|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author have difficulty confirming civilian arrest records?
2. How does the crew of the Banshee avoid arrest?
3. Who runs against Lincoln in the 1864 election?
4. Who is Wes Bogan?
5. What is the Old Capitol prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
2. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
3. Who is Wes Bogan?
4. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
5. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
6. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
7. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
8. Why is the Union careful to not offend Great Britain?
9. Describe the Dred Scott decision.
10. Why is the Banshee declared an agent of the Confederacy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the rise and use of military commissions during the Civil War. What guidelines exist for Union Generals in reference to the arrest and trial of civilians? How do military commissions benefit the Union and what abuses are reported?
Essay Topic 2
What was the purpose of the Union's "scorched earth" policy? What legal precedents or laws are cited to excuse this practice? Describe the effect the scorched earth policy was intended to have on the South and the actual effect it had on the Confederacy.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lincoln feel it necessary to suspend the writ of habeas corpus? What are the positive and negative affects of the writ's suspension? According to historians, how might the precedents set by the suspension of the writ affect the future of American warfare policy?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)