|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In reviewing the "U.S. Army Court Martial Cases" of 1863-65, why does Lincoln sometimes disagree with Holt?
2. Who runs against Lincoln in the 1864 election?
3. What is the Old Capitol prison?
4. Why does President Lincoln write a letter to Erastus Corning?
5. According to Lincoln, whom does the constitution give the power to declare war?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
2. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
3. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
4. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
5. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockades multiple times during the Civil War?
6. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
7. Who is Wes Bogan?
8. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
9. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
10. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Lincoln's experiences before the Civil War affect his policies during the Civil War? How are Lincoln's views on civil liberties and slavery shaped? What aspects of his policies change during his administration and what affects those changes in policy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the purpose and implementation of the Militia Act of 1862. How do a majority of Northern citizens react to the Act? What reasons are commonly given for draft evasion? How does the Union Army balance the retrieval of draft dodgers and deserters with the protection of commerce?
Essay Topic 3
What was the purpose of the Union's "scorched earth" policy? What legal precedents or laws are cited to excuse this practice? Describe the effect the scorched earth policy was intended to have on the South and the actual effect it had on the Confederacy.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)