|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many moons are in orbit around Beta Pac III?
2. How does Hutch respond?
3. How long will the flight take?
4. At what level of advancement is the technology on the space station?
5. What does a closer inspection of the telescope they hit reveal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of structures do the landing party on Beta Pacifica III find that make no sense?
2. What do the various team members from Quraqua do back on Earth?
3. Who was attacked by the crab like creatures on Beta Pacifica III?
4. What is the anomaly on the moon that is designated as Three-B?
5. Why does Hutch fake a communications malfunction before the Wincklemann is scheduled to leave?
6. What events transpire as a result of Maggie's comment?
7. What does Hutch realize that makes the sacrifice of a crew member unnecessary?
8. How does Harvey and his recovery team manage to locate Maggie to bring her back?
9. Who leaves to pursue the premise that Hutch has outlined, and where to they go?
10. After donning Flickinger harnesses, magnetic boots, and arming themselves with pulsars, what discoveries are made inside the space station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are discontinuities? How are they described by the different races that experience them? How are they described by those who come afterward? What pattern emerges as more are discovered? What assumptions are made by those who uncover them? What eventual pattern is seen by Hutch and what conclusions are drawn as a result?
Essay Topic 2
What decision is made that leaves the ground crew in a precarious position? What makes the ground crew wonder if they are going to lose their lives? Who closes in on their position and reinforces their thoughts that they are in harm's way? How is that reinforced and why? What do they tell their new arrival to do in order to ensure their safety?
Essay Topic 3
What is the eventual outcome of the crew of the Wincklemann? How many members remain, and what positions do they hold afterward? What is attempted by Meg Campbell aboard the Pasquarella? What is the outcome? What conclusions are reached about the Monument Makers? What suggestion made by Hutch is found to be correct and why? What discovery supports her conclusions?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)