|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Julia state that she has called off her engagement to James?
(a) Because he is constantly drunk.
(b) Because he has lost all his money gambling.
(c) Because he has been unfaithful to her.
(d) Because she was never in love with him.
2. What does Ralph warn Julia against if she finds herself "with child"?
(a) Giving birth to the child.
(b) Telling the truth to her family.
(c) Rushing into a marriage.
(d) Lying to the villagers.
3. As Julia leaves for Wideacre, what is her biggest fear about her relationship with James?
(a) That the two will never be together.
(b) That she will no longer love James upon returning home.
(c) That James will meet another woman.
(d) That Richard will not approve of their relationship.
4. Who in Julia's family is the first to hear of Julia's pregnancy?
(b) Uncle John.
5. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic that Julia sees in Richard's soul?
6. Who tells Julia that she should always meet the neighbors with her head held high?
(b) Jimmy Dart.
7. How does Richard respond when he hears that Julia is pregnant?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is proud.
(c) He is anxious.
(d) He is angry.
8. What are Celia's final words to Julia before leaving with Uncle John for town?
(a) "I love you, my daughter."
(b) "God be with your soul."
(c) "You will pay for what you have done."
(d) There are no words spoken between them.
9. When Julia is riding her horse during a dream state, who does she realize is on top of her, kissing her?
(c) Matthew Merry.
10. Who comes to Julia's aid when arguing why she should return to Wideacre?
11. Why does Celia believe that everyone thinks Julia resembles Beatrice?
(a) Because they wear their hair the same way.
(b) Because their voices sound similar.
(c) Because they wear similar clothing.
(d) Because their walking stride is the same.
12. How does Richard treat the profit-sharing agreement Uncle John implemented?
(a) He ignores the agreement completely.
(b) He gives the villagers more profit that the agreement demanded.
(c) He gives the villagers less profit than the agreement demanded.
(d) He sticks frugally to the agreement, down to every letter.
13. Which bodies cannot be buried in the church cemetery?
(a) Bodies of suicide.
(b) Bodies that die of disease.
(c) Bodies that are cremeated.
(d) Bodies that were murdered.
14. What happens to Matthew Merry after he is sent to prison?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He dies of a broken heart.
(c) He is sent to the mental ward of the prison.
(d) He is killed by another inmate.
15. When Julia goes on vacation after finding out that she is pregnant, where does she go?
(a) To Essex.
(b) To London.
(c) To Bath.
(d) To Oxford.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle John refer to Julia's visions?
2. Who is the father of Julia's baby?
3. As she leaves for Wideacre, how does Julia feel about her relationship with James?
4. Who encourages Julia to end her relationship with Dr. Phillips?
5. How is it rumored that Wideacre grows such a prosperous harvest?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)