|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something the girls did at the boarding school?
(c) Made pottery.
2. Why did Gertrude cry at the boarding school?
(a) She was ill.
(b) She was hungry.
(c) She was tired.
(d) She wanted her mother.
3. In Indian society, the elders told stories to teach ______________ to the young people.
4. Who was the U.S. Army captain who wanted to remove Indian infants from their homes?
(a) Edward Lee Bonifice.
(b) Robert James Starke.
(c) Philip Alan Bowman.
(d) Richard Henry Pratt.
5. What did Tate teach Gertrude to do?
(a) Catch salmon.
(c) Trap small animals.
(d) Ride a horse.
6. What role did Cloud Elk have in the tribe?
(b) Medicine man.
7. Gertrude enjoyed the stories about which Indian character?
8. Which of the following was NOT something the government promised the Indians?
9. Like many Indian children who attended boarding school, Gertrude suffered __________________.
(b) an identity crisis.
(d) scarlet fever.
10. What did Gertrude become at the age of 17?
(a) A young mother who gave up her children.
(b) An agent who separated Indian children from their parents.
(c) A young wife who left the area with her husband.
(d) An activist for Indians' rights.
11. On December 29, 1890, ______________ Indians were massacred at Wounded Knee.
(a) nearly 100.
(b) over 300.
12. In 1897, Gertrude taught at the most famous Indian boarding school in America located in which state?
13. After being home with her mother for ________________, Gertrude went to another boarding school.
(a) 5 months.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 19 months.
(d) 6 weeks.
14. A white woman tossed Gertrude around like ______________.
(a) a doll.
(b) an animal.
(c) a rag.
(d) a rug.
15. How did the boarding school make money off the Indian children?
(a) They sold their braids.
(b) They made them sew blankets.
(c) They made them bead moccasins.
(d) They made them perform native dances.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the boarding school, there were cruel and unusual punishments such as whippings and ____________________.
2. What was forbidden to the Indian children?
3. What was Gertrude's last name as a girl?
4. What did the girls wear at the boarding school?
5. When did Gertrude realize she had made a mistake by going to the boarding school?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)