|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Lincoln turn to for advice when Baltimore mobs burn railroad bridges?
(a) Edwin M. Stanton.
(b) William H. Seward.
(c) Edward Bates.
(d) Ulysses S. Grant.
2. What is the verdict in Joseph Griffin's case?
(a) Captain Wilcox does have the right to arrest Mr. Griffin.
(b) Mr. Griffin is awarded damages equaling the cost of his inventory.
(c) Captain Wilcox does not have the right to arrest Mr. Griffin.
(d) Mr. Griffin is jailed for being a Confederate sympathizer.
3. How are Confederate deserters often treated by Union troops in Chapter 4?
(a) They swear an oath of loyalty and are released.
(b) They are executed.
(c) They are interrogated, and then sent to Canada.
(d) They are sent to POW camps.
4. Why are judges still issuing writs of habeas corpus in Chapter 3?
(a) Lincoln has yet to publicize his suspension of habeas corpus.
(b) They are sympathetic to the Confederacy.
(c) Broken rail lines have delayed official information.
(d) They are waiting on a statement from the Supreme Court.
5. Which former U.S. President does Lincoln admire?
(a) James Buchanan.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Millard Fillmore.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the military strategy which orders the complete destruction of enemy property or resources?
2. Who are the Prisoners of State?
3. In Chapter 2, on what charge are civilians who burn bridges typically tried?
4. What is the Militia Act designed to prevent?
5. In 1864, what bogus presidential proclamation is published in the New York "World" and the "Journal of Commerce"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do mobs from Baltimore burn bridges in 1861?
2. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
3. What is the result of Joseph Griffin's suit against Captain Frank Wilcox?
4. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
5. Why is Dennis A. Mahony arrested?
6. How does General Grant respond to the guerrilla tactics of John Singleton Mosby?
7. What controversy arises between Peter H. Watson and a Union Senator in Chapter 5?
8. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
9. Describe Henry W. Halleck.
10. How are Jews treated by the Union in Chapter 5?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)