|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impediment affects Matthew Merry?
2. After leaving the village and meeting Dench, what does Ralph admit to Julia?
3. How does Julia explain her gardening techniques?
4. After discussing Richard's temper with Julia, what does Ralph call Richard?
5. After Julia is given permission to take riding lessons, what happens to the horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julia feel about having meeting and having to visit with Dr. Phillips?
2. Why is Dench fired from his position in the stable houses?
3. How does Uncle John initially respond to being back at Wideacre estates?
4. After the visit to the village, what interesting visions does Julia begin to have regarding Ralph Megson?
5. How does Celia respond to the constant comparison of Julia's looks to her sister Beatrice's?
6. How does Julia's relationship with James change over the course of their meetings?
7. How does it come to pass that Richard strikes Julia with his riding crop?
8. What happens when the slavers come to Wideacre?
9. How is Ralph Megson welcomed to Wideacre estate?
10. How does James encourage Julia to embrace her heritage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel "The Favored Child" works in a trilogy of Phillipa Gregory novels entitled "Wideacre." Explain how this novel functions as the second in a set of three novels. What history do you expect was presented in the first novel, and what loose ends do you expect the third novel to tie up?
Essay Topic 2
As children, Julia is in love with her cousin Richard and cannot imagine a life without him. Describe the way that Julia treats Richard in their childhood and compare and contrast this treatment with her treatment of him as an adult.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Julia is burdened with various recurring dreams. Choose one of the recurring dreams that Julia has, explain the symbolic significance. Finally, explain how the dream eventually morphs into a reality for Julia and what its consequences were.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)