|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, which great blockade running port is the last to fall?
(a) Savannah, GA.
(b) North Port, FL.
(c) Wilmington, NC.
(d) Charleston, SC.
2. Which ship captures the Banshee in 1863?
(a) The USS Monitor.
(b) The USS Fulton.
(c) The CSS Alabama.
(d) The CSS Merrimac.
3. How long are military courts allowed to try civilians?
(a) During and after the Civil War.
(b) Before and during the Civil War.
(c) Before, during and after the Civil War.
(d) Only during the Civil War.
4. With what crime is Skipper F. N. Bonneau charged?
5. How does Kenneth A. Bernard attempt to defend Lincoln's character?
(a) The security of the nation is more valuable than civil liberty.
(b) Lincoln is forced to make hard choices.
(c) Lincoln rectifies his mistakes.
(d) Lincoln is protecting America from guerrilla warfare.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who opposes refunding Jackson's fine and publishes a pamphlet about martial law threatening slavery?
2. What could the Wilmot Proviso possibly ban?
3. Who is Wes Bogan?
4. Which famous politician addresses the mistreatment of unpopular minorities in the Lyceum Address?
5. In 1862, which governor arrests 70 "vile secessionists" and essentially keeps these civilians as hostages?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
2. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
3. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
4. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
5. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
6. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
7. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
8. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
9. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
10. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)