|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Richard respond to Julia's news that she is being sent away.
(a) He is confused by her leaving.
(b) He is saddened by her leaving.
(c) He is enraged by her leaving.
(d) He is excited by her leaving.
2. Who does James suggest that Julia should elope with?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her gardner.
(c) Her butler.
(d) Her stable boy.
3. As Julia explains it to Ralph, why doesn't she have a horse?
(a) Because she has an allergy to horse fur.
(b) Because her Uncle John hasn't found a proper horse for her yet.
(c) Because she is too terrified to learn to ride a horse.
(d) Because her Uncle John cannot afford another horse.
4. How does Julia explain her gardening techniques?
(a) She says that she read about the techniques in textbooks.
(b) She says that she learned the techniques from the previous gardener.
(c) She says that the techniques come to her naturally.
(d) She says that she has spent many hours practicing her techniques.
5. What is the estate that Julia was raised on called?
6. What does the doctor that Julia is being sent to specialize in?
(a) Speech disorders.
(b) Vision disorders.
(c) Nervous disorders.
(d) Eating disorders.
7. Why is Dench fired?
(a) For stealing linens from the Acre.
(b) For letting Julia ride the horse.
(c) For being drunk on the job.
(d) For breaking Celia's glass vase.
8. What is Julia's relationship to James?
(a) They are coworkers.
(b) They are betrothed.
(c) They are enemies.
(d) They are cousins.
9. What does Julia begin to dream about Ralph after their visit to the town?
(a) That she and Ralph are lovers.
(b) That she and Ralph are bank robbers.
(c) That she and Ralph are siblings.
(d) That she and Ralph are arch enemies.
10. How do the villagers respond to Julia's warning about the church's destruction?
(a) They believe her and act promptly against the destruction.
(b) They laugh in her face.
(c) They ignore her words completely.
(d) They argue about whether they should believe a child.
11. What impediment affects Matthew Merry?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He is mute.
(c) He is deaf.
(d) He stutters.
12. When Uncle John returns from the mines, what is he disappointed to see in Richard?
(a) A lack of studious behavior.
(b) A spoiled attitude.
(c) A slight stature.
(d) An unathletic physique.
13. What is the name of Richard's stable boy?
14. What happens when Richard demands that Ralph be fired?
(a) Julia comes to Ralph's defense.
(b) No one listens to Richard's whining.
(c) Ralph is fired.
(d) Ralph punches Richard in the stomach.
15. How does Julia thank James for his words of kindness to her?
(a) She never thanks him.
(b) With a handshake.
(c) With a kiss.
(d) With a hug.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Julia lost in the village, prompting her, Richard, and Ralph to go back searching for it?
2. After Julia continues to dream about her Aunt Beatrice, what conclusion does she reach?
3. After leaving the village and meeting Dench, what does Ralph admit to Julia?
4. When Julia is fighting with the village children, where is Richard?
5. How was Julia's Aunt Beatrice killed?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)