|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is accused of stealing wheat from the Wideacre fields?
(a) Dench, the groom.
(b) Rosie Dench.
(d) Jimmy Dart.
2. Who does Ralph suggest could relieve Julia of her pregnancy?
(a) Dr. Pearce.
(b) Dr. Phillips.
(c) A gypsy woman.
(d) Celia Lacey.
3. How does Julia explain away her swelling stomach?
(a) She says that she is "with child."
(b) She says that she is "full of undigested bread."
(c) She says that she is "welled up with magic."
(d) She says that she is "unable to process water."
4. After visiting the shopkeeper, what does James ask of Julia?
(a) To marry him.
(b) To travel to Spain with him.
(c) To never speak to him again.
(d) To loan him money for school.
5. How does Richard respond when he hears that Julia is pregnant?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is proud.
(c) He is anxious.
(d) He is angry.
6. What does Julie do for a living?
(a) She is a prostitute.
(b) She is a seamstress.
(c) She is a cleaner.
(d) She is a teacher.
7. As Julia leaves for Wideacre, what is her biggest fear about her relationship with James?
(a) That the two will never be together.
(b) That James will meet another woman.
(c) That she will no longer love James upon returning home.
(d) That Richard will not approve of their relationship.
8. What type of doll is presented to Julia after the race on reaping day?
(a) A corn husk doll.
(b) A flour sac doll.
(c) A wooden doll.
(d) A deer hide doll.
9. When Julia looks over at Richard during the funeral, what is he doing?
10. What does a linkboy carry?
(a) A gun.
(b) A basket.
(c) A chain.
(d) A torch.
11. Where is Clary's body found?
(a) Lying peacefully in her bed.
(b) Floating down the river.
(c) Cradled in Matthew Merry's arms.
(d) Buried in a shallow grave.
12. What does Rosie Dench embroider?
13. Who encourages Julia to end her relationship with Dr. Phillips?
14. After his parents' death, what is Richard's greatest concern?
(a) The safety of his unborn baby.
(b) Keeping the villagers peaceful.
(c) Earning Julia's affections.
(d) Ensuring Grandmamma's long life.
15. Who is the father of Julia's baby?
(d) Matthew Merry.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Julia is declared missing after the attack, who sends out a search party to find her?
2. When Julia has a dream on the night after she is confronted by Ralph, what does she shout?
3. What is missing from Celia's murder site?
4. What crop does Julia sow in preparation for the harvest season?
5. What crop does Richard begin selling to the commercial markets after his parents' funeral?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)