|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the linkboy that Julia and James meet leaving the party?
2. Who is accused of stealing wheat from the Wideacre fields?
3. How does Julia get Rosie Dench's debt erased?
4. How does Richard respond to Julia's engagement to James?
5. Now that Julia is no longer a virgin, what does Richard say that she has no hope for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact does the sudden pregnancy have on Julia's life?
2. What does Julia learn when she encounters the linkboy?
3. How does Richard and Julia's wedding progress?
4. What conversation do Richard and Julia have in regard to her engagement to James?
5. What happens when Richard is allowed to hold Ralph's goshawk?
6. What is "Maying," and how is it celebrated?
7. After Julia's encounter with Ralph in the village, what does she dream of when she falls to sleep that night?
8. What happens to Uncle John and Celia when they set out to have Julia's marriage annulled?
9. How does Julia convince her family that it is time for her to return to Wideacre from Bath?
10. How does Richard respond to Julia's engagement to James?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julia is governed under the deeply patriarchal society perpetuated by the beliefs of her Grandmamma.
Part 1) Describe the way that Grandmamma believes a woman should act in this society.
Part 2) Explain the way that Grandmamma's beliefs directly affect Julia's relationships with men.
Part 3) Explain how Julia eventually begins to fight against Grandmamma's beliefs about gender roles and the impact that fight has on Julia's life.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, many children are taken from the Acre to work as slaves. Describe the life that these children lead, and explain the impact that Julia had on their lives.
Essay Topic 3
There are two doctors that play vital roles in Julia's life throughout the novel. Describe both doctors, and explain the ways that they directly impact Julia's life at Wideacre.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)