|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is it rumored that Wideacre grows such a prosperous harvest?
2. Who comes to Julia's aid when arguing why she should return to Wideacre?
3. After the attack, what part of Julia's body is broken?
4. What does Ralph warn Julia against if she finds herself "with child"?
5. What does James make the children promise not to use their money to purchase?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julia get Rosie Dench's debt erased?
2. What does Richard admit to Julia when he meets her in Midhurst?
3. Who is Julie, and what information does she give Julia about James?
4. How does Richard respond to Julia's engagement to James?
5. What do Julia and James witness when they visit the hovel where the slave children live, and what is their response?
6. What happens to Matthew Merry after Clary dies?
7. What conversation do Richard and Julia have in regard to her engagement to James?
8. After Julia's encounter with Ralph in the village, what does she dream of when she falls to sleep that night?
9. What happens when Julia attempts to write a letter to James after her parents are murdered?
10. What interesting thing does Julia witness at Clary's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As children, Julia is in love with her cousin Richard and cannot imagine a life without him. Describe the way that Julia treats Richard in their childhood and compare and contrast this treatment with her treatment of him as an adult.
Essay Topic 2
While Julia is in Bath, she meets and becomes engaged to a man named James.
Part 1) Describe the courting period of Julia's and James's relationship.
Part 2) Describe the future that Julia and James planned together.
Part 3) Explain why Julia's and James's wedding never came into fruition.
Essay Topic 3
Ralph plays a vital role in the plot of this novel. Create a timeline of significant events in Ralph's stay at Wideacre, and explain the impact that Ralph has on the lives of both Julia and Richard.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)