|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to John Quincy Adams, what gives Congress the power to abolish slavery?
(a) Its legal powers.
(b) Its war powers.
(c) Divine law.
(d) The Constitution.
2. According to Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study, how many civilian prisoners were detained during the Civil War?
3. Which legitimate sailors are sometimes mistaken for blockade-runners?
(a) Canadian sailors.
(b) Union naval sailors.
(c) Crab fishers.
(d) Licensed oystermen.
4. To which military and political leader does James Bryce liken President Lincoln?
(a) Oliver Cromwell.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
5. Which General orders all blockade runners released in 1864?
(a) Edward Bates.
(b) William T. Sherman.
(c) Ulysses S. Grant.
(d) John A. Dix.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Democratic supporter gives a speech during the 1864 campaigns claiming that emancipation will make postwar reunion difficult?
2. What is an "arbitrary arrest"?
3. Which ship captures the Banshee in 1863?
4. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
5. In the "White Flag Affair," how does Union General Christopher C. Augur convince three Confederates to release his captured Union soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Banshee declared an agent of the Confederacy?
2. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
3. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
4. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
5. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
6. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
7. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
8. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
9. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
10. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)