|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Joseph Holt?
(a) Secretary of State from 1881-1884.
(b) Judge Advocate General in 1862.
(c) Secretary of War from 1863-65.
(d) District Attorney of D.C. from 1863-65.
2. Which General orders all blockade runners released in 1864?
(a) William T. Sherman.
(b) John A. Dix.
(c) Ulysses S. Grant.
(d) Edward Bates.
3. In the "White Flag Affair," how does Union General Christopher C. Augur convince three Confederates to release his captured Union soldiers?
(a) By holding their wives hostage.
(b) By threatening to burn their farms.
(c) By holding their eldest sons hostage.
(d) By holding their fathers hostage.
4. What does the "Fishing Creek Confederacy" protest?
(a) Wartime draft.
(c) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(d) The Militia Act.
5. In 1862, which governor arrests 70 "vile secessionists" and essentially keeps these civilians as hostages?
(a) James McPherson.
(b) Joel H. Silbey.
(c) Francis Lieber.
(d) Andrew Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of Ex parte Milligan?
2. Which politician quotes Lord Coke by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed"?
3. What could the Wilmot Proviso possibly ban?
4. What concerns does Joseph Holt have about rebel defectors who are found behind Union lines?
5. What war makes Lincoln aware of the importance of constitutional issues?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Wes Bogan?
2. Why is the Banshee declared an agent of the Confederacy?
3. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
4. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
5. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
6. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
7. Why is the Union careful to not offend Great Britain?
8. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
9. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
10. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)