|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which famous church is raided and looted by Union troops in 1861?
(a) New Hope Church.
(b) St. Croix.
(c) Ambrose Chapel Church.
(d) Pohick church.
2. According to Lincoln, whom does the constitution give the power to declare war?
(b) The Commander in Chief of the U.S. armed forces.
(c) The people.
(d) The President.
3. Who renders the final verdict in Ex parte Milligan?
(a) The Union Military Commission.
(b) President Lincoln.
(c) Edward Bates.
(d) The Supreme Court.
4. Why are no military trials conducted in Delaware during the Civil War?
(a) The state charter expressly forbids martial law.
(b) Delaware is Lincoln's home state.
(c) There is no guerrilla warfare or occupation in Delaware.
(d) Deleware is a neutral state.
5. Who is the presidential nominee for the Democratic party in 1864?
(a) George B. McClellan.
(b) John V. L. Pruyn.
(c) Sidney Cromwell.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joseph G. Knapp?
2. According to Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study, how many civilian prisoners were detained during the Civil War?
3. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
4. Which 20th century historian depicts Lincoln as a merciful humanitarian caught in between preserving the Union and violating civil rights?
5. In Chapter 6, what is the average length of time a Northern arrestee is detained?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
2. What happens at Pohick Church in 1861?
3. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
4. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
5. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
6. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
7. Who is Wes Bogan?
8. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockades multiple times during the Civil War?
9. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
10. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)