|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in Julia's family is the first to hear of Julia's pregnancy?
2. What does Ralph warn Julia against if she finds herself "with child"?
3. Which errand does Julia call for Jimmy Dart to run for her?
4. How does Uncle John respond to the news that Julia will be coming home from Dr. Phillips?
5. What happens to Matthew Merry after he is sent to prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "Maying," and how is it celebrated?
2. What happens when Julia attempts to write a letter to James after her parents are murdered?
3. How does Julia feel about her relationship with James upon leaving Bath?
4. What happens to Uncle John and Celia when they set out to have Julia's marriage annulled?
5. What does Julia learn when she encounters the linkboy?
6. What interesting thing does Julia witness at Clary's funeral?
7. What happens during the sickle race on the last day of the harvest?
8. What does Richard admit to Julia when he meets her in Midhurst?
9. After Julia's encounter with Ralph in the village, what does she dream of when she falls to sleep that night?
10. What conversation do Richard and Julia have in regard to her engagement to James?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As adults, Julia and Richard learn that they had been raised under a dark lie. Explain the lie that the two had been living under, and the way that the truth directly affects their lives as adults.
Essay Topic 2
Julia is governed under the deeply patriarchal society perpetuated by the beliefs of her Grandmamma.
Part 1) Describe the way that Grandmamma believes a woman should act in this society.
Part 2) Explain the way that Grandmamma's beliefs directly affect Julia's relationships with men.
Part 3) Explain how Julia eventually begins to fight against Grandmamma's beliefs about gender roles and the impact that fight has on Julia's life.
Essay Topic 3
The novel "The Favored Child" works in a trilogy of Phillipa Gregory novels entitled "Wideacre." Explain how this novel functions as the second in a set of three novels. What history do you expect was presented in the first novel, and what loose ends do you expect the third novel to tie up?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)