|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Indian society, the elders told stories to teach ______________ to the young people.
2. What did the Federal agents do to force the Indians to give up their children?
(a) Raped the women.
(b) Burned their villages.
(c) Withheld money.
(d) Withheld their food rations.
3. On December 29, 1890, ______________ Indians were massacred at Wounded Knee.
(a) over 300.
(c) nearly 100.
4. Which disease did Gertrude contract while at college?
(d) Scarlet Fever.
5. When did Gertrude realize she had made a mistake by going to the boarding school?
(a) During her first night there.
(b) On the carriage ride.
(c) When she was on the train.
(d) During the first weekend.
6. Who was Tate's son from her second marriage?
7. Where was the boarding school located?
(a) Fort Wayne, Indiana.
(b) Indianapolis, Indiana.
(c) Portland, Indiana.
(d) Wabash, Indiana.
8. How did the boarding school make money off the Indian children?
(a) They made them sew blankets.
(b) They made them perform native dances.
(c) They made them bead moccasins.
(d) They sold their braids.
9. Where did the Federal agent tell Gertrude the boarding school was located?
(a) Sweet Grass Country.
(b) Maple Leaf Country.
(c) High Mountain Country.
(d) Red Apple Country.
10. Until what time did the children at the boarding school have to work each night?
(a) 5 o'clock.
(b) 10 o'clock.
(c) 9 o'clock.
(d) 6 o'clock.
11. Gertrude was born on February 22 in what year?
12. In which state was the college in #84 located?
(b) South Dakota.
13. What last name was given to Gertrude?
14. What did some of the children at the boarding school sneak out to do?
(a) Swim in the creek.
(b) Post letters.
(c) Went to town.
(d) Pick apples.
15. What did Gertrude become at the age of 17?
(a) A young mother who gave up her children.
(b) A young wife who left the area with her husband.
(c) An activist for Indians' rights.
(d) An agent who separated Indian children from their parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Quaker woman offered to pay for Gertrude's education at which school?
2. How many children slept in each bed at the boarding house?
3. In what year did Gertrude return home from the second boarding school?
4. How many years has Gertrude been at the boarding school?
5. What were the children not allowed to wear at the boarding school?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)