|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
2. What concerns does Joseph Holt have about rebel defectors who are found behind Union lines?
3. Which book does Andrew D. Duff write warnings of the dangerous precedents being set by President Lincoln's actions?
4. What is the Old Capitol prison?
5. Who opposes refunding Jackson's fine and publishes a pamphlet about martial law threatening slavery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
2. Why is the Union careful to not offend Great Britain?
3. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
4. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
5. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
6. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
7. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
8. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
9. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockades multiple times during the Civil War?
10. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the purpose of Lincoln's Corning letter. Why does Lincoln feel he must explain his actions to Corning and his associates? How do Northern Democrats react to the letter? What impact does Francis Lieber's recommendation in 1864 have on later interpretations of the letter?
Essay Topic 2
What events give rise to Martial law during the Civil War? Why does General William S. Harney describe the military's legal powers as "higher law"? What are the positive and negative affects of Martial law during the Civil War?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rise and use of military commissions during the Civil War. What guidelines exist for Union Generals in reference to the arrest and trial of civilians? How do military commissions benefit the Union and what abuses are reported?
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)