|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Solomon Poems : Chapter 2, Beginning to the Turn.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the second son who tries to woo a Chinese princess in one of Rumi's poems in Chapter 2, Book 2?
(a) He falls off the edge of the world.
(b) He's killed by someone.
(c) He becomes lost at sea.
(d) He's captured and never seen again.
2. What happens to King Solomon's crown in one of the poems in Book 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Drops into the ocean.
(b) Is carried away by four birds.
(c) Is stolen by four thieves.
(d) Keeps sliding down his forehead.
3. Themes that run through the love stories found at the beginning of Chapter 2, Book 2, include:
(a) Maturity and wisdom.
(b) Pettiness, indifference, and boredom.
(c) Selflessness and gentle devotion.
(d) Obsession, temptation, and craziness.
4. In the poem "Meadowsounds," Rumi devotes two lines to:
5. The poem "On Being A Lover" is written in what format?
(a) Diary entry of a man who has lost his lover.
(b) Recollection by an old man of his younger years.
(c) Song of lament by a woman who has lost her lover.
(d) Question and answer session between a man and a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What elevates Rumi's poems beyond a simple collection of ideas?
2. In the story of three fish that possess some measure of intelligence, found in Book 2, Chapter 1, who do the fish face?
3. In some of his poems, Rumi refers to religious figures:
4. What happened after Shams disappeared a second time?
5. In addition to being one of his students and his scribe, Husam Chelebi was Rumi's:
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)