|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of warfare does John Singleton Mosby employ?
(a) Jacksonian warfare.
(b) Maneuver warfare.
(c) Guerrilla tactics.
(d) Attrition warfare.
2. Why are judges still issuing writs of habeas corpus in Chapter 3?
(a) They are waiting on a statement from the Supreme Court.
(b) Broken rail lines have delayed official information.
(c) Lincoln has yet to publicize his suspension of habeas corpus.
(d) They are sympathetic to the Confederacy.
3. What nickname is given to President Lincoln?
(a) Honest Abe.
(b) Old Black Soot.
(c) The Writ Rewriter.
(d) The Beast of New Orleans.
4. Who intervenes on John Eitel's behalf?
(a) Charles A. Dana.
(b) James Buchanan.
(c) Millard Fillmore.
(d) President Lincoln.
5. How does Ulysses S. Grant respond to General Paine's decision to arrest 100 citizens?
(a) He sends a report of Paine's actions to President Lincoln.
(b) He orders the immediate release of all non-military personnel.
(c) He insists the citizens be given due process.
(d) He applauds Paine's actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the most common reasons for civilian arrest between 1863 and 1864?
2. What form of torture is commonly accepted among the administration during the Civil War?
3. What does Peter H. Watson oversee in Chapter 5?
4. How many civilian arrests does William Seward preside over in Chapter 1?
5. Which bill, passed in 1863, removes the cracks between military and civilian justice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the War Department combat corruption during the Civil War?
2. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
3. How do Union officials react to reports of torture from prisoners of war?
4. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
5. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
6. What controversy arises between Peter H. Watson and a Union Senator in Chapter 5?
7. Describe Henry W. Halleck.
8. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
9. How does General Grant respond to the guerrilla tactics of John Singleton Mosby?
10. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)