Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After planning the crops for the year, how much of the harvest will be sold at a fair price to the villagers?
2. In what century was Julia born?
3. What does the doctor that Julia is being sent to specialize in?
4. Which character in the novel is put in charge of starting a school for the village children?
5. After discussing Richard's temper with Julia, what does Ralph call Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Richard is allowed to hold Ralph's goshawk?
2. Why is Dench fired from his position in the stable houses?
3. What does Richard admit to Julia when he meets her in Midhurst?
4. How does Wideacre deal with the news that Ralph has escaped from prison?
5. What recurring dream does Julia have as an adult?
6. How does Julia convince her family that it is time for her to return to Wideacre from Bath?
7. Why is Ralph arrested?
8. What happens when Julia, RIchard, and Ralph go into the village in search of Julia's lost glove?
9. How do Uncle John and Celia react to Julia's visionary dreams?
10. How does Julia feel about her conversations with Dr. Phillips and his medical practices?
Essay Topic 1
The fields of Wideacre set the stage for the entire novel. Explain how the fields display a theme of class among the people in Wideacre, and explain how Uncle John sets a plan in motion that attempts to equalize the profits of the Wideacre fields.
Essay Topic 2
Julia is governed under the deeply patriarchal society perpetuated by the beliefs of her Grandmamma.
Part 1) Describe the way that Grandmamma believes a woman should act in this society.
Part 2) Explain the way that Grandmamma's beliefs directly affect Julia's relationships with men.
Part 3) Explain how Julia eventually begins to fight against Grandmamma's beliefs about gender roles and the impact that fight has on Julia's life.
Essay Topic 3
Richard spends his entire life tormenting Julia. Choose three examples of times that Richard tormented Julia, and explain the impact of his torment on Julia's adult life.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)