|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of state is Missouri described as being in Chapter 2?
(a) A rebellious state.
(b) A loyal state.
(c) A Confederate state.
(d) A neutral state.
2. When is Abraham Lincoln inaugurated?
(a) January 20, 1862.
(b) November 2, 1864.
(c) March 4, 1861.
(d) May 1, 1860.
3. What war time legal practice is revived due to the rise of guerilla warfare in America?
(a) Seizure of property.
(b) Military commissions.
(d) Execution squads.
4. How does Ulysses S. Grant respond to General Paine's decision to arrest 100 citizens?
(a) He sends a report of Paine's actions to President Lincoln.
(b) He insists the citizens be given due process.
(c) He applauds Paine's actions.
(d) He orders the immediate release of all non-military personnel.
5. Who is Edmund J. Ellis?
(a) A Union soldier tried for treason in a military commission.
(b) A Missouri civil officer of the law.
(c) A Missouri civilian tried for treason in a military commission.
(d) Editor of the "Boone County Standard."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Henry W. Halleck?
2. Dennis A. Mahony is editor of which newspaper in Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 2, on what charge are civilians who burn bridges typically tried?
4. Who produces a digest of opinions on martial law for President Lincoln in Chapter 1?
5. Why is Nathaniel Bachelder arrested in Chapter 3?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)