|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "The American Cyclopaedia and Register of Important Events of the Year 1865," how many citizens are denied habeas corpus?
2. Which state has the most military trials?
3. According to Lincoln, what act did President Jefferson commit without having the constitutional power to do so?
(a) War with the French.
(b) The Militia Act.
(c) War with Mexico.
(d) The Louisiana Purchase.
4. What complaint does Joseph G. Knapp send to Edward Bates in Chapter 8?
(a) The Union army is taking advantage of the Martial Law Act.
(b) The Union army is taking advantage of the Writ Act.
(c) The New Mexico military is misusing the habeas corpus order.
(d) The New Mexico military is misusing the Militia Act.
5. Which Democratic supporter gives a speech during the 1864 campaigns claiming that emancipation will make postwar reunion difficult?
(a) Clement Vallandingham.
(b) Horatio Seymour.
(c) George B. McClellan.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joseph Holt?
2. Who opposes refunding Jackson's fine and publishes a pamphlet about martial law threatening slavery?
3. According to President Lincoln, why would many civilian detainees have been in prison even with the right of habeas corpus?
4. Why are no military trials conducted in Delaware during the Civil War?
5. In Chapter 9, what does Andrew D. Duff predict President Lincoln will not allow in November of 1864?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
2. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
3. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
4. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
5. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
6. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
7. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
8. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
9. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
10. Describe the Dred Scott decision.
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)