|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his lifetime, Rumi was revered for his attitude of religious tolerance and:
(c) Brutal honesty.
2. In a poem in Chapter 2, Book 2, what does the king discover about himself after the girl he loves receives medical attention?
(a) He's no longer in love with the girl.
(b) He's in love with the girl's doctor.
(c) He's afraid of becoming ill.
(d) He is incapable of true love.
3. What kind of leader is Rumi for his people?
(a) Religious and political.
(b) Judicial and political.
(c) Judicial only.
(d) Religious only.
4. The third poem in Book 2, Chapter 3 mentions:
5. Who is Kharraqani?
Short Answer Questions
1. In one poem in Book 2, Chapter 1, Rumi states that every sheik rides a lion, whether that lion is:
2. Wanting to help the sick girl he loves, the king in a poem in Chapter 2, Book 2 decides to do what?
3. In Book 2, Chapter 3, Ayaz is able to follow orders, but is also able to go beyond being just:
4. The "Solomon Poems" are devoted to the spiritual life, referring to:
5. The "Huuuu" mentioned in Book 2, Chapter 3 is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the primary moral of the "Town and Country" story?
2. According to Rumi, what limitations does one individual experience when trying to comprehend what another person is feeling?
3. What is the outcome for each of three fish in one of Rumi's poems?
4. What happens to the three brothers who fall in love with a powerful princess?
5. What are some of the lessons inherent in the story of the Friend assisting the prisoner through the prayer rug?
6. Instead of doing battle on the military field, what should a good ruler strive for, according to Rumi?
7. How does Rumi use his story of a poor man who is healed to explain the nature of God?
8. Why does Rumi advise people to let go of scriptures after reading them?
9. Does Rumi disagree with holy scriptures?
10. In the story where the king is in love with a girl, what ailment has afflicted her?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)