|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who authored "Elements of International Law and Laws of War"?
2. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockade in 1864?
3. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
4. In Chapter 9, which congressman's arrest sparks rallies among his supporters?
5. In Chapter 6, what are the primary reasons for most arrests of Northern citizens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
2. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
3. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
4. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
5. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockades multiple times during the Civil War?
6. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
7. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
8. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
9. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
10. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the purpose and implementation of the Militia Act of 1862. How do a majority of Northern citizens react to the Act? What reasons are commonly given for draft evasion? How does the Union Army balance the retrieval of draft dodgers and deserters with the protection of commerce?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how fraud affects the Lincoln administration during the Civil War. What actions does Lincoln take to prevent fraud within the government? How does fraud affect the progress of the Union Army during the war?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rise and use of military commissions during the Civil War. What guidelines exist for Union Generals in reference to the arrest and trial of civilians? How do military commissions benefit the Union and what abuses are reported?
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)