|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which disease did Gertrude contract while at college?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
2. What last name was given to Gertrude?
3. On December 29, 1890, ______________ Indians were massacred at Wounded Knee.
(a) nearly 100.
(d) over 300.
4. Who stared at Gertrude and the other Indian children?
(a) White people.
(b) The Indian men.
(c) The train conductor.
(d) The nuns.
5. Where did Gertrude return to teach in 1891?
(a) Apple Valley school.
(b) White's boarding school.
(c) The Yankton reservation.
(d) Washington school.
6. What did the people in #12 wrap a newborn baby in during their visit with Tate's tribe?
(a) A buffalo hide.
(b) A muslin cloth.
(c) A blanket.
(d) An American flag.
7. The U.S. government forced Tate to send David to _____________________.
(a) a hospital.
(b) boarding school.
(d) another reservation.
8. What were the children not allowed to wear at the boarding school?
9. Why did so many of the Indian children have chronic health problems or die?
(a) They did not get enough Vitamin C.
(b) They were weak from starvation.
(c) There was no medicine.
(d) They were always out in inclement weather.
10. Which of the following was NOT something the government promised the Indians?
11. How did Gertrude get revenge on the matron who ordered her to mash the item in #59?
(a) She put a jalapeno pepper in the mashed food.
(b) She ran her dirty fingers through the mashed food.
(c) She spit in the dish of mashed food.
(d) She mashed so hard she broke the jar.
12. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
(a) Played in the snow.
(b) Picked unripe apples.
(c) Wasted their food.
(d) Flirted with the boys.
13. Who was Judewin?
(a) Gertrude's friend.
(b) Gertrude's grandmother.
(c) Gertrude's sister.
(d) Gertrude's mother.
14. What was Gertrude's last name as a girl?
15. What did Tate say when Gertrude decided to go to the boarding school?
(b) I will never see you again.
(c) The white man is a liar.
(d) You will be back soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Gertrude realize she had made a mistake by going to the boarding school?
2. At the boarding school, there were cruel and unusual punishments such as whippings and ____________________.
3. Which Indian chief was murdered on December 15, 1890?
4. What happened to Gertrude when she got on the train?
5. What is a winyan?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)