|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who opposes refunding Jackson's fine and publishes a pamphlet about martial law threatening slavery?
(a) Franklin Pierce.
(b) Professor Joel Parker.
(c) Horace Binney.
(d) Judge S. S. Nicholas.
2. Which famous politician addresses the mistreatment of unpopular minorities in the Lyceum Address?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) John Quincy Adams.
(d) George B. McClellan.
3. With what crime is Skipper F. N. Bonneau charged?
4. According to Lincoln, whom does the constitution give the power to declare war?
(a) The people.
(b) The Commander in Chief of the U.S. armed forces.
(c) The President.
5. Which ship captures the Banshee in 1863?
(a) The USS Fulton.
(b) The USS Monitor.
(c) The CSS Alabama.
(d) The CSS Merrimac.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are military courts allowed to try civilians?
2. How does the crew of the Banshee avoid arrest?
3. Which state has the most military trials?
4. According to President Lincoln, why would many civilian detainees have been in prison even with the right of habeas corpus?
5. Which former President is almost arrested for being a Southern sympathizer during the Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Banshee declared an agent of the Confederacy?
2. Why does Horatio Seymour quote Lord Coke, by saying, "Where courts of law are open, martial law cannot be executed?"
3. Describe the Dred Scott decision.
4. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
5. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
6. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
7. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
8. Who is Wes Bogan?
9. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
10. Why does James Bryce liken President Lincoln to Oliver Cromwell?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)