|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At college, Gertrude won honors in which field?
2. Which of the following is NOT something the girls did at the boarding school?
(a) Made pottery.
3. What is a tipi?
(a) A white man.
(b) A bird.
(c) A canoe.
(d) An Indian shelter.
4. According to Gertrude's mother, who were the only people who had their hair cut off?
(a) White women.
(b) Little boys.
(c) Captured white men.
(d) Unskilled warriors.
5. What did the white hunter promise to give to Prairie Flower?
(a) Deer meat.
(b) Squirrel hides.
(c) Buffalo hides.
(d) Buffalo meat.
6. What were the children not allowed to wear at the boarding school?
7. Who was Prairie Flower's ill husband?
(a) Red Bird.
(b) Wise Owl.
(c) Moving Wind.
(d) Cloud Elk.
8. Which of the following was NOT something the government promised the Indians?
9. When did Gertrude realize she had made a mistake by going to the boarding school?
(a) During her first night there.
(b) When she was on the train.
(c) On the carriage ride.
(d) During the first weekend.
10. In which state was the college in #84 located?
(c) South Dakota.
11. What was forbidden to the Indian children?
(a) Drinking lemonade.
(b) Telling jokes.
(c) Going home to see their parents.
(d) Buying candy.
12. Who is Tate?
(a) The president's wife.
(b) A Sioux chief.
(c) A young warrior.
(d) Gertrude's mother.
13. What last name was given to Gertrude?
14. What did the people in #12 wrap a newborn baby in during their visit with Tate's tribe?
(a) An American flag.
(b) A muslin cloth.
(c) A buffalo hide.
(d) A blanket.
15. On December 29, 1890, ______________ Indians were massacred at Wounded Knee.
(b) over 300.
(c) nearly 100.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many marriages did Tate have with white men?
2. What animals were slaughtered by the white hunters?
3. What image did Gertrude scratch out in the Bible?
4. Where did the Federal agent tell Gertrude the boarding school was located?
5. Gertrude attended the white man's school what timeframe?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)