|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book of John A. Marshall's is well read among Lincoln's critics?
2. What does Samuel E. Perkins do in Chapter 4?
3. Who sets John Eitel's bail in Chapter 5?
4. In 1864, what bogus presidential proclamation is published in the New York "World" and the "Journal of Commerce"?
5. How are disloyal citizens tried in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry W. Halleck.
2. How does the War Department combat corruption during the Civil War?
3. How does General Grant respond to the guerrilla tactics of John Singleton Mosby?
4. Why does the War Department seize John N. Eitel in 1865?
5. Why do mobs from Baltimore burn bridges in 1861?
6. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
7. How is the scorched earth policy used during the Civil War?
8. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
9. Describe the purpose of the Habeas Corpus Act.
10. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the purpose of the Union's "scorched earth" policy? What legal precedents or laws are cited to excuse this practice? Describe the effect the scorched earth policy was intended to have on the South and the actual effect it had on the Confederacy.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the use of hostage taking and exchange during the Civil War. What is Lincoln's policy on the taking of civilian hostages? How is the seizure and exchange of civilian hostages justified by the Union Army? What standards are set up for the exchange of hostages?
Essay Topic 3
Describe reports of abuse among Union officials and their affect on the American people. How does the Pohick incident reflect on the Union Army? What differing opinions exist about the use of torture and how could reports of abuse and torture affect the reunification of the states?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)