|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Solomon Poems : Chapter 2, Beginning to the Turn.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In one of the love stories of Chapter 2, Book 2, what happens when three sons meet a powerful Chinese princess?
(a) They fall into the river.
(b) They become her prisoners.
(c) They fall in love with her.
(d) They become her husbands.
2. At times, God appears in Rumi's poems as a presence and at other times God is compared to:
(a) The Judge.
(b) The Tempter.
(c) The Friend.
(d) The Professor.
3. Before responding to the king's command in a poem in Book 1, Chapter 3, what does Ayaz do?
(a) Consults with the King's daughter.
(b) Prays to God for guidance.
(c) Reads at least forty books to learn how others handled the situation.
(d) Notices how at least thirty other men respond to the command.
4. In addition to educating his listeners and readers, Rumi strives to:
5. Who is Kharraqani?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the animal soul that Rumi refers to is lacking, it leads to what?
2. What elevates Rumi's poems beyond a simple collection of ideas?
3. In a poem in Chapter 2, Book 2, what does the king discover about himself after the girl he loves receives medical attention?
4. According to Rumi, when the individual ego disappears and dissipates into God, this can be understood as what?
5. In one poem in Book 2, Chapter 1, Rumi uses the image of Jesus Christ riding atop a donkey to explain a lesson about what?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)