|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Julia is given permission to take riding lessons, what happens to the horse?
(a) It falls ill with a disease.
(b) It goes missing in the night.
(c) It's legs are slashed.
(d) Richard takes it to town and sells it.
2. How does Ralph respond to Uncle John's plan when Richard presents it to him?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He is saddened.
(c) He is outraged.
(d) He is skeptical.
3. What is Marianne's social status?
(a) Equal to Julia's.
(b) Higher than Julia's.
(c) There is no mention of Marianne's social ranking.
(d) Lower than Julia's.
4. In which of the following places has Julia NOT had an encounter with her Aunt Beatrice?
(a) While working at the watering hole.
(b) While standing in a field.
(c) While opening a gate.
(d) While lying in her bed.
5. When Uncle John returns from the mines, what is he disappointed to see in Richard?
(a) An unathletic physique.
(b) A slight stature.
(c) A spoiled attitude.
(d) A lack of studious behavior.
6. How does James respond to Julia's prophetic dreams?
(a) He is terrified of them.
(b) He takes them as fact.
(c) He is amused by them.
(d) He teases her about them.
7. How does Grandmamma Havering expect a wife to act to her husband?
(a) She should bow to her husband's requests.
(b) She should live in fear of her huband's wrath.
(c) She should treat her husband like a pig.
(d) She should demand to be treated as an equal.
8. What rationalization does Julia give for the way that old people in the village greet her?
(a) That they are greeting Beatrice.
(b) That they don't recognize her face.
(c) That they are confused as to who she is.
(d) That they are greeting her as Celia's daughter.
9. What happens when Richard demands that Ralph be fired?
(a) Ralph is fired.
(b) No one listens to Richard's whining.
(c) Ralph punches Richard in the stomach.
(d) Julia comes to Ralph's defense.
10. Who convinces Julia that if she believes in her dream she must warn the villagers?
(a) Uncle John.
11. What type of animal is Scheherazade?
(a) A horse.
(b) A cat.
(c) A bird.
(d) A dog.
12. What is the name of Richard's stable boy?
13. Which of the following characters does NOT encourage Julia to embrace her magical heritage?
14. How does Julia refer to her cousin Richard?
(a) As her "dearest friend."
(b) As her "small companion."
(c) As her "dunce relative."
(d) As her "archenemy."
15. Who does James suggest that Julia should elope with?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her butler.
(c) Her gardner.
(d) Her stable boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Julia's Aunt Beatrice killed?
2. Why does Uncle John think that it is necessary to change the way that the employees are paid?
3. How does Julia explain her gardening techniques?
4. How old was Julia when her father died?
5. After leaving the village and meeting Dench, what does Ralph admit to Julia?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)