|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Solomon Poems : Chapter 3, New Section.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The purpose of Coleman Barks' preambles to Rumi's poems is to:
(a) Expand upon Barks' discomfort with each.
(b) Get the reader to come up with his or her own judgments.
(c) Help the reader interpret each poem.
(d) Add a new twist to the message of each poem.
2. Rumi indicates that people who have blind faith are following this path through what?
(b) Joy and willpower.
(d) Fear and compulsion.
3. In a poem in Chapter 2, Book 2, what does the king discover about himself after the girl he loves receives medical attention?
(a) He's in love with the girl's doctor.
(b) He's no longer in love with the girl.
(c) He's afraid of becoming ill.
(d) He is incapable of true love.
4. What is a Caliph?
5. In one of Rumi's stories in Book 2, Chapter 1, a man is healed by what?
(a) Gentle, caring hands.
(b) Blind faith.
(c) Willpower and herbs.
(d) Rough and thorough discipline.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the end, how does the King regard Ayaz in a poem in Book 1, Chapter 3?
2. Rumi wrote freely about various religious figures because he was familiar with them and:
3. During his lifetime, Rumi was revered for his attitude of religious tolerance and:
4. In one of the poems in Chapter 2, Book 2, a king falls in love with a girl and decides to do what?
5. Who is Hallaj?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)