|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does no one on board the Wincklemann realize?
(a) How much guilt Melanie feels.
(b) How deeply Richard's death affects Hutch.
(c) How badly Maggie feels.
(d) How much damage was sustained to the shuttle.
2. Where is Hutch?
(a) In the southern region trying to reach Helm.
(b) On board Wincklemann praying they get to the shuttle.
(c) Orbiting low, waiting for a call to come in.
(d) Sitting on the surface waiting to evacuate the last members.
3. What does Hutch have to do to get free?
(a) Take off with more acceleration and speed than normal.
(b) Take off in unsecured mode.
(c) Take off early and with cargo bay still open.
(d) Take off on a sharp angle.
4. When Hutch regains control, what does she discover?
(a) That she is way off course.
(b) The shuttle is damaged.
(c) The chases fell out.
(d) Richard is gone.
5. What strength will the earthquakes that follow the explosions be?
(a) 14.2 on the Grover Scale.
(b) 18.4 on the Grovener Scale.
(c) 16.3 on the Grovener Scale.
(d) 12.6 on the Grovener Scale.
6. What pattern does Richard believe exists?
(a) A pattern to the Towers.
(b) A pattern to Oz.
(c) A pattern to the stars.
(d) A pattern to the discontinuities.
7. What does Harvey convey to Melanie?
(a) That he doesn't care what she wants.
(b) That Ian Helm is not responding.
(c) That they should wait another day.
(d) That he thinks they should go ahead anyway.
8. Where is Richard when Hutch is forced to take off?
(a) Hanging on the cable.
(b) Stuck in the Lower Temple.
(c) Unconscious in the dive room.
(d) In his quarters below.
9. How many researchers are currently working in extrasolar stations according to the Boston Globe?
(a) Eighteen hundred.
(b) Eighteen thousand.
(c) Eighty thousand.
(d) Twenty eight hundred.
10. What arrives on Wincklemann for Richard?
(a) A message from home.
(b) A holograph from David Emory.
(c) A Presidential congratulations.
(d) An offer to do more field work.
11. What problem prevents them from recovering the press?
(a) The tunnel has completely collapsed.
(b) The tunnel is not clear enough to get at it.
(c) The press is destroyed.
(d) The press is pushed behind large debris.
12. Who warns the scientists about the coming snowball?
(a) Melanie Truscott.
(b) Tommy Loughery.
(c) George Hackett.
(d) Jake Hoffer.
13. What did the Scrivners predict?
(a) A discontinuity.
(b) A polar shift.
(c) A war.
(d) An earthquake.
14. Why is the Wincklemann unable to help?
(a) They can't locate Hutch.
(b) They can't get there in time.
(c) They don't have the excess fuel.
(d) There is no pilot on board.
15. What does Ian convey to Melanie?
(a) That he is interested in her.
(b) That he is not about to hesitate.
(c) That explosives will be rigged without failsafes.
(d) That the archaeologists may need a push to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is surprising about the figure Harry discovers in the friezes on the Temple?
2. What does Melanie make sure Hutch is aware of?
3. Who does Melanie call for assistance?
4. What does this find reveal?
5. What is the terraforming project called?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)