|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As she leaves for Wideacre, how does Julia feel about her relationship with James?
2. When Julia receives her first letter from James, what does it tell her?
3. What does a linkboy carry?
4. What crop does Julia sow in preparation for the harvest season?
5. How does the bird respond to being held by Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Matthew Merry after Clary dies?
2. What is "Maying," and how is it celebrated?
3. What conversation do Richard and Julia have in regard to her engagement to James?
4. What happens when Julia encounters Ralph while she is experiencing morning sickness?
5. How does Julia feel about her relationship with James upon leaving Bath?
6. Why are Clary and Matthew Merry in a fight during Maying?
7. What impact does the sudden pregnancy have on Julia's life?
8. What happens to Uncle John and Celia when they set out to have Julia's marriage annulled?
9. What does Richard admit to Julia when he meets her in Midhurst?
10. Why is Ralph arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julia has very close and unusual relationship with her deceased Aunt Beatrice. Compare and contrast the two female characters and their relationship to Wideacre.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her life, Julia has two friends, Clary and Marianne. Describe each of these female characters, and explain the impact that each of these friendships have on Julia's life.
Essay Topic 3
Uncle John and Celia have vastly different parenting techniques. Compare and contrast the two characters as parents, and explain the impact that they each have directly on the children of the novel.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)