|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who convinces Julia that if she believes in her dream she must warn the villagers?
2. What do the village children dare Julia to steal from the parson's garden?
3. How was Julia's Aunt Beatrice killed?
4. What happens when Richard demands that Ralph be fired?
5. How does Ralph respond to Uncle John's plan when Richard presents it to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aunt Beatrice die?
2. What gift does Ralph bring for Julia, and what is the response to his gift?
3. Why is Dench fired from his position in the stable houses?
4. How does it come to pass that Richard strikes Julia with his riding crop?
5. What dream does Julia have that prompts her to go and speak to the village people?
6. How does Julia respond to being asked to orchestrate the planting of an apple orchard?
7. What recurring dream does Julia have as an adult?
8. After the visit to the village, what interesting visions does Julia begin to have regarding Ralph Megson?
9. How does Julia feel about her conversations with Dr. Phillips and his medical practices?
10. What happens when the slavers come to Wideacre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julia is governed under the deeply patriarchal society perpetuated by the beliefs of her Grandmamma.
Part 1) Describe the way that Grandmamma believes a woman should act in this society.
Part 2) Explain the way that Grandmamma's beliefs directly affect Julia's relationships with men.
Part 3) Explain how Julia eventually begins to fight against Grandmamma's beliefs about gender roles and the impact that fight has on Julia's life.
Essay Topic 2
Richard spends his entire life tormenting Julia. Choose three examples of times that Richard tormented Julia, and explain the impact of his torment on Julia's adult life.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, many children are taken from the Acre to work as slaves. Describe the life that these children lead, and explain the impact that Julia had on their lives.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)