|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Old Capitol prison?
(a) A prison for spies and murderers.
(b) A prison for captured Confederates and civilian political prisoners.
(c) A prison for Union deserters.
(d) A place where military tortures were carried out.
2. Why are no military trials conducted in Delaware during the Civil War?
(a) Deleware is a neutral state.
(b) Delaware is Lincoln's home state.
(c) There is no guerrilla warfare or occupation in Delaware.
(d) The state charter expressly forbids martial law.
3. What does the War Department do when James Hamilton reveals the horrors he suffered as a hostage?
(a) Attack the Confederate prison and release the Union POWs.
(b) Offer him remuneration.
(c) Burn the bordering farms and villages.
(d) Induce similar conditions at the Fort Delaware prison.
4. In the "White Flag Affair," how does Union General Christopher C. Augur convince three Confederates to release his captured Union soldiers?
(a) By holding their fathers hostage.
(b) By threatening to burn their farms.
(c) By holding their wives hostage.
(d) By holding their eldest sons hostage.
5. Who is the presidential nominee for the Democratic party in 1864?
(a) Sidney Cromwell.
(b) John V. L. Pruyn.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) George B. McClellan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which legitimate sailors are sometimes mistaken for blockade-runners?
2. In Chapter 6, which Pro-Lincoln historian is accused of generalizing the prisoners' danger?
3. What is an "arbitrary arrest"?
4. Who opposes refunding Jackson's fine and publishes a pamphlet about martial law threatening slavery?
5. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockade in 1864?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
2. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
3. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
4. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
5. Why is the Banshee declared an agent of the Confederacy?
6. Who is Wes Bogan?
7. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
8. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
9. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
10. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)