Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles confide in his diary?
(a) He never feared revolt from Northern citizens.
(b) He is concerned about the impact of paid servants on the economy.
(c) He fears the Confederacy might win.
(d) He is terrified of revolt from Northern facotry workers.
2. Whom does Lincoln turn to for advice when Baltimore mobs burn railroad bridges?
(a) Edward Bates.
(b) William H. Seward.
(c) Ulysses S. Grant.
(d) Edwin M. Stanton.
3. Who intervenes on John Eitel's behalf?
(a) James Buchanan.
(b) Charles A. Dana.
(c) President Lincoln.
(d) Millard Fillmore.
4. What are the most common reasons for civilian arrest between 1863 and 1864?
(a) Stealing food and supplies from the Union forces.
(b) Publishing anti-Union articles.
(c) Evading the draft.
(d) Blockade running and smuggling.
5. Who is nicknamed the "Beast of New Orleans"?
(a) Joseph Griffin.
(b) Benjamin F. Butler.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Samuel E. Perkins.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does President Lincoln have to explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
2. Who is Edmund J. Ellis?
3. Which former U.S. President does Lincoln admire?
4. What is the Militia Act designed to prevent?
5. When does Lincoln suspend the writ of habeas corpus in Missouri?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
2. How does the USS Niphon capture the Ella and Annie?
3. How do Union officials react to reports of torture from prisoners of war?
4. Why is the Union careful to not offend Great Britain?
5. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
6. Who is Wes Bogan?
7. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
8. According to the laws of war, what happens to neutral crewmen when a neutral ship is confiscated?
9. How are pamphlets used by Democrats during the Civil War?
10. How is the press used by the Confederate supporters in 1864 to create panic in New York?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)