|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Dench fired?
(a) For letting Julia ride the horse.
(b) For breaking Celia's glass vase.
(c) For being drunk on the job.
(d) For stealing linens from the Acre.
2. What terrible incident happens to the house that Julia was raised in as a child?
(a) It is swept up by a tornado.
(b) It is burned down.
(c) It is swept away by a monsoon.
(d) It is destroyed by a bomb.
3. In which of the following places has Julia NOT had an encounter with her Aunt Beatrice?
(a) While opening a gate.
(b) While lying in her bed.
(c) While standing in a field.
(d) While working at the watering hole.
4. How does Julia dream that the village will be destroyed?
(a) By a monsoon.
(b) By an earthquake.
(c) By a tornado.
(d) By a fire.
5. Who does Julia refer to as a "great lout"?
(a) Ralph's mother.
(b) Ralph's sister.
(c) Ralph's cleaning woman.
(d) Ralph's girlfriend.
6. What does Uncle John give to Julia for her birthday on the day that he returns from the mines?
(a) A new gown.
(b) A feather pen.
(c) A new horse.
7. When Julia is fighting with the village children, where is Richard?
(a) At the parsonage.
(b) Eating a piece of pie.
(c) Taking a riding lesson.
(d) Watching from the shadows.
8. What does James Fortescue think of Dr. Phillips?
(a) That he is a decent man.
(b) That he is a brilliant doctor.
(c) That he is a drunk.
(d) That he is a quack.
9. What animal attacks Richard in the barn?
(a) A gaggle of geese.
(b) A flock of sheep.
(c) A flock of chickens.
(d) A herd of cows.
10. What is Marianne's social status?
(a) Lower than Julia's.
(b) Higher than Julia's.
(c) There is no mention of Marianne's social ranking.
(d) Equal to Julia's.
11. What is the name of Richard's stable boy?
12. To what city does Uncle John and Celia wish to send Julia to see a doctor?
13. How old was Julia when her father died?
14. How does Ralph respond to Uncle John's plan when Richard presents it to him?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He is skeptical.
(c) He is saddened.
(d) He is outraged.
15. How does Julia thank James for his words of kindness to her?
(a) She never thanks him.
(b) With a handshake.
(c) With a kiss.
(d) With a hug.
Short Answer Questions
1. As children, what did Julia and Robert promise to do?
2. Which of the following is a subject taught at the school for village children?
3. How does James respond to Julia's prophetic dreams?
4. What rationalization does Julia give for the way that old people in the village greet her?
5. How does Julia feel about having to visit Dr. Phillips?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)