|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which politician quotes Lord Coke by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed"?
(a) Horatio Seymour.
(b) Clement Vallandingham.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) George B. McClellan.
2. According to the New York Tribune, what percentage of military arrests are unjustified?
(a) 35 percent.
(b) 10 percent.
(c) 50 percent.
(d) 90 percent.
3. What does the War Department do when James Hamilton reveals the horrors he suffered as a hostage?
(a) Burn the bordering farms and villages.
(b) Induce similar conditions at the Fort Delaware prison.
(c) Offer him remuneration.
(d) Attack the Confederate prison and release the Union POWs.
4. Which 20th century historian depicts Lincoln as a merciful humanitarian caught in between preserving the Union and violating civil rights?
(a) James McPherson.
(b) Frank Klement.
(c) Dean Sprague.
(d) James G. Randall.
5. According to Lincoln, what act did President Jefferson commit without having the constitutional power to do so?
(a) War with Mexico.
(b) The Louisiana Purchase.
(c) War with the French.
(d) The Militia Act.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kenneth A. Bernard attempt to defend Lincoln's character?
2. How does Maryland protest the military arrest of citizens?
3. According to President Lincoln, why would many civilian detainees have been in prison even with the right of habeas corpus?
4. What is the significance of Ex parte Milligan?
5. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)