|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Julia tempted to bring the horse out of the stable?
2. What does Julia immediately realize about herself when she arrives in Bath?
3. Which character in the novel is put in charge of starting a school for the village children?
4. What color is the horse that Ralph brings for Julia?
5. As Julia explains it to Ralph, why doesn't she have a horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julia feel about having meeting and having to visit with Dr. Phillips?
2. What gift does Ralph bring for Julia, and what is the response to his gift?
3. How does Julia feel about her conversations with Dr. Phillips and his medical practices?
4. How does Uncle John plan to reinvent the way that the Wideacre employees are paid, and why?
5. How does Celia respond to the constant comparison of Julia's looks to her sister Beatrice's?
6. What happens when Julia, RIchard, and Ralph go into the village in search of Julia's lost glove?
7. How does Julia meet Clary Dench?
8. What is the reaction among Wideacre estates to Uncle John's payment plan?
9. How do the villagers respond after hearing Julia's dream?
10. What recurring dream does Julia have as an adult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julia has very close and unusual relationship with her deceased Aunt Beatrice. Compare and contrast the two female characters and their relationship to Wideacre.
Essay Topic 2
Julia's life runs almost parallel to her Aunt Beatrice's life. Compare and contrast the romantic lives that both these women lead, and explain why Julia is the character that Beatrice used to speak through, even after death.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, many characters act sacrificially for the benefit of other. Choose one sacrificial character, describe their actions, and explain the impact that their sacrificial actions have on the other characters in the novel.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)