|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What orders does President Lincoln give General Benjamin F. Butler and General-in-Chief Winfield Scott in Chapter 1?
(a) Free those in chains, chain those who fight.
(b) Arrest any who resist.
(c) Attack on sight.
(d) Watch, wait and be ready to respond.
2. Why is Nathaniel Bachelder arrested in Chapter 3?
(a) For selling alcohol to Union troops.
(b) For warning recruits they will go to hell.
(c) For raising forces for the Confederacy.
(d) For bringing illegal goods across picket lines.
3. Which book of John A. Marshall's is well read among Lincoln's critics?
(a) Low Tide for Liberty.
(b) The Prisoner of State.
(c) The Merryman.
(d) The American Bastile.
4. Why does William Seward feel it necessary to suspend the writ of habeas corpus?
(a) To undermine any potential assassination plots.
(b) To silence political dissenters.
(c) In order to allow the arrest of Confederate spies.
(d) To preserve the organization and morale of national forces.
5. Dennis A. Mahony is editor of which newspaper in Chapter 3?
(a) The Dubuque "Herald."
(b) The "American Bastile."
(c) The "Merryman."
(d) The Newark "Evening Journal."
Short Answer Questions
1. Which unpopular bill does Congress pass on July 17, 1862?
2. How does Lincoln justify the suppression of such constitutional rights such as freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and habeas corpus?
3. What war time legal practice is revived due to the rise of guerilla warfare in America?
4. What decision does General John C. Frymont make about Joseph Aubuchon?
5. What does Attorney General Edward Bates prepare for President Lincoln in Chapter 1?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)