|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Dennis A. Mahony write after his release?
2. Who is Edmund J. Ellis?
3. What does Samuel E. Perkins do in Chapter 4?
4. When does Lincoln suspend the writ of habeas corpus in Missouri?
5. Which two bills does Congress pass on March 3, 1863?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
2. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
3. Describe the Dred Scott decision.
4. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
5. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
6. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
7. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
8. Why does Lincoln suspend the writ of habeas corpus of rail routes from Philadelphia to Washington in April of 1861?
9. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
10. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different forms of civil protests used by Lincoln's opponents. How does Lincoln's administration react to these protests and what effect does that reaction have on the original purpose of the protests?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how fraud affects the Lincoln administration during the Civil War. What actions does Lincoln take to prevent fraud within the government? How does fraud affect the progress of the Union Army during the war?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Great Britain play in the American Civil War? How do Confederates use international law and their relationship with Great Britain to their advantage? Why is the Union cautious about offending Britain?
This section contains 1,946 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)