|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian ask Hephzibah one day while they are in bed?
2. To what does Julian dream he is summoned?
3. Where does Sam find his son?
4. About what is Hephzibah uncertain concerning Julian?
5. How many times does Hephzibah sigh when Julian asks her about Sam?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Hephzibah grieving?
2. What does Sam say about Immanuel's fight?
3. What is the manuscript Tyler leaves for Sam and how does he respond to it?
4. What does Sam doing after losing a lot of money in online poker and who does he encounter?
5. How does Julian cause Libor to cry?
6. How does Julian end up in the hospital?
7. What does Sam think is so beautiful about Kaddish?
8. What concerns Julian about Sam and Hephzibah?
9. Why do Hephzibah and Sam decide to say Kaddish for Libor, and why doesn't Julian do so as well?
10. What does Libor do in Beachy Head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tyler is disappointed in Sam when he publicly announces his shame in the matter of Palestine on the show, and she disapproves of his decision to join the ASHamed Jews; however, Sam feels Tyler is wrong about him joining for acceptance; he feels the need for someone to speak the truth. Julian notices Tyler growing tired and subdued. He tells her he loves her, and she thanks him for making her feel wanted, though she knows he wants Sam more in the sense that he wants Sam's competence to rub off on him.
1. Discuss, in depth, why Tyler might have been disappointed with Sam's public statement. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss why you think Sam believes the way he does about the Palestinian situation and why you think he joined ASHamed. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. What do you think Tyler means by this thought: ulian notices Tyler growing tired and subdued. He tells her he loves her, and she thanks him for making her feel wanted, though she knows he wants Sam more in the sense that he wants Sam's competence to rub off on him. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of prejudice in The Finkler Question. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of grief in The Finkler Question. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in The Finkler Question. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Julian and Sam. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Julian and Libor. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Finkler Question help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)