|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The older boys at the school worked as what?
2. Where did Gertrude hide to try to avoid getting her hair cut?
(a) Under a bed.
(b) In the chapel.
(c) In the orchard.
(d) In the cellar.
3. Gertrude attended the white man's school what timeframe?
4. In 1897, Gertrude taught at the most famous Indian boarding school in America located in which state?
5. At the boarding school, there were cruel and unusual punishments such as whippings and ____________________.
(a) body mutilation.
(c) solitary confinement.
(d) kneeling on raw grits.
6. What were the children not allowed to wear at the boarding school?
7. What is a tiyospaye?
(a) A headpiece.
(b) A tool.
(c) An enemy.
(d) A social unit.
8. Who was Tate's son from her second marriage?
9. Who was Judewin?
(a) Gertrude's friend.
(b) Gertrude's grandmother.
(c) Gertrude's sister.
(d) Gertrude's mother.
10. How many years has Gertrude been at the boarding school?
11. In what state was Gertrude's second boarding school located?
12. What was Gertrude ordered to mash one day?
(c) Sweet potatoes.
13. What did Tate teach Gertrude to do?
(b) Ride a horse.
(c) Catch salmon.
(d) Trap small animals.
14. At college, Gertrude won honors in which field?
15. What was the name of the man in #24?
(a) Man of Big Heart.
(b) Man of Little Ears.
(c) Man of Empty Words.
(d) Man of Many Winters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the U.S. Army captain who wanted to remove Indian infants from their homes?
2. What was the name of the boarding school?
3. How old is Gertrude in the chapter, "The Returned Student"?
4. What did the white hunter promise to give to Prairie Flower?
5. Which of the following was NOT something the government promised the Indians?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)