|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what crime is Skipper F. N. Bonneau charged?
2. Why does the author have difficulty confirming civilian arrest records?
(a) The National Archive will not release military arrest records.
(b) Some records are missing, damaged or mixed with POW data.
(c) Many civillian arrest records were destroyed after the war.
(d) Many records are still sealed.
3. What could the Wilmot Proviso possibly ban?
(b) Habeas Corpus.
(c) Freedom of speech.
(d) Marshal Law.
4. Why does President Lincoln pardon Wes Brogan?
(a) Because he does not believe in slavery.
(b) He wants to use Mr. Brogan as a Union spy.
(c) He believes Mr. Brogan acted in self-defense.
(d) Because he does not want to damage the economy.
5. Which politician quotes Lord Coke by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed"?
(a) Clement Vallandingham.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) George B. McClellan.
(d) Horatio Seymour.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does James G. Randall write that criticizes Lincoln's habeas corpus policy?
2. Which pioneer political scientist drafts War Department General Order No. 100, specifying that hostages be treated as POWs?
3. Who renders the final verdict in Ex parte Milligan?
4. In 1862, which governor arrests 70 "vile secessionists" and essentially keeps these civilians as hostages?
5. Who authored "Elements of International Law and Laws of War"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
2. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
3. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
4. Describe the Dred Scott decision.
5. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
6. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
7. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
8. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
9. Why is the Union careful to not offend Great Britain?
10. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)