|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of the slave children that were taken from the Acre died?
2. As Julia leaves for Wideacre, what is her biggest fear about her relationship with James?
(a) That she will no longer love James upon returning home.
(b) That the two will never be together.
(c) That James will meet another woman.
(d) That Richard will not approve of their relationship.
3. What happens to Matthew Merry after he is sent to prison?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He is killed by another inmate.
(c) He dies of a broken heart.
(d) He is sent to the mental ward of the prison.
4. When Richard visits Julia in the fields where she is sowing, how does Julia greet him?
(a) With a hand shake.
(b) With a kiss.
(c) With warm words.
(d) With a hug.
5. When Julia receives her first letter from James, what does it tell her?
(a) That he is building the two of them a house.
(b) That he has met another woman.
(c) That he is moving away for school.
(d) That he is coming for a visit.
6. After the attack, what does Julia tell her family happened to her while she was out riding?
(a) That she was physically attacked.
(b) That she was bucked off the horse.
(c) That she fell into a well.
(d) That she lost her way in the woods.
7. What crop does Richard begin selling to the commercial markets after his parents' funeral?
8. How does Julia feel after Richard states that he has a broken heart?
(a) She is saddened.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is triumphant.
(d) She is apathetic.
9. When Julia returns to Wideacre, what has Uncle John done to the dowry house?
(a) Burned it to the ground.
(b) Locked the doors with large chains.
(c) Completely redecorated it.
(d) Transformed it into a livestock shed.
10. What does Ralph predict will someday happen to the land of Wideacre?
(a) That the land will be destroyed by fire.
(b) That the land will flourish under Julia's green thumb.
(c) That the villagers will overtake the land from her.
(d) That Julia will give it to the villagers.
11. How does Uncle John refer to Julia's visions?
(a) As "delusions."
(b) As "abnormalities."
(c) As "secrets."
(d) As "gifts."
12. After visiting the shopkeeper, what does James ask of Julia?
(a) To never speak to him again.
(b) To loan him money for school.
(c) To marry him.
(d) To travel to Spain with him.
13. Now that Julia is no longer a virgin, what does Richard say that she has no hope for?
(a) Inheriting Wideacre.
(b) Starting a family.
(c) Getting a job.
(d) Finding a husband.
14. Who is the father of Julia's baby?
(d) Matthew Merry.
15. Why does Julia state that she has called off her engagement to James?
(a) Because he is constantly drunk.
(b) Because he has been unfaithful to her.
(c) Because he has lost all his money gambling.
(d) Because she was never in love with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is NOT killed by Richard?
2. Who in Julia's family is the first to hear of Julia's pregnancy?
3. Where is Clary's body found?
4. Which activity to Richard and Julia partake in on Sunday afternoons?
5. On her way to visit the slave children in the hovel, what is Julia robbed of?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)