|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which General orders all blockade runners released in 1864?
2. As a congressman in 1848, why doesn't Lincoln want to wait for a constitutional amendment?
3. What does the "Fishing Creek Confederacy" protest?
4. How does Kenneth A. Bernard attempt to defend Lincoln's character?
5. Which iron side steamship rams the USS Niphon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
2. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
3. Who is Wes Bogan?
4. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
5. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
6. Describe the Dred Scott decision.
7. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
8. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockades multiple times during the Civil War?
9. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
10. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lincoln feel it necessary to suspend the writ of habeas corpus? What are the positive and negative affects of the writ's suspension? According to historians, how might the precedents set by the suspension of the writ affect the future of American warfare policy?
Essay Topic 2
Describe arguments for and against Lincoln's character and actions as President. Why do some early Civil War historians and Northern Democrats describe him as a dictator? How does Lincoln defend his character and actions against these accusations? In the light of history, how do most historians view the decisions he made during his administration?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the purpose and implementation of the Militia Act of 1862. How do a majority of Northern citizens react to the Act? What reasons are commonly given for draft evasion? How does the Union Army balance the retrieval of draft dodgers and deserters with the protection of commerce?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)