|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On December 29, 1890, ______________ Indians were massacred at Wounded Knee.
(a) nearly 100.
(d) over 300.
2. What is the meaning of Zitkala-Sa?
(a) Wise owl.
(b) Blue skies.
(d) Red bird.
3. In what year did Gertrude return home from the second boarding school?
4. What did the people in #12 wrap a newborn baby in during their visit with Tate's tribe?
(a) A buffalo hide.
(b) A muslin cloth.
(c) An American flag.
(d) A blanket.
5. Who was the U.S. Army captain who wanted to remove Indian infants from their homes?
(a) Philip Alan Bowman.
(b) Robert James Starke.
(c) Richard Henry Pratt.
(d) Edward Lee Bonifice.
6. In Indian society, the elders told stories to teach ______________ to the young people.
7. In which state was the college in #84 located?
(c) South Dakota.
8. A Quaker woman offered to pay for Gertrude's education at which school?
(b) University of Detroit.
(c) Earlham College.
9. Which Indian chief was murdered on December 15, 1890?
(a) Sitting Bull.
(c) Crazy Horse.
10. The Indian children did not have immunity to ______________________.
(a) Eastern diseases.
(b) Adult diseases.
(c) European diseases.
(d) Asian diseases.
11. What did the devil in Gertrude's dream symbolize?
(a) The president.
(b) Her father.
(c) The headmaster.
(d) The white man.
12. In what state was Gertrude's second boarding school located?
13. What was forbidden to the Indian children?
(a) Going home to see their parents.
(b) Buying candy.
(c) Drinking lemonade.
(d) Telling jokes.
14. Like many Indian children who attended boarding school, Gertrude suffered __________________.
(c) scarlet fever.
(d) an identity crisis.
15. What did the girls wear at the boarding school?
(a) Jeans and shirt.
(b) Stiff dresses.
(d) Long shirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gertrude was born on February 22 in what year?
2. How many children did Tate have?
3. Who is Tate?
4. Where was the boarding school located?
5. A popular topic for Gertrude's speeches was __________________.
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)