|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument is used in a race on the last day of reaping?
2. How does Richard treat the profit-sharing agreement Uncle John implemented?
3. When Julia returns home after the attack, who helps her off her horse, squeezing her around the waist?
4. How does Julia find out that she is pregnant?
5. What does a linkboy carry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julia convince her family that it is time for her to return to Wideacre from Bath?
2. How does Richard react when he finds out that Julia is pregnant?
3. What do Julia and James witness when they visit the hovel where the slave children live, and what is their response?
4. Who is Julie, and what information does she give Julia about James?
5. What happens during the sickle race on the last day of the harvest?
6. After Julia's encounter with Ralph in the village, what does she dream of when she falls to sleep that night?
7. What happens when Richard is allowed to hold Ralph's goshawk?
8. What impact does the sudden pregnancy have on Julia's life?
9. How does Richard and Julia's wedding progress?
10. What is "Maying," and how is it celebrated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle John and Celia have vastly different parenting techniques. Compare and contrast the two characters as parents, and explain the impact that they each have directly on the children of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his life, Richard has problems with the animals of Wideacre. Describe three examples of scenes involving Richard's interactions with animals, and explain why the animals of Wideacre have similar responses to Richard whenever he was near them.
Essay Topic 3
Richard spends his entire life tormenting Julia. Choose three examples of times that Richard tormented Julia, and explain the impact of his torment on Julia's adult life.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)