|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rosie Dench embroider?
2. After visiting the shopkeeper, what does James ask of Julia?
(a) To marry him.
(b) To never speak to him again.
(c) To loan him money for school.
(d) To travel to Spain with him.
3. Who is the father of Julia's baby?
(c) Matthew Merry.
4. Who encourages Julia to end her relationship with Dr. Phillips?
5. What is the name of the town where Julia arranges to meet Richard to tell him her news?
6. What crop does Julia sow in preparation for the harvest season?
7. How does Julia find out that she is pregnant?
(a) She takes a pregnancy test.
(b) The doctor feels the baby kick in her stomach.
(c) Her mother can tell by the glow in her face.
(d) She is constantly sick and guesses it about herself.
8. After Julia refuses to call off her engagement to James, what does Richard say?
(a) That he will step down as the favored child at Wideacre.
(b) That he will see to it that Julia be disinherited.
(c) That he hopes the two are happy together.
(d) That he hopes James dies.
9. How does Uncle John respond to the news that Julia will be coming home from Dr. Phillips?
(a) He is elated.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is anxious.
(d) He is disappointed.
10. On her way to visit the slave children in the hovel, what is Julia robbed of?
(a) Her hat.
(b) Her shoes.
(c) Her money.
(d) Her parasol.
11. Who in Julia's family is the first to hear of Julia's pregnancy?
(a) Uncle John.
12. Who tells Julia that she should always meet the neighbors with her head held high?
(b) Jimmy Dart.
13. After the attack, what does Julia tell her family happened to her while she was out riding?
(a) That she was bucked off the horse.
(b) That she lost her way in the woods.
(c) That she fell into a well.
(d) That she was physically attacked.
14. Which errand does Julia call for Jimmy Dart to run for her?
(a) Purchasing fabric for baby clothes.
(b) Delivering a letter.
(c) Hiding a weapon in the woods.
(d) Picking up medicine.
15. How does Richard treat the profit-sharing agreement Uncle John implemented?
(a) He gives the villagers more profit that the agreement demanded.
(b) He ignores the agreement completely.
(c) He sticks frugally to the agreement, down to every letter.
(d) He gives the villagers less profit than the agreement demanded.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richard respond when he hears that Julia is pregnant?
2. Why does Julia state that she has called off her engagement to James?
3. Which of the following is NOT suggested by Uncle John as a way of rectifying the problem between Julia and Richard?
4. What type of doll is presented to Julia after the race on reaping day?
5. Who comes to Julia's aid when arguing why she should return to Wideacre?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)