|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the War Department and General E. R. S. Camby declare the Banshee?
2. In Chapter 8, which person in America has the final say on all verdicts during the Civil War, particularly death sentences?
3. According to Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study, how many civilian prisoners were detained during the Civil War?
4. Which state has the most military trials?
5. Which former President is almost arrested for being a Southern sympathizer during the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how freedom of speech and freedom of the press are affected during Lincoln's administration. What is the purpose of this particular suppression of civil liberties? If these two rights had not been suppressed during the war, how might the outcome of the war have been affected?
Essay Topic 2
What was the purpose of the Union's "scorched earth" policy? What legal precedents or laws are cited to excuse this practice? Describe the effect the scorched earth policy was intended to have on the South and the actual effect it had on the Confederacy.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different forms of civil protests used by Lincoln's opponents. How does Lincoln's administration react to these protests and what effect does that reaction have on the original purpose of the protests?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)