|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which famous church is raided and looted by Union troops in 1861?
(a) St. Croix.
(b) Ambrose Chapel Church.
(c) Pohick church.
(d) New Hope Church.
2. Who is Joseph Holt?
(a) Judge Advocate General in 1862.
(b) Secretary of War from 1863-65.
(c) District Attorney of D.C. from 1863-65.
(d) Secretary of State from 1881-1884.
3. Why are no military trials conducted in Delaware during the Civil War?
(a) Delaware is Lincoln's home state.
(b) The state charter expressly forbids martial law.
(c) Deleware is a neutral state.
(d) There is no guerrilla warfare or occupation in Delaware.
4. In Chapter 9, why does the Illinois State Register accept martial law fait accompli?
(a) It has already been established and appears unchangeable.
(b) It has a legal precedent.
(c) To prevent further damage to property or commerce.
(d) The safety of the citizens is more important than liberty.
5. In Chapter 6, which Anti-Lincoln historian is accused of exaggerating partisan abuse and political exploitation?
(a) James McPherson.
(b) Dean Sprague.
(c) Frank Klement.
(d) James G. Randall.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lincoln, whom does the constitution give the power to declare war?
2. According to "American Bastile", how many civilians are illegally detained during the Civil War?
3. Which book does Andrew D. Duff write warnings of the dangerous precedents being set by President Lincoln's actions?
4. What is an "arbitrary arrest"?
5. In 1862, which governor arrests 70 "vile secessionists" and essentially keeps these civilians as hostages?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
2. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
3. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
4. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
5. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
6. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
7. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
8. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockades multiple times during the Civil War?
9. Why is the Banshee declared an agent of the Confederacy?
10. Who is Wes Bogan?
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)