|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who opposes refunding Jackson's fine and publishes a pamphlet about martial law threatening slavery?
(a) Franklin Pierce.
(b) Judge S. S. Nicholas.
(c) Horace Binney.
(d) Professor Joel Parker.
2. To which military and political leader does James Bryce liken President Lincoln?
(a) Andrew Jackson.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(d) Oliver Cromwell.
3. Who is the presidential nominee for the Democratic party in 1864?
(a) Sidney Cromwell.
(b) John V. L. Pruyn.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) George B. McClellan.
4. Which state has the most military trials?
5. What is the significance of Ex parte Milligan?
(a) It reduces the military's power to conduct civilian trials.
(b) It recognizes the effect blockades have on local commerce.
(c) It controls the amount of goods the army can claim.
(d) It sets precedent for military remuneration.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which 20th century historian depicts Lincoln as a merciful humanitarian caught in between preserving the Union and violating civil rights?
2. Which iron side steamship rams the USS Niphon?
3. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
4. In 1862, which governor arrests 70 "vile secessionists" and essentially keeps these civilians as hostages?
5. In Chapter 6, which Pro-Lincoln historian is accused of generalizing the prisoners' danger?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)