|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Grace come downstairs?
(a) She was thirsty.
(b) Jared made too much noise.
(c) She saw the light on.
(d) She forgot her purse.
2. What kind of relationship do Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi have?
(a) Long time friends.
(b) They are married.
(c) Brother and sister.
(d) He is her editor.
3. What does Mrs. Grace think Jared and Mallory are doing in the kitchen?
(a) Trying to fool her.
(c) Talking about Simon.
4. How does Jared get upstairs on the dumbwaiter?
(a) He pulls up on rungs in the wall like a ladder.
(b) By pushing a button.
(c) Simon and Mallory pulls on the cords.
(d) He pulls himself with the cords on the dumbwaiter.
5. What does the letter in the introduction say happens to the relationship between Holly and Tony?
(a) It changes.
(b) It becomes more acrimonious.
(c) It is tested.
(d) It becomes deeper.
6. What happens when Jared jumps from what he sees?
(a) He sits down.
(b) His candle goes out.
(c) He trips on the desk chair.
(d) He knocks over the glasses.
7. What was the photocopy sent to Holly and Tony?
(a) A copy of a letter from their great uncle.
(b) A picture of their house.
(c) A picture of a nymph.
(d) A page from a book.
8. What did Jared think he probably heard?
(a) Simon playing a joke.
(b) The wind across the roof.
(c) A squirrel.
(d) His mother pulling a chair in the living room.
9. What does Mallory say she heard about their Aunt Lucinda?
(a) She is still waiting for her husband to return.
(b) She is not really insane.
(c) She is willing the house to them.
(d) She was starving herself to death.
10. What did the children hear in the wall?
(a) Someone mumbling to himself.
(c) A low moaning sound.
(d) Small footsteps and scratching.
11. What does Mallory tell her mother when her mother comes in the kitchen?
(a) She isn't sleepy.
(b) She is thirsty.
(c) She has forgotten her book.
(d) There is a squirrel in the wall.
12. When does Jared say his life started going bad?
(a) When he entered seventh grade.
(b) When his father moved out.
(c) When his father died.
(d) When his best friend moved away.
13. What was in the Mason jars Simon carries into the house?
(b) Lightning bugs.
(c) Two king snakes.
14. What was on the desk that caught the light?
(a) Old fashion, round glasses.
(b) Some glass beads.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A prism.
15. What has made many of the bedrooms dangerous?
(a) All the windows are broken and glass is everywhere.
(b) Leaking roof.
(c) Dead animals lying around.
(d) The walls are sagging.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was on the note Jared found?
2. What startled Jared awake the first night?
3. What does Simon ask his mother about having to stay in his room?
4. Why do the children say they cannot send their book by mail?
5. What kind of books does Jared see in the library?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)