|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Richard treat the profit-sharing agreement Uncle John implemented?
(a) He ignores the agreement completely.
(b) He gives the villagers less profit than the agreement demanded.
(c) He gives the villagers more profit that the agreement demanded.
(d) He sticks frugally to the agreement, down to every letter.
2. What has Matthew Merry sold, infuriating Clary?
(a) His music.
(b) His poetry.
(c) His home.
(d) His sculptures.
3. What color were the pearls that Richard presented Julia with at dinner?
4. When Julia receives her first letter from James, what does it tell her?
(a) That he is coming for a visit.
(b) That he is building the two of them a house.
(c) That he is moving away for school.
(d) That he has met another woman.
5. Now that Julia is no longer a virgin, what does Richard say that she has no hope for?
(a) Inheriting Wideacre.
(b) Starting a family.
(c) Getting a job.
(d) Finding a husband.
6. How does Julia feel after Richard states that he has a broken heart?
(a) She is apathetic.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is saddened.
(d) She is triumphant.
7. Why does Julia say that she and Richard should no longer live together?
(a) Because the villagers will shun them.
(b) Because it was traditional for expectant mothers to live away from their husbands at this time.
(c) Because they are grieving the loss of their parents.
(d) Because they know the truth about their relationship.
8. Which activity to Richard and Julia partake in on Sunday afternoons?
(a) Horseback riding.
9. What does a linkboy carry?
(a) A gun.
(b) A torch.
(c) A basket.
(d) A chain.
10. As she leaves for Wideacre, how does Julia feel about her relationship with James?
(a) That the two were lost in fairy tale hopes.
(b) That the two were a terrible match.
(c) That the two are a perfect match.
(d) That the two didn't completely understand each other.
11. What type of doll is presented to Julia after the race on reaping day?
(a) A deer hide doll.
(b) A corn husk doll.
(c) A flour sac doll.
(d) A wooden doll.
12. What does Ralph warn Julia against if she finds herself "with child"?
(a) Giving birth to the child.
(b) Telling the truth to her family.
(c) Lying to the villagers.
(d) Rushing into a marriage.
13. When Julia returns to Wideacre, what has Uncle John done to the dowry house?
(a) Transformed it into a livestock shed.
(b) Burned it to the ground.
(c) Completely redecorated it.
(d) Locked the doors with large chains.
14. What does Ralph predict will someday happen to the land of Wideacre?
(a) That the villagers will overtake the land from her.
(b) That the land will flourish under Julia's green thumb.
(c) That Julia will give it to the villagers.
(d) That the land will be destroyed by fire.
15. What is revealed to be the true relationship between Julia and Richard?
(a) They are siblings.
(b) They are enemies.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. On her way to visit the slave children in the hovel, what is Julia robbed of?
2. What is the holiday that Julia is made queen of by the villagers?
3. What does James make the children promise not to use their money to purchase?
4. After visiting the shopkeeper, what does James ask of Julia?
5. What part of the bird's body is broken when Richard is handling it?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)