|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jimmy Dart arrested?
(a) For killing Celia Lacey.
(b) For setting fire to Wideacre.
(c) For being a vagrant.
(d) For stealing from the fields.
2. How does Richard treat the profit-sharing agreement Uncle John implemented?
(a) He sticks frugally to the agreement, down to every letter.
(b) He gives the villagers more profit that the agreement demanded.
(c) He ignores the agreement completely.
(d) He gives the villagers less profit than the agreement demanded.
3. After Julia refuses to call off her engagement to James, what does Richard say?
(a) That he hopes the two are happy together.
(b) That he hopes James dies.
(c) That he will step down as the favored child at Wideacre.
(d) That he will see to it that Julia be disinherited.
4. Now that Julia is no longer a virgin, what does Richard say that she has no hope for?
(a) Inheriting Wideacre.
(b) Starting a family.
(c) Getting a job.
(d) Finding a husband.
5. Who does Ralph suggest could relieve Julia of her pregnancy?
(a) Celia Lacey.
(b) Dr. Pearce.
(c) Dr. Phillips.
(d) A gypsy woman.
6. After his parents' death, what is Richard's greatest concern?
(a) Earning Julia's affections.
(b) The safety of his unborn baby.
(c) Keeping the villagers peaceful.
(d) Ensuring Grandmamma's long life.
7. What instrument is used in a race on the last day of reaping?
(a) A cart.
(b) An ax.
(c) A shovel.
(d) A sickle.
8. When Julia goes on vacation after finding out that she is pregnant, where does she go?
(a) To Oxford.
(b) To Bath.
(c) To Essex.
(d) To London.
9. What crop does Richard begin selling to the commercial markets after his parents' funeral?
10. How does Julia get Rosie Dench's debt erased?
(a) By paying it off.
(b) By negotiating with the shopkeeper.
(c) By threatening the shopkeeper's life.
(d) By making a scene in the shop.
11. How does Julia explain away her swelling stomach?
(a) She says that she is "full of undigested bread."
(b) She says that she is "unable to process water."
(c) She says that she is "welled up with magic."
(d) She says that she is "with child."
12. Which activity to Richard and Julia partake in on Sunday afternoons?
(c) Horseback riding.
13. When Julia returns to Wideacre, what has Uncle John done to the dowry house?
(a) Locked the doors with large chains.
(b) Burned it to the ground.
(c) Transformed it into a livestock shed.
(d) Completely redecorated it.
14. Where are Uncle John and Celia's bodies found?
(a) At the doctor's office.
(b) On the road.
(c) Separated, one on the road and one at the office.
(d) The bodies are never found.
15. On the day of the reaping, what does a village child beg off of Julia's riding garments?
(a) A patch.
(b) A button.
(c) A lace hem.
(d) A ribbon.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Julia receives her first letter from James, what does it tell her?
2. Where were the slave children sent to work after being taken from the Acre?
3. How does the bird respond to being held by Richard?
4. Who in Julia's family is the first to hear of Julia's pregnancy?
5. Which bodies cannot be buried in the church cemetery?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)