|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the War Department arrest John N. Eitel in 1865?
(a) For running good through blockades.
(b) For brokering Army enlistments.
(c) For exercising freedom of expression.
(d) For bringing illegal goods across picket lines.
2. What book does Dennis A. Mahony write after his release?
(a) Low Tide for Liberty.
(b) The American Bastile.
(c) The Merryman.
(d) The Prisoner of State.
3. What decision does Lincoln make on April 27, 1861?
(a) He decides to send troops into the South.
(b) He makes plans to reunite America.
(c) He announces the Emancipation Proclamation.
(d) He suspends writ of habeas corpus on rail routes from Philadelphia to Washington.
4. What war time legal practice is revived due to the rise of guerilla warfare in America?
(b) Seizure of property.
(c) Execution squads.
(d) Military commissions.
5. What does General John C. Frymont do in Chapter 2?
(a) Arrest 143 rioters in the city of St. Louis.
(b) Close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law.
(c) Shoot citizens in a St. Louis mob.
(d) Close the New Orleans "State Journal" and declare martial law.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, to what charge do civilians who burn bridges typically plead guilty?
2. Which former President is nearly arrested in Chapter 1?
3. What nickname is given to President Lincoln?
4. What form of torture is commonly accepted among the administration during the Civil War?
5. Which group of Americans is excluded from Grant's order in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the scorched earth policy used during the Civil War?
2. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
3. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
4. What is the result of Joseph Griffin's suit against Captain Frank Wilcox?
5. Describe the purpose of the Habeas Corpus Act.
6. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
7. How is guerrilla warfare used in the Civil War?
8. Why must President Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus to Congress?
9. How are Jews treated by the Union in Chapter 5?
10. How is the press used by the Confederate supporters in 1864 to create panic in New York?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)