|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richard treat the profit-sharing agreement Uncle John implemented?
2. On the day of the reaping, what does a village child beg off of Julia's riding garments?
3. When Julia has a dream on the night after she is confronted by Ralph, what does she shout?
4. When Julia returns home after the attack, who helps her off her horse, squeezing her around the waist?
5. After the attack, what does Julia tell her family happened to her while she was out riding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interesting thing does Julia witness at Clary's funeral?
2. How does Julia convince her family that it is time for her to return to Wideacre from Bath?
3. What impact does the sudden pregnancy have on Julia's life?
4. What happens to Uncle John and Celia when they set out to have Julia's marriage annulled?
5. What do Julia and James witness when they visit the hovel where the slave children live, and what is their response?
6. What happens when Julia attempts to write a letter to James after her parents are murdered?
7. What conversation do Richard and Julia have in regard to her engagement to James?
8. What does Julia learn when she encounters the linkboy?
9. What happens when Julia encounters Ralph while she is experiencing morning sickness?
10. What happens when Richard is allowed to hold Ralph's goshawk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle John and Celia have vastly different parenting techniques. Compare and contrast the two characters as parents, and explain the impact that they each have directly on the children of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
As adults, Julia and Richard learn that they had been raised under a dark lie. Explain the lie that the two had been living under, and the way that the truth directly affects their lives as adults.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Julia is burdened with various recurring dreams. Choose one of the recurring dreams that Julia has, explain the symbolic significance. Finally, explain how the dream eventually morphs into a reality for Julia and what its consequences were.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)