|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do mobs burn railroad bridges in Chapter 1?
(a) To prevent troops from passing through to Washington, DC.
(b) To prevent goods from being sent South.
(c) To prevent goods from being sent North.
(d) To protest an increase on cotton tax.
2. Who is Henry W. Halleck?
(a) A St. Louis attorney representing the rights of local citizens.
(b) The editor and owner of the St. Louis "State Journal."
(c) A St. Louis Justice and rival to General John C. Frymont.
(d) General John C. Frymont's replacement.
3. What type of state is Missouri described as being in Chapter 2?
(a) A neutral state.
(b) A rebellious state.
(c) A Confederate state.
(d) A loyal state.
4. Which former U.S. President does Lincoln admire?
(a) James Buchanan.
(b) Millard Fillmore.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
5. What does Provost Marshal General Bernard G. Farrar declare in light of General Paine's arrests in Chapter 2?
(a) Property does not exist in the absence of law.
(b) Due process is a privilege, not a right.
(c) Due process is a constitutional and moral right.
(d) Non-military personnel are subject to military law during war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Samuel E. Perkins do in Chapter 4?
2. What are the most common reasons for civilian arrest between 1863 and 1864?
3. What decision does Lincoln make on April 27, 1861?
4. How do Union Generals treat civilians who sell alcohol to their soldiers?
5. What do William Seward and George McClelland approve in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lincoln suspend the writ of habeas corpus of rail routes from Philadelphia to Washington in April of 1861?
2. What controversy arises between Peter H. Watson and a Union Senator in Chapter 5?
3. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
4. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
5. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
6. Describe Henry W. Halleck.
7. How are Jews treated by the Union in Chapter 5?
8. How are military commissions used during the Civil War?
9. Describe the purpose of the Habeas Corpus Act.
10. Why does Lincoln admire Andrew Jackson?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)