|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Gertrude when she wrote a scathing article in "Atlantic Monthly" regarding the mistreatment of Indians?
2. What image did Gertrude scratch out in the Bible?
(a) Moses parting the Red Sea.
(b) God descending on clouds.
(c) Jesus with the little children.
(d) The devil's eyes.
3. Why did so many of the Indian children have chronic health problems or die?
(a) They were weak from starvation.
(b) There was no medicine.
(c) They were always out in inclement weather.
(d) They did not get enough Vitamin C.
4. Which of the following was NOT something the government promised the Indians?
5. Gertrude had a bad dream in which _________________ came to get Tate and her guest.
(a) the soldiers.
(c) the headmaster.
(d) the devil.
6. Who was David's wife?
7. In Indian society, the elders told stories to teach ______________ to the young people.
8. What was the only way the staff could cut Gertrude's hair?
(a) They threatened to starve her.
(b) They waited until she was asleep.
(c) They tied her to a chair.
(d) They sedated her.
9. In what year did Gertrude return home from the second boarding school?
10. What did the people in #12 wrap a newborn baby in during their visit with Tate's tribe?
(a) A blanket.
(b) An American flag.
(c) A buffalo hide.
(d) A muslin cloth.
11. What did Gertrude become at the age of 17?
(a) An activist for Indians' rights.
(b) A young wife who left the area with her husband.
(c) A young mother who gave up her children.
(d) An agent who separated Indian children from their parents.
12. Gertrude attended the white man's school what timeframe?
13. What happened to Gertrude when she got on the train?
(a) She nearly passed out.
(b) She got pushed to the floor.
(c) She vomited.
(d) She fainted.
14. Gertrude was born on February 22 in what year?
15. How did the boarding school make money off the Indian children?
(a) They sold their braids.
(b) They made them sew blankets.
(c) They made them perform native dances.
(d) They made them bead moccasins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals were slaughtered by the white hunters?
2. The Indian children did not have immunity to ______________________.
3. In 1897, Gertrude taught at the most famous Indian boarding school in America located in which state?
4. What is a tiyospaye?
5. Where did the Federal agent tell Gertrude the boarding school was located?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)