|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what is the average length of time a Northern arrestee is detained?
(a) 60 days.
(b) Eight days.
(c) 30 days.
(d) 6 weeks.
2. Why does Skipper F. N. Bonneau identify himself as a commissioned Confederate lieutenant?
(a) To be deported back to the South.
(b) To ensure safe passage through the blockade.
(c) To spare his men.
(d) To gain immunity as a POW.
3. According to John Quincy Adams, what gives Congress the power to abolish slavery?
(a) Its war powers.
(b) Divine law.
(c) The Constitution.
(d) Its legal powers.
4. What is the Old Capitol prison?
(a) A prison for Union deserters.
(b) A place where military tortures were carried out.
(c) A prison for spies and murderers.
(d) A prison for captured Confederates and civilian political prisoners.
5. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockade in 1864?
(a) By pretending to be British.
(b) By pretending to be from Boston.
(c) By pretending to be a Union officer.
(d) By hiding in inlets and traveling at night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which former President is almost arrested for being a Southern sympathizer during the Civil War?
2. How does Maryland protest the military arrest of citizens?
3. How long are military courts allowed to try civilians?
4. Who is John Quincy Adams's political nemesis?
5. According to "American Bastile", how many civilians are illegally detained during the Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
2. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
3. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
4. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
5. Who is Wes Bogan?
6. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
7. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
8. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
9. What happens at Pohick Church in 1861?
10. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)