|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lincoln, why are multiple arrests made in Maryland in Chapter 1?
2. Which former President is nearly arrested in Chapter 1?
3. What type of state is Missouri described as being in Chapter 2?
4. Which judge challenges President Lincoln's right to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
5. Why does William Seward feel it necessary to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Espionage Act of 1917 influenced by Lincoln?
2. How is the scorched earth policy used during the Civil War?
3. How does Lincoln's decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus divide politicians in 1861?
4. What happens at Pohick Church in 1861?
5. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
6. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
7. Describe the Militia Act of 1862.
8. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
9. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
10. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
Essay Topic 1
Describe reports of abuse among Union officials and their affect on the American people. How does the Pohick incident reflect on the Union Army? What differing opinions exist about the use of torture and how could reports of abuse and torture affect the reunification of the states?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the purpose and implementation of the Militia Act of 1862. How do a majority of Northern citizens react to the Act? What reasons are commonly given for draft evasion? How does the Union Army balance the retrieval of draft dodgers and deserters with the protection of commerce?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how fraud affects the Lincoln administration during the Civil War. What actions does Lincoln take to prevent fraud within the government? How does fraud affect the progress of the Union Army during the war?
This section contains 1,815 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)