|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What enrages Helen about what Simon says?
2. Where is Mallory bruised?
3. What surprises Simon about Jared and the book Jared found?
4. Where does Jared decide to go?
5. What does the field guide suggest ways to track?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Simon speculate to Jared about Mallory's situation and what does Jared say to him? How does Simon react to Jared's suggestion?
2. How does Jared feel about the trunk in the attic and what does he do with the trunk? What does he find?
3. What does Jared decide to do to calm the boggart and what does he carry into the house? What is his mother's reaction to Jared's load?
4. What does Ms. Grace think about Mallory's situation?
5. What is Jared talking about to Simon when Simon wants to go to sleep?
6. What does Jared think might be in the wall?
7. How does Mrs. Grace feel when she wakes up Jared in the morning and what does she show him?
8. How does Jared's mother feel about him going to the attic?
9. What is Jared doing that night that surprises Simon, what is Simon doing and what is Jared thinking about?
10. What does Jared ask Mallory about her hair and what are Mallory's private doubts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Grace feels the dangers in the house, but is concerned with things like finding out that Jared has been running around the attic.
1. Why do you think Mrs. Grace is alarmed at Jared's behavior? Use examples from The Field Guide and your own life to support your answer.
2. Have you ever felt that life was scary because it was uncertain? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life to support your answer.
3. What are some of the things you think are absolutely certain about life and what are some that you think are completely uncertain?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Field Guide is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Simon find the door through the linen closet that goes into the library, so Mallory is able to join them. This is a metaphor to the effect that Mallory is now backing the twin boys to stop the pranks of the boggart. She believes that the faerie, the boggart, is present in the house.
1. With research, define a metaphor and give two examples of one that is not the one above. Use examples from The Field Guide and your own life to support your answer.
2. Explain the metaphor of Mallory joining the boys in the library. Use examples from The Field Guide and your own life to support your answer.
3. How do you think metaphors enhance a reader's experience? Use examples from The Field Guide and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)