|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jared think there could be in the basement with bad luck?
(a) A bear.
(b) A lot of slime and mold.
(c) A foot of water.
(d) A rattlesnake nest.
2. What do most of the books concern?
(a) Mental illness.
(b) Faeries and mythical creatures.
(c) Child raising.
3. What does the letter in the introduction say happens to the relationship between Holly and Tony?
(a) It is tested.
(b) It changes.
(c) It becomes more acrimonious.
(d) It becomes deeper.
4. What does Jared's mother say to him when they are unloading the car?
(a) The house just needs a little paint.
(b) He has to help his siblings.
(c) It is a chance for them to start over.
(d) He'll make new friends.
5. Who told Mrs. Grace that her Aunt Lucinda thinks little men bring her food?
(a) Uncle Terrence.
(b) Mrs Grace's mother.
(c) Aunt Matilda.
(d) Her sister, Susan.
6. What did Jared not want to admit to his siblings about the sound he heard?
(a) That it could be a ghost.
(b) That it could be dangerous.
(c) That he was going to run away from this awful house.
(d) That it was all in his imagination.
7. What does Simon say to Jared when they are back in their bedroom?
(a) He thinks Jared should get a pet.
(b) He thinks Jared is crazy.
(c) He believes Jared about the note.
(d) He believes Jared is in big trouble.
8. What did Jared see when he sat up after he was awoken?
(a) A white owl on the window sill.
(b) A figure dressed in white.
(c) Simon standing by the window.
(d) A mouse running across the floor.
9. What tended to drown out the noises of Simon's animals in the children's previous house?
(a) Their father's snoring.
(b) The whine of the refrigerator.
(c) Cars and sirens.
(d) The place was sound proof.
10. What does Mallory tell her mother when her mother comes in the kitchen?
(a) She isn't sleepy.
(b) She is thirsty.
(c) There is a squirrel in the wall.
(d) She has forgotten her book.
11. What was on the note Jared found?
(a) Directions to a faerie mound.
(b) The phone number to the insane asylum.
(c) Drawings of a boggart.
(d) A riddle in the form of a poem.
12. Why is Simon concerned about Mallory punching a hole in the wall?
(a) It could make the wall fall down.
(b) She might hurt the squirrel in the wall.
(c) It will produce a lot of dust.
(d) Their mother might see it.
13. What does Mallory grab on Jared?
(a) His shirt.
(b) His shoulder.
(c) His belt.
(d) His pants.
14. What happens when Jared jumps from what he sees?
(a) He sits down.
(b) His candle goes out.
(c) He knocks over the glasses.
(d) He trips on the desk chair.
15. When does Jared say his life started going bad?
(a) When he entered seventh grade.
(b) When his father moved out.
(c) When his father died.
(d) When his best friend moved away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jared think could be in the heating ducts since it is an old house?
2. What did Jared do to block out the noise in the house?
3. What did Mallory give Jared to use for light?
4. What does Mrs. Grace think Jared and Mallory are doing in the kitchen?
5. Who does Jared hear on the stairs?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)