|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rationalization does Julia give for the way that old people in the village greet her?
2. As children, what did Julia and Robert promise to do?
3. What has Julia lost in the village, prompting her, Richard, and Ralph to go back searching for it?
4. What impediment affects Matthew Merry?
5. What is Julia's relationship to James?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ralph Megson welcomed to Wideacre estate?
2. How does Julia respond to being asked to orchestrate the planting of an apple orchard?
3. How does Julia's relationship with James change over the course of their meetings?
4. How does Aunt Beatrice die?
5. What gift does Ralph bring for Julia, and what is the response to his gift?
6. What happens when the slavers come to Wideacre?
7. How does it come to pass that Richard strikes Julia with his riding crop?
8. What does Julia see while swimming with Clary in the river?
9. How do the villagers respond after hearing Julia's dream?
10. How does James encourage Julia to embrace her heritage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As adults, Julia and Richard learn that they had been raised under a dark lie. Explain the lie that the two had been living under, and the way that the truth directly affects their lives as adults.
Essay Topic 2
Ralph plays a vital role in the plot of this novel. Create a timeline of significant events in Ralph's stay at Wideacre, and explain the impact that Ralph has on the lives of both Julia and Richard.
Essay Topic 3
Uncle John and Celia have vastly different parenting techniques. Compare and contrast the two characters as parents, and explain the impact that they each have directly on the children of the novel.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)