|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a congressman in 1848, why doesn't Lincoln want to wait for a constitutional amendment?
2. What does the "Fishing Creek Confederacy" protest?
3. Why does Lincoln feel the need to censure John Fremont?
4. Who is the presidential nominee for the Democratic party in 1864?
5. Which state has the most military trials?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
2. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
3. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
4. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
5. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
6. Who is Wes Bogan?
7. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
8. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
9. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
10. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the purpose and implementation of the Militia Act of 1862. How do a majority of Northern citizens react to the Act? What reasons are commonly given for draft evasion? How does the Union Army balance the retrieval of draft dodgers and deserters with the protection of commerce?
Essay Topic 2
How do Lincoln's experiences before the Civil War affect his policies during the Civil War? How are Lincoln's views on civil liberties and slavery shaped? What aspects of his policies change during his administration and what affects those changes in policy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the Confederacy uses guerilla tactics during the Civil War. How does the Union Army react to these tactics? What legal restrictions prevent the Union Army from combating some of the Confederate's guerilla tactics?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)