|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complaint does Joseph G. Knapp send to Edward Bates in Chapter 8?
(a) The Union army is taking advantage of the Martial Law Act.
(b) The New Mexico military is misusing the Militia Act.
(c) The New Mexico military is misusing the habeas corpus order.
(d) The Union army is taking advantage of the Writ Act.
2. According to John Quincy Adams, what gives Congress the power to abolish slavery?
(a) Divine law.
(b) Its war powers.
(c) The Constitution.
(d) Its legal powers.
3. What is the Old Capitol prison?
(a) A prison for captured Confederates and civilian political prisoners.
(b) A place where military tortures were carried out.
(c) A prison for Union deserters.
(d) A prison for spies and murderers.
4. Who is Dred Scott?
(a) A slave who sues for his freedom.
(b) A grocer arrested for bringing illegal goods across picket lines.
(c) A Confederate spy.
(d) A wealthy businessman arrested for blockade running.
5. In the "White Flag Affair," how does Union General Christopher C. Augur convince three Confederates to release his captured Union soldiers?
(a) By threatening to burn their farms.
(b) By holding their fathers hostage.
(c) By holding their eldest sons hostage.
(d) By holding their wives hostage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
2. What is an "arbitrary arrest"?
3. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
4. What could the Wilmot Proviso possibly ban?
5. Who authored "Elements of International Law and Laws of War"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
2. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
3. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
4. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
5. Describe the Dred Scott decision.
6. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
7. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
8. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
9. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
10. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)