|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which fraudulent company's office does the War Department raid in 1864?
(a) Bell South.
(b) Bell & Green.
(c) Green Brothers, Inc.
(d) John Deere.
2. Who is Edwin M. Stanton?
(a) Lincoln's Secretary of State.
(b) Lincoln's Secretary of War.
(c) The Attorney General.
(d) A Brigadier General of the Union Army.
3. Why does the War Department arrest telegraphers in four major cities in 1864?
(a) They are suspected Confederate sympathizers.
(b) They fear the telegraph system has been compromised.
(c) They are telegraphing Union secrets across Confederate lines.
(d) They refuse to telegraph a false message from the White House.
4. Why is Chauncey Burr arrested in Chapter 3?
(a) For warning recruits they will go to hell.
(b) For breaking up a recruitment rally.
(c) For bringing illegal goods across picket lines.
(d) For advising people to demand a peaceful settlement at the polls.
5. How many civilian arrests does William Seward preside over in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does General John C. Frymont do in Chapter 2?
2. What precedent is set in Joseph Griffin's case?
3. How does Lincoln justify the suppression of such constitutional rights such as freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and habeas corpus?
4. Why does Joseph Griffin sue Captain Frank Wilcox for false imprisonment?
5. How are Confederate deserters often treated by Union troops in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the press used by the Confederate supporters in 1864 to create panic in New York?
2. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
3. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
4. Why does Lincoln suspend the writ of habeas corpus of rail routes from Philadelphia to Washington in April of 1861?
5. What is the purpose of John A. Marshall's book, "The American Bastile"?
6. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
7. Why must President Lincoln explain his decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus to Congress?
8. What controversy arises between Peter H. Watson and a Union Senator in Chapter 5?
9. How are Jews treated by the Union in Chapter 5?
10. Why does the War Department seize John N. Eitel in 1865?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)