|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As children, what did Julia and Robert promise to do?
2. In which country are there rebellions leading to beheadings, as mentioned in the novel?
3. How does James respond to Julia's prophetic dreams?
4. Which of the following characters does NOT encourage Julia to embrace her magical heritage?
5. What impediment affects Matthew Merry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Uncle John respond to the woman who arrives at his doorstep with a sick child in her arms?
2. What does Julia see while swimming with Clary in the river?
3. How does James encourage Julia to embrace her heritage?
4. What recurring dream does Julia have as an adult?
5. What is the reaction to Uncle John catching Julia gardening?
6. How do the villagers respond after hearing Julia's dream?
7. How does Aunt Beatrice die?
8. How do Uncle John and Celia react to Julia's visionary dreams?
9. How does Julia feel about having meeting and having to visit with Dr. Phillips?
10. How does Richard respond to the news that Julia is going to be sent away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle John and Celia have vastly different parenting techniques. Compare and contrast the two characters as parents, and explain the impact that they each have directly on the children of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
There are two doctors that play vital roles in Julia's life throughout the novel. Describe both doctors, and explain the ways that they directly impact Julia's life at Wideacre.
Essay Topic 3
Richard spends his entire life tormenting Julia. Choose three examples of times that Richard tormented Julia, and explain the impact of his torment on Julia's adult life.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)