|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dennis A. Mahony secure his release?
2. Which group of Americans is excluded from Grant's order in Chapter 4?
3. What does Samuel E. Perkins do in Chapter 4?
4. To whom does President Lincoln have to explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
5. Which newspaper does Chauncey Burr publish in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lincoln's decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus divide politicians in 1861?
2. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
3. Why does Lincoln suspend the writ of habeas corpus of rail routes from Philadelphia to Washington in April of 1861?
4. Describe Henry W. Halleck.
5. Describe the Militia Act of 1862.
6. How is guerrilla warfare used in the Civil War?
7. What is the result of Joseph Griffin's suit against Captain Frank Wilcox?
8. How is the scorched earth policy used during the Civil War?
9. Why must President Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus to Congress?
10. How does the War Department combat corruption during the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of naval warfare during the Civil War. What difficulties arise for the Union in the detention and prosecution of suspected Confederate sailors? How does the Union Navy use the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus to their advantage?
Essay Topic 2
How does Joseph Griffin's case set the stage for Ex parte Milligan? What impact does Mr. Griffin's case have on the practice of martial law towards the end of the Civil War? How might his case have affected the reconstruction of the South?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the arrest and trial of Clement L. Vallandingham affects any bipartisan efforts between the Democratic and Republican parties. How does Vallandingham's arrest affect the publicity of the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus? How does Vallandingham's arrest affect Congress?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)