|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Solomon Poems : Chapter 3, New Section.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Analyzing Rumi's poetry can be challenging because it is clear at points and:
(a) Reckless now and again.
(b) Funny at times.
(c) Offensive in places.
(d) Elusive in other ways.
2. In Book 2, Chapter 3, Ayaz is able to follow orders, but is also able to go beyond being just:
(a) A crafty spy.
(b) A naive cook.
(c) A devoted husband.
(d) A simple follower.
3. When Coleman Barks first started reading Rumi's works, what types of words turned him away?
(a) Love and hate.
(b) Heart and soul.
(c) Shame and guilt.
(d) Life and death.
4. Which of the three brothers in Chapter 2, Book 2 ends up marrying the Chinese princess in the end?
5. What is one of the central teachings of Rumi?
(a) The elimination of sin.
(b) The desire for power.
(c) The cultivation of love.
(d) The search for eternal youth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Much of Rumi's poetry is:
2. When the man in a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2 accidentally soils himself, what does his host and friend do?
3. Are Rumi's friends mentioned directly in his poems?
4. What happens to the second son who tries to woo a Chinese princess in one of Rumi's poems in Chapter 2, Book 2?
5. In "Town and Country," when the shopkeeper visits his friend in the country, what does the countryside man do?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)