|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What revelation do these calculations lead Frank to?
(a) The discontinuities are all eight thousand years apart.
(b) The discontinuities are done.
(c) Another alignment is due soon.
(d) Another alignment is not due for several hundred years.
2. How large is it?
(a) 230 km in diameter.
(b) 2,300 km in diameter.
(c) 230,000 km in diameter.
(d) 23,000 km in diameter.
3. What does Hutch finally realize?
(a) That a pulsar can be used to thaw the snow and frozen atmosphere.
(b) That food will run out anyway.
(c) That she is afraid.
(d) That she made a mistake in coming.
4. What is Maggie worried about?
(a) Leaving without her luggage.
(b) Being able to get there, investigate and leave undetected.
(c) Losing another team member.
(d) Ignoring the message to abort.
5. How long will it be before the Ashley Tee arrives?
(a) Eleven days.
(b) Thirteen days.
(c) Fourteen days.
(d) Twelve days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Carson want to know the last time the four moons were in alignment?
2. What does a closer inspection of the telescope they hit reveal?
3. What timing does Carson believe ir right for the wave and Earth?
4. What does the anomaly look like?
5. Who is the first to cross after Hutch secures a cable to the abandoned space station?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hutch realize that makes the sacrifice of a crew member unnecessary?
2. Why does Hutch fake a communications malfunction before the Wincklemann is scheduled to leave?
3. When they arrive at LCO4418 and select a moon to begin working, what occurs and how do they respond?
4. Who leaves to pursue the premise that Hutch has outlined, and where to they go?
5. What does the Academy endorse, to the surprise of many involved?
6. How does Harvey and his recovery team manage to locate Maggie to bring her back?
7. What do Hutch and Frank discover as they dig into the discontinuities further?
8. What authorization comes with the Ashley Tee, and who else notifies them that they are on the way?
9. What do the boarding crew notice on approach to the orbiting space station?
10. What is the outcome of their collision?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)