|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which General orders all blockade runners released in 1864?
2. According to Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study, how many civilian prisoners were detained during the Civil War?
3. Why do the consequences of the Emancipation Proclamation concern Lincoln more than the reactions to the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus?
4. Who is Wes Bogan?
5. In Chapter 6, which Pro-Lincoln historian is accused of generalizing the prisoners' danger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Dred Scott decision.
2. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
3. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
4. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
5. Why is the Union careful to not offend Great Britain?
6. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
7. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
8. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
9. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
10. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lincoln feel it necessary to suspend the writ of habeas corpus? What are the positive and negative affects of the writ's suspension? According to historians, how might the precedents set by the suspension of the writ affect the future of American warfare policy?
Essay Topic 2
Describe reports of abuse among Union officials and their affect on the American people. How does the Pohick incident reflect on the Union Army? What differing opinions exist about the use of torture and how could reports of abuse and torture affect the reunification of the states?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the Confederacy uses guerilla tactics during the Civil War. How does the Union Army react to these tactics? What legal restrictions prevent the Union Army from combating some of the Confederate's guerilla tactics?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)