|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which pioneer political scientist drafts War Department General Order No. 100, specifying that hostages be treated as POWs?
(a) Henry W. Halleck.
(b) Joel H. Silbey.
(c) Francis Lieber.
(d) James McPherson.
2. According to Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study, how many civilian prisoners were detained during the Civil War?
3. In Chapter 8, which person in America has the final say on all verdicts during the Civil War, particularly death sentences?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) Edwin M. Stanton.
(c) Edward Bates.
(d) William H. Seward.
4. In Chapter 6, which Anti-Lincoln historian is accused of exaggerating partisan abuse and political exploitation?
(a) James McPherson.
(b) Frank Klement.
(c) James G. Randall.
(d) Dean Sprague.
5. What complaint does Joseph G. Knapp send to Edward Bates in Chapter 8?
(a) The Union army is taking advantage of the Martial Law Act.
(b) The New Mexico military is misusing the habeas corpus order.
(c) The New Mexico military is misusing the Militia Act.
(d) The Union army is taking advantage of the Writ Act.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does James G. Randall write that criticizes Lincoln's habeas corpus policy?
2. According to President Lincoln, why would many civilian detainees have been in prison even with the right of habeas corpus?
3. What concerns does Joseph Holt have about rebel defectors who are found behind Union lines?
4. How long are military courts allowed to try civilians?
5. According to "The American Cyclopaedia and Register of Important Events of the Year 1865," how many citizens are denied habeas corpus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
2. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
3. Why is the Union careful to not offend Great Britain?
4. Describe Ex parte Milligan.
5. Why is the Banshee declared an agent of the Confederacy?
6. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
7. How does the Confederate Captain John Wilkinson slip through the blockades multiple times during the Civil War?
8. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
9. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
10. What happens at Pohick Church in 1861?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)