|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is John Merryman arrested in Chapter 1?
(a) For raising forces for the Confederacy.
(b) For shooting his slaves.
(c) For bringing illegal goods across picket lines.
(d) For selling alcohol to Union troops.
2. Which unpopular bill does Congress pass on July 17, 1862?
(a) The Writ Act.
(b) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(c) The Habeas Corpus Act.
(d) The Militia Act.
3. What is the verdict in Joseph Griffin's case?
(a) Captain Wilcox does not have the right to arrest Mr. Griffin.
(b) Mr. Griffin is awarded damages equaling the cost of his inventory.
(c) Mr. Griffin is jailed for being a Confederate sympathizer.
(d) Captain Wilcox does have the right to arrest Mr. Griffin.
4. Who are the Prisoners of State?
(a) Felons captured behind enemy lines.
(b) Civilians arrested by the military.
(c) Union military felons.
(d) Uniformed Confederate captives.
5. Whom does Lincoln turn to for advice when Baltimore mobs burn railroad bridges?
(a) William H. Seward.
(b) Edward Bates.
(c) Edwin M. Stanton.
(d) Ulysses S. Grant.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, on what charge are civilians who burn bridges typically tried?
2. Which group of Americans is excluded from Grant's order in Chapter 4?
3. Why is Nathaniel Bachelder arrested in Chapter 3?
4. Which newspaper does Chauncey Burr publish in Chapter 3?
5. What type of state is Missouri described as being in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What controversy does General Paine create when he arrests 100 citizens?
2. How does General Grant respond to the guerrilla tactics of John Singleton Mosby?
3. How does the War Department combat corruption during the Civil War?
4. Why is Dennis A. Mahony arrested?
5. What is the result of Brigadier General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11?
6. How is the scorched earth policy used during the Civil War?
7. What is the purpose of the Enrollment Act?
8. Why does General John C. Frymont close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law?
9. Why does Lincoln suspend the writ of habeas corpus of rail routes from Philadelphia to Washington in April of 1861?
10. How are Jews treated by the Union in Chapter 5?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)