|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the girls wear at the boarding school?
(a) Stiff dresses.
(b) Long shirt.
(d) Jeans and shirt.
2. Who was David's wife?
3. How many children slept in each bed at the boarding house?
4. Like many Indian children who attended boarding school, Gertrude suffered __________________.
(a) scarlet fever.
(d) an identity crisis.
5. Which of the following was NOT something the government promised the Indians?
6. Who was Tate's son from her second marriage?
7. Why did Gertrude cry at the boarding school?
(a) She was ill.
(b) She wanted her mother.
(c) She was hungry.
(d) She was tired.
8. In what year did Gertrude return home from the second boarding school?
9. What is a winyan?
(a) A brook.
(b) A wound.
(c) A woman.
(d) A bird.
10. What image did Gertrude scratch out in the Bible?
(a) Moses parting the Red Sea.
(b) God descending on clouds.
(c) The devil's eyes.
(d) Jesus with the little children.
11. The Indian children did not have immunity to ______________________.
(a) Adult diseases.
(b) European diseases.
(c) Asian diseases.
(d) Eastern diseases.
12. How did Gertrude travel to the boarding school?
13. Which disease did Gertrude contract while at college?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
14. Why did Gertrude cry on the train?
(a) She had a bad sunburn.
(b) Someone took her bag of possessions.
(c) She was getting the flu.
(d) She realized she had left her mother.
15. According to Gertrude's mother, who were the only people who had their hair cut off?
(a) Unskilled warriors.
(b) White women.
(c) Captured white men.
(d) Little boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. The U.S. government forced Tate to send David to _____________________.
2. The older boys at the school worked as what?
3. What did Gertrude become at the age of 17?
4. Which famous people did Tate tell Gertrude she saw?
5. In which state was the college in #84 located?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)