|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to President Lincoln, why would many civilian detainees have been in prison even with the right of habeas corpus?
(a) Friction and abrasion accompany war.
(b) Providence judges the unjust.
(c) The guilty are proven guilty.
(d) Innocence is easily determined.
2. Which 20th century historian depicts Lincoln as a merciful humanitarian caught in between preserving the Union and violating civil rights?
(a) James G. Randall.
(b) Dean Sprague.
(c) James McPherson.
(d) Frank Klement.
3. Who is the presidential nominee for the Democratic party in 1864?
(a) John V. L. Pruyn.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) George B. McClellan.
(d) Sidney Cromwell.
4. In Chapter 9, why does the Illinois State Register accept martial law fait accompli?
(a) To prevent further damage to property or commerce.
(b) It has already been established and appears unchangeable.
(c) The safety of the citizens is more important than liberty.
(d) It has a legal precedent.
5. What does General Order No. 104 request that civilian and military authorities do?
(a) Report all strangers and suspected derelicts to the Union Army.
(b) Turn in all information about spies and suspicious personnel.
(c) Place all thieves and blockade runners under arrest.
(d) Interfere as little as possible with commerce while capturing draft dodgers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Edwin M. Stanton?
2. Which newspaper does Chauncey Burr publish in Chapter 3?
3. According to Colonel F. C. Ainsworth's study, how many civilian prisoners were detained during the Civil War?
4. Which Democratic supporter gives a speech during the 1864 campaigns claiming that emancipation will make postwar reunion difficult?
5. Who are the Copperheads?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)