|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does William Seward feel it necessary to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
2. Which newspaper does Chauncey Burr publish in Chapter 3?
3. Dennis A. Mahony is editor of which newspaper in Chapter 3?
4. Why is Chauncey Burr arrested in Chapter 3?
5. Whom does General Grant expel from Tennessee for violating Treasury regulations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
2. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
3. Why does Lincoln suspend the writ of habeas corpus of rail routes from Philadelphia to Washington in April of 1861?
4. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
5. Why must President Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus to Congress?
6. How do Union officials react to reports of torture from prisoners of war?
7. How is the scorched earth policy used during the Civil War?
8. Why is Dennis A. Mahony arrested?
9. What is the result of Joseph Griffin's suit against Captain Frank Wilcox?
10. Describe the Militia Act of 1862.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does Ex parte Milligan have on Lincoln's administration? What is the political significance of the case for all American civilians? How does the case affect reconstruction in the South?
Essay Topic 2
What events give rise to Martial law during the Civil War? Why does General William S. Harney describe the military's legal powers as "higher law"? What are the positive and negative affects of Martial law during the Civil War?
Essay Topic 3
How does Joseph Griffin's case set the stage for Ex parte Milligan? What impact does Mr. Griffin's case have on the practice of martial law towards the end of the Civil War? How might his case have affected the reconstruction of the South?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)