|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mallory tell her mother Jared must be?
(a) In the living room.
(b) In bed asleep.
(c) In the bathroom.
(d) Out in the yard.
2. What happens when Jared jumps from what he sees?
(a) He knocks over the glasses.
(b) His candle goes out.
(c) He trips on the desk chair.
(d) He sits down.
3. What did Jared do to block out the noise in the house?
(a) Put in ear plugs.
(b) Cover his head with a pillow.
(c) Shut his bedroom door.
(d) Play his music loud.
4. What does Jared do to keep from screaming?
(a) Bites the inside of his lip.
(b) Hold his hand over his mouth.
(c) Closes his eyes and breaths deeply.
(d) Groans quietly.
5. What does Mallory say she heard about their Aunt Lucinda?
(a) She was starving herself to death.
(b) She is willing the house to them.
(c) She is still waiting for her husband to return.
(d) She is not really insane.
6. How does Jared get upstairs on the dumbwaiter?
(a) Simon and Mallory pulls on the cords.
(b) He pulls up on rungs in the wall like a ladder.
(c) He pulls himself with the cords on the dumbwaiter.
(d) By pushing a button.
7. What was in the kitchen sink when the children arrived in that room?
(a) A garden snake.
(b) A small, funny looking man.
(c) A white rat.
(d) A pan crusted with macaroni and cheese.
8. What was the Graces' previous home?
(a) A ranch style house.
(b) A farm.
(c) A modern beachhome.
(d) A small apartment.
9. What kind of wallpaper was in some of the house?
(a) The wallpaper had all peeled off.
(b) Bright red and black striped wallpaper.
(c) Wallpaper with letters written on it.
(d) Brocaded gold wallpaper.
10. With what does Simon have the dressers covered?
(a) Glass tanks.
(b) All of his books.
(c) His camping equipment.
(d) His stereo equipment.
11. What was the little girl and man doing in the picture?
(a) Playing in the yard.
(b) Reading a book.
(d) Petting a dog.
12. What was the main problem with Jared's mattress?
(a) It smells like dead animals.
(b) It was lumpy.
(c) It was too thin.
(d) It has a hole with stuffing coming out of it.
13. What does Jared's mother say to him when they are unloading the car?
(a) He has to help his siblings.
(b) He'll make new friends.
(c) The house just needs a little paint.
(d) It is a chance for them to start over.
14. What do the Grace children claim about their book?
(a) It was written a thousand years ago.
(b) It identifies faeries and gives ways to protect from them.
(c) It shows how to hypnotize a faery.
(d) It was found in a faery mound near their house.
15. What did Holly and Tony give to the store clerk?
(a) An envelope.
(b) A signed book.
(c) Two tickets to their movie about faeries.
(d) A picture of a faerie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mallory give Jared to use for light?
2. What was the photocopy sent to Holly and Tony?
3. What did Mallory do as she led the boys down the hallway?
4. What does Simon ask his mother about having to stay in his room?
5. What is the result of the dangerous bedrooms?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)