|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What orders does President Lincoln give General Benjamin F. Butler and General-in-Chief Winfield Scott in Chapter 1?
(a) Free those in chains, chain those who fight.
(b) Attack on sight.
(c) Watch, wait and be ready to respond.
(d) Arrest any who resist.
2. Who produces a digest of opinions on martial law for President Lincoln in Chapter 1?
(a) William H. Seward.
(b) Titian J. Coffey.
(c) Edwin M. Stanton.
(d) Edward Bates.
3. Why does Joseph Griffin sue Captain Frank Wilcox for false imprisonment?
(a) He is a legal citizen of the United States.
(b) Martial law does not give the right to confiscate private property.
(c) He has a license to sell alcohol.
(d) He is a loyal citizen of the Union.
4. What does General John C. Frymont do in Chapter 2?
(a) Close the New Orleans "State Journal" and declare martial law.
(b) Shoot citizens in a St. Louis mob.
(c) Close the St. Louis "State Journal" and declare martial law.
(d) Arrest 143 rioters in the city of St. Louis.
5. Why does Clement L. Vallandigham's arrest cause widespread Democratic protests?
(a) He was once a member of the U.S. Congress.
(b) He was arrested without legal precedent.
(c) He is a well read author.
(d) He is a respected preacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ulysses S. Grant respond to General Paine's decision to arrest 100 citizens?
2. Why is Nathaniel Bachelder arrested in Chapter 3?
3. Who is Joseph Aubuchon?
4. What does Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles confide in his diary?
5. How do the Confederates plan on reacting to Grant's order in Chapter 4?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)