|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who convinces Ralph to abide by Uncle John's new plan?
2. What does Julia do with the extra trees from her orchard?
3. In which of the following places has Julia NOT had an encounter with her Aunt Beatrice?
4. What is the estate that Julia was raised on called?
5. Why is Julia tempted to bring the horse out of the stable?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does it come to pass that Richard strikes Julia with his riding crop?
2. What gift does Ralph bring for Julia, and what is the response to his gift?
3. What happens when the slavers come to Wideacre?
4. How does Aunt Beatrice die?
5. How does Julia feel about her conversations with Dr. Phillips and his medical practices?
6. How do the villagers respond after hearing Julia's dream?
7. How does Julia meet Clary Dench?
8. How do Uncle John and Celia react to Julia's visionary dreams?
9. Why is Dench fired from his position in the stable houses?
10. How does Julia's relationship with James change over the course of their meetings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard and Julia were raised on Wideacre in seeming bliss.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the childhood that both of these children experience.
Part 2) Explain the meaning that Wideacre had to each child as they progress into adulthood.
Part 3) Explain why these two children, who were raised on the same land, grow into such polarized adults.
Essay Topic 2
There are two doctors that play vital roles in Julia's life throughout the novel. Describe both doctors, and explain the ways that they directly impact Julia's life at Wideacre.
Essay Topic 3
As an adult, Richard kills many characters. Choose two characters, describe their murders, and explain the impact that these murders have on the plot of the novel.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)