|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was David's wife?
2. What is the meaning of Zitkala-Sa?
(a) Red bird.
(b) Wise owl.
(c) Blue skies.
3. Who was Prairie Flower's ill husband?
(a) Red Bird.
(b) Cloud Elk.
(c) Wise Owl.
(d) Moving Wind.
4. Which famous people did Tate tell Gertrude she saw?
(a) Clemons and Tate.
(b) Lewis and Clark.
(c) Jefferson and Adams.
(d) Gilchrest and Monnin.
5. How many children slept in each bed at the boarding house?
6. What did the headmistress do to Totowin for playing in the snow?
(a) She beat her.
(b) She withheld her supper.
(c) She made her wash dishes.
(d) She sent her to her room.
7. The older boys at the school worked as what?
8. Which of the following was NOT a behavior exhibited by the Indian children?
(a) They wet their beds.
(b) They had diarrhea.
(c) They stopped eating.
(d) They read the Bible.
9. Which of the following did Gertrude NOT do during her happy Summer days?
(a) Sharpened knives.
(b) Impersonated her mother.
(c) Played with her friends.
(d) Ate sweet root.
10. According to Gertrude's mother, who were the only people who had their hair cut off?
(a) Little boys.
(b) Captured white men.
(c) Unskilled warriors.
(d) White women.
11. At college, Gertrude won honors in which field?
12. Why did so many of the Indian children have chronic health problems or die?
(a) They did not get enough Vitamin C.
(b) There was no medicine.
(c) They were weak from starvation.
(d) They were always out in inclement weather.
13. A popular topic for Gertrude's speeches was __________________.
(b) Female equality.
(c) Indian rights.
14. Which of the following does NOT describe the character in #21?
15. A Quaker woman offered to pay for Gertrude's education at which school?
(b) University of Detroit.
(c) Earlham College.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Gertrude return to teach in 1891?
2. What did Gertrude and her friends do that the headmistress did not want them to do?
3. The Federal agents took away Indian children as young as ___________________.
4. What did some of the children at the boarding school sneak out to do?
5. The Yankton Indians were part of which Indian nation?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)