|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who catches Julia gardening and comments on her talent?
2. Which of the following characters have plans to become the next owner of the Wideacre estate?
3. What does Uncle John give to Julia for her birthday on the day that he returns from the mines?
4. How does Julia refer to her cousin Richard?
5. Who does James suggest that Julia should elope with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Celia respond to the constant comparison of Julia's looks to her sister Beatrice's?
2. How does Julia feel about having meeting and having to visit with Dr. Phillips?
3. How does Julia respond to being asked to orchestrate the planting of an apple orchard?
4. How does Celia respond to starting a school for the village children.
5. How is Ralph Megson welcomed to Wideacre estate?
6. How do the villagers respond after hearing Julia's dream?
7. How does it come to pass that Richard strikes Julia with his riding crop?
8. How does Uncle John initially respond to being back at Wideacre estates?
9. After the visit to the village, what interesting visions does Julia begin to have regarding Ralph Megson?
10. What is the reaction among Wideacre estates to Uncle John's payment plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As children, Julia is in love with her cousin Richard and cannot imagine a life without him. Describe the way that Julia treats Richard in their childhood and compare and contrast this treatment with her treatment of him as an adult.
Essay Topic 2
The novel "The Favored Child" works in a trilogy of Phillipa Gregory novels entitled "Wideacre." Explain how this novel functions as the second in a set of three novels. What history do you expect was presented in the first novel, and what loose ends do you expect the third novel to tie up?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, many children are taken from the Acre to work as slaves. Describe the life that these children lead, and explain the impact that Julia had on their lives.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)