|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what state does Kevin Young say that his family hails?
(c) South Carolina.
2. The series of Know Your Rights murals were placed in all of New York City's burroughs, with the exception of which burrough?
(a) Staten Island.
(b) The Bronx.
3. What does the author of "The Condition of Black Life is One of Mourning" ultimately determine is the one feeling that the whole United States needs to share before racially-motivated police brutality can end?
4. What belief did Kiese Laymon's grandmother hold that he points to as the only reason he is alive?
(a) Her belief that he could grow up to be anyone he wanted.
(b) Her belief that hard work could cure any ill.
(c) Her belief that Kiese was a beautiful Southern black boy.
(d) Her belief that what does not kill us makes us stronger.
5. What two things does Kevin Young state that people must not have done in a while if they are surprised by "a white lady darkening her skin and curling her hair"? (106)
(a) They have not opened their eyes or taken a walk.
(b) They have not been out of the house or been online.
(c) They have not watched a sitcom or read a book.
(d) They have not read the newspapers or watched the news.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term used for a person's ability to be regarded as belonging to a different race, culture, or group different from their own?
2. For the completion of what task did Kiese Laymon's grandmother used to stay up late on Saturday nights?
3. What does Kevin Young say in his essay "Blacker Than Thou" that "you have to do...with white people from time to time" (105)?
4. To which book of the Bible does the OutKast song "Da Art of Storytellin' (Pt. 2)" refer?
5. Though Mitchell Jackson's father lived no more than a bike ride away from his mother's home, for how many formative years of his life was Mitchell's father absent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kevin Young write is one of the best things about being black?
2. What does Kevin Young identify as the main problem with Rachel Dolezal's claim of African ancestry?
3. What contrast does the author of "Black and Blue" set up by using a quote from Fats Waller and a quote by Walt Whitman prior to the body of his essay?
4. How is repetition employed within the poem "Queries of Unrest" and to what effect?
5. Why does Kevin Young insert "[name withheld]" rather than naming the killer responsible for the murders in Charleston?
6. What two reasons does the author of "Know Your Rights" give for being bothered by her four-year-old son's tantrum during the family's walk to High Bridge?
7. What was the object mentioned in the very first lines of OutKast's music first heard by Kiese Laymon and why did the object's mention draw him in?
8. What distinction does Kiese Laymon make between "stank" and "freshness" (118) in his essay "Da Art of Storytellin' (A Prequel)"?
9. In what ways did Kiese Laymon feel validated and inspired by the words of Andre 3000 at the Source Awards of 1995?
10. Who does Claudia Rankine name as the person who created "a new pathway for how to think about a lynched body" (147) and what does she mean?
This section contains 1,394 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)