|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does General William S. Harney refuse to release Captain Emmett McDonald?
2. How are disloyal citizens tried in Chapter 2?
3. Why does Joseph Griffin sue Captain Frank Wilcox for false imprisonment?
4. What does Attorney General Edward Bates prepare for President Lincoln in Chapter 1?
5. What is the name of the military strategy which orders the complete destruction of enemy property or resources?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
2. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
3. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
4. How do Union officials react to reports of torture from prisoners of war?
5. How does the War Department combat corruption during the Civil War?
6. Why do mobs from Baltimore burn bridges in 1861?
7. Who is Chauncey Burr?
8. Why does the War Department seize John N. Eitel in 1865?
9. How are military commissions used during the Civil War?
10. How is guerrilla warfare used in the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the Confederacy uses guerilla tactics during the Civil War. How does the Union Army react to these tactics? What legal restrictions prevent the Union Army from combating some of the Confederate's guerilla tactics?
Essay Topic 2
How do Lincoln's experiences before the Civil War affect his policies during the Civil War? How are Lincoln's views on civil liberties and slavery shaped? What aspects of his policies change during his administration and what affects those changes in policy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the warning Neely gives his readers about bias among historians. What cautions should a person take when studying history? How could political bias affect a person's view of history?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)