|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does the Secretary of the Navy blame for the hoax published in the New York "World" and the "Journal of Commerce"?
(a) Charles Dana.
(b) Oliver Cromwell.
(c) Hamilton Easter.
(d) Frank A. Mallison.
2. What type of state is Missouri described as being in Chapter 2?
(a) A rebellious state.
(b) A Confederate state.
(c) A loyal state.
(d) A neutral state.
3. What form of torture is commonly accepted among the administration during the Civil War?
(a) Water torture.
(b) Public lashing.
(c) Public stocks.
4. What concerns do Union commanders have about Confederate deserters?
(a) They might be spies.
(b) They might spread disease.
(c) They may damage the morale of Union soldiers.
(d) They are setting a bad example for Union soldiers.
5. Why is Nathaniel Bachelder arrested in Chapter 3?
(a) For selling alcohol to Union troops.
(b) For raising forces for the Confederacy.
(c) For warning recruits they will go to hell.
(d) For bringing illegal goods across picket lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous case will refer to Samuel Perkins' arguments in 1966?
2. What book does Dennis A. Mahony write after his release?
3. What nickname is given to President Lincoln?
4. Who intervenes on Abraham Friedenreich's behalf?
5. What precedent is set in Joseph Griffin's case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Wes Bogan?
2. How does the War Department combat corruption during the Civil War?
3. Why does Lincoln admire Andrew Jackson?
4. Why does the War Department seize John N. Eitel in 1865?
5. How are Jews treated by the Union in Chapter 5?
6. How does Lincoln's decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus divide politicians in 1861?
7. Describe President Lincoln's letter to Erastus Corning.
8. Why is the Banshee declared an agent of the Confederacy?
9. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
10. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)