|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long will the flight take?
2. What does Hutch's mother write to remind her?
3. What similarity does Hutch grasp about the discontinuities?
4. What does Frank tell Hutch on her birthday?
5. Who acts as guide for Harvey's mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hutch believe they have to do in order to discover the truth behind what is going on?
2. What surprises the Wincklemann when they drop out of their transdimentional jump?
3. What revelation does Hutch have that she wakes Carson to share with him?
4. How do the members of Wincklemann's crew amuse themselves on the long ride to Beta Pacifica?
5. What do the crew of the Catherine Perch note about the planet Beta Pacifica III as they approach it on April 11th?
6. What news does the physician aboard the Catherine Perth give Carson and Janet?
7. What do the boarding crew notice on approach to the orbiting space station?
8. What is the outcome of their collision?
9. What is Captain Morris's biggest concern as he watches Maggie's body being recovered from a close circuit camera with Melanie?
10. How does Harvey and his recovery team manage to locate Maggie to bring her back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the only thing that can interfere with the planned mission to find the home planet of the Monument Makers once Hutch and the rest of the crew are on board? What does Hutch do to avoid that likelihood? What happens afterward that justifies her fears of cancellation? How does Hutch respond to the instructions from the Academy and why? What were those instructions and what reason was given for them?
Essay Topic 2
What equipment do Hutch and Frank request from Melanie and the Catherine Perch? Who approves the equipment loan and what will it be used for? What else is loaned other than equipment? What ship do Hutch and Frank have access to, and who grants them permission to do so? How long after the Catherine Perch arrives did this ship come? What is the second ship's original mandate?
Essay Topic 3
Who were the Monument Makers? What evidence of their existence is found by those exploring space afterward? What mystery surrounds their existence? What did they look like, and how do those who follow much later come to this conclusion? What similarities were discovered in monuments on Quraquat and on Iapetus? What conclusions were drawn as a result of this discovery?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)