|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 3, Union through Rough Metaphor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Over time, Coleman Barks' feelings about the messages in Rumi's poetry have what?
(a) Grown in contempt.
(c) Remained the same.
(d) Grown in confusion.
2. What elevates Rumi's poems beyond a simple collection of ideas?
(a) His use of diagrams.
(b) Rich imagery.
(c) Confounding words.
(d) His references to other cultures.
3. When the animal soul Rumi writes about is in proper balance, it:
(a) Supports the human.
(c) Endangers the human.
(d) Brings about defeat.
4. In addition to being a religious leader, Rumi was a what?
5. How many additional poems were translated and included in the New Expanded Edition?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened after Shams disappeared a second time?
2. In the poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, where several men fall in love with the same woman, her physical beauty is really a representation of what?
3. In the book, Coleman Barks is the author of what?
4. Rumi indicates that people who have blind faith are following this path through what?
5. Rumi uses the metaphor of a string between two animals to represent what?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)