|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the attack, what part of Julia's body is broken?
2. What crop does Richard begin selling to the commercial markets after his parents' funeral?
3. How does Ralph respond when Julia says that she will not announce the name of Clary's killer?
4. Where does Julia plan to raise her baby if she is to raise it as a single mother?
5. How is it rumored that Wideacre grows such a prosperous harvest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Matthew Merry after Clary dies?
2. Why are Clary and Matthew Merry in a fight during Maying?
3. What happens after Richard demands that Julia dress up for a dinner engagement?
4. Why is Ralph arrested?
5. When Ralph asks Julia to look into Richards soul, what does she see there?
6. What do Julia and James witness when they visit the hovel where the slave children live, and what is their response?
7. After the attack, how does Julia make her way home and what does she tell her family?
8. What happens during Richard's physical attack against Julia?
9. What happens during the sickle race on the last day of the harvest?
10. What happens when Julia attempts to write a letter to James after her parents are murdered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, many children are taken from the Acre to work as slaves. Describe the life that these children lead, and explain the impact that Julia had on their lives.
Essay Topic 2
As adults, Julia and Richard learn that they had been raised under a dark lie. Explain the lie that the two had been living under, and the way that the truth directly affects their lives as adults.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, many characters act sacrificially for the benefit of other. Choose one sacrificial character, describe their actions, and explain the impact that their sacrificial actions have on the other characters in the novel.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)