|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles confide in his diary?
2. Whom does Lincoln turn to for advice when Baltimore mobs burn railroad bridges?
3. Who intervenes on John Eitel's behalf?
4. What are the most common reasons for civilian arrest between 1863 and 1864?
5. Who is nicknamed the "Beast of New Orleans"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
2. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
3. How do Union officials react to reports of torture from prisoners of war?
4. Why is the Union careful to not offend Great Britain?
5. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
6. Who is Wes Bogan?
7. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
8. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
9. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
10. How is the press used by the Confederate supporters in 1864 to create panic in New York?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the warning Neely gives his readers about bias among historians. What cautions should a person take when studying history? How could political bias affect a person's view of history?
Essay Topic 2
What was the purpose of the Union's "scorched earth" policy? What legal precedents or laws are cited to excuse this practice? Describe the effect the scorched earth policy was intended to have on the South and the actual effect it had on the Confederacy.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the purpose and implementation of the Militia Act of 1862. How do a majority of Northern citizens react to the Act? What reasons are commonly given for draft evasion? How does the Union Army balance the retrieval of draft dodgers and deserters with the protection of commerce?
This section contains 1,842 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)