|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his parents' death, what is Richard's greatest concern?
2. How does Julia get Rosie Dench's debt erased?
3. Which activity to Richard and Julia partake in on Sunday afternoons?
4. Which of the following is NOT suggested by Uncle John as a way of rectifying the problem between Julia and Richard?
5. When Julia returns home after the attack, who helps her off her horse, squeezing her around the waist?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julia convince her family that it is time for her to return to Wideacre from Bath?
2. What interesting thing does Julia witness at Clary's funeral?
3. What is the revelation that Uncle John admits to Julia and Richard after the sickle race?
4. How does Richard react when he finds out that Julia is pregnant?
5. After the attack, how does Julia make her way home and what does she tell her family?
6. What impact does the sudden pregnancy have on Julia's life?
7. What happens when Julia attempts to write a letter to James after her parents are murdered?
8. When Ralph asks Julia to look into Richards soul, what does she see there?
9. What happens during the sickle race on the last day of the harvest?
10. What happens after Richard demands that Julia dress up for a dinner engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Julia is in Bath, she meets and becomes engaged to a man named James.
Part 1) Describe the courting period of Julia's and James's relationship.
Part 2) Describe the future that Julia and James planned together.
Part 3) Explain why Julia's and James's wedding never came into fruition.
Essay Topic 2
The novel "The Favored Child" works in a trilogy of Phillipa Gregory novels entitled "Wideacre." Explain how this novel functions as the second in a set of three novels. What history do you expect was presented in the first novel, and what loose ends do you expect the third novel to tie up?
Essay Topic 3
Richard spends his entire life tormenting Julia. Choose three examples of times that Richard tormented Julia, and explain the impact of his torment on Julia's adult life.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)