|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her reoccurring dream about the church, what does Julia dream hits the building?
(a) A tornado.
(b) A wagon.
(d) A bomb.
2. Which character in the novel is put in charge of starting a school for the village children?
3. What is Marianne's social status?
(a) Equal to Julia's.
(b) Higher than Julia's.
(c) Lower than Julia's.
(d) There is no mention of Marianne's social ranking.
4. How does Julia explain her gardening techniques?
(a) She says that she has spent many hours practicing her techniques.
(b) She says that she learned the techniques from the previous gardener.
(c) She says that she read about the techniques in textbooks.
(d) She says that the techniques come to her naturally.
5. After Julia continues to dream about her Aunt Beatrice, what conclusion does she reach?
(a) That she and Beatrice are as one.
(b) That Aunt Beatrice is really alive.
(c) That Aunt Beatrice is her mother.
(d) That Aunt Beatrice is haunting her.
6. When Julia overhears Uncle John speaking to the woman from town, how many babies does the woman say that she has buried?
7. What is Ralph Megson's job?
(a) He is the new gardner.
(b) He is the new stable manager.
(c) He is the overseer of the entire estate.
(d) He is the new tutor.
8. What musical instrument does Julia play so that she can accompany Richard's singing?
(a) The guitar.
(b) The piano.
(c) The flute.
(d) The cello.
9. Who does Julia refer to as a "great lout"?
(a) Ralph's sister.
(b) Ralph's girlfriend.
(c) Ralph's cleaning woman.
(d) Ralph's mother.
10. As Julia explains it to Ralph, why doesn't she have a horse?
(a) Because she has an allergy to horse fur.
(b) Because her Uncle John hasn't found a proper horse for her yet.
(c) Because her Uncle John cannot afford another horse.
(d) Because she is too terrified to learn to ride a horse.
11. Which of the following adjectives does Uncle John and Celia use to describe both Julia and Beatrice?
12. How does James respond to Julia's prophetic dreams?
(a) He teases her about them.
(b) He is terrified of them.
(c) He is amused by them.
(d) He takes them as fact.
13. What do Celia and Julia rent from Mrs. Gibson?
(a) A sewing machine.
(b) A horse and buggy.
(c) A motor car.
(d) An apartment.
14. As children, what did Julia and Robert promise to do?
(a) Marry each other one day.
(b) Stay best friends forever.
(c) Travel the world together.
(d) Move out of their hometown.
15. How does Richard respond to Julia's news that she is being sent away.
(a) He is enraged by her leaving.
(b) He is excited by her leaving.
(c) He is confused by her leaving.
(d) He is saddened by her leaving.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters does NOT encourage Julia to embrace her magical heritage?
2. What does Uncle John give to Julia for her birthday on the day that he returns from the mines?
3. Why is Dench fired?
4. What is the estate that Julia was raised on called?
5. How do the villagers respond to Julia's warning about the church's destruction?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)