|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which group of Americans is excluded from Grant's order in Chapter 4?
2. What do William Seward and George McClelland approve in Chapter 1?
(a) An attack plan for Missouri.
(b) A list of Confederate supporters.
(c) A collection of international civil liberty laws.
(d) A list of Maryland lawmakers who may be arrested.
3. Whom does the Secretary of the Navy blame for the hoax published in the New York "World" and the "Journal of Commerce"?
(a) Oliver Cromwell.
(b) Charles Dana.
(c) Hamilton Easter.
(d) Frank A. Mallison.
4. In Chapter 5, what do some of the men that Watson has arrested offer Charles Dana?
(a) The location of Confederate forces.
(b) A bribe to free them and return their files.
(c) Alcohol for Union troops.
(d) A chance to learn the names of Confederate spies.
5. Why does William Seward feel it necessary to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
(a) To silence political dissenters.
(b) To undermine any potential assassination plots.
(c) To preserve the organization and morale of national forces.
(d) In order to allow the arrest of Confederate spies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Henry W. Halleck?
2. Why are judges still issuing writs of habeas corpus in Chapter 3?
3. How do the Confederates plan on reacting to Grant's order in Chapter 4?
4. Why does Joseph Griffin sue Captain Frank Wilcox for false imprisonment?
5. In 1864, what bogus presidential proclamation is published in the New York "World" and the "Journal of Commerce"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lincoln's decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus divide politicians in 1861?
2. Why does the War Department seize John N. Eitel in 1865?
3. What is the purpose of John A. Marshall's book, "The American Bastile"?
4. How does the War Department combat corruption during the Civil War?
5. What is the result of Joseph Griffin's suit against Captain Frank Wilcox?
6. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
7. Describe the purpose of the Habeas Corpus Act.
8. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
9. What controversy arises between Peter H. Watson and a Union Senator in Chapter 5?
10. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)