|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Dennis A. Mahony arrested in Chapter 3?
(a) For bringing illegal goods across picket lines.
(b) For discouraging enlistments.
(c) For selling alcohol to Union troops.
(d) For breaking up a recruitment rally.
2. What does Provost Marshal General Bernard G. Farrar declare in light of General Paine's arrests in Chapter 2?
(a) Due process is a privilege, not a right.
(b) Non-military personnel are subject to military law during war.
(c) Due process is a constitutional and moral right.
(d) Property does not exist in the absence of law.
3. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
(a) 237 civillians from Missouri are executed by Union soldiers.
(b) Military execution of civilian spies is abolished.
(c) 13,433 citizens of Missouri are arrested by Union forces.
(d) 20,000 citizens are banished from the state of Missouri.
4. Which two bills does Congress pass on March 3, 1863?
(a) The Emancipation Proclamation and General Order 100.
(b) The Habeas Corpus Act and the Enrollment Act.
(c) The Enrollment Act and the Militia Act.
(d) The Writ Act and the Militia Act.
5. How does Dennis A. Mahony secure his release?
(a) He bribes the warden.
(b) He swears an oath of loyalty to the Union.
(c) He writes and publishes articles about prision life.
(d) His lawyer threatens to take the Union general to court.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which unpopular bill does Congress pass on July 17, 1862?
2. Who is Samuel E. Perkins?
3. Who intervenes on John Eitel's behalf?
4. What happens to Assistant Judge William M. Merrick in Chapter 1?
5. Which former U.S. President does Lincoln admire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is guerrilla warfare used in the Civil War?
2. Why does Lincoln suspend the writ of habeas corpus of rail routes from Philadelphia to Washington in April of 1861?
3. How are Jews treated by the Union in Chapter 5?
4. Describe Henry W. Halleck.
5. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
6. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
7. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
8. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
9. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
10. How is the press used by the Confederate supporters in 1864 to create panic in New York?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)