|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James Fortescue think of Dr. Phillips?
2. What is Uncle John's plan to cut hourly wages from the Wideacre employees?
3. What do Celia and Julia rent from Mrs. Gibson?
4. After leaving the village and meeting Dench, what does Ralph admit to Julia?
5. How does Julia explain her gardening techniques?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction to Uncle John catching Julia gardening?
2. What is the reaction among Wideacre estates to Uncle John's payment plan?
3. How does Julia feel about her conversations with Dr. Phillips and his medical practices?
4. Why is Dench fired from his position in the stable houses?
5. How does Celia respond to the constant comparison of Julia's looks to her sister Beatrice's?
6. What does Julia see while swimming with Clary in the river?
7. How does it come to pass that Richard strikes Julia with his riding crop?
8. How does Uncle John initially respond to being back at Wideacre estates?
9. How do Uncle John and Celia react to Julia's visionary dreams?
10. How does Julia respond to being asked to orchestrate the planting of an apple orchard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As adults, Julia and Richard learn that they had been raised under a dark lie. Explain the lie that the two had been living under, and the way that the truth directly affects their lives as adults.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his life, Richard has problems with the animals of Wideacre. Describe three examples of scenes involving Richard's interactions with animals, and explain why the animals of Wideacre have similar responses to Richard whenever he was near them.
Essay Topic 3
As an adult, Richard kills many characters. Choose two characters, describe their murders, and explain the impact that these murders have on the plot of the novel.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)