|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Richard respond when he hears that Julia is pregnant?
(a) He is proud.
(b) He is anxious.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is angry.
2. What does Rosie Dench embroider?
3. When Julia has a dream on the night after she is confronted by Ralph, what does she shout?
(a) "I have sinned against my family!"
(b) She cannot hear what she says.
(c) "Bring me love or bring me death!"
(d) "Richard is my husband!"
4. After his parents' death, what is Richard's greatest concern?
(a) Earning Julia's affections.
(b) Keeping the villagers peaceful.
(c) Ensuring Grandmamma's long life.
(d) The safety of his unborn baby.
5. Who does Ralph suggest could relieve Julia of her pregnancy?
(a) Dr. Pearce.
(b) A gypsy woman.
(c) Dr. Phillips.
(d) Celia Lacey.
6. Who tells Julia that she should always meet the neighbors with her head held high?
(c) Jimmy Dart.
7. How does Richard respond to Julia's engagement to James?
(a) He is furious.
(b) He is anxious.
(c) He is saddened.
(d) He is excited.
8. Why does Julia state that she has called off her engagement to James?
(a) Because he has lost all his money gambling.
(b) Because he is constantly drunk.
(c) Because he has been unfaithful to her.
(d) Because she was never in love with him.
9. What does a linkboy carry?
(a) A gun.
(b) A chain.
(c) A basket.
(d) A torch.
10. Where are Uncle John and Celia's bodies found?
(a) Separated, one on the road and one at the office.
(b) At the doctor's office.
(c) The bodies are never found.
(d) On the road.
11. As she leaves for Wideacre, how does Julia feel about her relationship with James?
(a) That the two were lost in fairy tale hopes.
(b) That the two didn't completely understand each other.
(c) That the two are a perfect match.
(d) That the two were a terrible match.
12. On the day of the reaping, what does a village child beg off of Julia's riding garments?
(a) A patch.
(b) A lace hem.
(c) A ribbon.
(d) A button.
13. What does Richard admit to intercepting between James and Julia?
(a) Their whispered conversations.
(b) Their letters.
(c) Their telephone calls.
(d) Their money transfers.
14. Who encourages Julia to end her relationship with Dr. Phillips?
15. When Julia goes on vacation after finding out that she is pregnant, where does she go?
(a) To Bath.
(b) To London.
(c) To Oxford.
(d) To Essex.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the bird respond to being held by Richard?
2. Which of the following characters is NOT killed by Richard?
3. What type of doll is presented to Julia after the race on reaping day?
4. When Julia receives her first letter from James, what does it tell her?
5. What does James make the children promise not to use their money to purchase?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)