|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julia decide to name her new horse, gifted from Ralph?
2. Which of the following events does Julia NOT attend with Marianne?
3. In what century was Julia born?
4. How does Julia introduce Dench to the new hire, Ralph?
5. Why is Julia tempted to bring the horse out of the stable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Richard's horse after Julia has been given permission to take riding lessons on him?
2. When Ralph asks Julia to look into Richards soul, what does she see there?
3. What happens during the sickle race on the last day of the harvest?
4. What conversation do Richard and Julia have in regard to her engagement to James?
5. What happens when Julia attempts to write a letter to James after her parents are murdered?
6. What dream does Julia have that prompts her to go and speak to the village people?
7. What happens after Richard demands that Julia dress up for a dinner engagement?
8. What does Richard admit to Julia when he meets her in Midhurst?
9. How does it come to pass that Richard strikes Julia with his riding crop?
10. How does Richard respond to the news that Julia is going to be sent away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julia's life runs almost parallel to her Aunt Beatrice's life. Compare and contrast the romantic lives that both these women lead, and explain why Julia is the character that Beatrice used to speak through, even after death.
Essay Topic 2
The fields of Wideacre set the stage for the entire novel. Explain how the fields display a theme of class among the people in Wideacre, and explain how Uncle John sets a plan in motion that attempts to equalize the profits of the Wideacre fields.
Essay Topic 3
While Julia is in Bath, she meets and becomes engaged to a man named James.
Part 1) Describe the courting period of Julia's and James's relationship.
Part 2) Describe the future that Julia and James planned together.
Part 3) Explain why Julia's and James's wedding never came into fruition.
This section contains 1,550 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)