|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Julia find out that she is pregnant?
(a) Her mother can tell by the glow in her face.
(b) The doctor feels the baby kick in her stomach.
(c) She is constantly sick and guesses it about herself.
(d) She takes a pregnancy test.
2. What is revealed to be the true relationship between Julia and Richard?
(a) They are enemies.
(b) They are siblings.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are slaves.
3. Where were the slave children sent to work after being taken from the Acre?
(a) At a factory.
(b) At a livery.
(c) At a farm.
(d) At a mill.
4. When Julia returns to Wideacre, what has Uncle John done to the dowry house?
(a) Transformed it into a livestock shed.
(b) Locked the doors with large chains.
(c) Completely redecorated it.
(d) Burned it to the ground.
5. What does a linkboy carry?
(a) A basket.
(b) A torch.
(c) A chain.
(d) A gun.
6. Now that Julia is no longer a virgin, what does Richard say that she has no hope for?
(a) Finding a husband.
(b) Getting a job.
(c) Starting a family.
(d) Inheriting Wideacre.
7. After the attack, what does Julia tell her family happened to her while she was out riding?
(a) That she was physically attacked.
(b) That she lost her way in the woods.
(c) That she was bucked off the horse.
(d) That she fell into a well.
8. When Richard visits Julia in the fields where she is sowing, how does Julia greet him?
(a) With a hug.
(b) With a kiss.
(c) With warm words.
(d) With a hand shake.
9. As Julia leaves for Wideacre, what is her biggest fear about her relationship with James?
(a) That James will meet another woman.
(b) That she will no longer love James upon returning home.
(c) That Richard will not approve of their relationship.
(d) That the two will never be together.
10. During the time that he has been away from Julia, where has James been?
(a) At Yale.
(b) At Stanford.
(c) At Princeton.
(d) At Oxford.
11. Why does Julia say that she and Richard should no longer live together?
(a) Because the villagers will shun them.
(b) Because they are grieving the loss of their parents.
(c) Because they know the truth about their relationship.
(d) Because it was traditional for expectant mothers to live away from their husbands at this time.
12. How is it rumored that Wideacre grows such a prosperous harvest?
(a) By underground watering systems.
(b) By secret fertilizer.
(c) By Lacey magic.
(d) By slave labor.
13. What is the name of the linkboy that Julia and James meet leaving the party?
(a) Billy Brown.
(b) Thomas Dench.
(c) Jimmy Dart.
(d) Michael Leroy.
14. When Julia looks over at Richard during the funeral, what is he doing?
15. How does Julia feel after Richard states that he has a broken heart?
(a) She is triumphant.
(b) She is apathetic.
(c) She is saddened.
(d) She is confused.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julie do for a living?
2. When Julia returns home after the attack, who helps her off her horse, squeezing her around the waist?
3. How many of the slave children that were taken from the Acre died?
4. Who tells Julia that she should always meet the neighbors with her head held high?
5. Why does Celia leave the party early, allowing James to escort Julia home?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)