|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which military and political leader does James Bryce liken President Lincoln?
(a) Oliver Cromwell.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
2. What complaint does Joseph G. Knapp send to Edward Bates in Chapter 8?
(a) The New Mexico military is misusing the habeas corpus order.
(b) The Union army is taking advantage of the Writ Act.
(c) The New Mexico military is misusing the Militia Act.
(d) The Union army is taking advantage of the Martial Law Act.
3. Which state has the most military trials?
4. Which iron side steamship rams the USS Niphon?
(a) The CSS Merrimac.
(b) The Steamship Calhoun.
(c) The Ella and Annie.
(d) The USS Constitution.
5. Why do the consequences of the Emancipation Proclamation concern Lincoln more than the reactions to the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus?
(a) Commerce is more important than civil liberties.
(b) The burden on the economy is too great.
(c) The effects of the emancipation are permanent.
(d) Trade with other countries will suffer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the War Department do when James Hamilton reveals the horrors he suffered as a hostage?
2. According to "The American Cyclopaedia and Register of Important Events of the Year 1865," how many citizens are denied habeas corpus?
3. What is the significance of Ex parte Milligan?
4. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
5. In Chapter 6, which Anti-Lincoln historian is accused of exaggerating partisan abuse and political exploitation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dean Sprague depict Lincoln's character?
2. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
3. Why is the Banshee declared an agent of the Confederacy?
4. What concerns do Union officials have about rebel defectors who claim to be seeking asylum in the Union?
5. What is the "White Flag Affair?"
6. Why are modern historians unable to replicate or confirm Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study?
7. Why are there several discrepancies among the reported number of civilians arrested during the Civil War?
8. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
9. Why does Joseph G. Knapp complain to Edward Bates?
10. Who is Wes Bogan?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)