|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which legitimate sailors are sometimes mistaken for blockade-runners?
(a) Canadian sailors.
(b) Crab fishers.
(c) Union naval sailors.
(d) Licensed oystermen.
2. What concerns does Joseph Holt have about rebel defectors who are found behind Union lines?
(a) They might be spies or messengers.
(b) They might escape and pass valuable information to the enemy.
(c) They might carry disease.
(d) They are too expensive to keep properly.
3. Who is Joseph G. Knapp?
(a) The Secretary of War from 1884-1886.
(b) The Attorney General from 1883-1886.
(c) The New Mexico Associate Justice during the Civil War.
(d) The New Mexico Attorney General during the Civil War.
4. In Chapter 6, what is the average length of time a Northern arrestee is detained?
(a) 60 days.
(b) Eight days.
(c) 30 days.
(d) 6 weeks.
5. In Chapter 9, what does Andrew D. Duff predict President Lincoln will not allow in November of 1864?
(c) Public assemblies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
2. Why does President Lincoln pardon Wes Brogan?
3. According to "American Bastile", how many civilians are illegally detained during the Civil War?
4. As a congressman in 1848, why doesn't Lincoln want to wait for a constitutional amendment?
5. In Chapter 9, which congressman's arrest sparks rallies among his supporters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockades multiple times during the Civil War?
2. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
3. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
4. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
5. What is the purpose of James G. Randall's book, "Constitutional Problems under Lincoln"?
6. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
7. Who is Wes Bogan?
8. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
9. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
10. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)