|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who runs against Lincoln in the 1864 election?
(a) Sidney Cromwell.
(b) George B. McClellan.
(c) John V. L. Pruyn.
(d) Clement Vallandingham.
2. According to Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study, how many civilian prisoners were detained during the Civil War?
3. In Chapter 6, what are the primary reasons for most arrests of Northern citizens?
(a) Contraband trading, desertion, and draft dodging.
(b) Theft and looting.
(c) White collar crimes.
(d) Freedom of speech and civil liberty issues.
4. What does the War Department do when James Hamilton reveals the horrors he suffered as a hostage?
(a) Burn the bordering farms and villages.
(b) Induce similar conditions at the Fort Delaware prison.
(c) Attack the Confederate prison and release the Union POWs.
(d) Offer him remuneration.
5. How does General Grant propose to exchange civilian hostages?
(a) In a designated neutral town.
(b) By social class.
(c) By gender, then age.
(d) By age.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which iron side steamship rams the USS Niphon?
2. In Chapter 9, why does the Illinois State Register accept martial law fait accompli?
3. Which famous church is raided and looted by Union troops in 1861?
4. According to "American Bastile", how many civilians are illegally detained during the Civil War?
5. Who is Joseph G. Knapp?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
2. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
3. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
4. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
5. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockades multiple times during the Civil War?
6. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
7. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
8. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
9. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
10. Who is Wes Bogan?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)