|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces herself to Sam and Julian?
2. What does the young girl do who is left behind from a group of children?
3. What does Sam call his son?
4. What debate started the scuffle outside the Oxford Union?
5. What does Julian feel he cannot handle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam doing after losing a lot of money in online poker and who does he encounter?
2. What has happened to Immanuel?
3. What worries Hephzibah about Julian?
4. Why do Hephzibah and Sam decide to say Kaddish for Libor, and why doesn't Julian do so as well?
5. Where does Sam say Kaddish?
6. Who is Meyer Abramsky and what did he do?
7. What interrupts Sam's plans to play online poker?
8. How does Julian cause Libor to cry?
9. How does Hephzibah respond when Sam asks her about a special bond between Jews?
10. What does Sam think is so beautiful about Kaddish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Sam first hears that his son was involved in an anti-Semitic incident, he thinks his friends are playing a prank on him to teach him a lesson for his insensitivity earlier in the evening, but since that seems unlikely and he is unable to reach his children when he attempts to contact them, he hires a limo to drive him to Oxford, demonstrating his paternal sentiments. During the drive, he is irrationally anxious, and he curls into a ball and cries because he feels he let Tyler down since he promised to make their children his first priority before she died. He likes his children and wants to make amends for being uninterested in them when they were younger, but he worries it is too late now and wonders if his neglect somehow contributed to the attack.
1. What do you think Sam believing his friends would play a prank on him that involves Antisemitism says about Sam or his friends and their friendship. Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Sam's behavior on the way to his daughter's house is over reacting? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Do you think when children are adults and a parent has not paid much attention to them the relationship can be changed or is it too late? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Finkler Question belongs to the comic novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the comic novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a comic novel and a mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think The Finkler Question is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)