|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the "White Flag Affair," how does Union General Christopher C. Augur convince three Confederates to release his captured Union soldiers?
2. Which famous church is raided and looted by Union troops in 1861?
3. What complaint does Joseph G. Knapp send to Edward Bates in Chapter 8?
4. Who renders the final verdict in Ex parte Milligan?
5. Who is Joseph Holt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
2. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
3. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
4. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
5. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
6. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
7. Describe the Dred Scott decision.
8. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
9. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
10. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the rise and use of military commissions during the Civil War. What guidelines exist for Union Generals in reference to the arrest and trial of civilians? How do military commissions benefit the Union and what abuses are reported?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the arrest and trial of Clement L. Vallandingham affects any bipartisan efforts between the Democratic and Republican parties. How does Vallandingham's arrest affect the publicity of the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus? How does Vallandingham's arrest affect Congress?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Great Britain play in the American Civil War? How do Confederates use international law and their relationship with Great Britain to their advantage? Why is the Union cautious about offending Britain?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)