|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Richard respond to Julia's engagement to James?
(a) He is anxious.
(b) He is furious.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is saddened.
2. What is the name of the linkboy that Julia and James meet leaving the party?
(a) Jimmy Dart.
(b) Billy Brown.
(c) Michael Leroy.
(d) Thomas Dench.
3. Which symptom of pregnancy plagues Julia through the first months of her pregnancy?
(a) Fainting spells.
(c) Morning sickness.
4. As Julia leaves for Wideacre, what is her biggest fear about her relationship with James?
(a) That Richard will not approve of their relationship.
(b) That she will no longer love James upon returning home.
(c) That James will meet another woman.
(d) That the two will never be together.
5. What part of the bird's body is broken when Richard is handling it?
(a) Its wings.
(b) Its tailfeathers.
(c) Its beak.
(d) Its legs.
6. After visiting the shopkeeper, what does James ask of Julia?
(a) To loan him money for school.
(b) To never speak to him again.
(c) To travel to Spain with him.
(d) To marry him.
7. What type of bird does Ralph keep as a pet?
(a) A hawk.
(b) A crow.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A raven.
8. How does Ralph respond when Julia says that she will not announce the name of Clary's killer?
(a) He calls her brave for protecting the truth.
(b) He calls her a coward.
(c) He believes that Julia is the killer.
(d) He threatens to turn her in to the police.
9. Why does Julia say that she and Richard should no longer live together?
(a) Because the villagers will shun them.
(b) Because it was traditional for expectant mothers to live away from their husbands at this time.
(c) Because they are grieving the loss of their parents.
(d) Because they know the truth about their relationship.
10. After the attack, what part of Julia's body is broken?
(a) Her collar bone.
(b) Her rib.
(c) Her wrist.
(d) Her ankle.
11. When Julia receives her first letter from James, what does it tell her?
(a) That he is coming for a visit.
(b) That he has met another woman.
(c) That he is moving away for school.
(d) That he is building the two of them a house.
12. When Richard visits Julia in the fields where she is sowing, how does Julia greet him?
(a) With warm words.
(b) With a hand shake.
(c) With a kiss.
(d) With a hug.
13. As she leaves for Wideacre, how does Julia feel about her relationship with James?
(a) That the two are a perfect match.
(b) That the two were a terrible match.
(c) That the two didn't completely understand each other.
(d) That the two were lost in fairy tale hopes.
14. After Julia is declared missing after the attack, who sends out a search party to find her?
15. What is the name of the town where Julia arranges to meet Richard to tell him her news?
Short Answer Questions
1. How quickly is Julia revisited by Beatrice upon returning to Wideacre?
2. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic that Julia sees in Richard's soul?
3. During the time that he has been away from Julia, where has James been?
4. What type of doll is presented to Julia after the race on reaping day?
5. How does Julia explain away her swelling stomach?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)