|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the job of "A.M.-M"?
(c) Garbage hauler.
(d) Keeper of the third door.
2. What was Yelma Deresa's position in the government?
(a) Minister of Finance.
(b) Minster of Security.
(c) Minister of the Pen.
(d) Minister of Information.
3. On page 47, what did "G.H.-M." say his nickname was at the Palace?
(d) Sticky fingers.
4. How many lived in Addis Ababa in 1963?
(a) About seven hundred thousand.
(b) Six hundred thousand.
(c) A few hundred thousand.
(d) Five hundred thousand.
5. Where were birds being observed in the quote at the beginning of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many main factions were there in the palace?
2. Who was the leader of the aristocrats?
3. What amounts might ministers come to the Emperor asking for approval?
4. What was the name of the dog that slept on the Emperor's bed?
5. How long did "G.S.-D" perform the job of placing a pillow under the Emperor's feet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the Emperor's sleeping habits?
2. Why would the ministers stay around the Palace all morning rather than being in their offices?
3. What happened when the Emperor brought the first airplane from Europe in the twenties?
4. Where did the Imperial court used to be located before Addis Abab became the capital of the Empire?
5. How was justice dispensed in the itinerant period of the Empire?
6. How did Haile Selassie dispense judgment?
7. On page 47, why was "G.H.-M." called cuckoo behind his back?
8. What was the background of the "personal people" in the palace, and what type of jobs did they hold?
9. Why did the Emperor have Tekele Wolda Hawariat beheaded?
10. In 1963, what did Kapuscinski see when he went outside to find a quiet place at the African leaders' reception?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)