|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Lincoln turn to for advice when Baltimore mobs burn railroad bridges?
2. Who intervenes on Abraham Friedenreich's behalf?
3. What does Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles confide in his diary?
4. How are disloyal citizens tried in Chapter 2?
5. What does General Order No. 104 request that civilian and military authorities do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
2. Describe the Militia Act of 1862.
3. How does Lincoln's decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus divide politicians in 1861?
4. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
5. Why does Lincoln admire Andrew Jackson?
6. What controversy arises between Peter H. Watson and a Union Senator in Chapter 5?
7. How is the press used by the Confederate supporters in 1864 to create panic in New York?
8. Who is Chauncey Burr?
9. What is the purpose of John A. Marshall's book, "The American Bastile"?
10. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the warning Neely gives his readers about bias among historians. What cautions should a person take when studying history? How could political bias affect a person's view of history?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different forms of civil protests used by Lincoln's opponents. How does Lincoln's administration react to these protests and what effect does that reaction have on the original purpose of the protests?
Essay Topic 3
Describe arguments for and against Lincoln's character and actions as President. Why do some early Civil War historians and Northern Democrats describe him as a dictator? How does Lincoln defend his character and actions against these accusations? In the light of history, how do most historians view the decisions he made during his administration?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)