|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Richard granted a brief leave from school?
(a) To go to a funeral.
(b) To go to the hospital.
(c) To get married.
(d) To visit a friend.
2. When Julia returns to Wideacre, what has Uncle John done to the dowry house?
(a) Completely redecorated it.
(b) Transformed it into a livestock shed.
(c) Burned it to the ground.
(d) Locked the doors with large chains.
3. What happens to Matthew Merry after he is sent to prison?
(a) He is killed by another inmate.
(b) He dies of a broken heart.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He is sent to the mental ward of the prison.
4. During the time that he has been away from Julia, where has James been?
(a) At Yale.
(b) At Princeton.
(c) At Oxford.
(d) At Stanford.
5. How does Richard respond when he hears that Julia is pregnant?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is proud.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is anxious.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Celia believe that everyone thinks Julia resembles Beatrice?
2. Where are Uncle John and Celia's bodies found?
3. What is the name of the town where Julia arranges to meet Richard to tell him her news?
4. How does Julia respond when Richard tells her that he loves her?
5. Now that Julia is no longer a virgin, what does Richard say that she has no hope for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julia get Rosie Dench's debt erased?
2. What conversation do Richard and Julia have in regard to her engagement to James?
3. How does Julia convince her family that it is time for her to return to Wideacre from Bath?
4. What happens during Richard's physical attack against Julia?
5. Why are Clary and Matthew Merry in a fight during Maying?
6. What happens when Julia attempts to write a letter to James after her parents are murdered?
7. How does Richard respond to Julia's engagement to James?
8. After Julia's encounter with Ralph in the village, what does she dream of when she falls to sleep that night?
9. Who is Julie, and what information does she give Julia about James?
10. What is "Maying," and how is it celebrated?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)