|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julie do for a living?
(a) She is a cleaner.
(b) She is a teacher.
(c) She is a prostitute.
(d) She is a seamstress.
2. Why does Julia say that she and Richard should no longer live together?
(a) Because the villagers will shun them.
(b) Because it was traditional for expectant mothers to live away from their husbands at this time.
(c) Because they are grieving the loss of their parents.
(d) Because they know the truth about their relationship.
3. After his parents' death, what is Richard's greatest concern?
(a) The safety of his unborn baby.
(b) Keeping the villagers peaceful.
(c) Ensuring Grandmamma's long life.
(d) Earning Julia's affections.
4. Why does Julia state that she has called off her engagement to James?
(a) Because she was never in love with him.
(b) Because he has lost all his money gambling.
(c) Because he is constantly drunk.
(d) Because he has been unfaithful to her.
5. After the attack, what does Julia tell her family happened to her while she was out riding?
(a) That she was bucked off the horse.
(b) That she lost her way in the woods.
(c) That she fell into a well.
(d) That she was physically attacked.
6. What does Ralph predict will someday happen to the land of Wideacre?
(a) That the land will flourish under Julia's green thumb.
(b) That the land will be destroyed by fire.
(c) That the villagers will overtake the land from her.
(d) That Julia will give it to the villagers.
7. Which symptom of pregnancy plagues Julia through the first months of her pregnancy?
(c) Fainting spells.
(d) Morning sickness.
8. When Julia looks over at Richard during the funeral, what is he doing?
9. What has Matthew Merry sold, infuriating Clary?
(a) His poetry.
(b) His home.
(c) His music.
(d) His sculptures.
10. How does Richard respond when he hears that Julia is pregnant?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is proud.
(d) He is anxious.
11. Who does Ralph suggest could relieve Julia of her pregnancy?
(a) Celia Lacey.
(b) Dr. Pearce.
(c) Dr. Phillips.
(d) A gypsy woman.
12. When Richard visits Julia in the fields where she is sowing, how does Julia greet him?
(a) With a kiss.
(b) With a hand shake.
(c) With warm words.
(d) With a hug.
13. What happens to Matthew Merry after he is sent to prison?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He dies of a broken heart.
(c) He is sent to the mental ward of the prison.
(d) He is killed by another inmate.
14. After Julia is declared missing after the attack, who sends out a search party to find her?
15. On her way to visit the slave children in the hovel, what is Julia robbed of?
(a) Her shoes.
(b) Her money.
(c) Her hat.
(d) Her parasol.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle John respond to the news that Julia will be coming home from Dr. Phillips?
2. Who in Julia's family is the first to hear of Julia's pregnancy?
3. Why is Richard granted a brief leave from school?
4. What type of doll is presented to Julia after the race on reaping day?
5. On the day of the reaping, what does a village child beg off of Julia's riding garments?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)