|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Union general has President Lincoln's blessing to arrest all the men he wishes and freeing those who are willing to take an oath of allegiance?
2. What war makes Lincoln aware of the importance of constitutional issues?
3. Which pioneer political scientist drafts War Department General Order No. 100, specifying that hostages be treated as POWs?
4. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockade in 1864?
5. Who is the presidential nominee for the Democratic party in 1864?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the purpose and implementation of the Militia Act of 1862. How do a majority of Northern citizens react to the Act? What reasons are commonly given for draft evasion? How does the Union Army balance the retrieval of draft dodgers and deserters with the protection of commerce?
Essay Topic 2
How do Lincoln's experiences before the Civil War affect his policies during the Civil War? How are Lincoln's views on civil liberties and slavery shaped? What aspects of his policies change during his administration and what affects those changes in policy?
Essay Topic 3
What events give rise to Martial law during the Civil War? Why does General William S. Harney describe the military's legal powers as "higher law"? What are the positive and negative affects of Martial law during the Civil War?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)