|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an "arbitrary arrest"?
(a) An arrest of a suspected military spy.
(b) A government mandated arrest.
(c) An arrest made on political grounds.
(d) An arrest that is made without due cause.
2. Who is Joseph G. Knapp?
(a) The Attorney General from 1883-1886.
(b) The Secretary of War from 1884-1886.
(c) The New Mexico Attorney General during the Civil War.
(d) The New Mexico Associate Justice during the Civil War.
3. Which Democratic supporter gives a speech during the 1864 campaigns claiming that emancipation will make postwar reunion difficult?
(a) Clement Vallandingham.
(b) Horatio Seymour.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) George B. McClellan.
4. Which famous church is raided and looted by Union troops in 1861?
(a) New Hope Church.
(b) Pohick church.
(c) St. Croix.
(d) Ambrose Chapel Church.
5. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
(a) They are deported on the next available ship.
(b) They may serve as legal witnesses, but are not POWs.
(c) They are arrested and considered prisioners of war.
(d) They are allowed to pass with a military escort.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which General orders all blockade runners released in 1864?
2. What is the significance of Ex parte Milligan?
3. In Chapter 8, why is an elderly man charged with violating his oath of allegiance to the Union?
4. What is the Old Capitol prison?
5. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
2. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
3. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
4. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
5. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
6. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
7. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
8. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
9. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
10. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)