|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
(a) For bringing illegal goods across picket lines.
(b) For exercising freedom of expression.
(c) For selling alcohol to Union troops.
(d) For burning a bridge into St. Louis.
2. In Chapter 5, what do some of the men that Watson has arrested offer Charles Dana?
(a) A chance to learn the names of Confederate spies.
(b) A bribe to free them and return their files.
(c) Alcohol for Union troops.
(d) The location of Confederate forces.
3. What type of state is Missouri described as being in Chapter 2?
(a) A rebellious state.
(b) A neutral state.
(c) A loyal state.
(d) A Confederate state.
4. What precedent is set in Joseph Griffin's case?
(a) Suspected sympathizers have no rights.
(b) The suspension of habeas corpus legalizes military arrest.
(c) Financial remuneration must be given to private citizens.
(d) The suspension of habeas corpus does not legalize wrongful arrest.
5. How does Lincoln justify the suppression of such constitutional rights such as freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and habeas corpus?
(a) Rebels are using these rights to aid their rebellion.
(b) The country must temporarily give up freedom for safety.
(c) Spies could damage the commerce of the Union.
(d) Such rights are earned, not given.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clement L. Vallandigham's arrest cause widespread Democratic protests?
2. Which fraudulent company's office does the War Department raid in 1864?
3. According to Lincoln, why are multiple arrests made in Maryland in Chapter 1?
4. In Chapter 2, on what charge are civilians who burn bridges typically tried?
5. What happens to Assistant Judge William M. Merrick in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
2. How do Union officials react to reports of torture from prisoners of war?
3. Describe the Militia Act of 1862.
4. Why does Lincoln admire Andrew Jackson?
5. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
6. Why do mobs from Baltimore burn bridges in 1861?
7. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
8. Why does the War Department seize John N. Eitel in 1865?
9. How are military commissions used during the Civil War?
10. How does Lincoln's decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus divide politicians in 1861?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)