|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the most common reasons for civilian arrest between 1863 and 1864?
2. In Chapter 5, what does Pardon Worsley convince clerks from several prominent businesses that he has the permits and power to do?
3. Who is Joseph Aubuchon?
4. Why is Dennis A. Mahony arrested in Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 5, what do some of the men that Watson has arrested offer Charles Dana?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the War Department combat corruption during the Civil War?
2. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
3. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
4. What is the result of Joseph Griffin's suit against Captain Frank Wilcox?
5. Why does Lincoln admire Andrew Jackson?
6. Who is Chauncey Burr?
7. Describe the Militia Act of 1862.
8. How does General Grant respond to the guerrilla tactics of John Singleton Mosby?
9. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
10. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe reports of abuse among Union officials and their affect on the American people. How does the Pohick incident reflect on the Union Army? What differing opinions exist about the use of torture and how could reports of abuse and torture affect the reunification of the states?
Essay Topic 2
Describe arguments for and against Lincoln's character and actions as President. Why do some early Civil War historians and Northern Democrats describe him as a dictator? How does Lincoln defend his character and actions against these accusations? In the light of history, how do most historians view the decisions he made during his administration?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rise and use of military commissions during the Civil War. What guidelines exist for Union Generals in reference to the arrest and trial of civilians? How do military commissions benefit the Union and what abuses are reported?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)