|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Julia receives her first letter from James, what does it tell her?
2. What does Ralph predict will someday happen to the land of Wideacre?
3. During the time that he has been away from Julia, where has James been?
4. How does Richard respond when he hears that Julia is pregnant?
5. How does Julia get Rosie Dench's debt erased?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard respond to Julia's engagement to James?
2. What impact does the sudden pregnancy have on Julia's life?
3. When Ralph asks Julia to look into Richards soul, what does she see there?
4. What happens when Julia attempts to write a letter to James after her parents are murdered?
5. What happens during the sickle race on the last day of the harvest?
6. After Julia's encounter with Ralph in the village, what does she dream of when she falls to sleep that night?
7. Who is Julie, and what information does she give Julia about James?
8. What is the revelation that Uncle John admits to Julia and Richard after the sickle race?
9. How does Julia get Rosie Dench's debt erased?
10. Why is Ralph arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, many children are taken from the Acre to work as slaves. Describe the life that these children lead, and explain the impact that Julia had on their lives.
Essay Topic 2
The novel "The Favored Child" works in a trilogy of Phillipa Gregory novels entitled "Wideacre." Explain how this novel functions as the second in a set of three novels. What history do you expect was presented in the first novel, and what loose ends do you expect the third novel to tie up?
Essay Topic 3
The fields of Wideacre set the stage for the entire novel. Explain how the fields display a theme of class among the people in Wideacre, and explain how Uncle John sets a plan in motion that attempts to equalize the profits of the Wideacre fields.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)