|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Union general has President Lincoln's blessing to arrest all the men he wishes and freeing those who are willing to take an oath of allegiance?
2. In the "White Flag Affair," how does Union General Christopher C. Augur convince three Confederates to release his captured Union soldiers?
3. Which former President is almost arrested for being a Southern sympathizer during the Civil War?
4. How long are military courts allowed to try civilians?
5. According to Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study, how many civilian prisoners were detained during the Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
2. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
3. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
4. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
5. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
6. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
7. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
8. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
9. Describe the Dred Scott decision.
10. Who is Wes Bogan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the purpose of the Union's "scorched earth" policy? What legal precedents or laws are cited to excuse this practice? Describe the effect the scorched earth policy was intended to have on the South and the actual effect it had on the Confederacy.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of naval warfare during the Civil War. What difficulties arise for the Union in the detention and prosecution of suspected Confederate sailors? How does the Union Navy use the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus to their advantage?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of hostage taking and exchange during the Civil War. What is Lincoln's policy on the taking of civilian hostages? How is the seizure and exchange of civilian hostages justified by the Union Army? What standards are set up for the exchange of hostages?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)