|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are judges still issuing writs of habeas corpus in Chapter 3?
(a) They are waiting on a statement from the Supreme Court.
(b) They are sympathetic to the Confederacy.
(c) Broken rail lines have delayed official information.
(d) Lincoln has yet to publicize his suspension of habeas corpus.
2. What orders does President Lincoln give General Benjamin F. Butler and General-in-Chief Winfield Scott in Chapter 1?
(a) Attack on sight.
(b) Free those in chains, chain those who fight.
(c) Watch, wait and be ready to respond.
(d) Arrest any who resist.
3. How do Union Generals treat civilians who sell alcohol to their soldiers?
(a) Confiscate all their liquor.
(b) Hang them.
(c) Jail them for 30-60 days.
(d) Place them in public stocks for 24 hours.
4. Who is Hamilton Easter?
(a) A grocer arrested for bringing illegal goods across picket lines.
(b) A wealthy businessman arrested for blockade running.
(c) A Confederate spy.
(d) A slave who sues for his freedom.
5. Who sets John Eitel's bail in Chapter 5?
(a) Ulysses S. Grant.
(b) Charles A. Dana.
(c) Edwin M. Stanton.
(d) President Lincoln.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Prisoners of State?
2. Which unpopular bill does Congress pass on July 17, 1862?
3. Why is district attorney Ezra B. Chase arrested in Chapter 3?
4. Which former U.S. President does Lincoln admire?
5. How are disloyal citizens tried in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
2. What is the purpose of John A. Marshall's book, "The American Bastile"?
3. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
4. How does the War Department combat corruption during the Civil War?
5. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
6. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
7. Why is Dennis A. Mahony arrested?
8. Why does Lincoln suspend the writ of habeas corpus of rail routes from Philadelphia to Washington in April of 1861?
9. What is the result of Joseph Griffin's suit against Captain Frank Wilcox?
10. How is the scorched earth policy used during the Civil War?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)