Chapter 1, A Woman Named Thursday Next, Chapter 2, Gad's Hill, and Chapter 3, Back at my Desk
• Thursday Next, a literary detective for SpecOps, is introduced as the protagonist and narrator.
• Thursday's father, who used to work for the ChronoGuard and is now on the run, is introduced, and slows time when he visits her.
• The Crimea War, which has been going on for over 130 years, is introduced.
• Thursday fought in the Crimean War and lost her brother there.
• Thursday is called to Gad's Hill Palace, the location of the Dickens' Museum, where Thursday designed the security system in place.
• The original manuscript of Martin Chuzzlewit has been stolen.
• Aside from an abnormality in the glass on the display case, there is no evidence at the scene.
• The surveillance tapes reveal nothing; it appears that the manuscript vanished into thin air.
• Landon Park-Laine, who was Anton's best friend and Thursday's...
This section contains 2,388 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)