|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which errand does Julia call for Jimmy Dart to run for her?
2. How does Richard treat the profit-sharing agreement Uncle John implemented?
3. What does Julie do for a living?
4. After Julia is presented with the doll on reaping day, what does her family realize about her?
5. What color were the pearls that Richard presented Julia with at dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Julia encounters Ralph while she is experiencing morning sickness?
2. How does Richard and Julia's wedding progress?
3. After the attack, how does Julia make her way home and what does she tell her family?
4. Why are Clary and Matthew Merry in a fight during Maying?
5. What is the revelation that Uncle John admits to Julia and Richard after the sickle race?
6. What happens to Uncle John and Celia when they set out to have Julia's marriage annulled?
7. What interesting thing does Julia witness at Clary's funeral?
8. What do Julia and James witness when they visit the hovel where the slave children live, and what is their response?
9. How does Richard respond to Julia's engagement to James?
10. After Julia's encounter with Ralph in the village, what does she dream of when she falls to sleep that night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, many characters act sacrificially for the benefit of other. Choose one sacrificial character, describe their actions, and explain the impact that their sacrificial actions have on the other characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Julia is governed under the deeply patriarchal society perpetuated by the beliefs of her Grandmamma.
Part 1) Describe the way that Grandmamma believes a woman should act in this society.
Part 2) Explain the way that Grandmamma's beliefs directly affect Julia's relationships with men.
Part 3) Explain how Julia eventually begins to fight against Grandmamma's beliefs about gender roles and the impact that fight has on Julia's life.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, many children are taken from the Acre to work as slaves. Describe the life that these children lead, and explain the impact that Julia had on their lives.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)