|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country continues to import cotton from the South during the Civil War?
2. What is the significance of Ex parte Milligan?
3. In Chapter 9, what does Andrew D. Duff predict President Lincoln will not allow in November of 1864?
4. Who opposes refunding Jackson's fine and publishes a pamphlet about martial law threatening slavery?
5. What book does James G. Randall write that criticizes Lincoln's habeas corpus policy?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the arrest and trial of Clement L. Vallandingham affects any bipartisan efforts between the Democratic and Republican parties. How does Vallandingham's arrest affect the publicity of the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus? How does Vallandingham's arrest affect Congress?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different forms of civil protests used by Lincoln's opponents. How does Lincoln's administration react to these protests and what effect does that reaction have on the original purpose of the protests?
Essay Topic 3
What events give rise to Martial law during the Civil War? Why does General William S. Harney describe the military's legal powers as "higher law"? What are the positive and negative affects of Martial law during the Civil War?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)