|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to Julia's aid when arguing why she should return to Wideacre?
2. What crop does Julia sow in preparation for the harvest season?
3. Why does Julia state that she has called off her engagement to James?
(a) Because he has lost all his money gambling.
(b) Because she was never in love with him.
(c) Because he is constantly drunk.
(d) Because he has been unfaithful to her.
4. Who encourages Julia to end her relationship with Dr. Phillips?
5. How does Uncle John refer to Julia's visions?
(a) As "delusions."
(b) As "abnormalities."
(c) As "gifts."
(d) As "secrets."
6. How does Richard respond to Julia's engagement to James?
(a) He is saddened.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He is furious.
(d) He is anxious.
7. What is revealed to be the true relationship between Julia and Richard?
(a) They are slaves.
(b) They are enemies.
(c) They are siblings.
(d) They are cousins.
8. Why is Richard granted a brief leave from school?
(a) To visit a friend.
(b) To get married.
(c) To go to the hospital.
(d) To go to a funeral.
9. How does Julia get Rosie Dench's debt erased?
(a) By threatening the shopkeeper's life.
(b) By negotiating with the shopkeeper.
(c) By making a scene in the shop.
(d) By paying it off.
10. What is missing from Celia's murder site?
(a) Her jewelry.
(b) Her stockings.
(c) Her gloves.
(d) Her letters.
11. During the time that he has been away from Julia, where has James been?
(a) At Princeton.
(b) At Stanford.
(c) At Yale.
(d) At Oxford.
12. As Julia leaves for Wideacre, what is her biggest fear about her relationship with James?
(a) That the two will never be together.
(b) That James will meet another woman.
(c) That Richard will not approve of their relationship.
(d) That she will no longer love James upon returning home.
13. When Julia returns to Wideacre, what has Uncle John done to the dowry house?
(a) Burned it to the ground.
(b) Completely redecorated it.
(c) Locked the doors with large chains.
(d) Transformed it into a livestock shed.
14. Where were the slave children sent to work after being taken from the Acre?
(a) At a livery.
(b) At a mill.
(c) At a farm.
(d) At a factory.
15. When Julia has a dream on the night after she is confronted by Ralph, what does she shout?
(a) "I have sinned against my family!"
(b) She cannot hear what she says.
(c) "Richard is my husband!"
(d) "Bring me love or bring me death!"
Short Answer Questions
1. When Julia returns home after the attack, who helps her off her horse, squeezing her around the waist?
2. Which bodies cannot be buried in the church cemetery?
3. Why does Julia say that she and Richard should no longer live together?
4. How does Ralph respond when Julia says that she will not announce the name of Clary's killer?
5. How is it rumored that Wideacre grows such a prosperous harvest?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)