|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Edmund J. Ellis?
2. After what battle do arrests of Southern citizens begin to decline?
3. What book does Dennis A. Mahony write after his release?
4. What concerns do Union commanders have about Confederate deserters?
5. What does General Order No. 104 request that civilian and military authorities do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must President Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus to Congress?
2. Why does Lincoln admire Andrew Jackson?
3. How does General Grant respond to the guerrilla tactics of John Singleton Mosby?
4. Describe Henry W. Halleck.
5. How are military commissions used during the Civil War?
6. What controversy arises between Peter H. Watson and a Union Senator in Chapter 5?
7. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
8. What is the result of Joseph Griffin's suit against Captain Frank Wilcox?
9. Why does the War Department seize John N. Eitel in 1865?
10. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the Confederacy uses guerilla tactics during the Civil War. How does the Union Army react to these tactics? What legal restrictions prevent the Union Army from combating some of the Confederate's guerilla tactics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the purpose and implementation of the Militia Act of 1862. How do a majority of Northern citizens react to the Act? What reasons are commonly given for draft evasion? How does the Union Army balance the retrieval of draft dodgers and deserters with the protection of commerce?
Essay Topic 3
Describe arguments for and against Lincoln's character and actions as President. Why do some early Civil War historians and Northern Democrats describe him as a dictator? How does Lincoln defend his character and actions against these accusations? In the light of history, how do most historians view the decisions he made during his administration?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)