Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles confide in his diary?
2. Whom does Lincoln turn to for advice when Baltimore mobs burn railroad bridges?
3. Who intervenes on John Eitel's behalf?
4. What are the most common reasons for civilian arrest between 1863 and 1864?
5. Who is nicknamed the "Beast of New Orleans"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
2. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
3. How do Union officials react to reports of torture from prisoners of war?
4. Why is the Union careful to not offend Great Britain?
5. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
6. Who is Wes Bogan?
7. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
8. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
9. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
10. How is the press used by the Confederate supporters in 1864 to create panic in New York?
Discuss the importance of naval warfare during the Civil War. What difficulties arise for the Union in the detention and prosecution of suspected Confederate sailors? How does the Union Navy use the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus to their advantage?
Describe the different forms of civil protests used by Lincoln's opponents. How does Lincoln's administration react to these protests and what effect does that reaction have on the original purpose of the protests?
Describe how fraud affects the Lincoln administration during the Civil War. What actions does Lincoln take to prevent fraud within the government? How does fraud affect the progress of the Union Army during the war?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)