|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a subject taught at the school for village children?
2. Which of the following characters does NOT encourage Julia to embrace her magical heritage?
3. When Uncle John returns from the mines, what is he disappointed to see in Richard?
4. How does Julia thank James for his words of kindness to her?
5. When Julia confronts Celia about her resemblance to Beatrice, how does Celia respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dench fired from his position in the stable houses?
2. How does Uncle John plan to reinvent the way that the Wideacre employees are paid, and why?
3. How does James encourage Julia to embrace her heritage?
4. How do Uncle John and Celia react to Julia's visionary dreams?
5. What is the reaction to Uncle John catching Julia gardening?
6. How does it come to pass that Richard strikes Julia with his riding crop?
7. How does Julia feel about her conversations with Dr. Phillips and his medical practices?
8. How does Julia meet Clary Dench?
9. What gift does Ralph bring for Julia, and what is the response to his gift?
10. How does Richard respond to the news that Julia is going to be sent away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ralph plays a vital role in the plot of this novel. Create a timeline of significant events in Ralph's stay at Wideacre, and explain the impact that Ralph has on the lives of both Julia and Richard.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her life, Julia has two friends, Clary and Marianne. Describe each of these female characters, and explain the impact that each of these friendships have on Julia's life.
Essay Topic 3
As children, Julia is in love with her cousin Richard and cannot imagine a life without him. Describe the way that Julia treats Richard in their childhood and compare and contrast this treatment with her treatment of him as an adult.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)