|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what are the primary reasons for most arrests of Northern citizens?
2. Which iron side steamship rams the USS Niphon?
3. According to John Quincy Adams, what gives Congress the power to abolish slavery?
4. Which Democratic supporter gives a speech during the 1864 campaigns claiming that emancipation will make postwar reunion difficult?
5. How long are military courts allowed to try civilians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
2. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
3. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
4. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockades multiple times during the Civil War?
5. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
6. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
7. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
8. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
9. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
10. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the purpose and implementation of the Militia Act of 1862. How do a majority of Northern citizens react to the Act? What reasons are commonly given for draft evasion? How does the Union Army balance the retrieval of draft dodgers and deserters with the protection of commerce?
Essay Topic 2
How does Joseph Griffin's case set the stage for Ex parte Milligan? What impact does Mr. Griffin's case have on the practice of martial law towards the end of the Civil War? How might his case have affected the reconstruction of the South?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how freedom of speech and freedom of the press are affected during Lincoln's administration. What is the purpose of this particular suppression of civil liberties? If these two rights had not been suppressed during the war, how might the outcome of the war have been affected?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)