|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does President Lincoln pardon Wes Brogan?
2. According to Lincoln, what act did President Jefferson commit without having the constitutional power to do so?
3. How does the crew of the Banshee avoid arrest?
4. Which iron side steamship rams the USS Niphon?
5. In Chapter 8, which person in America has the final say on all verdicts during the Civil War, particularly death sentences?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
2. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockades multiple times during the Civil War?
3. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
4. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
5. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
6. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
7. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
8. What happens at Pohick Church in 1861?
9. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
10. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What events give rise to Martial law during the Civil War? Why does General William S. Harney describe the military's legal powers as "higher law"? What are the positive and negative affects of Martial law during the Civil War?
Essay Topic 2
What was the purpose of the Union's "scorched earth" policy? What legal precedents or laws are cited to excuse this practice? Describe the effect the scorched earth policy was intended to have on the South and the actual effect it had on the Confederacy.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the purpose and implementation of the Militia Act of 1862. How do a majority of Northern citizens react to the Act? What reasons are commonly given for draft evasion? How does the Union Army balance the retrieval of draft dodgers and deserters with the protection of commerce?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)