|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Tate have?
2. Who is Tate?
(a) Gertrude's mother.
(b) The president's wife.
(c) A Sioux chief.
(d) A young warrior.
3. In what year did Gertrude return home from the second boarding school?
4. Who was David's wife?
5. The Yankton Indians were part of which Indian nation?
6. Which of the following does NOT describe the character in #21?
7. What is a winyan?
(a) A woman.
(b) A bird.
(c) A wound.
(d) A brook.
8. After being home with her mother for ________________, Gertrude went to another boarding school.
(a) 1 year.
(b) 5 months.
(c) 6 weeks.
(d) 19 months.
9. Gertrude's playmates at the boarding school were Judewin and _____________.
10. A popular topic for Gertrude's speeches was __________________.
(b) Female equality.
(c) Indian rights.
11. Why did so many of the Indian children have chronic health problems or die?
(a) They were weak from starvation.
(b) There was no medicine.
(c) They were always out in inclement weather.
(d) They did not get enough Vitamin C.
12. What was the only way the staff could cut Gertrude's hair?
(a) They tied her to a chair.
(b) They threatened to starve her.
(c) They waited until she was asleep.
(d) They sedated her.
13. What animals were slaughtered by the white hunters?
14. What happened to Gertrude when she got on the train?
(a) She vomited.
(b) She nearly passed out.
(c) She got pushed to the floor.
(d) She fainted.
15. What was forbidden to the Indian children?
(a) Drinking lemonade.
(b) Telling jokes.
(c) Going home to see their parents.
(d) Buying candy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Like many Indian children who attended boarding school, Gertrude suffered __________________.
2. What did some of the children at the boarding school sneak out to do?
3. The Federal agents took away Indian children as young as ___________________.
4. In what state was Gertrude's second boarding school located?
5. How did Gertrude get revenge on the matron who ordered her to mash the item in #59?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)