|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Julia lost in the village, prompting her, Richard, and Ralph to go back searching for it?
(a) Her hat.
(b) Her glove.
(c) Her handkerchief
(d) Her parasol.
2. How does Julia feel about having to visit Dr. Phillips?
(a) Julia does not believe that a doctor is necessary.
(b) Julia is worried that the doctor will recommend surgery.
(c) Julia hopes that the doctor can cure her of her visions.
(d) Julia knows that the doctor is her last hope for sanity.
3. What is Uncle John's plan to cut hourly wages from the Wideacre employees?
(a) To pay the workers in profit share.
(b) To pay the workers in land.
(c) To pay the workers in kind words.
(d) Not to pay the workers at all.
4. What relation does Clary have to the accused Dench?
(a) They have no relation.
(b) She is his sister.
(c) She is his neice.
(d) She is his daughter.
5. What is Ralph Megson famous for doing in the village?
(a) Singing songs on the street corners.
(b) Bringing food to the people.
(c) Preaching the Sunday mass.
(d) Stealing money from the rich.
6. What is the name of Richard's stable boy?
7. How does Julia thank James for his words of kindness to her?
(a) With a kiss.
(b) She never thanks him.
(c) With a hug.
(d) With a handshake.
8. When Julia overhears Uncle John speaking to the woman from town, how many babies does the woman say that she has buried?
9. Who is Marianne Fortescue?
(a) A girl who teases Julia's clothing.
(b) A nurse that works in Dr. Phillips office.
(c) A cleaning woman that attends to Julia's room.
(d) A patient of Dr. Phillips.
10. Who does Julia refer to as a "great lout"?
(a) Ralph's mother.
(b) Ralph's cleaning woman.
(c) Ralph's girlfriend.
(d) Ralph's sister.
11. What musical instrument does Julia play so that she can accompany Richard's singing?
(a) The cello.
(b) The flute.
(c) The piano.
(d) The guitar.
12. In which country are there rebellions leading to beheadings, as mentioned in the novel?
13. What animal attacks Richard in the barn?
(a) A gaggle of geese.
(b) A flock of chickens.
(c) A flock of sheep.
(d) A herd of cows.
14. What impediment affects Matthew Merry?
(a) He is mute.
(b) He is deaf.
(c) He is blind.
(d) He stutters.
15. What is the weather like on the day that Julia is sent to plant the orchard?
(a) It is raining.
(b) It is sunny.
(c) It is windy.
(d) It is snowing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the villagers respond to Julia's warning about the church's destruction?
2. How does James respond to Julia's prophetic dreams?
3. After the dream comes true and Julia faints, where does she wake up?
4. What does Julia do with the extra trees from her orchard?
5. What do Celia and Julia rent from Mrs. Gibson?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)