|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gertrude become at the age of 17?
(a) An activist for Indians' rights.
(b) A young wife who left the area with her husband.
(c) An agent who separated Indian children from their parents.
(d) A young mother who gave up her children.
2. How many children slept in each bed at the boarding house?
3. How old was Gertrude when she wrote a scathing article in "Atlantic Monthly" regarding the mistreatment of Indians?
4. What last name was given to Gertrude?
5. A Quaker woman offered to pay for Gertrude's education at which school?
(b) Earlham College.
(c) University of Detroit.
6. What did the people in #12 wrap a newborn baby in during their visit with Tate's tribe?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A buffalo hide.
(c) An American flag.
(d) A muslin cloth.
7. In what state was Gertrude's second boarding school located?
8. Which famous people did Tate tell Gertrude she saw?
(a) Clemons and Tate.
(b) Lewis and Clark.
(c) Jefferson and Adams.
(d) Gilchrest and Monnin.
9. Gertrude was born on February 22 in what year?
10. What role did Cloud Elk have in the tribe?
(d) Medicine man.
11. A popular topic for Gertrude's speeches was __________________.
(a) Female equality.
(b) Indian rights.
12. A white woman tossed Gertrude around like ______________.
(a) a rug.
(b) an animal.
(c) a rag.
(d) a doll.
13. The Yankton Indians were part of which Indian nation?
14. How old is Gertrude in the chapter, "The Returned Student"?
15. How did Gertrude get revenge on the matron who ordered her to mash the item in #59?
(a) She put a jalapeno pepper in the mashed food.
(b) She ran her dirty fingers through the mashed food.
(c) She spit in the dish of mashed food.
(d) She mashed so hard she broke the jar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Gertrude when she got on the train?
2. Which of the following is NOT something the girls did at the boarding school?
3. In Indian society, the elders told stories to teach ______________ to the young people.
4. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
5. When did Gertrude realize she had made a mistake by going to the boarding school?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)