|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joseph G. Knapp?
2. What is the Old Capitol prison?
3. What book does James G. Randall write that criticizes Lincoln's habeas corpus policy?
4. Who opposes refunding Jackson's fine and publishes a pamphlet about martial law threatening slavery?
5. How does the crew of the Banshee avoid arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
2. Describe the Dred Scott decision.
3. Who is Wes Bogan?
4. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
5. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockades multiple times during the Civil War?
6. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
7. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
8. What happens at Pohick Church in 1861?
9. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
10. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the arrest and trial of Clement L. Vallandingham affects any bipartisan efforts between the Democratic and Republican parties. How does Vallandingham's arrest affect the publicity of the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus? How does Vallandingham's arrest affect Congress?
Essay Topic 2
Describe reports of abuse among Union officials and their affect on the American people. How does the Pohick incident reflect on the Union Army? What differing opinions exist about the use of torture and how could reports of abuse and torture affect the reunification of the states?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of hostage taking and exchange during the Civil War. What is Lincoln's policy on the taking of civilian hostages? How is the seizure and exchange of civilian hostages justified by the Union Army? What standards are set up for the exchange of hostages?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)