|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Uncle John and Celia's bodies found?
(a) On the road.
(b) At the doctor's office.
(c) Separated, one on the road and one at the office.
(d) The bodies are never found.
2. How does Ralph respond to the way that Richard handles the bird?
(a) He punches Richard in the stomach.
(b) He kills the bird to put it out of its suffering.
(c) He laughs off the injury saying that the bird will be fine.
(d) He quietly takes the bird to the hospital.
3. How does Richard respond to Julia's engagement to James?
(a) He is anxious.
(b) He is furious.
(c) He is saddened.
(d) He is excited.
4. When Julia receives her first letter from James, what does it tell her?
(a) That he is moving away for school.
(b) That he is building the two of them a house.
(c) That he has met another woman.
(d) That he is coming for a visit.
5. After the attack, what does Julia tell her family happened to her while she was out riding?
(a) That she lost her way in the woods.
(b) That she was bucked off the horse.
(c) That she fell into a well.
(d) That she was physically attacked.
6. How many of the slave children that were taken from the Acre died?
7. When Richard visits Julia in the fields where she is sowing, how does Julia greet him?
(a) With a hand shake.
(b) With a kiss.
(c) With a hug.
(d) With warm words.
8. Which of the following characters is NOT killed by Richard?
(d) Uncle John.
9. What are Celia's final words to Julia before leaving with Uncle John for town?
(a) "I love you, my daughter."
(b) "God be with your soul."
(c) "You will pay for what you have done."
(d) There are no words spoken between them.
10. How does the bird respond to being held by Richard?
(a) It sits calmly, waiting to be fed.
(b) It nuzzles up to Richard's neck affectionately.
(c) It immediately tries to fly away from him.
(d) It begins to bite at his hands.
11. What does James make the children promise not to use their money to purchase?
12. What crop does Julia sow in preparation for the harvest season?
13. On the day of the reaping, what does a village child beg off of Julia's riding garments?
(a) A lace hem.
(b) A ribbon.
(c) A patch.
(d) A button.
14. What type of doll is presented to Julia after the race on reaping day?
(a) A wooden doll.
(b) A deer hide doll.
(c) A flour sac doll.
(d) A corn husk doll.
15. Which errand does Julia call for Jimmy Dart to run for her?
(a) Purchasing fabric for baby clothes.
(b) Hiding a weapon in the woods.
(c) Delivering a letter.
(d) Picking up medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. As she leaves for Wideacre, how does Julia feel about her relationship with James?
2. Where were the slave children sent to work after being taken from the Acre?
3. Why does Celia believe that everyone thinks Julia resembles Beatrice?
4. Which activity to Richard and Julia partake in on Sunday afternoons?
5. What color were the pearls that Richard presented Julia with at dinner?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)