|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Jubilee: "Theories of Time and Space"; "This Far: Notes on Love and Revolution"; "Message to My Daughters".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kiese Laymon states all of the things that the album ATLliens brought him to love about himself, what is an item that is NOT on his list?
(a) His Southernness.
(b) His tendency to anger quickly.
(c) His celibate lifestyle.
(d) His blackness.
2. What two qualities of his grandmother's does Kiese Laymon say he did not understand or feel inspired by until he heard his first OutKast album?
(a) Her light and heat.
(b) Her funk and business sense.
(c) Her stank and freshness.
(d) Her smile and soul.
3. What is the title of Phillis Wheatley's most often-anthologized poem?
(a) "On Being Brought from Africa to America."
(b) "Upon the Burning of Our House."
(c) "The Spider and the Fly."
(d) "To My Dear and Loving Husband."
4. From what state does Kevin Young say that his family hails?
(c) South Carolina.
5. The author of "Where Do We Go from Here?" states that "we must know deep in our bones and in our hearts that if the ancestors survived" what, "we can survive anything" (62)?
(a) Jim Crow laws.
(b) The indignities of slavery.
(c) The Middle Passage.
(d) Systemic racism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other types of work had the editor published before curating The Fire This Time?
2. When the author of the essay "Black and Blue" was warned by university officials to avoid walking in certain areas of the city, what threat does he mistakenly think he is being warned about?
3. What does the author of "This Far: Notes on Love and Revolution" NOT list among the things that people are turned into by the crime of injustice?
4. What musician does Kevin Young name as the most prominent example of a white person living as a black person?
5. Which black female artist's work does Kiese Laymon set up as a counterpoint to the work of OutKast?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)