|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous church is raided and looted by Union troops in 1861?
2. What does the War Department and General E. R. S. Camby declare the Banshee?
3. In Chapter 8, why is an elderly man charged with violating his oath of allegiance to the Union?
4. According to President Lincoln, why would many civilian detainees have been in prison even with the right of habeas corpus?
5. In Chapter 9, what does Andrew D. Duff predict President Lincoln will not allow in November of 1864?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
2. Why is the Union careful to not offend Great Britain?
3. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
4. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
5. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
6. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
7. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
8. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
9. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
10. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does Ex parte Milligan have on Lincoln's administration? What is the political significance of the case for all American civilians? How does the case affect reconstruction in the South?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how freedom of speech and freedom of the press are affected during Lincoln's administration. What is the purpose of this particular suppression of civil liberties? If these two rights had not been suppressed during the war, how might the outcome of the war have been affected?
Essay Topic 3
Describe arguments for and against Lincoln's character and actions as President. Why do some early Civil War historians and Northern Democrats describe him as a dictator? How does Lincoln defend his character and actions against these accusations? In the light of history, how do most historians view the decisions he made during his administration?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)