|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which iron side steamship rams the USS Niphon?
(a) The CSS Merrimac.
(b) The USS Constitution.
(c) The Ella and Annie.
(d) The Steamship Calhoun.
2. Which ship captures the Banshee in 1863?
(a) The CSS Alabama.
(b) The USS Monitor.
(c) The CSS Merrimac.
(d) The USS Fulton.
3. What is the significance of Ex parte Milligan?
(a) It recognizes the effect blockades have on local commerce.
(b) It sets precedent for military remuneration.
(c) It reduces the military's power to conduct civilian trials.
(d) It controls the amount of goods the army can claim.
4. Which famous politician addresses the mistreatment of unpopular minorities in the Lyceum Address?
(a) George B. McClellan.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) John Quincy Adams.
5. How does Maryland protest the military arrest of citizens?
(a) By marching a group of women and children to the White House.
(b) With satirical songs and pamphlets.
(c) By destroying railroads.
(d) By burning bridges.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which state has the most military trials?
2. In Chapter 8, why is an elderly man charged with violating his oath of allegiance to the Union?
3. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
4. According to "The American Cyclopaedia and Register of Important Events of the Year 1865," how many citizens are denied habeas corpus?
5. In 1862, which governor arrests 70 "vile secessionists" and essentially keeps these civilians as hostages?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)