|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe the character in #21?
2. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
(a) Played in the snow.
(b) Picked unripe apples.
(c) Wasted their food.
(d) Flirted with the boys.
3. Like many Indian children who attended boarding school, Gertrude suffered __________________.
(b) scarlet fever.
(c) an identity crisis.
4. Which disease did Gertrude contract while at college?
(c) Scarlet Fever.
5. A Quaker woman offered to pay for Gertrude's education at which school?
(b) University of Detroit.
(c) Earlham College.
6. What did Tate teach Gertrude to do?
(a) Catch salmon.
(b) Trap small animals.
(c) Ride a horse.
7. What role did Cloud Elk have in the tribe?
(a) Medicine man.
8. Gertrude had a bad dream in which _________________ came to get Tate and her guest.
(a) the headmaster.
(b) the devil.
(c) the soldiers.
9. What image did Gertrude scratch out in the Bible?
(a) God descending on clouds.
(b) Moses parting the Red Sea.
(c) Jesus with the little children.
(d) The devil's eyes.
10. Which Indian chief was murdered on December 15, 1890?
(c) Sitting Bull.
(d) Crazy Horse.
11. What last name was given to Gertrude?
12. At college, Gertrude won honors in which field?
13. Who was the U.S. Army captain who wanted to remove Indian infants from their homes?
(a) Edward Lee Bonifice.
(b) Philip Alan Bowman.
(c) Richard Henry Pratt.
(d) Robert James Starke.
14. On December 29, 1890, ______________ Indians were massacred at Wounded Knee.
(a) over 300.
(b) nearly 100.
15. How did Gertrude travel to the boarding school?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children slept in each bed at the boarding house?
2. Where was the boarding school located?
3. Who was Judewin?
4. The older boys at the school worked as what?
5. How old is Gertrude in the chapter, "The Returned Student"?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)