Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who opposes refunding Jackson's fine and publishes a pamphlet about martial law threatening slavery?
2. To which military and political leader does James Bryce liken President Lincoln?
3. Who is the presidential nominee for the Democratic party in 1864?
4. Which state has the most military trials?
5. What is the significance of Ex parte Milligan?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of naval warfare during the Civil War. What difficulties arise for the Union in the detention and prosecution of suspected Confederate sailors? How does the Union Navy use the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus to their advantage?
Essay Topic 2
How does Joseph Griffin's case set the stage for Ex parte Milligan? What impact does Mr. Griffin's case have on the practice of martial law towards the end of the Civil War? How might his case have affected the reconstruction of the South?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of hostage taking and exchange during the Civil War. What is Lincoln's policy on the taking of civilian hostages? How is the seizure and exchange of civilian hostages justified by the Union Army? What standards are set up for the exchange of hostages?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)