|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the War Department do when James Hamilton reveals the horrors he suffered as a hostage?
2. What sentence does Joseph Holt request for Wes Brogan?
3. Why does the author have difficulty confirming civilian arrest records?
4. What does the War Department and General E. R. S. Camby declare the Banshee?
5. What is the significance of Ex parte Milligan?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
2. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
3. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
4. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
5. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
6. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
7. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
8. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
9. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
10. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe reports of abuse among Union officials and their affect on the American people. How does the Pohick incident reflect on the Union Army? What differing opinions exist about the use of torture and how could reports of abuse and torture affect the reunification of the states?
Essay Topic 2
What events give rise to Martial law during the Civil War? Why does General William S. Harney describe the military's legal powers as "higher law"? What are the positive and negative affects of Martial law during the Civil War?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of hostage taking and exchange during the Civil War. What is Lincoln's policy on the taking of civilian hostages? How is the seizure and exchange of civilian hostages justified by the Union Army? What standards are set up for the exchange of hostages?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)