|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the U.S. Army captain who wanted to remove Indian infants from their homes?
(a) Edward Lee Bonifice.
(b) Philip Alan Bowman.
(c) Robert James Starke.
(d) Richard Henry Pratt.
2. The baby in #13 grew up to sign a treaty with the U.S. government to give away how much Indian land?
(a) 2 million acres.
(b) 11 million acres.
(c) 5 acres.
(d) 500,000 acres.
3. Which famous people did Tate tell Gertrude she saw?
(a) Clemons and Tate.
(b) Jefferson and Adams.
(c) Gilchrest and Monnin.
(d) Lewis and Clark.
4. What is a tiyospaye?
(a) An enemy.
(b) A social unit.
(c) A headpiece.
(d) A tool.
5. Gertrude attended the white man's school what timeframe?
6. What did the headmistress do to Totowin for playing in the snow?
(a) She withheld her supper.
(b) She made her wash dishes.
(c) She beat her.
(d) She sent her to her room.
7. Like many Indian children who attended boarding school, Gertrude suffered __________________.
(b) an identity crisis.
(d) scarlet fever.
8. How many marriages did Tate have with white men?
9. What was the name of the man in #24?
(a) Man of Big Heart.
(b) Man of Empty Words.
(c) Man of Little Ears.
(d) Man of Many Winters.
10. After being home with her mother for ________________, Gertrude went to another boarding school.
(a) 5 months.
(b) 6 weeks.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 19 months.
11. In what year did Gertrude return home from the second boarding school?
12. Where was the boarding school located?
(a) Portland, Indiana.
(b) Fort Wayne, Indiana.
(c) Wabash, Indiana.
(d) Indianapolis, Indiana.
13. According to Gertrude's mother, who were the only people who had their hair cut off?
(a) Unskilled warriors.
(b) Captured white men.
(c) Little boys.
(d) White women.
14. When did Gertrude realize she had made a mistake by going to the boarding school?
(a) When she was on the train.
(b) On the carriage ride.
(c) During her first night there.
(d) During the first weekend.
15. What were the children not allowed to wear at the boarding school?
Short Answer Questions
1. The older boys at the school worked as what?
2. Which disease did Gertrude contract while at college?
3. What did the Indian children serve as when they were sent to live with white families?
4. What was the name of the boarding school?
5. What did Tate teach Gertrude to do?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)