|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what are the primary reasons for most arrests of Northern citizens?
2. Why does President Lincoln pardon Wes Brogan?
3. What sentence does Joseph Holt request for Wes Brogan?
4. Why does the author have difficulty confirming civilian arrest records?
5. With what crime is Skipper F. N. Bonneau charged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the purpose and implementation of the Militia Act of 1862. How do a majority of Northern citizens react to the Act? What reasons are commonly given for draft evasion? How does the Union Army balance the retrieval of draft dodgers and deserters with the protection of commerce?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Confederacy uses guerilla tactics during the Civil War. How does the Union Army react to these tactics? What legal restrictions prevent the Union Army from combating some of the Confederate's guerilla tactics?
Essay Topic 3
What events give rise to Martial law during the Civil War? Why does General William S. Harney describe the military's legal powers as "higher law"? What are the positive and negative affects of Martial law during the Civil War?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)