|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After being home with her mother for ________________, Gertrude went to another boarding school.
(a) 1 year.
(b) 6 weeks.
(c) 19 months.
(d) 5 months.
2. Who was Tate's son from her second marriage?
3. What was the name of the boarding school?
(a) White's Boarding School.
(b) White's School for Indian Integration.
(c) White's Manual Labor Institute.
(d) White's Christian Day School.
4. Which of the following does NOT describe the character in #21?
5. What last name was given to Gertrude?
6. In Indian society, the elders told stories to teach ______________ to the young people.
7. Why did Gertrude cry at the boarding school?
(a) She was hungry.
(b) She was ill.
(c) She wanted her mother.
(d) She was tired.
8. The Indian children did not have immunity to ______________________.
(a) Asian diseases.
(b) Eastern diseases.
(c) European diseases.
(d) Adult diseases.
9. A white woman tossed Gertrude around like ______________.
(a) a rag.
(b) a rug.
(c) a doll.
(d) an animal.
10. What is the meaning of Zitkala-Sa?
(a) Wise owl.
(c) Blue skies.
(d) Red bird.
11. The Federal agents took away Indian children as young as ___________________.
12. In 1897, Gertrude taught at the most famous Indian boarding school in America located in which state?
13. Which of the following did Gertrude NOT do during her happy Summer days?
(a) Sharpened knives.
(b) Played with her friends.
(c) Impersonated her mother.
(d) Ate sweet root.
14. Where did Gertrude hide to try to avoid getting her hair cut?
(a) In the cellar.
(b) In the chapel.
(c) Under a bed.
(d) In the orchard.
15. Which famous people did Tate tell Gertrude she saw?
(a) Gilchrest and Monnin.
(b) Jefferson and Adams.
(c) Clemons and Tate.
(d) Lewis and Clark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the girls wear at the boarding school?
2. Which of the following was NOT something the government promised the Indians?
3. What did the people in #12 wrap a newborn baby in during their visit with Tate's tribe?
4. On December 29, 1890, ______________ Indians were massacred at Wounded Knee.
5. Where did the Federal agent tell Gertrude the boarding school was located?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)