|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does James G. Randall write that criticizes Lincoln's habeas corpus policy?
2. What could the Wilmot Proviso possibly ban?
3. Who opposes refunding Jackson's fine and publishes a pamphlet about martial law threatening slavery?
4. According to "The American Cyclopaedia and Register of Important Events of the Year 1865," how many citizens are denied habeas corpus?
5. How does Kenneth A. Bernard attempt to defend Lincoln's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
2. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
3. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
4. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
5. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
6. Why is the Banshee declared an agent of the Confederacy?
7. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
8. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
9. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
10. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the warning Neely gives his readers about bias among historians. What cautions should a person take when studying history? How could political bias affect a person's view of history?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how freedom of speech and freedom of the press are affected during Lincoln's administration. What is the purpose of this particular suppression of civil liberties? If these two rights had not been suppressed during the war, how might the outcome of the war have been affected?
Essay Topic 3
What was the purpose of the Union's "scorched earth" policy? What legal precedents or laws are cited to excuse this practice? Describe the effect the scorched earth policy was intended to have on the South and the actual effect it had on the Confederacy.
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)