|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes Ralph a letter that invites him to reapply for official permission to excavate?
2. What does Ralph call the room after the room with the columns?
3. Ahmed awakens Ralph and says that he and the workers are going to work for whom?
4. According to Ralph, whose mysteries and riddles remain unsolved for millennia?
5. Why does Quint think that Ralph survived the war and didn't die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ralph do to the columns in the sixth room?
2. What is the subject of, and to whom, has Ralph been sending anonymous telegrams about CCF?
3. What impact does Ralph believe archaeologists have on ancient history?
4. What does Ralph want to do when he is crying about not being able to open the ninth chamber?
5. How does Ferrell know that Ralph is lying, and what is Ralph lying to Ferrell about?
6. How does Ralph die?
7. What does Ralph fetch, supposedly on Carter's orders?
8. How does Ralph look when Ferrell finds him in town?
9. What does Ferrell find at the bonfire after realizing that Ralph and CCF didn't use their tickets to board the ship?
10. What does Ralph place in the first and second chambers after he decorates the first chamber?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is this book a history, biography or detective story? Is it part of all three? Answer these questions using examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, compare and contrast the way Ralph and Ferrell use their imaginations to help them towards fame.
Essay Topic 3
How does the theme of immortality affect the characters in the book? What definition of immortality is used by the various characters? Cite specific examples in support of your answer.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)