|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Assistant Judge William M. Merrick in Chapter 1?
(a) He is arrested and jailed for the duration of the war.
(b) He is put under surveillance and loses his salary.
(c) He is shot while giving a public speech.
(d) He is executed for treason.
2. How does Dennis A. Mahony secure his release?
(a) His lawyer threatens to take the Union general to court.
(b) He bribes the warden.
(c) He swears an oath of loyalty to the Union.
(d) He writes and publishes articles about prision life.
3. When does Lincoln suspend the writ of habeas corpus in Missouri?
(a) After a potential assassination plot is uncovered.
(b) After local commanders suspend civil liberties.
(c) After Confederate spies are found hiding in the capital courthouse.
(d) After mobs riot in the streets of Jefferson City.
4. What decision does General John C. Frymont make about Joseph Aubuchon?
(a) He orders Aubuchon's execution.
(b) He overturns Aubuchon's conviction.
(c) He arrests Aubuchon for interfering in military trials.
(d) He upholds Aubuchon's conviction.
5. Which two bills does Congress pass on March 3, 1863?
(a) The Enrollment Act and the Militia Act.
(b) The Writ Act and the Militia Act.
(c) The Emancipation Proclamation and General Order 100.
(d) The Habeas Corpus Act and the Enrollment Act.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Lincoln turn to for advice when Baltimore mobs burn railroad bridges?
2. Who intervenes on John Eitel's behalf?
3. What orders does President Lincoln give General Benjamin F. Butler and General-in-Chief Winfield Scott in Chapter 1?
4. Which famous case will refer to Samuel Perkins' arguments in 1966?
5. Who is nicknamed the "Beast of New Orleans"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Militia Act of 1862.
2. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
3. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
4. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
5. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
6. Why is Dennis A. Mahony arrested?
7. How are military commissions used during the Civil War?
8. How does Lincoln's decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus divide politicians in 1861?
9. Describe Henry W. Halleck.
10. How is guerrilla warfare used in the Civil War?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)