|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country continues to import cotton from the South during the Civil War?
2. According to Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study, how many civilian prisoners were detained during the Civil War?
3. Which legitimate sailors are sometimes mistaken for blockade-runners?
4. According to President Lincoln, why would many civilian detainees have been in prison even with the right of habeas corpus?
5. In Chapter 9, why does the Illinois State Register accept martial law fait accompli?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
2. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
3. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
4. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
5. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
6. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
7. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
8. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
9. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
10. Who is Wes Bogan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the Confederacy uses guerilla tactics during the Civil War. How does the Union Army react to these tactics? What legal restrictions prevent the Union Army from combating some of the Confederate's guerilla tactics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the rise and use of military commissions during the Civil War. What guidelines exist for Union Generals in reference to the arrest and trial of civilians? How do military commissions benefit the Union and what abuses are reported?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how freedom of speech and freedom of the press are affected during Lincoln's administration. What is the purpose of this particular suppression of civil liberties? If these two rights had not been suppressed during the war, how might the outcome of the war have been affected?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)