|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "The American Cyclopaedia and Register of Important Events of the Year 1865," how many citizens are denied habeas corpus?
2. Which iron side steamship rams the USS Niphon?
(a) The Ella and Annie.
(b) The USS Constitution.
(c) The CSS Merrimac.
(d) The Steamship Calhoun.
3. Which legitimate sailors are sometimes mistaken for blockade-runners?
(a) Crab fishers.
(b) Canadian sailors.
(c) Union naval sailors.
(d) Licensed oystermen.
4. In Chapter 6, what are the primary reasons for most arrests of Northern citizens?
(a) Freedom of speech and civil liberty issues.
(b) Theft and looting.
(c) White collar crimes.
(d) Contraband trading, desertion, and draft dodging.
5. Who is Joseph G. Knapp?
(a) The Secretary of War from 1884-1886.
(b) The Attorney General from 1883-1886.
(c) The New Mexico Attorney General during the Civil War.
(d) The New Mexico Associate Justice during the Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "American Bastile", how many civilians are illegally detained during the Civil War?
2. How does General Grant propose to exchange civilian hostages?
3. What is the significance of Ex parte Milligan?
4. In Chapter 6, which Anti-Lincoln historian is accused of exaggerating partisan abuse and political exploitation?
5. Who is Joseph Holt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
2. Why is the Union careful to not offend Great Britain?
3. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
4. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
5. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockades multiple times during the Civil War?
6. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
7. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
8. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
9. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
10. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)