|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which judge challenges President Lincoln's right to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
2. According to Lincoln, why are multiple arrests made in Maryland in Chapter 1?
3. Who is Joseph Aubuchon?
4. Why is John Merryman arrested in Chapter 1?
5. After what battle do arrests of Southern citizens begin to decline?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
2. Who is Wes Bogan?
3. How is the scorched earth policy used during the Civil War?
4. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
5. What caution does Neely give to readers who study Lincoln's actions during the Civil War?
6. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
7. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
8. How is Mary Surratt's case used against Lincoln?
9. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
10. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the warning Neely gives his readers about bias among historians. What cautions should a person take when studying history? How could political bias affect a person's view of history?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Confederacy uses guerilla tactics during the Civil War. How does the Union Army react to these tactics? What legal restrictions prevent the Union Army from combating some of the Confederate's guerilla tactics?
Essay Topic 3
What impact does Ex parte Milligan have on Lincoln's administration? What is the political significance of the case for all American civilians? How does the case affect reconstruction in the South?
This section contains 1,852 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)