|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the verdict in Joseph Griffin's case?
(a) Captain Wilcox does have the right to arrest Mr. Griffin.
(b) Mr. Griffin is awarded damages equaling the cost of his inventory.
(c) Captain Wilcox does not have the right to arrest Mr. Griffin.
(d) Mr. Griffin is jailed for being a Confederate sympathizer.
2. What unusual qualities does Henry W. Halleck have in a leader?
(a) He has a natural charisma that attracts all voters.
(b) He is well read, intelligent and also has great physical strength.
(c) He speaks both the language of the law and the language of the people.
(d) He has written about international law and observes legal niceties.
3. After what battle do arrests of Southern citizens begin to decline?
4. Who is Edwin M. Stanton?
(a) The Attorney General.
(b) Lincoln's Secretary of State.
(c) Lincoln's Secretary of War.
(d) A Brigadier General of the Union Army.
5. Why is Dennis A. Mahony arrested in Chapter 3?
(a) For breaking up a recruitment rally.
(b) For bringing illegal goods across picket lines.
(c) For selling alcohol to Union troops.
(d) For discouraging enlistments.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is John Merryman arrested in Chapter 1?
2. What do William Seward and George McClelland approve in Chapter 1?
3. Whom does General Grant expel from Tennessee for violating Treasury regulations?
4. Why does the War Department arrest telegraphers in four major cities in 1864?
5. Which unpopular bill does Congress pass on July 17, 1862?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton's General Order No. 104?
2. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
3. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
4. What is the purpose of John A. Marshall's book, "The American Bastile"?
5. How are military commissions used during the Civil War?
6. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
7. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
8. Why do mobs from Baltimore burn bridges in 1861?
9. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
10. How does the War Department combat corruption during the Civil War?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)