|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles confide in his diary?
2. Whom does Lincoln turn to for advice when Baltimore mobs burn railroad bridges?
3. Who intervenes on John Eitel's behalf?
4. What are the most common reasons for civilian arrest between 1863 and 1864?
5. Who is nicknamed the "Beast of New Orleans"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
2. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
3. How do Union officials react to reports of torture from prisoners of war?
4. Why is the Union careful to not offend Great Britain?
5. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
6. Who is Wes Bogan?
7. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
8. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
9. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
10. How is the press used by the Confederate supporters in 1864 to create panic in New York?
Essay Topic 1
What impact does Ex parte Milligan have on Lincoln's administration? What is the political significance of the case for all American civilians? How does the case affect reconstruction in the South?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the arrest and trial of Clement L. Vallandingham affects any bipartisan efforts between the Democratic and Republican parties. How does Vallandingham's arrest affect the publicity of the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus? How does Vallandingham's arrest affect Congress?
Essay Topic 3
Describe arguments for and against Lincoln's character and actions as President. Why do some early Civil War historians and Northern Democrats describe him as a dictator? How does Lincoln defend his character and actions against these accusations? In the light of history, how do most historians view the decisions he made during his administration?
This section contains 1,842 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)