|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns do Union commanders have about Confederate deserters?
2. Which judge challenges President Lincoln's right to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
3. In Chapter 2, on what charge are civilians who burn bridges typically tried?
4. Why does Joseph Griffin sue Captain Frank Wilcox for false imprisonment?
5. What form of torture is commonly accepted among the administration during the Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
2. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
3. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
4. How are Jews treated by the Union in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Lincoln admire Andrew Jackson?
6. Who is Chauncey Burr?
7. Why must President Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus to Congress?
8. Describe the purpose of the Habeas Corpus Act.
9. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
10. How is the press used by the Confederate supporters in 1864 to create panic in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Great Britain play in the American Civil War? How do Confederates use international law and their relationship with Great Britain to their advantage? Why is the Union cautious about offending Britain?
Essay Topic 2
How do Lincoln's experiences before the Civil War affect his policies during the Civil War? How are Lincoln's views on civil liberties and slavery shaped? What aspects of his policies change during his administration and what affects those changes in policy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the Confederacy uses guerilla tactics during the Civil War. How does the Union Army react to these tactics? What legal restrictions prevent the Union Army from combating some of the Confederate's guerilla tactics?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)