|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "Fishing Creek Confederacy" protest?
2. According to Lincoln, whom does the constitution give the power to declare war?
3. Which state has the most military trials?
4. How does the crew of the Banshee avoid arrest?
5. In Chapter 8, which person in America has the final say on all verdicts during the Civil War, particularly death sentences?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Wes Bogan?
2. What happens at Pohick Church in 1861?
3. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
4. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
5. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
6. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
7. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
8. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
9. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
10. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how fraud affects the Lincoln administration during the Civil War. What actions does Lincoln take to prevent fraud within the government? How does fraud affect the progress of the Union Army during the war?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the purpose of Lincoln's Corning letter. Why does Lincoln feel he must explain his actions to Corning and his associates? How do Northern Democrats react to the letter? What impact does Francis Lieber's recommendation in 1864 have on later interpretations of the letter?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rise and use of military commissions during the Civil War. What guidelines exist for Union Generals in reference to the arrest and trial of civilians? How do military commissions benefit the Union and what abuses are reported?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)