with white families?
(b) Foster children.
14. What is a tiyospaye?
(a) A tool.
(b) An enemy.
(c) A social unit.
(d) A headpiece.
15. Where did Gertrude return to teach in 1891?
(a) Washington school.
(b) White's boarding school.
(c) Apple Valley school.
(d) The Yankton reservation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the U.S. Army captain who wanted to remove Indian infants from their homes?
2. Who is Tate?
3. How did Gertrude travel to the boarding school?
4. What did the headmistress do to Totowin for playing in the snow?
5. What did Gertrude observe that was important to the Quaker teachers?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)