|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Julia plan to raise her baby if she is to raise it as a single mother?
2. How does Julia get Rosie Dench's debt erased?
3. Why is Richard granted a brief leave from school?
4. What does Julie do for a living?
5. Who is accused of stealing wheat from the Wideacre fields?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Julia encounters Ralph while she is experiencing morning sickness?
2. Why is Ralph arrested?
3. How does Richard respond to Julia's engagement to James?
4. What is "Maying," and how is it celebrated?
5. How does Julia feel about her relationship with James upon leaving Bath?
6. What happens during Richard's physical attack against Julia?
7. After Julia's encounter with Ralph in the village, what does she dream of when she falls to sleep that night?
8. Why are Clary and Matthew Merry in a fight during Maying?
9. What impact does the sudden pregnancy have on Julia's life?
10. What happens after Richard demands that Julia dress up for a dinner engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, many children are taken from the Acre to work as slaves. Describe the life that these children lead, and explain the impact that Julia had on their lives.
Essay Topic 2
The novel "The Favored Child" works in a trilogy of Phillipa Gregory novels entitled "Wideacre." Explain how this novel functions as the second in a set of three novels. What history do you expect was presented in the first novel, and what loose ends do you expect the third novel to tie up?
Essay Topic 3
As an adult, Richard kills many characters. Choose two characters, describe their murders, and explain the impact that these murders have on the plot of the novel.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)