|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
(a) 20,000 citizens are banished from the state of Missouri.
(b) 13,433 citizens of Missouri are arrested by Union forces.
(c) Military execution of civilian spies is abolished.
(d) 237 civillians from Missouri are executed by Union soldiers.
2. Which fraudulent company's office does the War Department raid in 1864?
(a) Bell & Green.
(b) Green Brothers, Inc.
(c) Bell South.
(d) John Deere.
3. Who produces a digest of opinions on martial law for President Lincoln in Chapter 1?
(a) Edwin M. Stanton.
(b) William H. Seward.
(c) Titian J. Coffey.
(d) Edward Bates.
4. In Chapter 5, what do some of the men that Watson has arrested offer Charles Dana?
(a) A chance to learn the names of Confederate spies.
(b) Alcohol for Union troops.
(c) The location of Confederate forces.
(d) A bribe to free them and return their files.
5. In Chapter 5, why does the Union Army close down nine firms and arrest 97 employees and owners?
(a) For brokering Army enlistments.
(b) For selling alcohol to Union troops.
(c) For bringing illegal goods across picket lines.
(d) For running good through blockades.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who intervenes on Abraham Friedenreich's behalf?
2. What type of state is Missouri described as being in Chapter 2?
3. In 1864, what bogus presidential proclamation is published in the New York "World" and the "Journal of Commerce"?
4. Whom does Lincoln turn to for advice when Baltimore mobs burn railroad bridges?
5. Why does General William S. Harney refuse to release Captain Emmett McDonald?
Short Essay Questions
1. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
2. What is the result of Joseph Griffin's suit against Captain Frank Wilcox?
3. How does the War Department combat corruption during the Civil War?
4. How is the press used by the Confederate supporters in 1864 to create panic in New York?
5. How are military commissions used during the Civil War?
6. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
7. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
8. How are Jews treated by the Union in Chapter 5?
9. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
10. Describe the Militia Act of 1862.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)