|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "The American Cyclopaedia and Register of Important Events of the Year 1865," how many citizens are denied habeas corpus?
2. Who opposes refunding Jackson's fine and publishes a pamphlet about martial law threatening slavery?
(a) Horace Binney.
(b) Franklin Pierce.
(c) Judge S. S. Nicholas.
(d) Professor Joel Parker.
3. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
(a) His notes and journals have been lost.
(b) The great fire of 1906 destroyed most of the records.
(c) His bureau has been abolished and surviving records are incomplete.
(d) The National Archives will not release the records.
4. Which country continues to import cotton from the South during the Civil War?
(a) Great Britain.
5. Which book does Andrew D. Duff write warnings of the dangerous precedents being set by President Lincoln's actions?
(a) Footprints of Despotism.
(b) The Prisoner of State.
(c) The American Bastile.
(d) Low Tide for Liberty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who authored "Elements of International Law and Laws of War"?
2. How does Maryland protest the military arrest of citizens?
3. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockade in 1864?
4. In Chapter 6, what is the average length of time a Northern arrestee is detained?
5. According to Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study, how many civilian prisoners were detained during the Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
2. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
3. What happens at Pohick Church in 1861?
4. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
5. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
6. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
7. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
8. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
9. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
10. Why is the Union careful to not offend Great Britain?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)