|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Julia explain away her swelling stomach?
(a) She says that she is "unable to process water."
(b) She says that she is "welled up with magic."
(c) She says that she is "full of undigested bread."
(d) She says that she is "with child."
2. What is the holiday that Julia is made queen of by the villagers?
3. On her way to visit the slave children in the hovel, what is Julia robbed of?
(a) Her shoes.
(b) Her money.
(c) Her parasol.
(d) Her hat.
4. Which of the following is NOT suggested by Uncle John as a way of rectifying the problem between Julia and Richard?
(a) Separating Richard from Julia.
(b) Getting rid of the pregnancy.
(c) Anulling the marriage.
(d) Selling Wideacre.
5. What are Celia's final words to Julia before leaving with Uncle John for town?
(a) "God be with your soul."
(b) "You will pay for what you have done."
(c) "I love you, my daughter."
(d) There are no words spoken between them.
6. Who is accused of stealing wheat from the Wideacre fields?
(a) Rosie Dench.
(b) Dench, the groom.
(d) Jimmy Dart.
7. After the attack, what does Julia tell her family happened to her while she was out riding?
(a) That she was physically attacked.
(b) That she fell into a well.
(c) That she was bucked off the horse.
(d) That she lost her way in the woods.
8. As Julia leaves for Wideacre, what is her biggest fear about her relationship with James?
(a) That the two will never be together.
(b) That Richard will not approve of their relationship.
(c) That James will meet another woman.
(d) That she will no longer love James upon returning home.
9. On the day of the reaping, what does a village child beg off of Julia's riding garments?
(a) A button.
(b) A ribbon.
(c) A patch.
(d) A lace hem.
10. Where are Uncle John and Celia's bodies found?
(a) The bodies are never found.
(b) Separated, one on the road and one at the office.
(c) At the doctor's office.
(d) On the road.
11. How does Richard treat the profit-sharing agreement Uncle John implemented?
(a) He sticks frugally to the agreement, down to every letter.
(b) He gives the villagers less profit than the agreement demanded.
(c) He ignores the agreement completely.
(d) He gives the villagers more profit that the agreement demanded.
12. How does Richard respond when he hears that Julia is pregnant?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is proud.
(d) He is anxious.
13. What does Rosie Dench embroider?
14. Why is Richard granted a brief leave from school?
(a) To go to a funeral.
(b) To go to the hospital.
(c) To get married.
(d) To visit a friend.
15. After visiting the shopkeeper, what does James ask of Julia?
(a) To loan him money for school.
(b) To never speak to him again.
(c) To marry him.
(d) To travel to Spain with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard admit to intercepting between James and Julia?
2. Why does Celia leave the party early, allowing James to escort Julia home?
3. How does Julia get Rosie Dench's debt erased?
4. When Julia receives her first letter from James, what does it tell her?
5. How does Richard respond to Julia's engagement to James?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)