|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clement L. Vallandigham's arrest cause widespread Democratic protests?
2. Who are the Copperheads?
3. What concerns do Union commanders have about Confederate deserters?
4. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
5. Which book of John A. Marshall's is well read among Lincoln's critics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
2. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
3. Describe the Militia Act of 1862.
4. How is guerrilla warfare used in the Civil War?
5. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
6. Why is Dennis A. Mahony arrested?
7. Why do mobs from Baltimore burn bridges in 1861?
8. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
9. How are Jews treated by the Union in Chapter 5?
10. How does Lincoln's decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus divide politicians in 1861?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does Ex parte Milligan have on Lincoln's administration? What is the political significance of the case for all American civilians? How does the case affect reconstruction in the South?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the rise and use of military commissions during the Civil War. What guidelines exist for Union Generals in reference to the arrest and trial of civilians? How do military commissions benefit the Union and what abuses are reported?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how freedom of speech and freedom of the press are affected during Lincoln's administration. What is the purpose of this particular suppression of civil liberties? If these two rights had not been suppressed during the war, how might the outcome of the war have been affected?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)