|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Gertrude hide to try to avoid getting her hair cut?
(a) Under a bed.
(b) In the orchard.
(c) In the chapel.
(d) In the cellar.
2. What happened to Gertrude when she got on the train?
(a) She got pushed to the floor.
(b) She fainted.
(c) She vomited.
(d) She nearly passed out.
3. How did Gertrude travel to the boarding school?
4. A Quaker woman offered to pay for Gertrude's education at which school?
(a) University of Detroit.
(c) Earlham College.
5. Gertrude attended the white man's school what timeframe?
6. Gertrude was born on February 22 in what year?
7. What did Tate teach Gertrude to do?
(a) Ride a horse.
(c) Catch salmon.
(d) Trap small animals.
8. What was forbidden to the Indian children?
(a) Drinking lemonade.
(b) Buying candy.
(c) Telling jokes.
(d) Going home to see their parents.
9. How did the boarding school make money off the Indian children?
(a) They made them sew blankets.
(b) They made them perform native dances.
(c) They made them bead moccasins.
(d) They sold their braids.
10. Where was the boarding school located?
(a) Portland, Indiana.
(b) Fort Wayne, Indiana.
(c) Indianapolis, Indiana.
(d) Wabash, Indiana.
11. What was the name of the man in #24?
(a) Man of Big Heart.
(b) Man of Empty Words.
(c) Man of Many Winters.
(d) Man of Little Ears.
12. Which of the following was NOT something the government promised the Indians?
13. What is a winyan?
(a) A woman.
(b) A bird.
(c) A wound.
(d) A brook.
14. In which state was the college in #84 located?
(d) South Dakota.
15. A white woman tossed Gertrude around like ______________.
(a) a rug.
(b) a doll.
(c) a rag.
(d) an animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Indian children serve as when they were sent to live with white families?
2. What image did Gertrude scratch out in the Bible?
3. The Yankton Indians were part of which Indian nation?
4. Where did the Federal agent tell Gertrude the boarding school was located?
5. How many years has Gertrude been at the boarding school?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)