|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who authored "Elements of International Law and Laws of War"?
2. In Chapter 6, which Anti-Lincoln historian is accused of exaggerating partisan abuse and political exploitation?
3. Which Democratic supporter gives a speech during the 1864 campaigns claiming that emancipation will make postwar reunion difficult?
4. Which General orders all blockade runners released in 1864?
5. In Chapter 7, which great blockade running port is the last to fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Banshee declared an agent of the Confederacy?
2. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
3. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockades multiple times during the Civil War?
4. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
5. Who is Wes Bogan?
6. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
7. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
8. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
9. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
10. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the rise and use of military commissions during the Civil War. What guidelines exist for Union Generals in reference to the arrest and trial of civilians? How do military commissions benefit the Union and what abuses are reported?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Confederacy uses guerilla tactics during the Civil War. How does the Union Army react to these tactics? What legal restrictions prevent the Union Army from combating some of the Confederate's guerilla tactics?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different forms of civil protests used by Lincoln's opponents. How does Lincoln's administration react to these protests and what effect does that reaction have on the original purpose of the protests?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)