|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which book of John A. Marshall's is well read among Lincoln's critics?
(a) Low Tide for Liberty.
(b) The Merryman.
(c) The American Bastile.
(d) The Prisoner of State.
2. Whom does Lincoln turn to for advice when Baltimore mobs burn railroad bridges?
(a) William H. Seward.
(b) Ulysses S. Grant.
(c) Edwin M. Stanton.
(d) Edward Bates.
3. In 1864, what bogus presidential proclamation is published in the New York "World" and the "Journal of Commerce"?
(a) An announcement of a truce.
(b) A report of new taxes being levied by Lincoln.
(c) The announcement of a new 400,000-man draft.
(d) A report of a White House fire.
4. Why is Dennis A. Mahony arrested in Chapter 3?
(a) For bringing illegal goods across picket lines.
(b) For discouraging enlistments.
(c) For selling alcohol to Union troops.
(d) For breaking up a recruitment rally.
5. What is the verdict in Joseph Griffin's case?
(a) Mr. Griffin is awarded damages equaling the cost of his inventory.
(b) Captain Wilcox does have the right to arrest Mr. Griffin.
(c) Mr. Griffin is jailed for being a Confederate sympathizer.
(d) Captain Wilcox does not have the right to arrest Mr. Griffin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do William Seward and George McClelland approve in Chapter 1?
2. Which famous case will refer to Samuel Perkins' arguments in 1966?
3. Which unpopular bill does Congress pass on July 17, 1862?
4. How many civilian arrests does William Seward preside over in Chapter 1?
5. Why does the War Department arrest telegraphers in four major cities in 1864?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dennis A. Mahony arrested?
2. Describe Henry W. Halleck.
3. How is the scorched earth policy used during the Civil War?
4. How are military commissions used during the Civil War?
5. Why do mobs from Baltimore burn bridges in 1861?
6. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
7. Describe the Militia Act of 1862.
8. How does the War Department combat corruption during the Civil War?
9. How does Lincoln's decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus divide politicians in 1861?
10. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)