|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 3, Union through Rough Metaphor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Rumi's string metaphor, the string connects two animals by their what?
2. In a poem in Book 1, Chapter 3 involving a complicated love triangle consisting of a man and two women, Rumi explores what subjects?
(a) Humor and tragedy.
(b) Lust and disgust.
(c) Love, jealousy, and fear.
(d) Reconciliation, division, and uncertainty.
3. Rumi asserts that the union between a man and a woman has what associated with it?
(a) Earthly connection.
(b) Emotional baggage.
(c) Hint of sadness.
(d) Spiritual component.
4. After Shams went away the first time, how did he return?
(a) He accompanied a group of nomads.
(b) He came back via boat.
(c) Rumi sent out searchers to bring him back.
(d) Rumi promised a promotion if he came back.
5. Much of Rumi's poetry is:
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to being a religious leader, Rumi was a what?
2. According to Rumi, people who choose from their own free will come from:
3. When speaking to the camel in the story in Book 1, Chapter 3, the mouse admits that it is what?
4. Rumi's short-story poems range from less than fifty lines to approximately what length?
5. The poem "On Being A Lover" is written in what format?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)