|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As children, what did Julia and Robert promise to do?
2. How does Julia introduce Dench to the new hire, Ralph?
3. What do Celia and Julia rent from Mrs. Gibson?
4. Who convinces Ralph to abide by Uncle John's new plan?
5. What happens when Richard demands that Ralph be fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Julia, RIchard, and Ralph go into the village in search of Julia's lost glove?
2. What happens to Richard's horse after Julia has been given permission to take riding lessons on him?
3. How does Julia feel about her conversations with Dr. Phillips and his medical practices?
4. What happens when the slavers come to Wideacre?
5. Why is Dench fired from his position in the stable houses?
6. How does James encourage Julia to embrace her heritage?
7. How does Celia respond to the constant comparison of Julia's looks to her sister Beatrice's?
8. How does Julia respond to being asked to orchestrate the planting of an apple orchard?
9. How does Julia's relationship with James change over the course of their meetings?
10. How does Uncle John plan to reinvent the way that the Wideacre employees are paid, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fields of Wideacre set the stage for the entire novel. Explain how the fields display a theme of class among the people in Wideacre, and explain how Uncle John sets a plan in motion that attempts to equalize the profits of the Wideacre fields.
Essay Topic 2
In their teenage years, both Julia and Richard are put in charge of various tasks on Wideacre. Explain the tasks that each character is put in charge of, and compare and contrast their management styles.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, many characters act sacrificially for the benefit of other. Choose one sacrificial character, describe their actions, and explain the impact that their sacrificial actions have on the other characters in the novel.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)