|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What precedent is set in Joseph Griffin's case?
2. Why does Joseph Griffin sue Captain Frank Wilcox for false imprisonment?
3. What unusual qualities does Henry W. Halleck have in a leader?
4. Why does William Seward feel it necessary to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
5. Which group of Americans is excluded from Grant's order in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
2. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
3. Why does the War Department seize John N. Eitel in 1865?
4. How do Union officials react to reports of torture from prisoners of war?
5. Why is Dennis A. Mahony arrested?
6. How is the scorched earth policy used during the Civil War?
7. Why does Lincoln admire Andrew Jackson?
8. Describe the Militia Act of 1862.
9. How does Lincoln's decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus divide politicians in 1861?
10. What is the purpose of John A. Marshall's book, "The American Bastile"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the purpose of Lincoln's Corning letter. Why does Lincoln feel he must explain his actions to Corning and his associates? How do Northern Democrats react to the letter? What impact does Francis Lieber's recommendation in 1864 have on later interpretations of the letter?
Essay Topic 2
Describe arguments for and against Lincoln's character and actions as President. Why do some early Civil War historians and Northern Democrats describe him as a dictator? How does Lincoln defend his character and actions against these accusations? In the light of history, how do most historians view the decisions he made during his administration?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rise and use of military commissions during the Civil War. What guidelines exist for Union Generals in reference to the arrest and trial of civilians? How do military commissions benefit the Union and what abuses are reported?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)