|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Dennis A. Mahony write after his release?
2. What does General John C. Frymont do in Chapter 2?
3. How many civilian arrests does William Seward preside over in Chapter 1?
4. What happens to Assistant Judge William M. Merrick in Chapter 1?
5. Who sets John Eitel's bail in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
2. Why does the War Department seize John N. Eitel in 1865?
3. How are Jews treated by the Union in Chapter 5?
4. How do Union officials react to reports of torture from prisoners of war?
5. How is guerrilla warfare used in the Civil War?
6. What is the result of Joseph Griffin's suit against Captain Frank Wilcox?
7. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
8. Describe the purpose of the Habeas Corpus Act.
9. How is the press used by the Confederate supporters in 1864 to create panic in New York?
10. What controversy arises between Peter H. Watson and a Union Senator in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does Ex parte Milligan have on Lincoln's administration? What is the political significance of the case for all American civilians? How does the case affect reconstruction in the South?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Confederacy uses guerilla tactics during the Civil War. How does the Union Army react to these tactics? What legal restrictions prevent the Union Army from combating some of the Confederate's guerilla tactics?
Essay Topic 3
Describe arguments for and against Lincoln's character and actions as President. Why do some early Civil War historians and Northern Democrats describe him as a dictator? How does Lincoln defend his character and actions against these accusations? In the light of history, how do most historians view the decisions he made during his administration?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)