|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Union Generals treat civilians who sell alcohol to their soldiers?
(a) Hang them.
(b) Confiscate all their liquor.
(c) Place them in public stocks for 24 hours.
(d) Jail them for 30-60 days.
2. Which book of John A. Marshall's is well read among Lincoln's critics?
(a) The Prisoner of State.
(b) The Merryman.
(c) Low Tide for Liberty.
(d) The American Bastile.
3. Why do mobs burn railroad bridges in Chapter 1?
(a) To protest an increase on cotton tax.
(b) To prevent troops from passing through to Washington, DC.
(c) To prevent goods from being sent North.
(d) To prevent goods from being sent South.
4. In Chapter 5, why does the Union Army close down nine firms and arrest 97 employees and owners?
(a) For selling alcohol to Union troops.
(b) For brokering Army enlistments.
(c) For bringing illegal goods across picket lines.
(d) For running good through blockades.
5. What does Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles confide in his diary?
(a) He fears the Confederacy might win.
(b) He never feared revolt from Northern citizens.
(c) He is terrified of revolt from Northern facotry workers.
(d) He is concerned about the impact of paid servants on the economy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
2. Which group of Americans is excluded from Grant's order in Chapter 4?
3. According to William Seward, which law is higher than the Constitution?
4. What decision does General John C. Frymont make about Joseph Aubuchon?
5. Which former U.S. President does Lincoln admire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Jews treated by the Union in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Lincoln admire Andrew Jackson?
3. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
4. How does General Grant respond to the guerrilla tactics of John Singleton Mosby?
5. What is the purpose of John A. Marshall's book, "The American Bastile"?
6. What controversy arises between Peter H. Watson and a Union Senator in Chapter 5?
7. How is the press used by the Confederate supporters in 1864 to create panic in New York?
8. How is the scorched earth policy used during the Civil War?
9. How is guerrilla warfare used in the Civil War?
10. How does the War Department combat corruption during the Civil War?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)