|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tate teach Gertrude to do?
(a) Catch salmon.
(b) Trap small animals.
(d) Ride a horse.
2. What animals were slaughtered by the white hunters?
3. After being home with her mother for ________________, Gertrude went to another boarding school.
(a) 6 weeks.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 5 months.
(d) 19 months.
4. Which of the following was NOT a behavior exhibited by the Indian children?
(a) They read the Bible.
(b) They wet their beds.
(c) They had diarrhea.
(d) They stopped eating.
5. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
(a) Flirted with the boys.
(b) Played in the snow.
(c) Picked unripe apples.
(d) Wasted their food.
6. What was forbidden to the Indian children?
(a) Going home to see their parents.
(b) Drinking lemonade.
(c) Buying candy.
(d) Telling jokes.
7. Gertrude enjoyed the stories about which Indian character?
8. What was the only way the staff could cut Gertrude's hair?
(a) They threatened to starve her.
(b) They tied her to a chair.
(c) They sedated her.
(d) They waited until she was asleep.
9. Where was the boarding school located?
(a) Wabash, Indiana.
(b) Portland, Indiana.
(c) Indianapolis, Indiana.
(d) Fort Wayne, Indiana.
10. What is the meaning of Zitkala-Sa?
(b) Wise owl.
(c) Blue skies.
(d) Red bird.
11. What did the cutting of Gertrude's braids symbolize?
(a) Rigorous hygiene.
(c) Submission to the white man.
(d) The elimination of vanity.
12. What did the devil in Gertrude's dream symbolize?
(a) Her father.
(b) The president.
(c) The white man.
(d) The headmaster.
13. Which of the following is NOT something the girls did at the boarding school?
(c) Made pottery.
14. A popular topic for Gertrude's speeches was __________________.
(c) Indian rights.
(d) Female equality.
15. Why did so many of the Indian children have chronic health problems or die?
(a) They did not get enough Vitamin C.
(b) They were weak from starvation.
(c) They were always out in inclement weather.
(d) There was no medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Gertrude when she got on the train?
2. Who was David's wife?
3. Which of the following did Gertrude NOT do during her happy Summer days?
4. When did Gertrude realize she had made a mistake by going to the boarding school?
5. The Indian children did not have immunity to ______________________.
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)