|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the author have difficulty confirming civilian arrest records?
(a) Many records are still sealed.
(b) Some records are missing, damaged or mixed with POW data.
(c) Many civillian arrest records were destroyed after the war.
(d) The National Archive will not release military arrest records.
2. Which General orders all blockade runners released in 1864?
(a) John A. Dix.
(b) Edward Bates.
(c) Ulysses S. Grant.
(d) William T. Sherman.
3. Which politician quotes Lord Coke by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed"?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Clement Vallandingham.
(c) George B. McClellan.
(d) Horatio Seymour.
4. According to Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study, how many civilian prisoners were detained during the Civil War?
5. Who opposes refunding Jackson's fine and publishes a pamphlet about martial law threatening slavery?
(a) Professor Joel Parker.
(b) Judge S. S. Nicholas.
(c) Franklin Pierce.
(d) Horace Binney.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous politician addresses the mistreatment of unpopular minorities in the Lyceum Address?
2. According to the New York Tribune, what percentage of military arrests are unjustified?
3. Why does Skipper F. N. Bonneau identify himself as a commissioned Confederate lieutenant?
4. Which country continues to import cotton from the South during the Civil War?
5. Who is John Quincy Adams's political nemesis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
2. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
3. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
4. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
5. Describe the Dred Scott decision.
6. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
7. How does the Mexican-American War influence Lincoln's perception of Constitutional issues?
8. How does Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
9. What happens at Pohick Church in 1861?
10. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)