|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname is given to President Lincoln?
2. Why does the War Department arrest John N. Eitel in 1865?
3. Which book of John A. Marshall's is well read among Lincoln's critics?
4. Which former U.S. President does Lincoln admire?
5. What is the name of the military strategy which orders the complete destruction of enemy property or resources?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
2. Describe the Militia Act of 1862.
3. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
4. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
5. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
6. How is Mary Surratt's case used against Lincoln?
7. How does Lincoln's decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus divide politicians in 1861?
8. Who is Wes Bogan?
9. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
10. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe arguments for and against Lincoln's character and actions as President. Why do some early Civil War historians and Northern Democrats describe him as a dictator? How does Lincoln defend his character and actions against these accusations? In the light of history, how do most historians view the decisions he made during his administration?
Essay Topic 2
Describe reports of abuse among Union officials and their affect on the American people. How does the Pohick incident reflect on the Union Army? What differing opinions exist about the use of torture and how could reports of abuse and torture affect the reunification of the states?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of hostage taking and exchange during the Civil War. What is Lincoln's policy on the taking of civilian hostages? How is the seizure and exchange of civilian hostages justified by the Union Army? What standards are set up for the exchange of hostages?
This section contains 1,821 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)