|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gertrude enjoyed the stories about which Indian character?
2. At the boarding school, there were cruel and unusual punishments such as whippings and ____________________.
(a) kneeling on raw grits.
(c) solitary confinement.
(d) body mutilation.
3. Where did Gertrude hide to try to avoid getting her hair cut?
(a) Under a bed.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In the orchard.
(d) In the chapel.
4. Who was David's wife?
5. In which state was the college in #84 located?
(c) South Dakota.
6. Gertrude had a bad dream in which _________________ came to get Tate and her guest.
(a) the headmaster.
(b) the devil.
(d) the soldiers.
7. What happened to Gertrude when she got on the train?
(a) She vomited.
(b) She fainted.
(c) She got pushed to the floor.
(d) She nearly passed out.
8. When did Gertrude realize she had made a mistake by going to the boarding school?
(a) On the carriage ride.
(b) During her first night there.
(c) When she was on the train.
(d) During the first weekend.
9. Gertrude was born on February 22 in what year?
10. Who was Tate's son from her second marriage?
11. What was the name of the Indian agency where Tate and the others received their government food rations?
(d) Green River.
12. How many children slept in each bed at the boarding house?
13. Gertrude attended the white man's school what timeframe?
14. Which Indian chief was murdered on December 15, 1890?
(a) Crazy Horse.
(b) Sitting Bull.
15. Why did Gertrude cry at the boarding school?
(a) She wanted her mother.
(b) She was tired.
(c) She was ill.
(d) She was hungry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Gertrude ordered to mash one day?
2. Like many Indian children who attended boarding school, Gertrude suffered __________________.
3. Which of the following is NOT something the girls did at the boarding school?
4. What did Tate teach Gertrude to do?
5. What did Tate say when Gertrude decided to go to the boarding school?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)