|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does General Order No. 104 request that civilian and military authorities do?
(a) Interfere as little as possible with commerce while capturing draft dodgers.
(b) Report all strangers and suspected derelicts to the Union Army.
(c) Turn in all information about spies and suspicious personnel.
(d) Place all thieves and blockade runners under arrest.
2. What is the name of the military strategy which orders the complete destruction of enemy property or resources?
(a) A scorched earth policy.
(b) Attrition warfare.
(c) Napoleonic policy.
(d) Maneuver warfare.
3. Why does Clement L. Vallandigham's arrest cause widespread Democratic protests?
(a) He was once a member of the U.S. Congress.
(b) He was arrested without legal precedent.
(c) He is a well read author.
(d) He is a respected preacher.
4. How many civilian arrests does William Seward preside over in Chapter 1?
5. According to Lincoln, why are multiple arrests made in Maryland in Chapter 1?
(a) To silence political dissenters.
(b) To undermine an assassination plot.
(c) To prevent unrest and preserve the Union.
(d) To break up a ring of Confederate spies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Henry W. Halleck?
2. Who is nicknamed the "Beast of New Orleans"?
3. What happens to Assistant Judge William M. Merrick in Chapter 1?
4. In Chapter 5, why does the Union Army close down nine firms and arrest 97 employees and owners?
5. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Francis Lieber recommend trials by military commission in 1864?
2. How does Clement Vallandingham's arrest affect the political climate of the North?
3. Who is Ezra B. Chase?
4. According to Lincoln, what differentiates his actions from that of a dictator?
5. Why does Andrew D. Duff predict that President Lincoln will not allow voting in November of 1864?
6. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
7. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
8. What controversy arises between Peter H. Watson and a Union Senator in Chapter 5?
9. How does Lincoln's decision to suspend the writ of habeas corpus divide politicians in 1861?
10. Who is Chauncey Burr?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)