|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is John Merryman arrested in Chapter 1?
2. What precedent is set in Joseph Griffin's case?
3. Who is nicknamed the "Beast of New Orleans"?
4. What decision does General John C. Frymont make about Joseph Aubuchon?
5. How are Confederate deserters often treated by Union troops in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of John A. Marshall's book, "The American Bastile"?
2. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
3. Why is Dennis A. Mahony arrested?
4. Who is Chauncey Burr?
5. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
6. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
7. How is the press used by the Confederate supporters in 1864 to create panic in New York?
8. Why must President Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus to Congress?
9. Describe Henry W. Halleck.
10. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how freedom of speech and freedom of the press are affected during Lincoln's administration. What is the purpose of this particular suppression of civil liberties? If these two rights had not been suppressed during the war, how might the outcome of the war have been affected?
Essay Topic 2
What impact does Ex parte Milligan have on Lincoln's administration? What is the political significance of the case for all American civilians? How does the case affect reconstruction in the South?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the Confederacy uses guerilla tactics during the Civil War. How does the Union Army react to these tactics? What legal restrictions prevent the Union Army from combating some of the Confederate's guerilla tactics?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)