|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, on what charge are civilians who burn bridges typically tried?
2. Why does William Seward feel it necessary to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
3. How are disloyal citizens tried in Chapter 2?
4. Which newspaper does Chauncey Burr publish in Chapter 3?
5. Why does Joseph Griffin sue Captain Frank Wilcox for false imprisonment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
2. How does the War Department combat corruption during the Civil War?
3. How does Lincoln's decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus divide politicians in 1861?
4. How are military commissions used during the Civil War?
5. How is the scorched earth policy used during the Civil War?
6. Why does the War Department seize John N. Eitel in 1865?
7. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
8. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
9. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
10. Why do mobs from Baltimore burn bridges in 1861?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe arguments for and against Lincoln's character and actions as President. Why do some early Civil War historians and Northern Democrats describe him as a dictator? How does Lincoln defend his character and actions against these accusations? In the light of history, how do most historians view the decisions he made during his administration?
Essay Topic 2
How does Joseph Griffin's case set the stage for Ex parte Milligan? What impact does Mr. Griffin's case have on the practice of martial law towards the end of the Civil War? How might his case have affected the reconstruction of the South?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the purpose and implementation of the Militia Act of 1862. How do a majority of Northern citizens react to the Act? What reasons are commonly given for draft evasion? How does the Union Army balance the retrieval of draft dodgers and deserters with the protection of commerce?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)