|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a congressman in 1848, why doesn't Lincoln want to wait for a constitutional amendment?
2. Why does the author have difficulty confirming civilian arrest records?
3. With what crime is Skipper F. N. Bonneau charged?
4. Who is the presidential nominee for the Democratic party in 1864?
5. In Chapter 6, which Pro-Lincoln historian is accused of generalizing the prisoners' danger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Wes Bogan?
2. Describe the Dred Scott decision.
3. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
4. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
5. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
6. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
7. Why is the Union careful to not offend Great Britain?
8. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
9. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
10. Why is the Banshee declared an agent of the Confederacy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of naval warfare during the Civil War. What difficulties arise for the Union in the detention and prosecution of suspected Confederate sailors? How does the Union Navy use the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus to their advantage?
Essay Topic 2
What role does Great Britain play in the American Civil War? How do Confederates use international law and their relationship with Great Britain to their advantage? Why is the Union cautious about offending Britain?
Essay Topic 3
How do Lincoln's experiences before the Civil War affect his policies during the Civil War? How are Lincoln's views on civil liberties and slavery shaped? What aspects of his policies change during his administration and what affects those changes in policy?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)