|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the verdict in Joseph Griffin's case?
(a) Captain Wilcox does have the right to arrest Mr. Griffin.
(b) Mr. Griffin is awarded damages equaling the cost of his inventory.
(c) Captain Wilcox does not have the right to arrest Mr. Griffin.
(d) Mr. Griffin is jailed for being a Confederate sympathizer.
2. What are the most common reasons for civilian arrest between 1863 and 1864?
(a) Blockade running and smuggling.
(b) Stealing food and supplies from the Union forces.
(c) Evading the draft.
(d) Publishing anti-Union articles.
3. How does Dennis A. Mahony secure his release?
(a) He swears an oath of loyalty to the Union.
(b) He writes and publishes articles about prision life.
(c) His lawyer threatens to take the Union general to court.
(d) He bribes the warden.
4. What do William Seward and George McClelland approve in Chapter 1?
(a) An attack plan for Missouri.
(b) A collection of international civil liberty laws.
(c) A list of Confederate supporters.
(d) A list of Maryland lawmakers who may be arrested.
5. What is the Militia Act designed to prevent?
(a) Dereliction of duty.
(b) Evasion of military duty.
(d) Spies from crossing Union lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Samuel E. Perkins do in Chapter 4?
2. Why is Chauncey Burr arrested in Chapter 3?
3. When is Abraham Lincoln inaugurated?
4. What does Provost Marshal General Bernard G. Farrar declare in light of General Paine's arrests in Chapter 2?
5. Which newspaper does Chauncey Burr publish in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are military commissions used during the Civil War?
2. What is the purpose of John A. Marshall's book, "The American Bastile"?
3. How do Union officials react to reports of torture from prisoners of war?
4. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
5. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
6. What is the result of Joseph Griffin's suit against Captain Frank Wilcox?
7. Why does Lincoln suspend the writ of habeas corpus of rail routes from Philadelphia to Washington in April of 1861?
8. Why is Edmund J. Ellis banished from Missouri?
9. Describe Henry W. Halleck.
10. How is the press used by the Confederate supporters in 1864 to create panic in New York?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)