|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, on what charge are civilians who burn bridges typically tried?
2. Why is Nathaniel Bachelder arrested in Chapter 3?
3. How are disloyal citizens tried in Chapter 2?
4. What orders does President Lincoln give General Benjamin F. Butler and General-in-Chief Winfield Scott in Chapter 1?
5. Who intervenes on John Eitel's behalf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
2. Who is Chauncey Burr?
3. Why must President Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus to Congress?
4. How are Jews treated by the Union in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Lincoln suspend the writ of habeas corpus of rail routes from Philadelphia to Washington in April of 1861?
6. What is the result of Joseph Griffin's suit against Captain Frank Wilcox?
7. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
8. Why does Lincoln admire Andrew Jackson?
9. How is the scorched earth policy used during the Civil War?
10. How is guerrilla warfare used in the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of naval warfare during the Civil War. What difficulties arise for the Union in the detention and prosecution of suspected Confederate sailors? How does the Union Navy use the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus to their advantage?
Essay Topic 2
What events give rise to Martial law during the Civil War? Why does General William S. Harney describe the military's legal powers as "higher law"? What are the positive and negative affects of Martial law during the Civil War?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the warning Neely gives his readers about bias among historians. What cautions should a person take when studying history? How could political bias affect a person's view of history?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)