Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Yankton Indians were part of which Indian nation?
2. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
(a) Picked unripe apples.
(b) Flirted with the boys.
(c) Played in the snow.
(d) Wasted their food.
3. What was the name of the man in #24?
(a) Man of Empty Words.
(b) Man of Little Ears.
(c) Man of Big Heart.
(d) Man of Many Winters.
4. Until what time did the children at the boarding school have to work each night?
(a) 5 o'clock.
(b) 10 o'clock.
(c) 9 o'clock.
(d) 6 o'clock.
5. In which state was the college in #84 located?
(a) South Dakota.
6. How many children slept in each bed at the boarding house?
7. Gertrude's playmates at the boarding school were Judewin and _____________.
8. What last name was given to Gertrude?
9. Like many Indian children who attended boarding school, Gertrude suffered __________________.
(b) scarlet fever.
(c) an identity crisis.
10. How many marriages did Tate have with white men?
11. Who was Judewin?
(a) Gertrude's mother.
(b) Gertrude's friend.
(c) Gertrude's sister.
(d) Gertrude's grandmother.
12. Who was Tate's son from her second marriage?
13. What did the cutting of Gertrude's braids symbolize?
(a) Rigorous hygiene.
(b) Submission to the white man.
(d) The elimination of vanity.
14. When did Gertrude realize she had made a mistake by going to the boarding school?
(a) During her first night there.
(b) When she was on the train.
(c) On the carriage ride.
(d) During the first weekend.
15. What role did Cloud Elk have in the tribe?
(b) Medicine man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Indian children serve as when they were sent to live with white families?
2. Which famous people did Tate tell Gertrude she saw?
3. The baby in #13 grew up to sign a treaty with the U.S. government to give away how much Indian land?
4. What is a tiyospaye?
5. At college, Gertrude won honors in which field?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)