|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joseph Holt?
2. Which famous politician addresses the mistreatment of unpopular minorities in the Lyceum Address?
3. According to Lincoln, whom does the constitution give the power to declare war?
4. In Chapter 8, why is an elderly man charged with violating his oath of allegiance to the Union?
5. Which famous church is raided and looted by Union troops in 1861?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
2. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
3. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
4. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
5. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
6. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
7. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
8. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
9. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
10. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Lincoln's experiences before the Civil War affect his policies during the Civil War? How are Lincoln's views on civil liberties and slavery shaped? What aspects of his policies change during his administration and what affects those changes in policy?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the warning Neely gives his readers about bias among historians. What cautions should a person take when studying history? How could political bias affect a person's view of history?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the Confederacy uses guerilla tactics during the Civil War. How does the Union Army react to these tactics? What legal restrictions prevent the Union Army from combating some of the Confederate's guerilla tactics?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)