|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Abraham Lincoln inaugurated?
2. How are Confederate deserters often treated by Union troops in Chapter 4?
3. Who are the Copperheads?
4. In Chapter 5, what does Pardon Worsley convince clerks from several prominent businesses that he has the permits and power to do?
5. Why do mobs burn railroad bridges in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Jews treated by the Union in Chapter 5?
2. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
3. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
4. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
5. Describe Henry W. Halleck.
6. How do Union officials react to reports of torture from prisoners of war?
7. How is the scorched earth policy used during the Civil War?
8. What is the result of Joseph Griffin's suit against Captain Frank Wilcox?
9. How are military commissions used during the Civil War?
10. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lincoln feel it necessary to suspend the writ of habeas corpus? What are the positive and negative affects of the writ's suspension? According to historians, how might the precedents set by the suspension of the writ affect the future of American warfare policy?
Essay Topic 2
What was the purpose of the Union's "scorched earth" policy? What legal precedents or laws are cited to excuse this practice? Describe the effect the scorched earth policy was intended to have on the South and the actual effect it had on the Confederacy.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rise and use of military commissions during the Civil War. What guidelines exist for Union Generals in reference to the arrest and trial of civilians? How do military commissions benefit the Union and what abuses are reported?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)