|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are disloyal citizens tried in Chapter 2?
2. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
3. Why does General William S. Harney refuse to release Captain Emmett McDonald?
4. Which newspaper does Chauncey Burr publish in Chapter 3?
5. Which book of John A. Marshall's is well read among Lincoln's critics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
2. Describe the Militia Act of 1862.
3. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
4. How do Union officials react to reports of torture from prisoners of war?
5. How does Lincoln's decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus divide politicians in 1861?
6. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
7. Why do mobs from Baltimore burn bridges in 1861?
8. Why does the War Department seize John N. Eitel in 1865?
9. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
10. Describe Henry W. Halleck.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the purpose of Lincoln's Corning letter. Why does Lincoln feel he must explain his actions to Corning and his associates? How do Northern Democrats react to the letter? What impact does Francis Lieber's recommendation in 1864 have on later interpretations of the letter?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the use of hostage taking and exchange during the Civil War. What is Lincoln's policy on the taking of civilian hostages? How is the seizure and exchange of civilian hostages justified by the Union Army? What standards are set up for the exchange of hostages?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the purpose and implementation of the Militia Act of 1862. How do a majority of Northern citizens react to the Act? What reasons are commonly given for draft evasion? How does the Union Army balance the retrieval of draft dodgers and deserters with the protection of commerce?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)