|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which politician quotes Lord Coke by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed"?
2. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
3. Why does the author have difficulty confirming civilian arrest records?
4. How does the crew of the Banshee avoid arrest?
5. In Chapter 6, what are the primary reasons for most arrests of Northern citizens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Wes Bogan?
2. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
3. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
4. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
5. What happens at Pohick Church in 1861?
6. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
7. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
8. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
9. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
10. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the Confederacy uses guerilla tactics during the Civil War. How does the Union Army react to these tactics? What legal restrictions prevent the Union Army from combating some of the Confederate's guerilla tactics?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lincoln feel it necessary to suspend the writ of habeas corpus? What are the positive and negative affects of the writ's suspension? According to historians, how might the precedents set by the suspension of the writ affect the future of American warfare policy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of hostage taking and exchange during the Civil War. What is Lincoln's policy on the taking of civilian hostages? How is the seizure and exchange of civilian hostages justified by the Union Army? What standards are set up for the exchange of hostages?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)